danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
I'm so excited for this. I grew up on these games and I've replayed the trilogy on basically every platform. I really hope this is a significant remaster/remake, because they could really use them (and based on the pieces of information from both Kotaku and Gematsu, it sounds like that's what this is). Per the Gematsu article, the presence of content changes makes me hopeful they'll also re-license the songs they've removed from the ports over the years.

I really hope these do well so we can eventually get remasters of Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories down the line, too. The best versions of those are the PS2 ports and even those are rough to play.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Switch is the only way I'd play them as the small screen should help disguise the... oldness.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Will happily buy the Trilogy for the 5th time (PS2, OG Xbox, Android, PS4). Vice City at night is going to look great in 4K/HDR.

Don't stiff me on that 120fps option for the XB1 version running on Series X, Rockstar!

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Would believe this more if they said switch exclusive. Can't see them launching this and GTA5 part 3 this holiday.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Rumor: Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, and San Andreas remakes in development for consoles, PC, and mobile

Rockstar Games is developing remakes of Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PC, Sta…

Gematsu corroborates, also reports that there will be changes in content:
Gematsu saying this is real makes me more likely to believe it since I've never seen them post anything they weren't sure was accurate.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Zelnick said that they won't do simple remasters

www.gamespot.com

Take-Two Boss On Remasters: "We Don't Just Port Titles Over"

Strauss Zelnick believes there is reason why remasters from his company may perform better than the competition.
Hmm, and this was recent too. I'm expecting something on the level of what Bioware did with Mass Effect 1 this year, maybe a bit more since these games are a gen older.

More substantial than your typical uprezzed, fps boosted port, but not enough to be considered a full-blown remake

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
People surprised that GTA games are coming to a Nintendo console did not play Chinatown Wars and that makes me sad.

In any event, I do have some nostalgia for these old janky sandboxes so I might pick it up on Switch if it goes on a sale for a decent price at some point down the road.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Hmm.. Some of my best gaming memories are from GTA 3 and Vice City. But they will launch with music missing, and the gameplay was pretty clunky back then.

parasite2

Oct 22, 2020
GTA on Switch ?????!!!!!

a5c8715ba2b66c5f03d6f0b5ee562208.jpg

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Will wait and see how the music licencing issue plays out.

Vice City was all about the tunes.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Just because it's on Unreal doesn't mean it's a remake, it's probably going to use most of the same assets as the original games.
Tbf I think you posted this before Gematsu article was up but just in case you haven't seen it yet, they describe it as: "The remakes are reportedly being developed in Unreal Engine using a mix of "new and old graphics," with one source stating that the visuals reminded them of a heavily-modded version of a classic Grand Theft Auto title. The user interface will also be updated, but retain the same classic style." So it seems kind of close to a remake for the most part especially if its getting ported to an entirely new engine.

YSL

Sep 11, 2020
Bought the existing trilogy on ps4/PS5 and man it's rough.... Hope these are done well I personally want GTA 4 + Episodes from liberty city updated

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well this makes me so happy. Some of my favorite gaming memories are with Vice City in my dorm room and people being gathered around the TV just hollering and laughing our ass off. Can't wait to play a modernized version.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
They will remove RC helicopter mission from Vice City and RC plane mission from San Andreas aren't they? Kids these days would never stick to those games to finish those missions XD

That and managing the weight of SA will most likely get changed. I'm not to trusting of this thing with them removing the community mods. I'm betting on a majority of the things they add are what the mods were doing and they are just repackaging it. Although I hope to be wrong and they do do a full combat and control revamp, but doubtful.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Ehhh if it's only graphical upgrade and it plays exactly like the PS2 counterpart maybe I'll skip it. I don't remember liking the control lol.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought it was crazy that the PS2 GTA games weren't on Switch, they will sell ridiculously well.

Would love to see Bully and maybe even GTA IV as well.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they go far with the visual and gameplay overhaul, make it look and play like a modern game. The digital-only release is worrying, these are some beloved games and the GTA audience is bigger than ever so there's no doubt they'd check out these remasters especially if they were too young to play them back when they came out.

The Red Dead Redemption port is a long time coming especially since it never came out on PC, the only modern way to play that game was on Xbox.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
At the same time as GTAV remake.
And ported to UNREAL engine? doesn't make sense.
Wouldn't they basically have to rewrite everything ? 3 huge games ? at the same time ?
Doubt.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I played all 3 games on PC earlier this year. I had to spend several hours modding them to get them to run just right, and even then they were still jank AF, but I still had a great time playing them. I'm really looking forward to these remasters. Especially GTAIII as that was my favorite of the 3 games, even though it lacked the refinement of its successors.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
PC version for me since that's probably the only way we'll get the original soundtracks in the game through mods.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Rockstar didn't even release any new games this gen and they're still going to win the holiday season lmao.

Switch ports I imagine will sell very well.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
At the same time as GTAV remake.
And ported to UNREAL engine? doesn't make sense.
Wouldn't they basically have to rewrite everything ? 3 huge games ? at the same time ?
Doubt.
Not necessarily. They would make an automated system to move everything to Unreal and then test, fill in the gaps. Of course it's not that simple but it's not like they'd have to rebuild the games from scratch.

Then the "remaster" parts are probably a lot easier in Unreal. Don't have to add support for all the systems, all the inputs, new methods of lighting, etc… to an old engine.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what improved graphics mod this anonymous person is talking about? Checked out couple of them on Youtube and they look really good, like on GTA4's level.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I'd maybe check these out. I never got around to actually completing these games back when they originally came out.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
They can't decide on wheter to use ''remaster'' or ''remake'' and kept changing throughout the article. We need better definitions of what is what ASAP.
So glad it's coming to the Switch, playing San Andreas on the pooper is gonna be a blast.