• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see them making a 2D Zelda unless its a multiplayer Zelda or another possibility is that they will move an unannounced 3DS remake to Switch. I don't see a brand new 2D Zelda happening otherwise. a 2D multiplayer Zelda would be Wonderfull though. Hopefully something that can be played on 1 Switch.

Now as for the both sequel, 2020 holiday would put it at a 4 year dev cycle because they finished botw early 2017 (or end 2016). That's more than enough time to make a good sequel with enough original ideas and content.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Long post from me so apologies lol

Zelda is one of my favorite series but a 2D zelda couldn't be anymore less interesting. Unless it's the BotW Zelda 1 tech demo of course lol. Why do we need another 2D Zelda game? I really hate the "1 Zelda game per year" mentality. Because any originality and ambition will be sucked dry and we'll get more "eh, it's more Zelda" games like ALBW and Triforce Heroes. Oversaturation to the highest degree for me.

There's no "this is why you NEED to play this game. This is why it's the next BIG thing" like with BotW. It just comes off as filler, like a factory because "of course the team that always makes 2D Zelda would make another 2D Zelda". It doesn't need to be that way. With the combined library of the handheld and console systems, we don't need to repeat the same IP twice in a system. It's just milking the IP.
Again, I love this franchise, but after playing Zelda 1, 2, LttP (and LttP GBA w/4 Swords), Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, PHG, and seeing the series continue with ALBW, TFH, etc. you see the limitations they set themselves with in 2D. The well of ideas eventually runs short and a lot becomes very familiar and repeated. And worse is that it doesn't have the sense of scale, environments, world, and budget to make up for it like the 3D Zelda games do. The 2D games are just limited in scope.

If the game is wholly original and blows me away by telling me "yes that's why this game needs to exist", then I'll concede lol

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do we need another 2D Zelda game?

Because they're amazing ? A Link Between World and Link's Awakening are better than most 3D Zelda games.
Scope isn't all there is in a game. Not all games should be full 3D open-world, you can offer a totally different but as valuable experience with a 2D game.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

Zelda is one of my favorite series but a 2D zelda couldn't be anymore less interesting. Unless it's the BotW Zelda 1 tech demo of course lol. Why do we need another 2D Zelda game? I really hate the "1 Zelda game per year" mentality. Because any originality and ambition will be sucked dry and we'll get more "eh, it's more Zelda" games like ALBW and Triforce Heroes. Oversaturation to the highest degree for me.

There's no "this is why you NEED to play this game. This is why it's the next BIG thing" like with BotW. It just comes off as filler, like a factory because "of course the team that always makes 2D Zelda would make another 2D Zelda". It doesn't need to be that way. With the combined library of the handheld and console systems, we don't need to repeat the same IP twice in a system. It's just milking the IP.
Again, I love this franchise, but after playing Zelda 1, 2, LttP (and LttP GBA w/4 Swords), Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, PHG, and seeing the series continue with ALBW, TFH, etc. you see the limitations they set themselves with in 2D. The well of ideas eventually runs short and a lot becomes very familiar and repeated. And worse is that it doesn't have the sense of scale, environments, world, and budget to make up for it like the 3D Zelda games do. The 2D games are just limited in scope.

If the game is wholly original and blows me away by telling me "yes that's why this game needs to exist", then I'll concede lol

agree. 100%

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
God so much

Nah man, I think LBW was amazing. A lot of people are hoping for an expanded take on that. The co-op 2D Zeldas are kind of a different thing, though I did love Four Swords on GC.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

to me they're two completely different things. and i actually think 2D zelda is a more unique thing because there aren't many other games that copy that formula and give a similar experience to the player. 3D zelda, to some degree, is copied in like 70% of 3rd person games out there, and now with the open-world thing it's even more similar to other games (i mean of course not many are able to do it as well as nintendo). good 2D zelda-likes are really hard to come by.

Jan 11, 2018

As a huge Zelda fan who didnt like BotW, the thought of a new 2d Zelda gets me much more excited than BotW 2.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope it won't be a multiplayer Zelda again. I would be also fine with ALBWs hardstyle in HD but I would love a more darker one. Maybe something like this...

15465338427897661377321237172732.jpg

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

The first hd 2d zelda will be lit

Im sure of it

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

What I want is a new 2D Zelda like The Adventure of Link.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A Majora's Mask styled sequel to BOTW (smaller scale, greater story/sidequest focus) would be the fucking jam

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Pretty sure that trilogy is Zelda SS, WW and TP HD, with a 2D game releasing later on. I doubt they will announce MPT without unveiling Metroid Prime 4 and I just dont think this is the Direct where we will see MP4.

ARMS was given a release date less than two months before release, so while unlikely it is possible we get a release date for an already announced game.
Even a big game like BOTW got its release date announced around 40 days before

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
The localization probably happened concurrently with development, because Fire Emblem has been narrowing the JP/international release gap since it gained popularity. It would surprise me if Three Houses wasn't a worldwide release, or close to it, since Echoes only had a month gap while being fully voice-acted.

As for where it was in development... I wouldn't say "early," but probably not quite in polishing. Mid-to-late. If you go back and look, the maps looked far too plain (almost resembling the PoR/RD maps, which looked bad even then), and there wasn't even an indicator of Weapon Triangle in the UI, despite the game having Swords/Axes/Lances and the accuracies implying WTA in effect. Some of the models — especially Claude's — also looked pretty unpolished.

That said, it was originally slated for 2018, so the additional time in the oven will be icing. Fire Emblem's visuals always improve from its first entry on a given platform (just compare Awakening and Echoes), and Three Houses mostly looks good already, so it's a nice time to be a Fire Emblem fan.

Thanks for the additional information!

Yes, I was thinking about the improvements we see between games as well. I see Three Houses as only the starting point, so I'm optimistic about the future!

I'm excited to see what the game looks like next time we see it.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I just hope it won't be a multiplayer Zelda again. I would be also fine with ALBWs hardstyle in HD but I would love a more darker one. Maybe something like this...

15465338427897661377321237172732.jpg

This is an amazing artwork. I believe will be sharp crisp 1080p ALBW artstyle <3

EDIT, what just me liked the art? The bloom is bad on the edges alright, but its just a painting.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
That's a really good point that entirely slipped my mind. The "out of time" argument definitely doesn't fly if debatably the console's biggest game was announced so close to launch.

I think that was a special case though. The game had been featured for literally years and was part of the launch. Look at every other first party game..about 2 months is the minimum.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I felt great when the new CEO of Nintendo told if he needs, he will argue with Miyamoto. Sometimes I think the lack of narrative in BOTW is his demand. Even if I liked it, more would be better.

I'm not sure that Zelda games can have it both ways. If you add too much story, then it becomes more and more difficult to have that incredible open sandbox that BotW executed so well. I think if there are any future Zeldas that are built around a strong narrative, like they all were prior to BotW, they should focus on story in any future 2D games, and continue pushing the "open-air" sandbox in future console installments.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think that was a special case though. The game had been featured for literally years and was part of the launch. Look at every other first party game..about 2 months is the minimum.
Zelda is still a contradiction to that argument. If the February game were Yoshi that's been shown for nearly two years so it's not too different in that regard. My point is that I don't see the need to make blind assumptions of established rules, especially when they've been broken already. Or even if you went by such rules, 6 or 7 weeks isn't too far from what we've seen before anyway.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not sure that Zelda games can have it both ways. If you add too much story, then it becomes more and more difficult to have that incredible open sandbox that BotW executed so well. I think if there are any future Zeldas that are built around a strong narrative, like they all were prior to BotW, they should focus on story in any future 2D games, and continue pushing the "open-air" sandbox in future console installments.
You could apply the open air concept to the story which is something i have put thought into be really complex and maybe I'll make a post into how i think it would work later

Spiolers it will be a wall of text

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Haha if the Kings hints escaped this thread there would be havoc. Maybe the BoTW sequel hint and the 2d hint are one in the same and we get the fully expanded 2D version of the demo they used to test out their ideas for BoTW (the one they showed off during a developer conference). Would be quick to develop and who doesn't want a 2d open world physics driven zelda?

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
ALBW was the best Zelda game in over a decade. Can't believe people in here are talking it down.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Zelda is still a contradiction to that argument. If the February game were Yoshi that's been shown for nearly two years so it's not too different in that regard. My point is that I don't see the need to make blind assumptions of established rules, especially when they've been broken already. Or even if you went by such rules, 6 or 7 weeks isn't too far from what we've seen before anyway.

Part of the BotW release date buzz being so close to launch was that Nintendo teased people right up until the last minute. They never said before January 2017 that Zelda was even a launch window title, let alone a launch day title. At the time, Eurogamer even reported that Zelda might be delayed yet again because NoE was struggling to finish the localization for all the PAL territories. And Nintendo likely also felt bad that BotW had been delayed for two years past the promised launch year, so they teased people on purpose and tried to fake everyone out, and then close their Switch unveil by saying "Yup j/k, not only is Zelda here at the show, it's a launch day game".

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Many of you are too quick to jump on that "if you liked botw" thing to automatically mean this is about a BotW-follow-up.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
2020 going for 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, Metroid Prime 4 to combat the next generation consoles coming out. Add in an RPG by either Intelligent Systems or Monolith and they have their "hardcore" games set.
Personally, I'd be surprised if they launched 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, MP4 and a new Monolith RPG all in the same year. I expected 3D Zelda and the Monolith RPG to slip into 2021. However, it doesnt look like 3D Zelda will. I think EAD Tokyo's next project will be ready to go in 2020. While the safest and most likely bet is Odyssey 2. I wouldnt mind if it was a followup to 3DW or a 3D DK platformer.

I also expect some titles like Mario Maker to make their debut in 2020. I'm not gonna hold my breath but I was hoping Pikmin 4 might be out by 2020.
With Splatoon 3 and probably Mario Kart 9, all before 2021 with a Switch pro; as I said last April after reading my coffee grounds (my guess was that everything would release in 2020). Watch this scenario unfold in the following month.
Well the Splatoon team is probably all working away on Animal Crossing. After that, I see the team working on either a Splatoon spin-off, Animal Crossing spin-off or a followup to Nintendoland. Given their track record of releasing games every two years. They could likely have it ready by 2021. I'd say it's incredibly unlikely that the Switch will receive Splatoon 3.

Likewise, the Mario Kart team will likely have something ready by 2020. I dont see Mario Kart 9 happening at all. It'd be cool if they released some DLC packs for MK8D. I'd pay good money for some new characters, cups, battle stages and/or modes themed around Odyssey, new Mario titles, Mario universe characters(more characters from DKC, Yoshi's Island, Wario Ware and Mario RPGs) and Nintendo characters(Kirby, ARMS, Samus, Captain Falcon, or Star Fox). Curious what the team will be working on. I remember Nintendo name dropping Wave Race a lot around the time ARMS DLC was wrapping up.

I don't think February will be empty, but I also don't think it's going to be anything that'll hype people in this thread.

I'm gonna go with the rumored final Labo pack.

other classically handheld series i want on switch:

golden sun
mario+luigi
a nintendo made tetris game :)
style savvy
picross 3D (it probably won't work)
new 2D metroid
elite beat agents
fucking starfy
wario land
There are rumblings that Sakamoto and Mercury Steam began work on a new 2D Metroid for Switch after Samus Returns released in 2017. I think that could be a likely 2020 release.

I'd love to see Wario Land make a comeback and I think Nintendo wants to bring it back. I think our best bet is that Good Feel will be working on it after Yoshi releases and it will release in 2021/2022.

I think the Mario & Luigi series needs to retire. I really enjoy Alpha Dreams but they need to move on. A Wario & Waluigi spin-off title would be pretty cool.

I think our best bet for another EBA/Ouendan style game is if they translated it into a Splatoon spin-off. That's just my thoughts anyway.

Finally I think we will start to see titles releasing from the teams responsible for Rhythm Heaven, Tomodachi Collection, Style Savvy, Art Academy, Wario Ware, etc. in 2020. As these teams were still releasing games for 3DS in 2017/2018.

If I were a betting man, Camelot is probably planning on a Mario Golf title for 2020/2021. If we are lucky we may get a 2022/2023, Golden Sun game but I would hold your breath.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many of you are too quick to jump on that "if you liked botw" thing to automatically mean this is about a BotW-follow-up.
what are we supposed to assume then? a BotW-esque game? but of what? it's too broad and then you'll get everything from Metroid, to Zelda, to a reboot of Mach Rider

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the BotW release date buzz being so close to launch was that Nintendo teased people right up until the last minute. They never said before January 2017 that Zelda was even a launch window title, let alone a launch day title. At the time, Eurogamer even reported that Zelda might be delayed yet again because NoE was struggling to finish the localization for all the PAL territories. And Nintendo likely also felt bad that BotW had been delayed for two years past the promised launch year, so they teased people on purpose and tried to fake everyone out, and then close their Switch unveil by saying "Yup j/k, not only is Zelda here at the show, it's a launch day game".

Yep but from recent memory, it was one of the very few Nintendo games that has been patched several times to improve performance in its first 2 months.

I am not surprised if the development team wanted to delay it just a little bit but the management chose (logically) to release it with the Switch in March.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
They are great. I hope that both their new project and Wargroove will be featured in the next Direct !
They are amazing team. I loved heist. I really wish that they keep with the Steamworld universe and create more amazing things there.
I would love Heist sequel, but I'll take anything good from them.

Oh and Wargroove. That new trailer was sweet as heck.

Or probably the February/March Nindies Showcase

They revealed Steamworld Dig 2 in the Feb 2017 showcase and revealed the release date along with a new trailer in the Sep 2017 showcase
The sooner than you think ending makes me thing it's not Feb or March.

Status
Not open for further replies.