Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Something they seem to be trying to project is this whole idea that he's just trying to be a regular normal guy.

There's a lot of parallels not just in some parts of Asian, but specifically the Asian-American cultural experience. I wonder if they're leaning into it. Would be nice if so.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I couldn't help but notice that Wenwu still had all 10 of his rings in this scene, so it looks like Shang-Chi somehow acquires 5 new rings.

TK5NWQU.gif

Never. Ever. Trust. Marvel. Trailers.

Oct 27, 2017
Something they seem to be trying to project is this whole idea that he's just trying to be a regular normal guy.

There's a lot of parallels not just in some parts of Asian, but specifically the Asian-American cultural experience. I wonder if they're leaning into it. Would be nice if so.

I think the director (Destin Daniel Cretton) has said in interviews stuff about capturing that feeling of being an outsider the way many Asian Americans like himself can often feel. I'm hoping that type of stuff shines through in the completed film.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
More evidence seems to suggest that Shang Chi will probably get his power boost via the rings by the end of the movie.
He's not just gonna be a regular Kung Fu man.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Huh...I thought this was TV show for some reason had no idea it was a film. If I'm judging it on movie standards it looks pretty generic.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Did they remove this release from D+ Premiere Access? That ending tag said "only in theaters".

Unfortunately it's not on there so I'll be waiting till it hits Premier as I'm still not going back to the cinema yet.

I guess Shang Chi is going to serve as a sacrificial lamb to see how much hunger there actually is for people to go see a MCU movie in the cinema.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
"What happened to your shirt?"

Still hoping for a Trevor cameo.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
More evidence seems to suggest that Shang Chi will probably get his power boost via the rings by the end of the movie.
Have no idea why people had an issue with him being somewhat grounded. He could easily be similar to Panther and Cap with enhancements from being able to control and master his chi. Don't think he needed a massive powerboost.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017

Dude did a super hero landing. Not the Black Widow kind that involved the right physics, angles, and posture. But that superman style landing lol. He's definitely gotta be stronger than the average man.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Godamn this just looks like the hottest shit every time i see anything new!

And dude looks absolutely break you in half way too casually strong af in that thunderdome shrug scene. lol I hope he's integral to marvel goin forward

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just noticed that they retconned the Mandarin to be Shang-Chi's father in the comics to match the MCU. In the same issue they retconned the Phoenix to be Thor's mother.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Still pinching myself as to how they managed to convince Tony Leung to be in a Hollywood movie, let alone a Marvel one at that. Really hyped for this movie.

I'm just hoping they manage to reach the non-Asian audiences like how Black Panther was to non-African Americans. Era seems to be less warm on Shang-Chi, perhaps in part due to the falsely perceived "superhero fatigue".

Oct 25, 2017
Still pinching myself as to how they managed to convince Tony Leung to be in a Hollywood movie, let alone a Marvel one at that. Really hyped for this movie.

I'm just hoping they manage to reach the non-Asian audiences like how Black Panther was to non-African Americans. Era seems to be less warm on Shang-Chi, perhaps in part due to the falsely perceived "superhero fatigue".
I'm actually surprised at how little traction this thread is getting.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Looks so good, just hope the box office isn't a wasteland by the time it releases.

Yep I remember Thor having two eyes in the Ragnarok trailers.
Watch the 2nd Loki trailer. It's bonkers how much it lies. They digitally removed Slyvie from so many shots, not to mention the scenes and dialogue that just aren't even in the final show.
Feige is the best...

..meanwhile I expect the No Way Home trailer to spoil the whole movie and show the ending too.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually surprised at how little traction this thread is getting.

I'm not and I think I know why it's not getting that much traction compared to most Marvel films. This is a personal story about a character that hardly anyone knew about. I only heard about him like 4-5 years ago when people were talking about how he could be a guest star on the Iron Fist Netflix show.

This movie is not going to get into the multiverse. It's not going to explain the history of the Earth like the Eternals. And we're not going to be introduced to mutants either. Like I said it's a personal story, and one that may relate well to the Asian American community so there won't be dozens of pages about how this will connect with the other thing and so on.

Oct 27, 2017

It's pretty unfortunate that the movie is coming out at a time where people aren't going to theaters anymore so I doubt it's going to have the level of reach :(

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

I'm rooting hard for Shang Chi, but from the recent footage it seems to have the same issues as Black Widow and Captain Marvel of being directed by an algorithm instead of a filmmaker

Black Panther works so well because, until the last act anyway, it is 100% a Ryan Coogler film. His trademarks as a director are all over it.

Shang Chi really does not have that same vibe. I hope I'm wrong, but like the other two entries I mentioned, it seems like most of the film was made before they even hired the "director", an indie guy who was probabaly there to keep the actors in line and nothing more.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't help but notice that Wenwu still had all 10 of his rings in this scene, so it looks like Shang-Chi somehow acquires 5 new rings.

TK5NWQU.gif

We have a few other scenes to reference. Shang Chi arrives in this location in one scene where he does his superhero landing with 5 of the rings which I guess aided him with his super jump and landing. And the previous trailer had the two go at it in a tug of war for the rings with Shang Chi and his father in control of 5 rings each as they glowed using each characters primary color.

In the end it's hard to say what that all means as Mandarin still has all the rings in that gif but we saw Shang Chi arrive in probably that exact location with 5 rings himself.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

TK5NWQU.gif
It's not the same scene, just edited to look that way. The scene with Tony Leung here is likely before he and clashes with Simu Liu, while the one with the rings floating around Liu is from a scene after he has wrestled 5 of them away from Leung.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's not the same scene, just edited to look that way. The scene with Tony Leung here is likely before he and clashes with Simu Liu, while the one with the rings floating around Liu is from a scene after he has wrestled 5 of them away from Leung.
I wish they didn't show Shang Chi getting half the ring. you can assume what's going to happen in the final battle alread. Shang Chi losing, and later manage to get half the ring via tug of war clip we'seen in other trailer, before winning the fight.

also. another mirror match final battle in MCU...

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Still the craziest part of this for me as well. Anecdotally know a lot of folks that are simply calling it "that Leung Chiu Wai Marvel movie".

I hope they keep him around, but I also kinda know in my gut that it's a one-movie gig for him.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Still the craziest part of this for me as well. Anecdotally know a lot of folks that are simply calling it "that Leung Chiu Wai Marvel movie".

I hope they keep him around, but I also kinda know in my gut that it's a one-movie gig for him.
Yeah, I hope he doesn't even up being another one and done type of villain.
Maybe lock him up or leave his fate ambiguous after the final battle.