May 31, 2022
It's been reported that Blizzard has announced a seasonal battle pass system for Diablo 4 and that they are requiring Diablo 4 players to create new seasonal characters in order to have access to the Diablo 4 battle pass:

metro.co.uk

Diablo 4 players angry at being forced to create new character for battle pass

Diablo 4 players are furious at Blizzard for forcing them to create new characters each season in order to have access to the battle pass.

image.png

Diablo 4 players are furious at Blizzard for forcing them to create new characters each season in order to have access to the battle pass.

While an exact start date for Diablo 4 season 1 is yet to be announced, Blizzard has confirmed its anticipated arrival in late July, alongside the game's first battle pass.

During a recent developer update livestream, more details were unveiled about what season 1 will offer, though one thing stood out – seasons in Diablo 4 will follow the pattern set by its predecessor.

This means that players will need to create new characters at the beginning of each season to make progress in the battle pass, with the news angering Diablo 4 veterans and newcomers alike.

Following the livestream, Diablo boss Rod Fergusson took to Twitter to further elaborate on how seasonal updates will function in Diablo 4.

He confirmed that players would have to start fresh with a new seasonal character to access the battle pass, seasonal questlines, and other mechanics.

The replies to Fergusson's tweet make it abundantly clear that many Diablo players are far from pleased with this information.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
That's how ARPGs have been operating for years. I fail to see the issue.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this was honestly bound to happen. I feel like the amount of people who probably participated in D3 seasons was low. The hardcore fans probably won't bat an eye at this but I don't think this will go over well with the general populous.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't played D4 so maybe dumb question but is there something about the game that makes it less 'season friendly' than D3?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's pretty typical, but the grind to max level looks far worse than it was in D3. So that will need to be adjusted.

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022
I'm not terribly surprised people are upset, Diablo 4 is definitely courting a new audience and if you're not accustomed to this fairly common mechanic, it's pretty easy to understand why being forced to abandon a character you've become attached to in order to enjoy new content is a very strange ask.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
The issue is just that Diablo 4 attracted a large mainstream audience that probably isn't used to how ARPGs handle seasonal content. The amount of people that participated in past entries' seasons is probably relatively low in comparison

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of the idea myself. But I guess there's not going to be enough new content each season for them to just allow characters to be imported from season to season. I guess the hardcore Diablo players like this way of doing things?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played D4 so maybe dumb question but is there something about the game that makes it less 'season friendly' than D3?
I know some people don't like that they reset all the world reputation thingy that's just a massive grind, but besides that nothing is immediately jumping out that D3 didn't do.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like it's a little different when you introduce a paid season pass. There's an expectation that you can use those to get additions to your character, but I'm not sure what battle pass items are like with Diablo

Marven

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Illinois
I feel like it's just a timing thing. If the first season started 3+ months after launch, folks wouldn't be so upset. By the fact that as of right now most haven't finished the campaign yet, per that infographic, and we're less than a month from season 1, I can understand people not wanting to have to start over again so soon. Hell knowing they're going to have 12+ pages of fixes before the season is making my consider just stop leveling at 70 until they fix things.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand the confusion. Like folks are saying, this game probably attracted a lot of folks that are just not familiar with the concept because they haven't played other games in the genre or past titles.

I was initially pretty excited about the idea of starting a new character with the new season, but now I'm realizing how little time I actually have to play this game and how long it's taking me to just get through the campaign with my first character, and I'm honestly wishing I could just play the season pass content with my main. Live and learn!

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not terribly surprised people are upset, Diablo 4 is definitely courting a new audience and if you're not accustomed to this fairly common mechanic, it's pretty easy to understand why being forced to abandon a character you've become attached to in order to enjoy new content is a very strange ask.

This is me. I played Diablo 3 when it came out, and again on consoles, but never touched the seasonal stuff. This seems weird as shit to me. But, I'm just gonna finish the game and walk away as a result, just like I did with Part Three.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I remember in D3 you could level so fast each season. A few hours to max level I think.

Is D4 the same?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is news to me, that sucks. Gues I need to find all those Lilith statues for the stats boost

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'll say the same thing I said in the OT. This has been known for months. The devs talked about it before the game ever came out. If you are buying the fourth game in a franchise or entering a genre you are unfamiliar with it's on you do do the bare minimum research to see how they work as a consumer.

The entire point of the game requiring you to make a new character is to encourage the players to try new classes and new builds. New ways of approaching the game. Because each season will have new legendaries and unique items to raise or lower certain builds or classes. All of it centered around whatever the seasonal events is. That way it's fresh everytime. A new experience everytime.

Starting over is the whole point.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just not gonna play season content. 🤷‍♂️ No fuss from me. I'll pop back in when they add a new class with the expansions.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Diablo IV must have really brought in a bunch of new players.

But yeah, I get why there would be confusion. But that's how ARPGs go

AlexTrevelyan

Oct 27, 2017
Did they tell the people buying the higher cost editions that come with a battle pass that they wouldn't be able to engage with the content they bought without making a seasonal character? I didn't buy the more expensive edition, but I'd be pissed if I did. I don't remember reading anything about that specifically.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Locking battle pass progression behind a seasonal character sucks. Obviously the game wants to encourage players to make new characters but restricting progress for something you pay for is weird, especially when there'll be people who just want to mill about on their regular character.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It also takes a really long time to get going like I've played maybe 10-15 hours and still don't have a mount
You get the mount by following the main campaign. It's meant to take a bit because they don't want you just blowing through the world that early on.

But once you get the mount you get it on all future characters. So that's nice.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say the same thing I said in the OT. This has been known for months. The devs talked about it before the game ever came out. If you are buying the fourth game in a franchise or entering a genre you are unfamiliar with it's on you do do the bare minimum research to see how they work as a consumer.

The entire point of the game requiring you to make a new character is to encourage the players to try new classes and new builds. New ways of approaching the game. Because each season will have new legendaries and unique items to raise or lower certain builds or classes. All of it centered around whatever the seasonal events is. That way it's fresh everytime. A new experience everytime.

Starting over is the whole point.
You can have all of that separate from the BP though, just like it was in d2 and d3.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Wow, this sounds lame as fuck. I had no idea this was common or "expected," but it feels out of touch to court modern day battle pass audiences when the method of accessing the stuff itself is so limiting compared to other games that use this business model. Like, literally pay money to play the game in a way that's completely opposite from how I would want to engage with it? Hard pass.

Comparatively, SF6's current fighter pass, while pretty lame, is progressed by doing literally anything in the game, even training mode, combo trials, and local vs matches.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They should have told people that in beginning. Most other games DLC just slots in, no one likes feeling like their time is wasted and not valued

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If they let you take your eternal character into seasons you'd be bored and quit within a day. So they'd just be complaining about that instead.

I also don't think this'll be an issue at all for people complaining right now after a couple of days in season 1 with a new character. They just need to see it and play it.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I remember in D3 you could level so fast each season. A few hours to max level I think.

Is D4 the same?

Yeah with correct gems in your shared stash you could get to max level in D3 in mere hours with very little effort. It was insane.

Diablo 4 is nothing like that, hell I doubt you could get to level 50 in D4 within a couple hours unless people know some trick I don't.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
They should have told people that in beginning. Most other games DLC just slots in, no one likes feeling like their time is wasted and not valued

While being upfront would have generally gone a long way with new players, they most likely didn't even consider the need to do so since it's worked like this for a decade.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
Did they tell the people buying the higher cost editions that come with a battle pass that they wouldn't be able to engage with the content they bought without making a seasonal character? I didn't buy the more expensive edition, but I'd be pissed if I did. I don't remember reading anything about that specifically.
Yeah this is kind of me, though I knew what I was getting into. Just thought I'd more easily be able to breeze thru the campaign and then would want to start a new character by the time season 1 came out, but in reality I'm not even close.

Regretting buying the more expensive version for sure, but we'll see. I guess I just could treat it as paying for early access :p

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
This is always a terrible argument, for literally anything. Tradition for tradition's sake is never a good defence.

I'm a fan of starting new characters for new seasons in Diablo. I'm looking forward to it in D4. But D4 is very much an MMO, will be attracting a lot of MMO players, and especially with character creation now it's not strange to imagine people getting attached to the idea of a main they'd like to progress through paid seasons with.

I can't imagine Blizz will struggle to think of a way to provide progression through a season pass with either new or existing characters, depending on player preference, and I think that would be a fantastic evolution for the genre as a whole.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I had no idea about this and I followed a fair amount of D4 coverage.

EDIT:
I played D3 but dipped shortly after completing the campaign twice.

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022
If they let you take your eternal character into seasons you'd be bored and quit within a day. So they'd just be complaining about that instead.

Yeah it should be noted that seasons are structured like this for a reason.

I think a thing that might help is the option to essentially "recreate" your character, have them restart at level 1 for the new season but keep all the same customization options + transmog so it doesn't feel like you're just abandoning them. Obviously you can do that easily on your own, but it's one of those things that helps take down the mental roadblock.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean alot of new players playing Diablo for the first time. Probably alot of players growing up with destiny also. So isn't that shocking people are surprised

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA

I mean they did. Also, Diablo 3 and Path of Exile (the gold standards of ARPG's) both have seasons that operate exactly like Diablo 4's.

The only new addition will be the Battle Pass only working inside the season. Otherwise both of those games handle it the same way.

This is like complaining that a MMORPG makes you replace all your gear with a new expansion. It's kind of the point.