How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Is that confirmation of 12.9TF or am I reading it wrong?
I'm just saying compared to GCN, the RDNA architecture is much more efficient per clock but the downside is it yields lower TF numbers.

People will inevitably look at the final numbers and say "well it's not THAT much better than an Xbox One X" and I'm saying that is the wrong way to look at the TF numbers.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
The only way I could see Sony going earlier is if they're also planning a slightly earlier launch in September or something - which would be nice but highly unlikely. I'm going to guess they won't want to do a reveal more than 10 months from launch.
IIRC, launch games for both systems are targeted for Holiday 2020

PS5 and Xbox Scarlett will launch together again.....possibly in the same month like last time.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, 13 tfps is crazy, especially if the 2ghz rumor is true. It is unlikely because how hot the console will ru-

Here it is...

nieuwe-console-770x508.jpg

.....oh.

Feb 10, 2018
Sure, I get your point. But why advertise it in the reveal? So the possibility for the developers is probably there. Regarding the financial feasibility I have no idea.

They won't be the first company to Somwhat inflate the truth.
They well may do it, I just don't understand how they will make money.

If Google pays let's say $400 for each stadia stack when they reach 1million concurrent players that's $400 million in hardware costs let's says Google sell 20million games per year and gets roughly $15 per game that's $150million dollers per year, they will probably get $10mill from Stadia Pro per month, so it's going to be while before they get profitable, if they ever even do.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
we still dont have any idea what is the PS5 code name on the developer side, how is it that no one has told us so far.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I'm not doubting that next gen consoles will use top of the line architecture and are likely pushing beyond with some things being picked from AMD's roadmap. That lines up with with what we've come to expect from next gen consoles. It's the raw power part that is bugging me, I just see no basis for it.

Let's take the 5700XT and extrapolate from there to get an understanding of AMDs GPU 2020 portfolio.

The 5700XT is a 7nm, 9.75 TF card, drawing between 210w-225w

So now I'm accounting for 7nm+ (10% perfomance uplift is what I read) and "architectural improvements" adding a generous 2 TF, boosting the equivalent card from the 2020 portfolio to 11.75 TF using the same power draw (also boosting the 5700 equivalent to 5700XT performance at the same power draw as its predecessor).

Now the question is, would such a GPU be console candidate?

I'd argue that it isn't, just like the 5700XT currently isn't, at least without adjustments that will unfortunately also reduce performance.
  1. We need to draw this notion that a console will never draw more than 200W. But anyways, the 5700XT "GPU" is only drawing around 170W. And can draw less if undervolted. The reason the entire card is pulling over 200W is cause of the other components that make up a GPU.
  2. I don't know what is possible and what isn't, but I do know that by this tie next year, we will have a 5800XT, and that will be more powerful than whatever we are seeing in the PS5 or the 5700XT while still somehow drawing the same amount of power or less.
The mistake you are making s that you are basing everything you are saying based on the tech and hardware o the market today. Whereas what will be in the PS5/Scar is tech and hardware that isn't in anything on the market right now. Its version of RDNA wil be different, its version of th CPU wil be different, its fabrication process will be different and that is before even considering console-specific customization.

This is just like how at some point no one believed or expected that these consoles will have an SSD. Much less an SSD based on NVMe 4.0. But now that is considered old news and a standard. If that should have thought you anything, its that looking at what is possible in the market right now doesn't necessarily say what will be possible next year.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That's a strange looking dev kit. But is it designed like that - the ventilation specifically - for a reason, I wonder? I have to imagine, in a dev kit at least, that the 'V' of the vent layout serves a functional purpose more than a design one.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
  1. We need to draw this notion that a console will never draw more than 200W. But anyways, the 5700XT "GPU" is only drawing around 170W. And can draw less if undervolted. The reason the entire card is pulling over 200W is cause of the other components that make up a GPU.
  2. I don't know what is possible and what isn't, but I do know that by this tie next year, we will have a 5800XT, and that will be more powerful than whatever we are seeing in the PS5 or the 5700XT while still somehow drawing the same amount of power or less.
The mistake you are making s that you are basing everything you are saying based on the tech and hardware o the market today. Whereas what will be in the PS5/Scar is tech and hardware that isn't in anything on the market right now. Its version of RDNA wil be different, its version of th CPU wil be different, its fabrication process will be different and that is before even considering console-specific customization.

This is just like how at some point no one believed or expected that these consoles will have an SSD. Much less an SSD based on NVMe 4.0. But now that is considered old news and a standard. If that should have thought you anything, its that looking at what is possible in the market right now doesn't necessarily say what will be possible next year.

When is Navi21 (big Navi) due?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That's a strange looking dev kit. But is it designed like that - the ventilation specifically - for a reason, I wonder? I have to imagine, in a dev kit at least, that the 'V' of the vent layout serves a functional purpose more than a design one.
maybe the cooling is unfinished so they are using a really weird venting setup for the early devkit?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its fabrication process will be different and that is before even considering console-specific customization.
we know Lisa Su has said that the PS5 APU is heavily customized several times. The Flute leak shows a very clever way to cut down CPU size by reducing the L3 Cache. Of course they are going to lose Is it possible to do the same by cutting away some non essential GPU features?
When is Navi21 (big Navi) due?
csm_Navi_roadmap_ef8ab8b162.png

Next year supposedly.

ammd-rdna2-2020.jpg

slide_11_s.jpg

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good way to make sure enough air gets inside the box (people could put things on that devkits) and the V could also be a nod to PS5. Similar of the slanted back of PS4. It was a way to mandate some space in the back and reminded the slanted 4 design of the fourth Playstation logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.