How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people who are selling the "new model in 2022" angle are going to have much success with that hype train anymore. People have had enough of being hyped up and it leading to nothing.

2023 maybe? 2024 more likely. Nintendo doesn't give a crap about when enthusiasts think they should launch anything or what their inside info is saying.

I honestly could not care less about a hype train, I'm just following where all the evidence is leading. Kopite's info is probably as solid as any spec info can be, if he has access to code names and details now I don't think it's terribly logical for this chip to not be seen for over two years, since the design is finalized and it's likely beginning production.

People aren't pulling the spec details out of their assess, it's very likely there are some third parties aware of the plans.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have studios already saying that either Nintendo update their hardware or they will turn the Switch into a new 3DS. Nintendo doesn't exist in a bubble and the Switch won't keep selling well forever. 2024 is a death kneel, but feel free to believe anything you like.

I'm not buying any kool aid on a 2022 model without serious reciepts at this point. And no, really, there's was deathly no chatter on any software development for a "Switch Pro" like ever. I kept saying that it was way too quiet, we should have been getting software leaks or more concrete murmurs from actual developers months ago.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly could not care less about a hype train, I'm just following where all the evidence is leading. Kopite's info is probably as solid as any spec info can be, if he has access to code names and details now I don't think it's terribly logical for this chip to not be seen for over two years, since the design is finalized and it's likely beginning production.

People aren't pulling the spec details out of their assess, it's very likely there are some third parties aware of the plans.

Is Nintendo working on a chip for a Switch 2? Sure.

I don't think that means it's coming out any time soon at all.

I suspect late 2023 might've been their goal/target pre-COVID, but a lot of people also don't understand still that COVID probably has pushed all major software/hardware schedules backwards a year minimum and that has to be factored in also.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is trying to sell 2022. In fact Most Insiders started off by saying 2022. It was when Bloomberg and the specific reporter who has typically had an amazing track record with Nintendo started saying this year that people started to accept 2021.

It seems very likely wires got crossed when discussing devices coming.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Is Nintendo working on a chip for a Switch 2? Sure.
We have a bit too much info for a chip which is being "worked on by Nintendo" for a late 2023 release.
Such chip would exist in early design stages right now with even feature set not being fully committed to.
So that chip which is supposed to support DLSS and 4K? This one should be ready for production way earlier than late 2023.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
No one is trying to sell 2022. In fact Most Insiders started off by saying 2022. It was when Bloomberg and the specific reporter who has typically had an amazing track record with Nintendo started saying this year that people started to accept 2021.

It seems very likely wires got crossed when discussing devices coming.

We definitely got some confusion because two devices are being developed with their own conflicting leaks.

I think 2022 is on the table for the Switch 2/pro/whatever until about this time next year.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not buying any kool aid on a 2022 model without serious reciepts at this point. And no, really, there's was deathly no chatter on any software development for a "Switch Pro" like ever. I kept saying that it was way too quiet, we should have been getting software leaks or more concrete murmurs from actual developers months ago.
Again, I ask you to point out did I said that Nintendo will release a new model in 2022. I said that a new model in 2023 is very plausible but could happen earlier. And Kopite sharing the model number and codename is quite gospel given who he is and his track record with Nvidia. If you want to be safe, not speculation but authored info, then you need to search a Switch datamining forum. But keep in mind that datamining is reduced in scope on what it can predict.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't see Nintendo releasing two brand new Switch consoles within ~12 months of one another. That would be unheard of.

Especially since this new unit is $350. 2023 continues the 2 year cycle, and by then a SoC with A78 cores and an Ampere/Lovelace GPU + DLSS on Samsung's 8nm node would be much cheaper to produce, and would allow for Nintendo to get the large margins they want while selling within the $300-$400 range.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish people would stop clinging to patterns. A sample size of 2 is laughable.

That said, I wonder why they couldn't ship this in place of the HAC-001(001) back in 2019. Perhaps it was OLED pricing?

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
If it is still revision then a 2022 release is hopefully still plausible? Especially if there's still devkits for this DLSS switch in the wild.
Hmm. Now I wonder if the Pro is coming next year when will they announce it. I'm assuming it wouldn't come until the end of the year.
Honestly, I'm not even going to speculate on that matter until I get some info clarification on the device & potential plans regarding it.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I just can't see Nintendo releasing two brand new Switch consoles within ~12 months of one another. That would be unheard of.
It really, really isn't, for Nintendo, but even if it was, we're sort of in unprecedented times right now in regards to tech production and component sourcing, so even "unheard of" behavior can't be simply ruled out.

I'm not saying I'm convinced a new Switch is a lock for 2022, but all the "no way! they just can't!" arguments against it have more holes than Swiss cheese.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah more and more it's looking clear that Bloomberg was the primary driver of confusion with the dates here. Many people were talking 2022 for the DLSS model before they seemingly conflated both devices.

I'm guessing September 2022.
Yeah, that's broadly my conclusion as well. I think March 2022 could easily happen, though.
It sounds like maybe they have people from the industry telling them about the new model with a new SoC, DLSS, OLED display, "getting their games 4K ready", and then their manufacturing sources told them about a new unit with a 720p OLED display "ramping up production" for a release later this year, and they just assumed it was the same device.

It makes me seriously wonder if Nintendo last year decided they couldn't get the Pro out this year even though the OLED panels and dock were ready to go - so they just decided to take those components and put them in the Tegra Switch and sell that as they worked out the supply line issues for the new chip.
The Switch OLED seems to have been in the works since at least early 2020, based on the evidence in firmware. Unless it was something that they decided in the very early days of the pandemic, it seems that it was most likely in the cards for a while. My guess is the point of the revision is to bring several aspects of the hardware more in line with what Switch 2 is going to look like.
There's usually a 2 year gap in between major revisions, so I don't think you're seeing another Switch model until 2023.

If a "Pro" with mega enhanced specs was coming within 12-13 months IMO this OLED model doesn't happen.

Sorry but not falling for that hype train again. Gonna need to see some real reciepts otherwise what people have been speculating about in terms of a new chip is almost certainly more likely just a Switch 2 which is probably years off.
Switch OLED is an incredibly minor revision. Even if it wasn't, though, this is a very tenuous "patterns" argument that almost definitely has several exceptions if you look hard enough.
If it is still revision then a 2022 release is hopefully still plausible? Especially if there's still devkits for this DLSS switch in the wild.
Revision vs Successor is mostly a semantic argument at this point about how you consider the specs and how you think the system will be positioned long term. It doesn't really make a difference in how soon they can launch it.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
At this point, I'm fully expecting the rumored dlss capable device to be a true successor. Having another Pro device over the OLED model seems excessive even for Nintendo. I've always been skeptical of a Switch Pro given the rumored generational leap in performance. A Switch Pro is inherently limited in its sales potential while a Switch 2 has the potential to sell north of 100 million. I doubt Nintendo will repeat the mistake of the Wii U again.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Prediction Based on the Past Year of Rumors & Reveal Today:

• They release OLED Model in Oct. 2021 at $350 (we already know this but I'm setting up the rest...)
  • They sell through & out of their supplies of OG Regular Switch at $300.
  • They announce & release Switch Pro that can do DLSS 4K in 2022 sometime at $400 and at the same time drop the OLED model down to $300 so that it can replace the OG model.

By Holiday 2022 Nintendo will have three very distinct power and price levels: Lite @ $200, OLED @ $300, and Pro @ $400.

Bonus Prediction:
  • Switch 2 or whatever Nintendo's next console is does not come out until sometime 2025.

The Lite isn't really less "powerful" than OLED, besides having a better screen and it being able to play docked.

Poll on who should create the 2nd OT thread
OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Since we're relatively close to approaching 20,000 posts, and someone else needs to create a 2nd OT thread, I've created a poll on who should create the 2nd OT thread.

So click here to vote on who should create the 2nd OT thread. The choices are "I should create the 2nd OT thread" and "Someone else should create the 2nd OT thread".

prid13

Mar 31, 2019
Well, was holding on a series X to replace my Switch with a pro… guess I'm sticking to my original model and buying a Series X

Same, except I was holding on a Series S. I'm seriously considering buying it after today's disappointment :( (although I'm intrigued by the sexy new look of the dock and the white colors).

Guess I still won't be able to finally play Astral Chain with higher FPS and better AA... Scarlet Nexus, here I come :)

prid13

Mar 31, 2019
Since we're relatively close to approaching 20,000 posts, and someone else needs to create a 2nd OT thread, I've created a poll on who should create the 2nd OT thread.

So click here to vote on who should create the 2nd OT thread. The choices are "I should create the 2nd OT thread" and "Someone else should create the 2nd OT thread".
Definitely you ;) -- if you have time, that is.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area

Maybe we should have a primary and some sort of ranked choice voting.

EDIT: I voted for you, you've done a good job.

Mar 6, 2021
Bedford, TX
Regrettably, I concur wholeheartedly. Holiday Season 2022 at the earliest. Nothing before. We may get the Zelda WiiU ports after Skyward Sword has sold sufficient copies... maybe for Xmas 2021 (if we are lucky)? I can't see any other plausible reason why Nintendo is holding off on Wind Waker and Twilight Princess other than knowing that the vast majority of us would have given Skyward Sword a HARD PASS if the other options were available.

Dec 21, 2020
I'm curious as to why it is ever so much heavier than the base model.

While there is disappointment with respect to the model, I'm curious if they updated to a new fan that helps in the cooling or what else was done internally. They did do something internally despite not changing anything to the performance of said hardware. It just is a matter of what was changed.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017

While there is disappointment with respect to the model, I'm curious if they updated to a new fan that helps in the cooling or what else was done internally. They did do something internally despite not changing anything to the performance of said hardware. It just is a matter of what was changed.

The current Switch revision (Mariko) already runs whisper quiet and very cool. The dieshrink did wonders in that regard, as well as improving battery life.

The OLED's weight increase is probably due to the kickstand flap, which is probably metal like the Surface or at the very least a thicker plastic, and maybe partly due to the OLED screen.

Dec 21, 2020
The current Switch revision (Mariko) already runs whisper quiet and very cool. The dieshrink did wonders in that regard, as well as improving battery life.

The OLED's weight increase is probably due to the kickstand flap, which is probably metal like the Surface, and possibly the OLED screen being a little thicker.
I can understand the kick stand possibility, but not the OLED one. If anything, it would be thinner than the LCD counterparts.

While docked, the switch would need to cool a bit more as to not degrade the OLED display so quickly from the heat, which is why I postulated on the possibility.

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
The OLED's weight increase is probably due to the kickstand flap, which is probably metal like the Surface or at the very least a thicker plastic, and maybe partly due to the OLED screen.
I'm guessing the kickstand is using much thicker plastic, considering that I think Nintendo would mention that the kickstand is using metal in the advertising if that's the case.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's entirely likely there never was a "Pro" model.

Nintendo is too frugal (read: cheap) to invest big money into a chip design they were only going to use for a mid-gen refresh and DLSS would require something very new.

If Nintendo was ever going to spend that kind of R&D coin it would be for a Switch 2. Which I suspect was being worked on for late 2023 (Switch 1 was always getting a *minimum* of 6 full years), but with COVID that probably has been pushed back into 2024.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
This thread is moving too fast for me to read everything. So if any of the following tweets were shared already I apologize.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fall 2022 is way too late for a Switch Pro. Don't see that happening at all.

PS4 Pro came out when the PS4 was 3 years old, not nearly 6 years old.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018

perhaps a slightly larger battery to power the larger screen in keeping with the same battery life? not sure either.

Jan 3, 2018
I think it's entirely likely there never was a "Pro" model.

Nintendo is too frugal (read: cheap) to invest big money into a chip design they were only going to use for a mid-gen refresh and DLSS would require something very new.

If Nintendo was ever going to spend that kind of R&D coin it would be for a Switch 2. Which I suspect was being worked on for late 2023 (Switch 1 was always getting a *minimum* of 6 full years), but with COVID that probably has been pushed back into 2024.

What if the "mid gen refresh" (the pro) was meant to eventually replace the original launch model, and then "Switch 2" is another upgrade meant to eventually replace the Pro?

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand the kick stand possibility, but not the OLED one. If anything, it would be thinner than the LCD counterparts.

While docked, the switch would need to cool a bit more as to not degrade the OLED display so quickly from the heat, which is why I postulated on the possibility.
Have you used a docked Mariko? It kinda just gets mildly warm.

Nov 1, 2020
Ok, nearly 20 more pages in this thread since I last logged into Era. I presume that I can figure out why; so my question is, do I want to read all of the post-announcement stuff? Or is too much of it Armoured Bear type people driving by and going 'HA HA' type drivel?

For what it's worth, I'm still 100% convinced on the existence of the new SoC thanks to kopite, so to me it's just a matter of when.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, nearly 20 more pages in this thread since I last logged into Era. I presume that I can figure out why; so my question is, do I want to read all of the post-announcement stuff? Or is too much of it Armoured Bear type people driving by and going 'HA HA' type drivel?

For what it's worth, I'm still 100% convinced on the existence of the new SoC thanks to kopite, so to me it's just a matter of when.

Since when does Kopite have inside sources at Nintendo anyway?

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Since when does Kopite have inside sources at Nintendo anyway?
kopite7kimi likely doesn't have inside sources at Nintendo. But kopite7kimi does have inside sources at Nvidia, and considering that Nvidia's likely to provide the new SoC for the new model (I'm not talking about the OLED model), there shouldn't be a surprise kopite7kimi has at least some information regarding a new model with a new SoC.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
Maybe the new speakers are really that much better. And like everyone else said, the kickstand.

Since the casing had to be redesigned for the display, speakers, and kickstand, I hope that they took the opportunity to update the wi-fi antenna component and placement.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He has sources at NVidia who is working with Nintendo.

How do we even know that chip is specific to Nintendo? Could be a lot of things. Could be like today he "got his wires crossed on some of his info". Did he/she call the Mariko chip?

I don't think many people, practically no one actually, has any actual sources within Nintendo. You only get leaks when dev kits are in developer hands by and large or through datamining the firmware.