• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather they modernized the gameplay and left the graphics as is since I think the games look perfectly fine, they just kinda play like shit, but I'm definitely curious about these. Would love to be able to relive the GTA SA days in particular.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
No that's not true. An engine change is not that uncommon for remasters, to make things easier.

Eh, no. Even if they used an older version of Unreal for the original games, it would still be a massive effort (the same reason why Bioware didn't upgrade ME:LE to Unreal 4). As far as I know, Rockstar used Renderware for the older games on PS2, which is a vastly different compared to Unreal. So yeah, if this story is true, they are remaking the games. Doesn't mean that they aren't able to import assets into Unreal or things like that, they're probably not starting from scratch.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to shake the dust off of those old memories, but it would be interesting to see how substantial the effort is.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Hard to believe since iirc Nintendo doesn't even allow M rated games on their platforms

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've played the ever-loving fuck out of all 3 of these games - be a hard sell for me. I've 100% San Andreas, twice, so they'd have to seriously update and upgrade these games for me to be excited. Bluepoint-like remakes - I'm interested. Rockstar remasters - hmmm.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I know a place on the edge of the red light district where we can lay low, but my hands are all messed up so you better drive brother.

GTA3 on Switch lets gooooooo

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Well, I'd be interested in a up-to-date version of Vice City, but I have some concerns

- The article mentions staying true to the originals. If that means keeping the "lock-on" system and not updating the controls to be dual-analog then that is a huge mistake (IMO) and may kill any interest I have

- If they fuck up the soundtrack to VC in any way I'll be very annoyed.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because it's on Unreal doesn't mean it's a remake, it's probably going to use most of the same assets as the original games.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
They don't need to update the gameplay much for me to be interested, but they need to improve the controls. I started playing VC again on PS4 yesterday and it was pretty horrendous

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to believe since iirc Nintendo doesn't even allow M rated games on their platforms

tenor.gif

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I'll watch the Digital Foundry video with interest when they come out but it would take more than a remaster for me to replay them.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
The Red Dead stuff is so odd, considering they did so much work to accommodate a remake of it within 2. The whole land mass is built, the protagonist is rigged, they modeled several of the main characters and brought back the voice actors for RDO. It seems like they'd need to implement the missions and redo the cutscenes and they're there. But what do I know about game development. I'm sure I'm missing something big and obvious.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Why would they use Unreal Engine rather than their own in-house tech? Makes me feel like it's not true.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
dude i can't believe this is happening
what the hell? these are three of my favourite games of all time so i'm excited but at the same time i have so many questions like

- will they change the controls?
- is the change to unreal engine going to change the atmosphere of the game?
- will all games have the full OG soundtrack?

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that doesn't make sense to me is, if it is ported to unreal then that would mean a lot of code remaking and other stuff.

GTA San Andreas is a really big game. Anybody who modded the game knows just how much stuff there is in the game. Redoing all that stuff for a simple remaster sounds really pointless for the amount of effort. Not to mention, if what the article says is true, then why wouldn't they just go all the way if they are remaking it? Sounds like it will be a very similiar game to the original. Graphics and all aside from some improvement here and there.

Panam

This guy are sick of Unshakable Resolve
Feb 3, 2021
Remake or no buy. These games don't need remasters.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Gameplay on those games are so outdated.
Some of my favorite features I seen in new games are QOL. Going from Borderlands 2 to 3 was massive that way enough that I'd love for them to rebuild the old BL games in the BL3 engine with some of the QOL stuff. Same goes for when I played through the Mass Effect games on the XB360. The QOL changes between games were really big.

Hopefully they pick up some nice QOL changes for these GTA rebuilds.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Give me info on the soundtracks now i need to be cruising in Vice City to MJ and Afrika Bambaataa

Feb 8, 2018
Mildly interested. Haven't played them in ages and VC and also SA were rather epic back then. Still before I'm in for a remaster I must find a reason to play a technically old game.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if it is using the AI upscaling like Mass Effect. Overall I think that worked pretty well.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I am 100% in if real. I hope they are remastering the controls and the shooting gameplay, hasn't aged well at all.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully the QoL changes are substantial because these games are damn near unplayable in a contemporary context. I can't imagine people playing these for the first time will find much to enjoy about them.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Just because it's on Unreal doesn't mean it's a remake, it's probably going to use most of the same assets as the original games.

Zelnick said that they won't do simple remasters

During a Morgan Stanley speaking event, Strauss Zelnick said remasters have always been a part of Take-Two's strategy, and this is expected to continue.

"I'm not sure they'll be a bigger part of the strategy. Remastering has always been a part of the strategy. What we've done differently than the competition is we don't just port titles over," he said (via VGC). "We actually take the time to do the very best job we can making the title different for the new release for the new technology that we're launching it on."

www.gamespot.com

Take-Two Boss On Remasters: "We Don't Just Port Titles Over"

Strauss Zelnick believes there is reason why remasters from his company may perform better than the competition.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Gonna need to see how involved these remasters are before I can muster up the energy to care, lol. I'd be in for Vice City though, again, provided it's more than a frame rate and resolution bump.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I'm excited, I would put money on these not having aged well. The mission design was absolutely god awful if I remember correctly: jam packed with insta mission fail states which then made you restart the entire thing. WIll be good for a laugh though - VC was great fun.