• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nike appears to be preparing for its debut into the metaverse, this week filing several new trademarks for the release of branded virtual sneakers and apparel.

In its filing to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office this week, the company listed out several of its trademarked logos, including the Air Jordan "Jumpman", and registered them for use on "downloadable virtual goods, namely, computer programs featuring footwear, clothing, headwear, eyewear, bags, sports bags, backpacks, sports equipment, art, toys and accessories for use online and in online virtual worlds."

Other logos include the Nike swoosh, "Just Do It" tagline and its SNKRS app logo.
While Nike has not specified what it plans to do with its trademarked virtual goods, it is possible that the company is preparing to release sneaker NFTs to be used in the metaverse. Earlier this month, Nike released two new job applications for virtual footwear and virtual material designer.

According to the job descriptions, the company is looking for a person "to create and visualize innovative virtual material concepts using 3D tools." The roles will fall under the company's Digital Product Creation group, a team focused on what Nike calls "digital and virtual revolution."

"You will play a key role in redefining our digital landscape, ushering us into the metaverse, and growing our team's capabilities," the job description states.

More at:
hypebeast.com

Nike Is Preparing To Enter the Metaverse With Virtual Sneakers and Apparel

Filing several new trademarks for 'downloadable virtual goods.'

Lock me in the metaverse if old

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Can NFTs be bought with regular cash/credit card purchase or do you need crypto money?

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
20 year old me: lol old people don't understand anything about tech, this'll never happen to me

40 year old me: what the fuck seriously what

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am gonna run around barefoot and tell all these suckers I am actually wearing exclusive NFT Nike shoes. Genius.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
OfbRSQz.jpg

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
I thought the metaverse was like Facebook thing, but MS, Nike and other companies are in it and I am just confused so if someone can explain what the metaverse is to me like I'm 5 I'll be grateful.

I feel my brain cracking lol

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
You know, as a kid I thought I was going to be a cool adult that kept up with everything. But if NFTs/metaverse is the future I'm going to be a cranky old man.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the metaverse was like Facebook thing, but MS, Nike and other companies are in it and I am just confused so if someone can explain what the metaverse is to me like I'm 5 I'll be grateful.

I feel my brain cracking lol
You know how companies have made tons of money selling you something?

Imagine if they could make as much money by selling you nothing

That's ultimately what this is about, finding ways to monetize their brand in ways that don't involve much, or eventually any, work or real investment

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
FinePlushBuffalo-size_restricted.gif

The Crypto kids approach.
I literally come into these threads now not because of the NFTs (because I think that shit be stupid) but to see what inevitable replies will come from you and one or two other choice users/mods.

We get it - you don't like NFTs (same here!) and all of crypto (ok, maybe not me but w/e)

You're letting this shit live rent free in your head; just ignore it and move on. Guaranteed that other companies will be announcing stuff like this in the future, don't let it get to you.

I have some choice opinions about MCU Spider-Man and the Star Wars sequels but you don't see me posting about it in every single thread because who gives a fuck what I think about something that's been discussed to death?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Everytime one of these NFT threads pop up I can't help but laugh at the craziness of it all as well as the back and forth circus between the people on here who hate them or don't understand them vs the people who actually collect them.

It's just a rollercoaster of a topic everytime.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I literally come into these threads now not because of the NFTs (because I think that shit be stupid) but to see what inevitable replies will come from you and one or two other choice users/mods.

We get it - you don't like NFTs (same here!) and all of crypto (ok, maybe not me but w/e)

You're letting this shit live rent free in your head; just ignore it and move on. Guaranteed that other companies will be announcing stuff like this in the future, don't let it get to you.

I have some choice opinions about MCU Spider-Man and the Star Wars sequels but you don't see me posting about it in every single thread because who gives a fuck what I think about something that's been discussed to death?
I've got like 40,000,000 posts on Era and this is just one of them. Me coming in to roast and take a mental break =/= people living rent free in my head. I see a thread, it looks like it'll be fun, I pop in. It's not that serious. Take it easy haha.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
20 year old me: lol old people don't understand anything about tech, this'll never happen to me

40 year old me: what the fuck seriously what

This isn't an age thing. It's a 'tech companies pushing something they want really badly but has no use tot he average person' thing,

It's like when they pushed 3d displays, or the "internet of things".

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't an age thing. It's a 'tech companies pushing something they want really badly but has no use tot he average person' thing,

It's like when they pushed 3d displays, or the "internet of things".
I just used my old 3D tv to watch House of Wax on Halloween lol. IoT was a load for sure though.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Contrarian take: Nike selling digital shoes on a low emissions chain (not ETH, maybe SOL or ADA) is possibly more environmentally friendly than Nike selling new shoes that get tossed and replaced every year.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like that Ready Player One feels more and more like it could actually happen through the lense of Metaverse and NFTs.

I want off this wild ride.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020

Sure that's one way to look at it, but on the other hand… maybe it helps our mental health to vent and express annoyance in various ways. Also, it shows a certain comradery of pain—which itself can be comforting knowing so many others share your feelings about it.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone and their mother making NFTs this past month. What happened to make them all shill this?

Status
Not open for further replies.