• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Posted by Angie
www.gamesindustry.biz

More PS5 stock boosts Gran Turismo 7 and Horizon Forbidden West sales | UK Boxed Charts

The arrival of new PS5 hardware bundles has boosted sales of its big games.Gran Turismo 7 posted a 163% spike in sales,…
The arrival of new PS5 hardware bundles has boosted sales of its big games.

Gran Turismo 7 posted a 163% spike in sales, sending the racing game up five places to No.2. Just behind it is Horizon Forbidden West at No.3, which jumped 11 places after a 307% leap in sales.

Other PS5 games also moved up the charts, partially due to the arrival of more console stock but also Easter price promotions. Spider-Man: Miles Morales re-enters the charts at No.15 after a 302% sales spike, while Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is back in the Top 40 at No.17 after a 709% jump. Finally, Ghostwire: Tokyo returns at No.21 (sales up 210%) and Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut is at No.30 (up 464%).

Here is the GfK UK Boxed Top Ten for the week ending April 16:

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
New Entry1LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
72Gran Turismo 7
143Horizon Forbidden West
34FIFA 22
45Pokémon Legends: Arceus
56Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
27Kirby and The Forgotten Land
68Elden Ring
169Grand Theft Auto 5
810Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like there's a lot of demand for those games, it's just getting the consoles they want to play them on for the best experience. Not diminishing the PS4 versions as those look really great but I'm guessing the QOL is better with the faster load times alone.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Lots of people waiting to get a PS5 before getting Sony's first party games, especially Forbidden West. It makes sense I guess

Console shortages are really pushing back software sales on PS5

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Given the success of the first game it's really obvious that Horizon would sell a ton more copies if more PS5s were out there. Same thing as we've seen with as Miles.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Given the success of the first game it's really obvious that Horizon would sell a ton more copies if more PS5s were out there. Same thing as we've seen with as Miles.

Yeah, it is what I have been saying for a while now, and was always obvious. Thats why it is pointless basing any PS5 games sales on the previous entry, because so many people are clearly waiting until they get a PS5 before purchasing said games. I expect to see this for some months now, especially as we enter as quiet period.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
HFW deserves it, such a wonderful game, Sony really need to get more PS5's out there.

GT7 will be in the charts for this entire generation if they support it like they did GT Sport

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Happy for Horizon. Can't say I'm happy for Gran Turismo 7 after what they've done with MTX. Good sales reinforces this approach.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Ghostwire get a boost from the new stock as well

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch is leading Lego SW this week.

Yeah so this is also in addition to what I said in the previos thread, the Switch version is selling well. Chris did a thread on Twitter over the weekend (looking at past Lego game sales) predicting that the Switch vesion will likely sell very well over the coming years and this is the first indication of that he will be proven right.

Kinda reminds me of the astoundment that occurred here when TLOU2 was the fastest selling game of its year due to its massive sales at launch but it did not even end up being the highest selling exclusive game of that year in the UK. People read a lot into the first week of sales, probably a bit too much IMO.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
So Lego sold 47% on the Playstation "platform" in total which brings me to the question of why Xbox consoles aren't broken down like PS4 and PS5 at Gamesindustry?

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
So Lego sold 47% on the Playstation "platform" in total which brings me to the question of why Xbox consoles aren't broken down like PS4 and PS5 at Gamesindustry?
Yeah that's weird. Don't they still have 2 boxed versions for Xbox One and Xbox Series? Would be interesting to see the generation split on that platform.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Yeah so this is also in addition to what I said in the previos thread, the Switch version is selling well. Chris did a thread on Twitter over the weekend (looking at past Lego game sales) predicting that the Switch vesion will likely sell very well over the coming years and this is the first indication of that he will be proven right.

Kinda reminds me of the astoundment that occurred here when TLOU2 was the fastest selling game of its year due to its massive sales at launch but it did not even end up being the highest selling exclusive game of that year in the UK. People read a lot into the first week of sales, probably a bit too much IMO.
It was the best selling PS exclusive though, so you're completely wrong in your seeming counter example. Or you mean something else.

www.gamesindustry.biz

43 million games sold in the UK in 2020 | UK Annual Report

Almost 43 million games, over three million consoles and nearly 10 million game accessories were sold in the UK last ye…

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

because, as with most games, there's just 'an Xbox version'. Just one.

OIP.16UBQP3iCijyt7pVLxA0DwHaHa

edit: oh sorry, this was already answered.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge

After 'Animal Crossing', wasn't it the best selling exclusive of the year in the UK … 🤔

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
GT7 killing it.

Well deserved. Fantastic game and perhaps my favourite GT ever.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Console sales are clearly holding back game sales and it just feels like this is going to have an effect going forward for Sony first party releases. When you see all PS5 games getting a boost with new stock, you would think Sony will be of the thought that there really is no point in releasing new heavy hitters. I think PS5 stock is massively holding back game releases such as GOW Ragnarok which is really annoying, but it makes sense as to why Sony would go that route.

Yes there are PS4 versions of these first party Sony games but people have clearly, from when the PS5 released been happy to wait to get a PS5 before getting those games. 50 hours into Horizon FW now, I can't imagine playing the game with PS4 load times, visuals or the console sounding like a jet engine.

Ziyi

Banned
Mar 24, 2022
Who would have thought that nine years later in the year of 2022 GTA 5 is still in the top ten sales chart. For Playstation Five.

:)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably more like people are just waiting to play Horizon on PS5, and more people are buying the game when they get hold of a PS5.

I'll throw in my anecdotal because I was one of the UK folk who finally bought a physical copy of HFW last week.

In my case it wasn't due to PS5 availability (had one since launch) and wasn't due to finishing Elden Ring (I haven't yet), it was because of pricing. Amazon were doing it for £44.99 (cheapest I've seen it since launch there) so I jumped on it.

So glad I did. It's GREAT.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't most PS5s being sold bundled with those games? It makes sense for the large increase.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
It's probably more like people are just waiting to play Horizon on PS5, and more people are buying the game when they get hold of a PS5.
I did that for miles and would have done it for horizon if I didn't manage to get a ps5 before it came out, the ps4 is just a bit long in the tooth now lol, I wanted to play these games on the new system.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lots of people waiting to get a PS5 before getting Sony's first party games, especially Forbidden West. It makes sense I guess

Console shortages are really pushing back software sales on PS5

Probably also one reason why we haven't seen larger discounts for 1st party games on PSN yet. They are betting on new owners' willingness to buy games closer to full price.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
What a jump for HFW! 😍 Really happy for Guerrilla, they deserve the success, HFW is amazing.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Good to see GT7 and Horizon 2 doing well, hopefully they'll keep selling everytime there are restocks like Miles lol

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't most PS5s being sold bundled with those games? It makes sense for the large increase.
I haven't paid attention to bundles so maybe I'm off base but aren't retailers more likely to bundle in stuff that isn't extremely desirable on its own? Like people will buy Horizon and GT7 regardless, so shouldn't retailers bundle other games that aren't selling as well?