PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Is 2D hand drawn with modern technology really more expensive than attempting to create and animate life like animals?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Since I want to be a nerd, All the characters in The Lion King have names with African roots – mostly Swahili, so you have stuff like Mufusa - King, Rafiki - Friend, Simba - Lion. Etc, so I'm doing a quick look at the new characters list and seeing how their names line up.

Kiros - Lord
Eshe - Life
Obasi - Main thing I can find is "In honour of the supreme god", so I dunno if this lines up with either "Honor" or "God" here.
Afia - The first appearance for "Born on Friday" from Ghana, but further digging in seems to point to "Traveller" or "Wanderer"
Masego - Blessings

Taka for reference is "Garbage", which is very mean, But it's not like Taka's a new character anyway.

Anyway, just based of that, I place bets that Kiros is going to be the big bad of the film, Mads Mikelson being the villain makes sense at least.

Aside from that, yeah similar issue to the last Lion King where the photorealistic designs just look lifeless. This didn't really change my opinion on that front. Would also mirror this would be more interesting if traditionally animated. As a teaser go, it seems fine, although I feel like using Circle of Life is just a cheat code. I feel like it's not going to be a film I'll enjoy in the end. But it really comes down to if they do something fun with the script. It already being a new story probably would make it better than the first on that fact alone as I don't have to sit through "Oh this is a worse version of a film I already have seen" this time around. Beyond that though? Ehh...

Also Lin Manuel doing the soundtrack for this film and not Moana 2, what a timeline we are in.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure why exactly but I swear to god this entire trailer looks like a car commercial.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
www.empireonline.com

Mufasa: The Lion King Trailer Interview: Barry Jenkins On Blue Ivy Carter, The New Songs, And More

Barry Jenkins speaks to Empire about his The Lion King prequel-sequel Mufasa – including the new locations, casting and musical numbers.

In terms of story, Jenkins reveals that the film "exists in parallel timelines," following both a nascent Mufasa in the past, and Simba and Nala's daughter Kiara in the present day. This seemingly implies that Mufasa is taking cues from the original animated direct-to-video sequel, The Lion King II: Simba's Pride, but Jenkins is expectedly guarded on specifics. "There's some stuff from the canon that is very much referenced or alluded to, but it's its own thing," he shares. As Scar once said, be prepared.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
In motion, it looks much better than the stills. Seems more "cartoony" than the last movie… in a good way.

How does the Scar "jealous about the line of succession" thing work if they weren't born nobles? How is that even possible with how lion prides work?

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Sometimes lions are born without a pride or get kicked out of one by the Alpha, and they team up with other lions (often brothers) and take over a pride. Perhaps that's what happened with Mufasa and Scar.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure there was also a trailer framed like this on with Timon and Pumba in a theater and a bunch of other Disney characters join in but I can't seem to find it

That's the end of the movie, you see Silohouttes of the rest of The Lion King cast coming in to watch the movie, then you see Mickey's Ears, and then more of the expanded Disney Animated cast come in as well.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
the hardest of hard passes

utter trash

shame adults can't handle "animation..." while watching animation

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Shockingly, I don't hate this at all but as most have said, this definitely would've looked so much better if it was a high budget animated film instead. I guess they succeeded though because I'm not totally against this live action Disney remake for the first time ever lol.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's the end of the movie, you see Silohouttes of the rest of The Lion King cast coming in to watch the movie, then you see Mickey's Ears, and then more of the expanded Disney Animated cast come in as well.
That's what it was! Could have sworn it was another teaser but it's been so long

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
My exact thoughts. I don't care for the computer stuff anymore. Would have been awesome if it was hand drawn
All I can think about is James Baxter's animation for Lion King

View: https://x.com/JakeLeeAnim/status/1694859436584505472

I guess its nice to see more of the Lion King franchise expanded out. They really did a ton for this universe compared to other 90s era Disney properties I think though, right? Original, 1 1/2, 2, the Timon and Pumbaa tv show, Lion Guard, the wildly popular Broadway musical. And now two of of these cgi movies.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
rC9pWPO.jpeg

2941357-3_1600x1200.jpg

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
the hardest of hard passes

utter trash

shame adults can't handle "animation..." while watching animation
I don't think it's an "adult problem". Adults are into anime, stuff like Marvel's X-Men '97 (and probably the upcoming animated Spider-Man Freshmen Years show too). I think it's more so the executives who simply devalue animation for no real reason other than they personally don't find it interesting. For instance, when I saw Shrek in theaters for the 25th Anniversary, the audience was about 95% adult if not more. I feel like these executives simply hate on animation just because its been used as a way to appeal to kids for so long not realizing that those kids will grow up to still like animation and would show up for all of the right projects. Hell, if Disney did a full on run of putting old Pixar or old Disney Animation films in theaters, they'd arguably see more money from that than anything they're releasing right now. It's, in my opinion, a "out-of-touch" problem more so than an adult one.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
So, instead of Mufasa being born to be king and Scar just being pissed off that Mufasa was the first born, they're now making it so Scar actually was meant to be king until some orphan showed up? Why?

Oct 28, 2017
How does the Scar "jealous about the line of succession" thing work if they weren't born nobles? How is that even possible with how lion prides work?

"Without a drop of nobility in his blood"

What happened to his dad and the kings of the past? Is he adopted?

It's the very first thing I said as well. So with a flaw/plot hole that glaring, there must be an obvious way to address this in the film.

I would be into this if it was big budget AND animated like Princess and The Frog. But it's not so I really dont give a shit.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
Can't help but watch this and think "wouldn't it be so much better if it was traditional animation".
Same. Would general audiences go see it though if it was hand-drawn 2D? It seems like all the popular stuff is cgi heavy nowadays. Disney is probably afraid of a The Princess and the Frog repeat, which sucks because that's my second favorite animated Disney movie and it deserves way more credit.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the animals actually emote a little so it's comparably bit less lifeless? Hooray?

Now, Mufasa being an orphan sounds like some complete nonsense.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I was not really in already, but just reading lin manuel miranda's name at the end im was like "im 100% out!"
Im so fucking tired of his style of music in disney projects. The seagull song in the little mermaid live action was ATROCIOUS
And when its not him , is people trying to be him, like in Wish, and that movie was aboslutely horrible mediocrity.

Are tim rice, alan meken, elton john... totally retired or something. I know alan menken didnt do the lion king, but he should still be called for dinsey movies like Wish.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So basically Scar is going to do something to prove he's an unworthy king, but having Mufasa seemingly being adopted/taken into the royalty...I dunno man suddenly Scar's spite sounds vindicated. lol

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Why does this look so low budget compared to Lion King. Looks cheap and fanmade.

Honestly would have preferred a handrawn animation.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm yeah I'm skeptical to a lot of things here. Some things looks worse than the 2019 movie, like the fur is less soft somehow, and the anatomy seems weird sometimes. And for the story, whaaat not real brothers?!? It's gonna be weird. What is cool though, is a lot of new lion characters. That might be interesting.