• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying go out and do an interview to pat yourself on the back for not saying a slur anymore, but, well, it is completely, blatantly true that getting stuck enough in a bubble of people who don't hold you accountable leads to shit like this.

No it was never correct to lob homophobic slurs but no it's fine, I meant gay as in lame not actual gay people, but it was correct to the straights because they only had other straights to call them out.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I tried to remember the last time I used it and it was probably in HS, in the fucking mid-90s. Dear god at still using now.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Matt Damon says the recent cultural shift has taught him to "shut the f*** up more
He really should. I thought he would have done that after the Project Greenlight debacle. Shit man, I stopped using the word "gay" as an insult once I got into high school and that was the early to mid-2000s.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
just imagine what else he says if he's just now getting around to this word.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Good for him kinda? That's really fucking late, holy shit. By the time I got to college people weren't really saying it much at all. Even gay as an insult even. What rock has he been under all this time?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty pathetic and out of touch to hold onto that word until 2021. Glad he stopped and publicaly gave this story, though it's still not a good look.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I've always hated that word, even when it was used in shows like Will & Grace (though I don't think they used it in the revival).

It's a bad look for Matt that he still thought it was okay to use it just a couple of months ago, but I know he's an ally, so I, personally, can forgive him and not make a big deal about it.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Obviously doesn't make sense because it's not a slur but for a few seconds I thought the thread title was talking about the word "fuck" because I assumed there's no way Damon would be using the gay slur still today. Jesus Christ.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Now you gotta wonder what other slurs he's saying that he thinks are perfectly fine but his daughter hasn't gotten around to tell him are wrong.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
"But I said it in the movie!" claims man who was using awful slur words that the whole of society has stopped using nearly a decade ago until just months into 2021.

British people who smoke.

Actually, even Brits these days are not aware where the word originally came from. It wasn't for cigarettes, it had a very specific use in the 19th century: "an English public-school boy who acts as servant to an older schoolmate". Check a dictionary, if you like. And guess why it 'evolved' into meaning sucking on a cigarette.

Anyone who uses that word regardless of what they think it means is vile.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Well he is medieval

Matt-Damon-in-The-Last-Duel.jpg

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
We need to officially cancel people. No more threads and all his movies get banned on Era.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I guess better late then never...

Exactly I'd rather a person finally realise the error of their ways and grow from it, than never. Like if JKR suddenly (genuinely) reversed their position on their TERF views, I'd be glad they eventually learned from it and became a better person than what they once were. It doesn't change the past but it leaves the future a little brighter that people can change, and that gives hope for the future.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Boomers are typically LTTP, but 2021 is real late to retire the F-slur, god damn.

Still, overdue change is better than no change. Props to Matt Damon's daughter for stepping up.

We need to officially cancel people. No more threads and all his movies get banned on Era.
Is that what we need though?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna choose to bite my tongue and focus on the fact that he listened and stopped. At this point, I'll take what I can get. It goes to show how little reach this current culture has for some people. There's still a lot of work left to be done. Goddamn, it took that long though eh? It really did? Well. I really aometimes feel like I live on another planet.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think he'd have learnt from Liam Neeson to refrain from these personal anecdotes during the press rounds for a new movie.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
However long it takes you to get to the finish line, as long as you get there.

His daughter sounds like her head's on straight. Good shit.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people still use this word but tell themselves that they dont "mean it like that" if they arent directly referencing gay people. So it's not surprising.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Need some new sort of word or phrase for tepidly congratulating someone while still calling them a huge asshole.