• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You guys say that but...

animal-crossing-50m.jpg

And

DWb_4mUV4AAvbNg.jpg

Just saying the Franchise hasn't had a massive success since 2012...

Yeah. Fire Emblem is more important to Nintendo. Don't mind you, Nintendo had to lump the announcement of Animal Crossing 2019 WITH Smash just to make sure people pay attention.

The leaps in logic and hoops you're willing to go through just so you can plausibly deny you didn't know about Animal Crossing sales is the most entertaining thing I've read today. Please by all means continue *grabs popcorn*.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Unironically fully expect Ultimate to outsell the 3DS version by the end of the year. Potentially even creep up to Brawl's level. I don't think anything stops this train.

That's not their logic because Mario prints money everywhere else. And Mario Run still managed to do quite well.

Not sure why people don't understand their point; Fire Emblem is a tremendous franchise now because of Smash. Though Animal Crossing should be considered a bit higher, the only AC games that outsold/outearned more than a Zelda game on their platform were Wild World on DS, and New Leaf on 3DS. City Folk was outsold by Skyward Sword, Animal Crossing on GameCube was outsold by Wind Waker, and even Happy Home Designer was outsold by A Link Between Worlds and OoT remake (I can only find sales data from May of 2014 for ALBW which shows 2.51m but it's definitely more than that at this point. I remember seeing 4.01m somewhere).

People can't understand his point because he doesn't have one that makes sense. Spin off Animal Crossing games sell more than mainline Fire Emblem games - just because Fire Emblem on mobile is doing incredible doesn't suddenly mean its going to do 10 million on console (which a mainline Animal Crossing game will do easily). Also he's making stuff up - saying Animal Crossing doesn't sell merch - I guarantee you it shifts a metric tone more merch than Fire Emblem does

If he wants to make a point people will take seriously he needs to stop spouting complete nonsense

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine the timeline where Switch launched with Fire Emblem instead of Breath of the Wild? Because that is not a pretty timeline.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine a timeline where a spin-off Animal Crossing game outsells mainline Fire Emblem game? Oh wait...

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Not sure why people don't understand their point; Fire Emblem is a tremendous franchise now because of Smash. Though Animal Crossing should be considered a bit higher, the only AC games that outsold/outearned more than a Zelda game on their platform were Wild World on DS, and New Leaf on 3DS. City Folk was outsold by Skyward Sword, Animal Crossing on GameCube was outsold by Wind Waker, and even Happy Home Designer was outsold by A Link Between Worlds and OoT remake (I can only find sales data from May of 2014 for ALBW which shows 2.51m but it's definitely more than that at this point. I remember seeing 4.01m somewhere).

These comparisons don't make sense at all.

On GC, the franchise was still in its infancy and its Western release was a bet. Zelda was already a proven franchise. Also, Animal Crossing is new to spin-offs and can be declined less easily to such projects, unlike Zelda. Animal Crossing is a social life-sim which exploits the fact that can be played each day for long periods of time.

Also, Animal Crossing: City Folk sold more than Skyward Sword.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I told ya'll bringing back Pichu would result in amazing sales and nobody believed me. Who is laughing now?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
SpeedyBlueDude cant speak about other countries, but AC has two entries in the top 10 best selling games of all time in Japan. It enjoys the company of Pokémon and Mario, which are the only other two franchises there.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
What a weird debate this thread has devolved into. Both Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are very successful right now and making plenty of money. They boost mindshare to different auciences and neither one should be considered C-tier at this point in time. Smash is great as a promotional tool for other franchises, but it's not some end-all lifesaver. Smash helped FE get out of Japan, but Awakening is what truly rescued the IP.

There, argument over, that was easy.

5 million in three days is a bit mind-boggling. Considering we're going to get a year of updates, this thing is going to be an absolute monster.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Smash is literally Nintendo's most important franchise. It single handily promotes and saves niche and lame Non-Mainstream franchises like Bayonetta, Metroid, Star Fox, etc.

It literally brought Fire a Emblem from being irrelevant and a nerd weeb game to bringing more money in than Zelda.

Only reason people even know what Earthbound, Ice Climbers, and F-Zero are is because of Smash.

Half the franchises in Smash would be dead if not for Smash.

EDIT - Obviously not including Pokémon and Mario, which are a Tier above everything else.

S Tier - Pokemon, Mario
A Tier - Smash
B Tier - Fire Emblem, Zelda
C Tier - Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Animal Crossing

Everything else feeds off Smash for marketing and to live.
Rather than address the obvious elephant in the room like the others, let me ask you this......where's Splatoon?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Rather than address the obvious elephant in the room like the others, let me ask you this......where's Splatoon?

If they consider AC to be C-Tier, it'll be probably F-Tier or something because it doesn't have a mobile game, lol.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda games sell infinitely more, but they literally take 5+ years to make. In the mean time we get basically a new Fire Emblem game every year, and with the different versions for sale, and with Heroes, I'd say Fire Emblem makes more than Zelda does.
Oh boy. One at a time, I guess:
but they literally take 5+ years to make. In the mean time we get basically a new Fire Emblem game every year,
Since 2011, we've gotten:
-OoT 3D
-Skyward Sword
-TWW HD
-ALBW
-MM 3D
-Tri Force Heroes
-TP HD
-BotW

That's 8 games over the last 8 years. FE has:
-Awakening
-Fates
-Echoes
-Heroes

Now, granted, that's in one less year because there was no release in 2011. But even counting Fates as 3 would put you at less games. And if you want to say remakes shouldn't count, your argument is on money brought in, and Fates didn't even reach MM 3D based on the most recent numbers we have if I'm reading correctly.
and with the different versions for sale,
One game is not a trend. It doesn't seem to be continuing with Three Houses, either.
and with Heroes, I'd say Fire Emblem makes more than Zelda does.
BotW alone without DLC has made more than Heroes, though it may get surpassed eventually... but by then the next big Zelda should be out. The other games in that time span more than cover the test.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
So we have people in here claiming that Smash is more complicated/confusing than Street Fighter, and that Fire Emblem is more important to Nintendo than Animal Crossing and on the level of Zelda...using a WiiU spinoff and a portable spin-off as evidence...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be shocked if Animal Crossing has half as great an opening.....but I'll be equally shocked if Animal Crossing doesn't have longer legs. The post launch support they gave New Leaf was crazy. I expect they'll be doing all that and more with their next game and keep it relevant for years.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here are Fire Emblem series total sale from Mars 2017 http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem Ca 10 millions
VS
Here are Animal Crossing series total sale from Mars 2017 http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Animal_Crossing Ca 33 millions

https://www.resetera.com/goto/post?id=16142034

Dont use vg chart please. They have been proven again and again that their number is wrong.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/

Use this thread for all Nintendo sales.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
"Only" eight hours a day?

That's a full time job. I'm unemployed and even I don't have 8 hours a day to throw at Smash. That's a wild amount of time.

Again, you are projecting. Your life isn't the judge against what all gameplay hours should be judged against. This might be one of the most hyped releases by Nintendo since SM64 and OoT. People enjoy things and make time for them if they can. People literally took off work for this game.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So we have people in here claiming that Smash more complicated/confusing than Street Fighter, and that Fire Emblem is more important to Nintendo than Animal Crossing and on the level of Zelda...using a WiiU spinoff and a portable spin-off as evidence...

giphy.gif

Whats next lol? SFVI will sell more than MK11? ^_^

Christo750

May 10, 2018
People can't understand his point because he doesn't have one that makes sense. Spin off Animal Crossing games sell more than mainline Fire Emblem games - just because Fire Emblem on mobile is doing incredible doesn't suddenly mean its going to do 10 million on console (which a mainline Animal Crossing game will do easily). Also he's making stuff up - saying Animal Crossing doesn't sell merch - I guarantee you it shifts a metric tone more merch than Fire Emblem does

If he wants to make a point people will take seriously he needs to stop spouting complete nonsense
I guess I didn't read where he said that Animal Crossing doesn't sell merch which is 100% bullshit, and I agree that he's not giving Animal Crossing enough credit, but I was focused more on his claim that Fire Emblem 100% skyrocketed to a near top-tier franchise now and that is because of Smash Bros.

I'm sure Nintendo views Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing as equally important franchises in their own right.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Only" eight hours a day?

That's a full time job. I'm unemployed and even I don't have 8 hours a day to throw at Smash. That's a wild amount of time.
i don't think I put in quite that much time, but I put in a ton of hours to smash last week in large part because I was off work for unrelated reasons (i'm A graduate student and my research had to be put on hold due to equipment issues)

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
Insane sales. Does this mean that Smash has a chance at making the Top 10 list of bestselling games of 2018 when the year is over? That would be a huge achievement considering it's an exclusive on an install base of around 30 million and didn't release until December.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Curious to see how Fire Emblem will tap into the mobile crowd. Wonder if they will have an easy mode where perma-deaths are gone.

They already have Phoenix mode in Fates lol.

I guess I didn't read where he said that Animal Crossing doesn't sell merch which is 100% bullshit, and I agree that he's not giving Animal Crossing enough credit, but I was focused more on his claim that Fire Emblem 100% skyrocketed to a near top-tier franchise now and that is because of Smash Bros.

I'm sure Nintendo views Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing as equally important franchises in their own right.

I am sure that Smash is not what that save FE lol. Smash maybe put the series into Nintendo fans concious sure but it is true their own effort by IS with Awakening that they are this big now. To said that it is all smash feels like crazy talk considering how much effort IS put into Awakening there.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not really sure what to make of that claim. Melee absolutely helped the series out by bringing it to the West, but it was 12 years removed from then and 6 Western releases of FE later when Awakening finally launched the series into mainstream relevancy - saving it from the brink of death, at that. It probably doesn't hit this level of success without Melee (though it's impossible to say nothing else couldn't have caused them to start localising FE within those 12 years), but Melee is still not what made it as big as it is.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys say that but...

animal-crossing-50m.jpg

And

DWb_4mUV4AAvbNg.jpg

Just saying the Franchise hasn't had a massive success since 2012...

Yeah. Fire Emblem is more important to Nintendo. Don't mind you, Nintendo had to lump the announcement of Animal Crossing 2019 WITH Smash just to make sure people pay attention.
you're not as clever as you think you are

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Might hit 15 by the end of the fiscal year. It'll be hitting COD #s before it's all said and done... and this is a fucking exclusive!

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess people are really out of the loop for a smash bros game like this. Fantastic sales but not too surprising really.

Nintendo is probably saving the flex for the Jan earnings report for Q3.