DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Looks about as big a departure from the Ghostbusters tone as the 2016 film, just in the other way.

But this actually looks like it will be a competent film unlike that abomination.

Oct 28, 2017
That trailer would have been awesome for a movie not called Ghostbusters.

As it stands, I don't know what to think about it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
This is what the 2016 movie should've been in the first place. Looks fun and full of nostalgia.

Though I am getting a little tired of the "weird kid gets picked on because they're weird" trope.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing more nostalgic than a Sony Pictures Entertainment, Inc. trailer for GHOSTBUSTERS, a trademark of Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc., being brought to us thanks to Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. very own PlayStationĀ® DualSenseā„¢ Wireless Controller for PlayStationĀ® 5ā„¢

#HighlightyourSenses #StayPuft #5theGamers

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's okay to dislike a film. It's not okay to go full incel over a film.

I can't imagine you will find anyone here who will disagree with you, at least openly.

If fucking sucks that 2016 went down the way it did. And it's really fucking sucks that this feels like a win for the incel crowd. But, this movie doesn't exist because of them. This movie exists because nobody showed up for 2016. Movies like Captain Marvel and the Star Wars Sequels show those incels don't have any fucking effect on the box office (especially when they actually go see them in theaters despite crying about them on the internet). 2016 was just not a movie people wanted. We'll see if this one actually is, or if another Ghostbusters movie is just not something people care about any more in general.

There are a lot of people who legit wanted a GB3, including some involved in the production clearly, as Dan Aykroyd has been trying to make one since the day production wrapped on GB2. Personally, I don't like even talking negatively about 2016. Despite not liking it, I don't want to feed the vitriol around it. All we can do is push back on those pieces of shit, and hope for a good movie.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Looks about as big a departure from the Ghostbusters tone as the 2016 film, just in the other way.

But this actually looks like it will be a competent film unlike that abomination.

Yeah, I think the 2016 movie is supremely dated in terms of comedic tone/flatlining. It's just a poor film, all the online fuss aside.

I'm looking forward to the mundane versus extreme juxtaposition in this movie (akin to the original two movies).

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they will acknowledge the events from the 2016 movie at all in this.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
The CGI looks a little rough in places, and I wasn't feeling the earlier Paul Rudd in the grocery store trailer.

But damn if Ray and Janine didn't make my heart happy. I'm sold.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's sorta weird to have all these "Remember this, isn't it iconic?" sort of shorts when a lot of the tools the old ghostbusters used were noted for being barely working essentially duck taped together piles of junk.

I've been bitten too many times on films doing nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia, probably pass on this one.

May 14, 2021
They're just selling nostalgiaā€¦says a bunch of people on a gaming forum that is constantly begging for remakes and remasters of old games.

After 2016, I welcome whatever the heck this is trying to be.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This ticked all the right boxes for me. I was 8 when Ghostbusters came out and hearing the ECTO-1 siren and the vintage equipment brought it all back.

And we get Paul Rudd. I'm in

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Jason's Reitman's memo for this movie :

Serious = Egon's Family.
Anything comedy = Paul Rudd.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really hold much nostalgia for the first two movies so this just doesn't do it for me since it seems be almost entirely some kind of nostalgia trip.
This for me, plus the very self-serious tone just reminds me how bent out of shape everyone was about 2016. "Don't worry everyone, this time we will give ghostbusters the reverence it deserves."

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
"Nostalgia? Yawn."

I mean, it's a sequel to a movie from 1989... of course there's going to be nostalgia tugs? The characters, events, equipment, etc, are, y'know, going to play a major role in the movie... otherwise it wouldn't be a sequel.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Ghostbusters minus Ghostbusters

Look I'm the biggest 2016 fan so take what I say next with that in mind

But to me it's almost more insulting to do a movie that clearly isn't going to be about the Ghostbusters than it is to do a reboot with completely different Ghostbusters but you know actually Ghostbusters.

Like I'm sorry the fact that they aren't all over either trailers tells me they're uber supporting roles

Like the one of the loudest complaints about 2016 was the cast made the original movie not the concept

And now we have them sidelined in the original timeline for children

Also lol at the world forgot about ghosts... again ha

I'll still see it but this is the least Ghostbusters looking thing yet

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Ghostbusters minus Ghostbusters

Look I'm the biggest 2016 fan so take what I say next with that in mind

But to me it's almost more insulting to do a movie that clearly isn't going to be about the Ghostbusters than it is to do a reboot with completely different Ghostbusters but you know actually Ghostbusters.

Like the one of the loudest complaints about 2016 was the cast made the original movie not the concept

And now we have them sidelined for children

My loudest complaint about 2016 was that they threw away the original cast and story for a reboot. Afterlife is far more in line with what I wanted.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
My loudest complaint about 2016 was that they threw away the original cast and story for a reboot. Afterlife is far more in line with what I wanted.

Right; it's evident the original Ghostbusters are going to be in this movie, which is great, but the idea of finding a new place to take the story is what makes it worth executing beyond bringing fans to the table.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows if the actual movie will be good but that's one hell of a trailer. Pitch perfect editing.

samwyse

Oct 28, 2017
going full on "remember this" nostalgia is weird in the modern era
yes we remember it, we can play the original on massive screens in HD when ever we want
it's not a forgotten piece of history

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

This also is doing a lot of that

Everyone forgot about ghosts again

The original team is forgotten

And like to me best case scenario they do some 3rd act stuff at best

How is completely sidelining them in a movie with basically no Ghostbusters team that better than leaving them to their glory and trying a movie with a new team in a different universe

Each to their own, but this is even less Ghostbusters to me

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
It's sorta weird to have all these "Remember this, isn't it iconic?" sort of shorts when a lot of the tools the old ghostbusters used were noted for being barely working essentially duck taped together piles of junk.

I've been bitten too many times on films doing nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia, probably pass on this one.
This is exactly my concern. Ghostbusters were basically ghost plumbers. Would you give a shit about your grandad's old plunger?

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I'm not quite sold yet. These trailers have been too sappy and self-serious, like they're being apologetic for the 2016 reboot and treating the IP with a overabundance of reverence now. I'm hoping the actual tone is more in line with the original movie.

"Hey kids, did your Grandpa Egon ever tell you about the time he maybe fucked some ghost-slime? Or when your Uncle Ray dreamed about a sexy ghost sucking him off? You guys are gonna love being Ghostbusters."

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
This also is doing a lot of that

Everyone forgot about ghosts again

The original team is forgotten

And like to me best case scenario they do some 3rd act stuff at best

How is completely sidelining them in a movie with basically no Ghostbusters team that better than leaving them to their glory and trying a movie with a new team in a different universe

Each to their own, but this is even less Ghostbusters to me

It's a hallmark of the franchise. Nobody gives a shit about them. Nobody remembers them. When the shit hits the fan the world needs the Ghostbusters but afterwards? They can fuck off.

Of course no one remembers them 30 years later. That's the way it should be.

They could have done 2016 this way. Kristen Wiig could have been related to Ray. It could have been a true sequel with that same cast and been better received. Paul Feig said he couldn't figure out how to make it work as a sequel, which is insane.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
So, like, I'm pretty excited for this movie becase I think the trailer made it look good but two complaints

1) Mini Stay Pufts are kind of stupid and miss the point of the original monster I think

2) Are they really pulling the "everyone forgot it happened" thing again after Ghostbuters 1 and 2?