Status
Not open for further replies.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Many of you are too quick to jump on that "if you liked botw" thing to automatically mean this is about a BotW-follow-up.
vss09wsjwui01.jpg

Only thing I could think of if it wasn't

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I think it may be a Majora's Mask type of game - it doesn't have to be a direct sequel to BotW, though. It may be its own story, specially since Nintendo's back to not giving a damn about the "timeline".

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I am so excited for a new 2(.5)D Zelda game , way more than another 3D one.
I loved the dungeons in ALBW.

Oh, and I hope we see a return of toon Link, he is my favorite.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He obviously talked about the next Pokémon game when he mentioned BotW.

Don't assume he actually meant something connected to Zelda or BotW when he said BotW guys.

/s

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
to me they're two completely different things. and i actually think 2D zelda is a more unique thing because there aren't many other games that copy that formula and give a similar experience to the player. 3D zelda, to some degree, is copied in like 70% of 3rd person games out there, and now with the open-world thing it's even more similar to other games (i mean of course not many are able to do it as well as nintendo). good 2D zelda-likes are really hard to come by.

because they sell much less

people want stunning and emotional 3D environments, not isometric low budget things

and me too

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
i like the pixelated look too, but i don't think nintendo would ever go for the faux-pixel art look

No, not at all, I hope we see a Indie game heavily inspired by this artwork, tho.
I guess It will be a updated ALBW engine, probably. The great thing is, ALBW is 60fps. The team likes the fluidity. It can easily be 1080/60fps on Switch.

Yeah, i'm hyped with the possibilities.

people want stunning and emotional 3D environments, not isometric low budget things

ALBW sold as well as Skyward Sword.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
to me they're two completely different things. and i actually think 2D zelda is a more unique thing because there aren't many other games that copy that formula and give a similar experience to the player. 3D zelda, to some degree, is copied in like 70% of 3rd person games out there, and now with the open-world thing it's even more similar to other games (i mean of course not many are able to do it as well as nintendo). good 2D zelda-likes are really hard to come by.

That and I think it just isn't that much in demand anymore. Maybe in like 5-10 years we'd see an uptick if Nintendo stopped doing 2D Zelda, but right now it's not something people have been itching for because these games keep being made. It's not THAT special anymore. Nowadays 2D Zelda just feels like a low budget 3D Zelda. Gaming has evolved since the SNES, Game Boy, and GBA. So expectations and demand changes

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
ALBW was ugly when it came out. Hopefully whatever they do for the next top down Zelda, if there is one, looks nothing like it.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure that tease was for MPT and a "2D" Metroid. Makes the most sense, both have been rumored, and would compliment Prime 4 very well.

ALBW sold as well as Skyward Sword.
I'm not sure that proves your point consider SS was a disastrous release that prompted the complete revamp of the series with BotW. Beyond that ALBW sold significantly less than OoT3D, and only slightly more than MM3D. That's not a great result for a new entry in the franchise even if the numbers look good in a vacuum.

Last edited:

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I'm not sure that proves your point consider SS was a disastrous release that prompted the complete revamp of the series with BotW. Beyond that ALBW sold significantly less than OoT3D, and only slightly more than MM3D. That's not a great result for a new entry in the franchise even if the numbers look good in a vacuum.

SS was a major game in the 25th anniversary of the franchise. It sold alright, but people here (myself included) are dying for a Switch port, yet it sold little more than ALBW, which is a unique, handholding free game and the order of dungeons is up to the player that inspired the concept of BOTW, people downplay a new top down Zelda by the same team. Why?
Also, Majora's Mask is considered for many to be the best Zelda game ever, and ALBW sold more than the port on the same plataform.

ALBW is praised by most as the best Top down Zelda game, in the same hall as ALTTP and Link's Awakening.

And above all, is really important that we have the alternate games in the series, if we only get one type (2d or 3d) for many years, it will become the next Assassin's Creed. Each team has new cool ideas that the other team can implement, resulting in very good games for both audiences. And the development of one does not impact budget and resources of the other. The next Topdown will not get in the way of the next 3D Zelda.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
what are we supposed to assume then? a BotW-esque game? but of what? it's too broad and then you'll get everything from Metroid, to Zelda, to a reboot of Mach Rider
Could easily also be referring to what kind of thing MP4 is shooting for. A BotW-esque re-imagining of the (sub-)series. Possibly referring to the openness, the interconnected systems, or whatever. The hints are already super broad, that's why I caution against immediately jumping to the obvious first choice and expecting it to mean that.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
Could easily also be referring to what kind of thing MP4 is shooting for. A BotW-esque re-imagining of the (sub-)series. Possibly referring to the openness, the interconnected systems, or whatever. The hints are already super broad, that's why I caution against immediately jumping to the obvious first choice and expecting it to mean that.

I hope Metroid Prime 4 takes the open air, atmosphere & danger of the BOTW environments and jams them down into a claustrophobic, suffocating planet interior. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me, but that's what I want.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm trying to decide whether to buy Splatoon. Is their still any hacker issues and if I don't get the expansion am I locked out of any multiplayer content besides the octoling characters?

Splatoon 2 is great game and one most have Switch games. Hole that hacker issues problems are overblown, I mean there are some problems but huge majority of Splatoon 2 players didnt had any game with any hacker (they so rear).

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Any news for Luigi's Mansion 3? Would also love to hear something about either more DLC for MarioKart 8 or a teaser for MK9.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Splatoon 2 is great game and one most have Switch games. Hole that hacker issues problems are overblown, I mean there are some problems but huge majority of Splatoon 2 players didnt had any game with any hacker (they so rear).

Lag issues and controller latency are much bigger issues than cheaters. I have nearly 800h hours and encountered a cheater just once; and that was months ago.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Lag issues and controller latency are much bigger issues than cheaters. I have nearly 800h hours and encountered a cheater just once; and that was months ago.

Yeah, exactly my point, hole cheaters problem is overblown, people not familar with this just from threads headlines think that Splatoon 2 is full of cheaters and that game is unplayable because of that.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Talking about this hints, Metroid Prime Trilogy HD makes most sense, and plenty of people already said that game is definitely coming to Switch,
but I wouldnt have anuthing against if somehow this ending being Pikmin Trilogy. :)
2D Zelda makes most sense for 2D game, we also had some hints before and totally makes sense releasing 2D Zelda this year.
New 3D Zelda for 2020. also makes sense, it would be 3-4 years after BotW and Nintendo probably reusing plenty of BotW assets and models for new Zelda.

Existing times, cant wait for Direct. :)

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like some stuff happened since yesterday.

The "2D is automatically worse than 3D" thing in regards to Zelda is pretty funny as ALBW is more highly regarded than the three 3D games that immediately preceded it.

We already know that open world Zelda isn't going anywhere. A new 2D game could also follow the traditional Zelda formula (with some twists obviously) to satisfy people who aren't fans of open world games. I don't think we need a case of the next 10 Zelda games being open world . That type of burnout is what lead Aonuma to shake up the series in the first place.

Anyway, I wonder if Ryo Nagamatsu would return. He did a good job with the ALBW soundtrack, but he's been working on Splatoon 2 for the last two years and updates only stopped last month.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Fully preparing myself for the 2D Zelda to be heavily multiplayer focused like TFH instead of ALBW.

Like, it's on the Switch. Of course it'll be

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Triforce Heroes bombed. There is no way they go pure multiplayer again so soon.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I hope Metroid Prime 4 takes the open air, atmosphere & danger of the BOTW environments and jams them down into a claustrophobic, suffocating planet interior. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me, but that's what I want.

What I would like to see drive Metroid Prime 4's overworld design is the idea that you have certain "high points" where you get a good vantage on the areas you can travel, but to actually reach those places you have to dive into the claustrophobic corridored underbelly.

For instance, you might end up on a landing pad where you can see the area you want to get to, along with other landmarks you're eyeing to reach, but in order to reach those points you have to go down and through/along the planet's surface.

Oct 26, 2017
What I would like to see drive Metroid Prime 4's overworld design is the idea that you have certain "high points" where you get a good vantage on the areas you can travel, but to actually reach those places you have to dive into the claustrophobic corridored underbelly.

For instance, you might end up on a landing pad where you can see the area you want to get to, along with other landmarks you're eyeing to reach, but in order to reach those points you have to go down and through/along the planet's surface.

Sounds a lot like the world design in Dark Souls/Bloodborne. Would be more than fine with me.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The negative 2D Zelda talk would make me said if I didn't know that Nintendo doesn't give a shit about what lames with bad taste think about their games.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy that we might be getting 2D Zeldas and Metroids during the Switch's lifecycle. 2D and 3D additions to these series (including the Mario series) make for a great combination.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Imho this 2D Zelda (assuming it's Zelda) will be singleplayer. It's the first HD game that team is working on and they've had enough time to make a proper game (TFH was made in 2 years), plus they still have time to make a multiplayer game for the Switch right after this one.

Even Sales-wise it makes more sense to make a Singleplayer game. I mean it could have some co-op component, but I expect the main story to be singleplayer.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Triforce Heroes bombed. There is no way they go pure multiplayer again so soon.
I feel it sold less because of the conditions surrounding it more than anything else. Not a ton of advertising, lackluster demo, and the game basically required multiplayer. The single player was near unplayable in some stages. Give us a more refined game where multiplayer is optional and put it on the Switch and it should definitely sell well.

And tbf, it underperformed comparatively, but still managed to break a million even with as many problems as it had.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird how people are thinking it's a Zelda 3D Trilogy...
as if nintendo would ever put three games in one package when they can sell each for 50 or 60 dollars. metroid is a different story cuz they already did a trilogy on wii and this will be a port of that, and a single metroid game won't sell as much as a single zelda game.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
as if nintendo would ever put three games in one package when they can sell each for 50 or 60 dollars. metroid is a different story cuz they already did a trilogy on wii and this will be a port of that, and a single metroid game won't sell as much as a single zelda game.

Yeah but MP Trilogy wii was just the gamecube versions upscaled + mp3 right? If they would spend money and resources on a proper remaster, why sell 3 Metroids at $60?

I also believe that the Zelda ports will be stand alone, but not $60 each, only the inevitable SSHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.