marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Smash and Switch are the perfect (s)match. It's too easy to set up a tournament for 8 players (needing only 3 friends with a switch), or a duel in tabletop mode, anywhere.

The level of polish is insane, the DLC characters generate hype with few equals. I believe this game will sell HW for years to come.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
As a moderate fan of the series since Melee, I'm happy at the numbers, but I still don't know how this series started doing these numbers.

Smash has nothing of the usual Nintendo casual-friendly game that sells in the millions. It's way too huge, too messy, too confusing in so many ways to cater to the Mario Kart/Party/Tennis or Wii Sports audience. And for it to outsell other fighting game franchises that have been around for years longer, are much more realistic in their presentation, and are available on multiple consoles and on PC, is just something I can't wrap my head around.
It's by far the easiest fighting game to get into outside of, what, Divekick?

Oct 25, 2017
It's also impressive to think about how much revenue Smash will bring in. Controllers (pro, GameCube, joycon, GameCube adapter) amiibo (Ridley, Wolf, Inkling, reprints), Fighter's Pass (as promoted in the Game Awards), bundled hardware, collectors editions, etc.

Should also promote hardware sales which will help the sale of evergreens. Also should have the benefit of franchises featured in smash like Splatoon and Fire Emblem which have games out/soon.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Can a mod change the thread title?

The article says 「発売後1週間で500万本を売り上げた 」 which means that the game sold 5 million in a week, not three days. Which is still impressive obviously.

It's likely referring to the week of December 3rd to December 9th, of which Smash was available for sale for 3 days.

It's also impressive to think about how much revenue Smash will bring in. Controllers (pro, GameCube, joycon, GameCube adapter) amiibo (Ridley, Wolf, Inkling, reprints), Fighter's Pass (as promoted in the Game Awards), bundled hardware, collectors editions, etc.

Should also promote hardware sales which will help the sale of evergreens. Also should have the benefit of franchises featured in smash like Splatoon and Fire Emblem which have games out/soon.

Don't forget online subscriptions!

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Can a mod change the thread title?

The article says 「発売後1週間で500万本を売り上げた 」 which means that the game sold 5 million in a week, not three days. Which is still impressive obviously.
Change the right title with wrong isn't the proper action.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wellthereitis.gif

crazy stuff. I'm sure this game will be quite leggy too with all the crazy ass DLC characters

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
That 'Nintendo has no games' approach is working, I see. Next up, artificial shortages to help them get to 20 million this fiscal year.

ZaddyMattty

Dec 4, 2017
New York City
For many people Smash is just a casual game.
i-XZhxqqp-2100x20000.jpg

Literally, me, right now. There's a block button? What is it?

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's likely referring to the week of December 3rd to December 9th, of which Smash was available for sale for 3 days.

It's a possibility, but then the article says 1週間. The part would normally refer to a duration.

Change the right title with wrong isn't the proper action.

Are you saying this as an insider? I'm asking honestly, I genuinely don't know if you're one. I've always known you as pretty on top of sales talk (hence the avatar and tag), but it's never been clear to me if you were just an enthusiast or had insider knowledge.

... Or maybe you have access to the rest of the article (unlike me) and the rest of it actually specifies the exact duration? At any rate, definitely disregard my previous post if it is indeed 3 days. The beginning of the article on its own doesn't make it clear.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It's a possibility, but then the article says 1週間. The part would normally refer to a duration.

Are you saying this as an insider? I'm asking honestly, I genuinely don't know if you're one. I've always known you as pretty on top of sales talk (hence the avatar and tag), but it's never been clear to me if you were just an enthusiast or had insider knowledge.

... Or maybe you have access to the rest of the article (unlike me) and the rest of it actually specifies the exact duration? At any rate, definitely disregard my previous post if it is indeed 3 days. The beginning of the article on its own doesn't make it clear.
I don't have to be an insider for this. It's basic knowledge for anyone who follows sales. Tracking week starts at Monday and ends at Sunday

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Absolutely insane. Still predict 14m by the end of FY and 21m LTD. More important than that, as others have mentioned, Ultimate will generate so much money to Nintendo through DLC, Controllers, Online Subscription, Amiibo, GC Adapters, Ethernet Adapters. Certainly in line with Furukawa's strategy.

The Q3 Earnings on the end of January will be fun.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

He is a Japanese sales insider and I imagine a native Japanese speaker too.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Literally, me, right now. There's a block button? What is it?
ZL/ZR

The shield deteriorates overtime and from taking damage. Breaking it puts you in a vulerable state.

You'll perform a roll if you move the stick with it activated. Depending on how quickly you do it, you can roll without putting up the shield.

You'll perform a quick dodge on the spot if you pull the stick downward while it's activated.

You'll perform a parry if you release the shield button as an attack lands, giving you a guaranteed window for a counterattack. Really hard to time correctly.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This is what gets me. The future monetezation potential, both direct and indirect, is insane. Even just a few percent of Smash players buying a game or two they wouldn't have before because of something they saw or liked in Smash translates to hundreds of thousands if not millions of games.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
As a moderate fan of the series since Melee, I'm happy at the numbers, but I still don't know how this series started doing these numbers.

Smash has nothing of the usual Nintendo casual-friendly game that sells in the millions. It's way too huge, too messy, too confusing in so many ways to cater to the Mario Kart/Party/Tennis or Wii Sports audience. And for it to outsell other fighting game franchises that have been around for years longer, are much more realistic in their presentation, and are available on multiple consoles and on PC, is just something I can't wrap my head around.
I don't understand it either. I find the game so messy and confusing, prefer fighters like Street Fighter and MK instead.

But...congrats to Nintendo. Massive hit, well deserved.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I don't understand it either. I find the game so messy and confusing, prefer fighters like Street Fighter and MK instead.

Well, if the game is too messy for you, you can always limit to 1v1 battles with no items and only Ω or Battlefield-Stages, suddenly, there is no more mess.

And you can even have a streetfighter experience by lowering the fly multiplier to 0.5 and set it to HP-Battle.

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks to items, both MK and Smash are more beginner friendly.
SF and MK require weird button inputs which make them not so beginner friendly.
This mixed with up to 8 player multiplayer, a lot of people have played smash. The brand recongnition of a lot of the biggest franchises in the industry in one game helps too.

Cyple

Jan 9, 2018
But guys if the Wii U version sold 5.35 then its just those kids buying the expanded port of the game right? Switch is DOA

/s

Great news! Game is amazing!

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's not necessarily a positive of course. I'd just expect cool, brawny martial artists and big-chested female fighters (I'm making generalizations here) in kinda realistic-looking arenas to have a much bigger appeal than... Kirby? And I say this as a Kirby main, LOL.

I dunno, having lived through the "Nintendo is kiddy" era, maybe I still have to adapt to Nintendo's newfound success among the big crowd.

My point is, casual Smash is hella fun, but it's not exactly a game I'd pull out for a video game evening with non-gaming people. I'm genuinely surprised to see it sell like it's Plan B for a night when nobody feels like playing Mario Kart.

Smash is great fun with casual gamers.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The smash doubters were even crazier than the Lets Go crowd, it was always going to do these numbers. Next year the Animal crossing ones are gonna look even sillier, for Smash to be doing these numbers I can only imagine what thats going to hit.

Deleted member 4518

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't really think it's too confusing for casual players. The controls are pretty simple to understand, there's only two attack buttons and directional inputs for those attacks which aren't hard to pull off.

It's easier for people to play something like Smash than Street Fighter and still have fun if you're not super good, especially 4 players with items on. If you play something like Street Fighter and get completely dominated because you're not as good as the player you're facing, it's easier to get turned off by it.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Ha the good old argument of the ceiling of the Nintendo fans number...
It's ridiculous because the Wii U already set the floor for "Nintendo fans," and Mario, Mario Kart and Smash still managed to do gangbusters on that system. Which only sold a bit over 13 million units.

Switch has probably already doubled that (just checking Wikipedia which has it at 22m, but as of September) but yeah, none of those new Switch owners were going to buy any of Nintendo's games. Even though we've already seen Breath of the Wild, Odyssey and Splatoon 2 sell the highest in their respective series.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The whole point of the game for probably like 90 percent of people that play it is that it is messy, confusing, chaotic fun. I hate fighting games (too complicated, boring 1v1 gameplay) but I enjoy smash. I haven't bought ultimate but I've played it with friends and it's fun and even though I'm trash I can win sometimes and the chaos creates a good party atmosphere. If I play street fighter or mortal kombat I'll lose everytime, and yea I can see what's happening more clearly but that doesn't make it more enjoyable. It's the same reason power stone is fun.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Congratulations!
As a person that played on Nintendo console 20 years a go and doesn't like fighting games this success is beyond comprehension.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Smash is literally Nintendo's most important franchise. It single handily promotes and saves niche and lame Non-Mainstream franchises like Bayonetta, Metroid, Star Fox, etc.

It literally brought Fire a Emblem from being irrelevant and a nerd weeb game to bringing more money in than Zelda.

Only reason people even know what Earthbound, Ice Climbers, and F-Zero are is because of Smash.

Half the franchises in Smash would be dead if not for Smash.

EDIT - Obviously not including Pokémon and Mario, which are a Tier above everything else.

S Tier - Pokemon, Mario
A Tier - Smash
B Tier - Fire Emblem, Zelda
C Tier - Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Animal Crossing

Everything else feeds off Smash for marketing and to live.

Last edited:

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to personally thank all you thirsty Castlevania and Metal Gear fans.

lol jk it was piranha plant because preorder bonus

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Smash is literally Nintendo's most important franchise. It single handily promotes and saves niche and lame Non-Mainstream franchises like Bayonetta, Metroid, Star Fox, etc.

It literally brought Fire a Emblem from being irrelevant and a nerd weeb game to bringing more money in than Zelda.

Only reason people even know what Earthbound, Ice Climbers, and F-Zero are is because of Smash.

What is this copy pasta from?

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

EDIT - Obviously not including Pokémon and Mario, which are a Tier above everything else.

S Tier - Pokemon, Mario
A Tier - Smash
B Tier - Fire Emblem, Zelda
C Tier - Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Animal Crossing

Everything else feeds off Smash for marketing and to live.

Animal Crossing C tier.
Fire Emblem B tier

Even using Galaxy Brain cant help me to understand ur logic lol.