• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
In brazil an ex big brother contestant challenged a brazilian boxing champion

he lasted 36 seconds

67B9sa3.gif

I expect something similar here

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They almost certainly agreed to make it a glorified sparring match much like the Tyson/Holyfield match from a few years back. Jake Paul's "boxing career" is floundering and this is just another desperate attempt at attention (and a way to desperately avoid fighting an actual, real, credible boxer)

Yeah, a deal won't allow either to punch their lights out. Tyson is old and shuffles around when I saw him in a documentary but he could still throw a fast hard punch.

TheBigJuice

Banned
Jun 29, 2023
Lmao its a work brother.

Pretty sure Foreman and Hopkins were pushing their mid to late 40s when they won their last titles, if Tyson was near that age I'd get it but man is pushing 60. They're really out here trying to get as much cheap heat as they can on Paul, he's never going to be a star. People will only ever care for the carny shit with him.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Paul is also quite a bit bigger (which is part of his schtick) than Tyson. This is the Jake Paul MO, get a guy whose name looks good on a resume but when you dig down you realize he's going to be fighting a 60 year old 5'9 guy whose athleticism is shot and who probably will be gassed after 2 rounds of action. But hey he'll be able to say "I beat Mike Tyson!"
Yep, and the build up is gonna be a total circus.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Mike would still feed Jake his own ass at 60 years old. As much as I'd love to see that, it's clear this is just to feed Jake's ego.
Paul is also quite a bit bigger (which is part of his schtick) than Tyson. This is the Jake Paul MO, get a guy whose name looks good on a resume but when you dig down you realize he's going to be fighting a 60 year old 5'9 guy whose athleticism is shot and who probably will be gassed after 2 rounds of action. But hey he'll be able to say "I beat Mike Tyson!"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6i9tkWOXhs
No, this isn't indicative of Mike's actual in-ring performance, but let's not pretend like he's some wrinkly old bum.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Mike would still feed Jake his own ass at 60 years old. As much as I'd love to see that, it's clear this is just to feed Jake's ego.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6i9tkWOXhs
No, this isn't indicative of Mike's actual in-ring performance, but let's not pretend like he's some wrinkly old bum.

its not where it was in his prime, which is what allowed him to make up for size disparities every time he fought larger heavyweights. Yes for a 60 year old he is in great shape. As a 60 year old who is going to actually compete in a boxing exhibition against someone half his age, im not so sure.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I hate this, rationally I know Tyson's certified in boxing history so the outcome won't matter...but the discourse that will come from anything other than beating Paul will cause me so much psychic damage.

Like...ultimate level toxic Internet chatter.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Tyson is like 35 years past his prime, and 20 years past when he should be fighting. What an absolute joke

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Mike getting a payday to fall, no other explanation for this

Jake Paul would literally be murdered in the ring with Tyson, regardless of age

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Fixed fight and fuck both Paul brothers and anyone saying anything positive about them (and Logan Paul is a meh wrestler).

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Anything to keep from fighting real opponents huh? Wish tyson was a bit younger, he would probably hit this dude so hard his fucking neck would snap. Then again if that were the case logan sure as fuck wouldn't fight him.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
🥱 That Nate Diaz fight was laughable enough, and I already forgot the name of the guy he fought a few days ago. Thankfully, this is shaping up to be another great year of legit boxing, so this will be easy to ignore.

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kind of interested to see how this plays out. No doubt Tyson will forever be the better boxer, but can he still put on a good show?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of interested to see how this plays out. No doubt Tyson will forever be the better boxer, but can he still put on a good show?

I imagine it will look a lot like the Tyson/Roy Jones exhibition match from a few years ago. Tyson mostly gassed by round 3. The occasional explosive burst like once or twice around but probably not enough to put his full power behind it. A whole lot of clinching and they coast to a decision finish.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, we need to bring the geezer teaser to other sports.

Get Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa back out there with some oxygen tanks, for an all star game rematch.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I don't see how Jake wins in any scenario, both literally and figuratively.

Having to resort to beating up an old man makes you look pathetic.

Potentially LOSING to that old man looks even more pathetic.

Like there's no path to victory here aside from reinforcing the notion that you're an embarrassment to society.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
60 or not, I think Tyson could mess him up. Dude is in excellent shape and moves pretty fast still all things considered. You all should see some of his recent training bouts. No way I'd underestimate him.

Except neither of them are going to try and do anything but put on a show. I'm sure the rules and how they are selling it are established before the contract is finalized.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't think Paul takes the fight if he's losing. He already did that once. For Tyson, there's no real downside to losing, there's a 30 year age difference and nothing it's not like people are gonna think differently of Tyson if he loses since he's not an active competitor.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
This is gonna be one of those things where everyone shits on it between now and this fight's fight week, rightfully so it's a stupid ass fight, but given that almost everyone in the world at this point has Netflix, everybody will be watching this. This will be the most talked about thing as we get closer and closer to its date unless the fight gets called off last minute due to an injury in the middle of their fight camps. Guaranteed. That's the whole reason this is even happening. The only way this Live Global Sports Event could've been more interesting is if it was the seemingly long gone Jake Paul VS KSI fight that people really wanted for awhile as no one is really invested in a Jake Paul-Tommy Fury 2 fight. Besides that, it's a lose-lose situation for everyone involved but Jake Paul, Mike Tyson and Netflix as they'll all get paid ridiculous amounts of money for this if the fight does come into fruition.

Funkelpop

Banned
Sep 2, 2022

To be honest Tyson was known for knocking out dudes way bigger than Paul.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
For once, I'd like to see this dickhole fight someone who's not retired and doesn't give a shit about giving the audience their "money's worth" or whatever. I'd pay to see that, not this "younger guy fights an aging retiree" shit.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
For once, I'd like to see this dickhole fight someone who's not retired and doesn't give a shit about giving the audience their "money's worth" or whatever. I'd pay to see that, not this "younger guy fights an aging retiree" shit.
He did. He fought Tommy Fury. He lost. After losing once, he's probably never going to fight a real boxer again until he fights like 5-10 more terrible old retired dudes for "ring experience".

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
Remember Tyson is a rapist and Paul is a terrible person. Why the hell ERA???

Star boxer Mike Tyson convicted of rape | February 10, 1992 | HISTORY

Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson, accused of raping 18-year-old beauty-pageant contestant Desiree Washington, is found guilty by an Indiana jury. The following month, Tyson was given a 10-year prison sentence, with four years suspended. Mike Tyson rose to fame in 1986 when he beat...

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd rather get shot than get in the ring with Mike Tyson, so good luck Jake. Try not to get killed.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I mellowed a bit on Jake Paul, Jutta Leerdam seems to ground him pretty well and he almost appears likable, unlike his brother. Still not going to watch.