How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if thugs really had a source, someone misled him, or was making it all up all along.

Tx1 ending production this year (or even less in January) was obviously never happening in any timeline.

Nintendo online 2 shows no signs of existing.

And all the things he said, were mostly things a lot of people were already speculating.

TR-808

Oct 30, 2017
Arizona
Last fall I was never able to reconcile news of TX1 Mariko being discontinued for a Pro roll out. Of course that discontinuaiton rumor turned out to be false or not completely correct as Nintendo is still using Mariko for OLED Switch. My basic problem was they weren't goin gto abandon a large usebase so soon. But the leaks earlier this year from bloomberg and insiders here strongly suggesting a new model did exist changed my mind and I just assumed they'd have a BC solution for OG Switch owners.

The OLED Switch being the new model, while a little disappointing for me personally, answers my main objecitons last fall/winter about market fragmention. But it also now leaves the quesiton of what happened to the rumored new model with dlss/4k support and Nate mentioning A78 ARM CPU cores, or Imran and Brainchild suggesting dev kits are out in the wild. That's what i was asking about. Trying to reconcile all that stuff with OLED Switch existing.

I think another model does exist, and it's using nvidia, I just wanted to poll what others thought of it.
Maybe Mariko is a finite resource but with tens of millions of units already stockpiled, like enough for 3-4 years. How do we know it's not already discontinued? Nintendo could be retconning the older V2 units with the OLED while simultaneously raising the price to slow consumption until the upgraded model arrives in a year or two because let's face it, due to multiple stock shortages, Nintendo now knows they must not have been charging enough for the original Switch. We'll see if V2 models become mysteriously scarce after the holiday season while still remaining officially supported. I think they're reasonably sure people will spend the extra $50 in that case.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Thugstas also claimed Bayo3 would release by November this year, BOTW 2 was a lock for FY 2021 and a Zelda collection was happening for the Anniversary

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
If the non-OLED Switch is discontinued but the Lite is not, I'm curious if it would get more popular. 100 dollars is one thing, but 150 dollars cheaper definitely stands out.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe Mariko is a finite resource but with tens of millions of units already stockpiled, like enough for 3-4 years. How do we know it's not already discontinued?

That...doesn't make a lot of business sense, for like a zillion different reasons.

First of all, storing tens of millions of units of a chip is expensive. Second, they're not going to get themselves into a position where there could be a theft or fire or earthquake at their Mariko storage facilities and then be like "oops, I guess we just can't sell our enormously popular console any more."

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Given how Dane Switch / Switch Dane has come up in this thread, how would you like a Pro/2 OT subtitle:

Tape me out like one of your danish girls

:D

Dec 23, 2017
I do wonder if thugs really had a source, someone misled him, or was making it all up all along.

Tx1 ending production this year (or even less in January) was obviously never happening in any timeline.

And all the things he said, were mostly things a lot of people were already speculating.
One of the hard things about trying to be an "insider" especially with Nintendo information. Nothing is ever set in stone with them. They could get 100% legit info then Nintendo changes things and they look silly. Is he banned?

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Speaking about tape out, considering that Hopper is rumoured to tape out soon, I wonder if or when kopite7kimi will mention when T239 (Dane) will be taped out. (It definitely sounds like Nvidia's repeating the separation of datacentre and gaming GPU architectures with Hopper and Lovelace, like with Volta and Turing, if the rumours are true.)

Yes, he's permabanned.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
One of the hard things about trying to be an "insider" especially with Nintendo information. Nothing is ever set in stone with them. They could get 100% legit info then Nintendo changes things and they look silly. Is he banned?
Alternately one of the hard things about making shit up. Yea he is banned.

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
They are not related in any way. One is a huge HPC/AI next gen MCM architecture made at TSMC's N5. The other is an Ampere (GA100 possibly) based mobile class Arm SoC made on 8N.
I'm not saying Hopper and T239 (Dane) are related. I was wondering when kopite7kimi's going to talk about T239 (Dane) being taped out, considering the rumour that T239 (Dane) hasn't been taped out yet. Or if kopite7kimi's going to talk about T239 (Dane) being taped out at all.

Considering that kopite7kimi has mentioned gaming Ampere GPUs being taped out (i.e. GA102, GA104, etc.), there's a chance kopite7kimi is going to talk T239 (Dane) being taped out.

And on an unrelated note, I wonder if it's greymon55 or kopite7kimi who's going to talk about Hopper being taped out.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

To be completely fair TX1 was indeed discontinued in January of this year. That has been known publicly for a while though.

TX1+ of course has not. No idea if he or his source just confused the two or if it was just bullshit.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Leaked picture of the new Switch:

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJpbWFnZXMuY2tiay5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJpbWFnZXMvYnJlYTAzMjY5YzAzczAwMXIwMDdnMDEuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7IndpdGhvdXRFbmxhcmdlbWVudCI6dHJ1ZSwid2lkdGgiOjEwMjQsImhlaWdodCI6MTAyNCwiZml0IjoiY292ZXIiLCJwb3NpdGlvbiI6ImVudHJvcHkifSwianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo5MCwicHJvZ3Jlc3NpdmUiOnRydWV9fX0=

Dec 21, 2020
Is that ray traced lighting?
You love to see it!

Speaking of HDR, this is an odd idea, but I'm curious to know if it is possible to use Tensor Cores for HDR is possible as a system-wide feature for games that didn't have HDR on them and not need developer input per se for those games, or at least until they decide to do an input. An AI trained algorithm that is accelerated by the Tensor Cores to apply it for the games.

And even then, I'm curious if such a thing would perform well and accurate. This new model should be able to bring some games to "4k" without DLSS, and I include anything above 1440p as "4k" since you need above a 1080p display to actually show it.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
You love to see it!

Speaking of HDR, this is an odd idea, but I'm curious to know if it is possible to use Tensor Cores for HDR is possible as a system-wide feature for games that didn't have HDR on them and not need developer input per se for those games, or at least until they decide to do an input. An AI trained algorithm that is accelerated by the Tensor Cores to apply it for the games.

And even then, I'm curious if such a thing would perform well and accurate. This new model should be able to bring some games to "4k" without DLSS, and I include anything above 1440p as "4k" since you need above a 1080p display to actually show it.
Xbox auto hdr is using ML, so I see no reason tensor cores can't do the same in theory.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Auto-HDR was trained using NN, not that its using ML acceleration of Xbox Series. IIRC they "forked" Auto-HDR from Coalition Gears 5 HDR solution(Which was ML based) and trained it as a general system-level solution. I don't think it's actively calculating the HDR values when running games. Could be wrong though. If someone has more knowledge on this matter, feel free to correct me.

Dec 21, 2020
I think Auto-HDR was trained using NN, not that its using ML acceleration of Xbox Series. IIRC they "forked" Auto-HDR from Coalition Gears 5 HDR solution(Which was ML based) and trained it as a general system-level solution. I don't think it's actively calculating the HDR values when running games. Could be wrong though. If someone has more knowledge on this matter, feel free to correct me.
I'm curious if nVidia will develop something for HDR, or Nintendo on a slight chance. Would be nice to have for some titles.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I tried, but I didn't find any in depth source on how it works, other than it uses an ml algorithm.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious if the OLED screen supports HDR. I know its not currently support in the Switch OS, but I'm curious all the same.

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
I'm curious if the OLED screen supports HDR. I know its not currently support in the Switch OS, but I'm curious all the same.
I think the OLED display probably does theoretically support HDR, but I also think Nintendo has the ultimate say whether or not the OLED display has HDR support or not.

Where did that Dane codename come from that suddenly everyone keeps referring to?
Here and here.

Final poll results
OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
whooh boy what did he say this time.
One thing Nate said is that he thinks that Nintendo's calling the reports of the OLED model's profit margin being higher than the Nintendo Switch's profit margin false is Nintendo's attempt to discredit Bloomberg and Takashi Mochizuki since Nintendo believes Bloomberg and Takashi Mochizuki are a huge threat due to Bloomberg's wider reach in the West and Takashi Mochizuki being correct on Nintendo releasing a new Nintendo Switch model with a 7 inch 720p OLED display at a MSRP over $299.99 on October 2021. And Nate also says that he thinks that Nintendo has a personal vendetta against Bloomberg and Takashi Mochizuki.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing Nate said is that he thinks that Nintendo's calling the reports of the OLED model's profit margin being higher than the Nintendo Switch's profit margin false is Nintendo's attempt to discredit Bloomberg and Takashi Mochizuki since Nintendo believes Bloomberg and Takashi Mochizuki are a huge threat due to Bloomberg's wider reach in the West and Takashi Mochizuki being correct on Nintendo releasing a new Nintendo Switch model with a 7 inch 720p OLED display at a price over $299.99 on October 2021.
Really? Wasn't an investor meeting/directed at investors though? Wouldn't they be in trouble if they're lying? Why would they do that now though, when Nintendo is suffering from these "leaks" ever since Iwata IIRC.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
One thing Nate said is that he thinks that Nintendo's calling the reports of the OLED model's profit margin being higher than the Nintendo Switch's profit margin false is Nintendo's attempt to discredit Bloomberg and Takashi Mochizuki since Nintendo believes Bloomberg and Takashi Mochizuki are a huge threat due to Bloomberg's wider reach in the West and Takashi Mochizuki being correct on Nintendo releasing a new Nintendo Switch model with a 7 inch 720p OLED display at a price over $299.99 on October 2021.
Hmm, I don't really see that as controversial, but I think that is more of a secondary bonus on dealing with misinformation on their profit margins.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Nate is overthinking.

The framing of Mochi's piece about the pricing was that Nintendo was not only going to draw more profit from the OLED model but that it was going to be supernormal profit.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Nintendo doesn't comment on rumor or speculation

except when it comes to leading the shareholders

which is all I really think that was.... getting ahead of that issue

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Why would they do that now though, when Nintendo is suffering from these "leaks" ever since Iwata IIRC.
Nate mentioned in the video that Nintendo's stocks dropped when Nintendo announced the OLED model, because to investors, the OLED model wasn't the model with a SoC that has the hardware capable of DLSS and is capable of up to 4K, which Bloomberg reported on.

KlaxOnKlaxOff

Mar 3, 2021
I know that companies use PR speak and are deliberately vague. But why does everyone doubt that Nintendo isn't making higher margin on the OLED model? Maybe component costs or economies of scale haven't decreased enough to offset higher BoM? Maybe they're just telling the truth? We are in unprecedented times, after all.