metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's an "adult problem". Adults are into anime, stuff like Marvel's X-Men '97 (and probably the upcoming animated Spider-Man Freshmen Years show too). I think it's more so the executives who simply devalue animation for no real reason other than they personally don't find it interesting. For instance, when I saw Shrek in theaters for the 25th Anniversary, the audience was about 95% adult if not more. I feel like these executives simply hate on animation just because its been used as a way to appeal to kids for so long not realizing that those kids will grow up to still like animation and would show up for all of the right projects. Hell, if Disney did a full on run of putting old Pixar or old Disney Animation films in theaters, they'd arguably see more money from that than anything they're releasing right now. It's, in my opinion, a "out-of-touch" problem more so than an adult one.
Yeah. I hear you, and that's certainly a more cogent analysis than my instantly emotional one. I can't stand this stuff and beyond that, how much money it makes.

TheKeipatzy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Oh look a non-royal orphan becomes part of the royal system to oppress all the other Lions but this is a good thing right because he's a good person and he's the one who taught us all the way of the circle of life... IN FLASHBACKS!

And of course they want more than Manuel songs because we haven't been tired of it yet Disney. -_- there's only one ethnic composer that can DEFINITELY emulate African music :/ (yeah believe it or not I'm sour about him doing Pacific islander inspired musicbut that's a whole other thing)

-_-

Definitely going to be waiting on the reviews on this I'm not going to go out of my way but I guarantee you they're going to merchandise this the hell in theaters. I mean IF already has those popcorn things and blankets and those are actually selling decently. And that's a random movie! (I expected people to be gobbling up Garfield stuff though cuz that's always the nature!)

At least December will end up an interesting note. This and Sonic and... Something else I can't remember

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
This realistic cg, no matter how good it looks, will just never be able to wow me compared to even movies from 20+ years ago that were 2d aninlmated for example. Old Disney, Ghibli etc. are just so much more visually stunning than soullessly replicating real life.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I'm actually excited for this. A "live action" movie that tells a brand new story. Good director, you got lin Manuel, looks gorgeous. I'm here

Silverhand

Oct 26, 2023
I'd love to see a cartoon remake of Coming to America but told with the Lion King characters.

Mufasa: "My son works?!?!?!"

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Barry Jenkins, Lin-Manuel Miranda, James Laxton, Nicholas Britell, Pharrell Williams, Hans Zimmer, Mads Mikkelsen, Seth Rogen, Thandiwe Newton, Donald Glover, Beyoncé, Billy Eichner...

Rarely have so many talented people gathered on a project so fundamentally uninteresting. Basically everyone involved except the writer (Jeff Nathanson of PotC: Dead Men Tell No Tales and Speed 2 fame) is great.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The CGI in this looks so overdone that it's having the reverse effect of somehow making everything look less realistic.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Man what a waste of Barry Jenkins. I hope he got a nice fat bag for this. I swear it looks worse visually than 2019, though that could just be YouTube compression. The shots and composition looks way more cartoony, but not in a cool way.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Is he in anything outside of Lion Guard?
No idea. Kiara is in Lion Guard as the older sister, but obviously it was mainly Kion's show. They did make a point, though, that Kiara would be Queen of the Pridelands. Kion was just set up to be an enforcer if one wanted a jaded take of it.

Yay for little nephews forcing me to watch that show.

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
I actually liked this teaser. It looks better and more colorful than the remake, and all the characters seem to be more expressive. The creative team also inspires trust that this will be at least interesting.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
that looks fine I guess. just a couple take aways here

Disney has got to find a different fucking song writer than Lin Manuel.
Beyonce VO work was terrible, I doubt she better

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty lame.
Seems like there's no art direction at all - basically let's make completely accurate CGI animals and make them talk.
At least the previous film adapted the classic story we all know and love, but this one is just a national geographic production for all we care.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like it's intentionally a bit less real looking than the first one but I still don't find it all that pretty

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
It would be nice to see these lions move on from a monarchy and choose a representative form of government.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
It's so depressing that this will likely make a billion dollars. Creatively bankrupt doesn't even begin to describe this.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why DOES it say Oprhan as one of the keywords in the poster when the cast list has a Mother and Father for Mufasa in them?

Are we upping Mufasa's death by having both Father and Mother die this time around?

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
I'm mostly amused. Visually it didn't wow me like the original did, but CG might not be finished at this point. LMM is a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one, and if he delivers he will probably be this movie's secret weapon.

The plot? I'm mostly curious about how much it will contradict established lore (which I've always been into, but now everyone suddenly cares about too?) and how much it will make Mufasa look like an asshole and Scar look like he was in the right. But hey, they're doing their own thing, I can respect that. Still seems like a Disney+ watch to me, and I can't remember the last Disney movie I thought this about.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Making Mufasa an orphan is patently idiotic. Clearly no one could come up with a half decent idea when some brain dead exec greenlit this shit.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Aside from just being exhausted by the endless continuation of franchises well past their expiration date, the photorealistic look on these movies just really mutes any sense of interest or dynamism they're trying to convey in the story. It's just so boring to watch, even as a 90 second trailer.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. I have no idea how this is gonna go. It's riding on one of Disney's most successful brands, so that's not nothing, but it's also a movie that no one asked for, and Disney is on a bit of a losing streak. If it's good I think it'll do really well, if it's bad I think it'll have a really good opening weekend.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I wish more than anything that this was classic 2D animation. I don't want the story of Mufasa told in this hyperrealistic style.

Ah well, will watch when it hits Disney Plus in 2025.

Sep 18, 2023
The thread where people voted that they think Sonic 3 is going to do better than this is still hilarious

People said that because there wasn't a confirmed cast or songwriter it couldn't be said for sure that this would have big names, and people didn't even know it existed yet. Well, now we know it has big names and it's going to be marketed heavily for 8 months, so! LMM original songs, probably a Beyoncé one as well, and it's a prequel that tells us about Mufasa and Scar's origins? This is going to kill at the box office. Sure the trailer looks ugly. I still hate the photorealistic animation. But the first looked the same and audiences flocked to it.
I don't understand why they felt the need to retcon his lineage?
Idk if it's a full retcon. They're just making it that he was adopted. Otherwise it's stuff we already know: he's the older brother to Taka/Scar, they have a falling out over ascendancy

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
The thread where people voted that they think Sonic 3 is going to do better than this is still hilarious

People said that because there wasn't a confirmed cast or songwriter it couldn't be said for sure that this would have big names, and people didn't even know it existed yet. Well, now we know it has big names and it's going to be marketed heavily for 8 months, so! LMM original songs, probably a Beyoncé one as well, and it's a prequel that tells us about Mufasa and Scar's origins? This is going to kill at the box office. Sure the trailer looks ugly. I still hate the photorealistic animation. But the first looked the same and audiences flocked to it.

Idk if it's a full retcon. They're just making it that he was adopted. Otherwise it's stuff we already know: he's the older brother to Taka/Scar, they have a falling out over ascendancy

Yeah. Like I said before, not only would I be willing to bet this does better than Sonic 3, I'd be willing to bet it doubles Sonic 3's WW numbers. People need to be for real. Beyonce and Blue Ivy are gonna be doing promo for this. There's clearly a market for these photorealistic animal adventure movies, especially overseas. Life of Pi did $600M+, Jungle Book did almost a billion, the first "live action" LK did a billion overseas alone.

I'm just happy for Barry Jenkins. I hope this gives him a blank check to get some other projects off the ground.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Looks marginally better than Favreau's crap but still nowhere near worth sitting through. Such a waste of resources to make something with so little life and visual appeal.

Oh thank god someone gave Beyoncé's daughter a job. She needs a leg up in this world.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Yeah Sonic's not beating this lol

"Without a drop of nobility in his blood" is an excellent hook for people who enjoy the shakespear-esque elements of the original Lion King, and LMM sounds like a great get on top of all the big name voice actors.

Maybe this would have had a chance at bombing if the trailers presented it worse than this, but imo this doesn't look like one at the moment. Can see it clearing $600 million easy

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll throw this project a bone in that I appreciate the apparent canonizing of Lion King 2, but other than that, uh, there's really nothing fundamentally interesting about this premise or the way it's framed.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Sonic's not beating this lol

"Without a drop of nobility in his blood" is an excellent hook for people who enjoy the shakespear-esque elements of the original Lion King, and LMM sounds like a great get on top of all the big name voice actors.

Maybe this would have had a chance at bombing if the trailers presented it worse than this, but imo this doesn't look like one at the moment. Can see it clearing $600 million easy
Shouldn't we be getting a trailer for that soon?

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nope.

Is 2D hand drawn with modern technology really more expensive than attempting to create and animate life like animals?

The last three traditionally-animated films greenlit for production from WDAS:
Winnie the Pooh (2011): $30 million
The Princess and the Frog (2009): $100 million
Brother Bear (2003): $46 million

[Note: Home on the Range --$110 million-- was released after Brother Bear in 2004, but it entered production years before Brother Bear and lasted longer in development (due to it being revised from its original "Sweating Bullets" concept).]

The previous three theatrical live-action/CG adaptations of the Disney Animated Canon:
The Little Mermaid (2023): $240 million
Mulan (2020): $200 million
The Lion King (2019): $250-$260 million

[Bonus: Pinocchio was released for Disney+, but it has a listed budget of $150 million.]

Also Lin Manuel Miranda working on original music. Wonder if that's why he's not on Moana 2

Moana 2 was originally a Disney+ series that ended up being reworked/fast-tracked into a feature film, and Miranda was likely pretty busy during both the phases when it was developed as a series (In the Heights, Vivo, Encanto) and when it was being reformulated into a feature film (Wish and Mufasa). I'm sure if Disney had greenlit Moana 2 as a new standalone project, I'm sure they would they would had asked Miranda to return as a composer once his work on the latter two were complete.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yet another overmilked Disney franchise. The original lion king is pretty much the perfect movie. Absolutely no reason to drag it out for a prequel where for some unexplainable reason all the characters from the first movie all somehow meet in a few days.
Last one made 1B,of course they are going to drain that cow.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's an "adult problem". Adults are into anime, stuff like Marvel's X-Men '97 (and probably the upcoming animated Spider-Man Freshmen Years show too). I think it's more so the executives who simply devalue animation for no real reason other than they personally don't find it interesting. For instance, when I saw Shrek in theaters for the 25th Anniversary, the audience was about 95% adult if not more. I feel like these executives simply hate on animation just because its been used as a way to appeal to kids for so long not realizing that those kids will grow up to still like animation and would show up for all of the right projects. Hell, if Disney did a full on run of putting old Pixar or old Disney Animation films in theaters, they'd arguably see more money from that than anything they're releasing right now. It's, in my opinion, a "out-of-touch" problem more so than an adult one.

The success of Mario and Spider-Verse has to send a message, I hope. Animation is (relatively) cheap, and in this modern era with budgets ballooning out of control, everyone stands to benefit. Maybe instead of greenlighting the next stupidly expensive Indiana Jones, an X-Men 97 movie can get a spot on the release calendar. Honestly kinda amazing that Disney hasn't tried "animated Marvel" at the theatres yet.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
rC9pWPO.jpeg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjQG-a7d41Q

Miranda again … facepalm