• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick question, if people have moved to Discord instead, how does that work? I havnt really used Discord myself, but from the little that i know, its more like IRC/chat rooms rather than posts like a forum has. How does this work with weekly archives of sales discussions etc.? Or is the Discord server just a temporary thing until someone set up another forum somewhere?

I won't update the data in the OP anymore here.
It was made abundantly clear that this place [the staff or part of it] don't have regard for the efforts it takes to compile data nor understand that it's the aggregation of a small group of dedicated people that matter (after all it's a pretty niche subject!), not the platform which is just an empty host.

Good luck boys and girls.
Thanks for all of your work, and good luck further to you too! :)

- The OP was warned for "antagonizing" an user.
- A mod replied to him in bad faith and he eventually was banned for 1 day, and he alone.
- New guidelines were imposed which didn't address the issue at all
- Many regulars were banned for complaining.
- Discord screenshots showing that the mod was acting in bad faith and ridiculing OP/regulars surfaced
- Mods admitted that the user being "antagonized" was a troll and lift the ban, saying they couldn't identify the trolling in the dozens of time he was reported over the year.
- The "punishment" for the mod was that he will voluntarly refrain from interacting with sales thread.
- Edited on request: More discord screenshots surfaced of another mod saying to someone that they wouldn't be banned if they were on mods side (and when I was browsing I saw several offensive terms towards the community like "manchildren" going unpunished, though I didn't check later).

Oh and the OP of other sales thread was banned for saying something about a mod in Twitter.
Thanks for the summary! :) There are a few details there that i didnt know about.

By the way, about the last point on the list, just to add some more to that, the mod (or now former mod) who said that people wouldnt be banned if they were on the mods' side made a post about it on Resetera later on. She said that this was taken out out context and that it was only meant as a response to people who were afraid to get dogpiled by anyone if they went into the Media Create thread to show support for the mod's (or mods', if there were several of mods involved) decision, and that people wouldnt be banned if they they showed this type of support of the mods, as long as the didnt attack others who were against the mod's decision.

I am not exactly sure why someone would be banned for showing support for the mod's decision in the first place though, unless that it was referring to getting banned for some thread derailment in general (i saw that someone got banned with "thread derailment" earlier in the thread (i didnt read too much what the posts said though)). But it seems to me that the statement wasnt meant to give some people any special priveledges in terms of ban protection just if someone supported the mod's decision at least, which it might have looked like to begin with (then i am just generally speaking, i am not saying that you claim that it looked like this to begin with).

I didnt really follow most of the recent posts in the Media Create thread, so i cant say much outside of this unfortunately, i just happen to catch this post by reading some of the later comments, so i just wanted to mention it as additional info :) Here is the post made by the former mod: https://www.resetera.com/threads/me...6-sep-12-read-staff-post.487222/post-73872136

EDIT: And just generally speaking about the whole situation, i wish that things would have worked out better in the end for all parties, and that the disagreements could be resolved in a different way. I didnt participate much in the sales threads for the last year or so (i was much more active there before), but i always checked the sales numbers every week.

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick question, if people have moved to Discord instead, how does that work? I havnt really used Discord myself, but from the little that i know, its more like IRC/chat rooms rather than posts like a forum has. How does this work with weekly archives of sales discussions etc.? Or is the Discord server just a temporary thing until someone set up another forum somewhere?
For now, there would be a chat room for sales discussions for different regions and there would also be a an archive where no discussions would be allowed and ony the weekly sales data would be posted. The main difference compared a forum like this is that the sales talk would have quite a lot of posts depending on how active it is.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
For now, there would be a chat room for sales discussions for different regions and there would also be a an archive where no discussions would be allowed and ony the weekly sales data would be posted. The main difference compared a forum like this is that the sales talk would have quite a lot of posts depending on how active it is.
Ah ok, so there will be several of different chat rooms for different things? If so, i see, that would make sense and make things more organized and easier to archive weekly data, indeed. And chat rooms might also lead to more posts/chats being made compared to a forum, as you mention, indeed, thats true. Thanks for the info! :)

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok, so there will be several of different chat rooms for different things? If so, i see, that would make sense and make things more organized and easier to archive weekly data, indeed. And chat rooms might also lead to more posts/chats being made compared to a forum, as you mention, indeed, thats true. Thanks for the info! :)
Exactly, you got it! As mentioned before, this is just for now and then things will move on to something you're more familiar with.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, you got it! As mentioned before, this is just for now and then things will move on to something you're more familiar with.
Understood. I dont know why i didnt think of the possibility of having multiple of chat rooms to begin with, but thats a good way to do it, indeed.

I see, i am looking forward to see how things will be going forward. Thanks again! :)

Sophistry

Banned
Jun 12, 2021
It would be more interesting to me if they did numbers like this on a per capita scale. There were 4.6 billion people in 1983 when the NES released, with many who didn't have access to buying one due to the global supply chain being not as robust. There were 7.5 billion in 2017 when the switch released. From this perspective it could look like the NES did better than Switch.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It would be more interesting to me if they did numbers like this on a per capita scale. There were 4.6 billion people in 1983 when the NES released, with many who didn't have access to buying one due to the global supply chain being not as robust. There were 7.5 billion in 2017 when the switch released. From this perspective it could look like the NES did better than Switch.

This is probably universally true of all the systems. It looks even worse when knowing that the market size expanded, back in 1983 places the famicom/NES were sold are much fewer than countries is sold. If you feel this an interesting thread topic, you should make one.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is pretty hard to measure actual penetration of a console into the population as you have not just used sales but also communal use, hand-me-downs, and piracy to consider. I bring this up because looking at console sales per capita seems to be to be trying to look at actual penetration rather than just raw sale numbers, which is essentially the monetization of the penetration which may be more or less efficient.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was made abundantly clear that this place [the staff or part of it] don't have regard for the efforts it takes to compile data nor understand that it's the aggregation of a small group of dedicated people that matter (after all it's a pretty niche subject!), not the platform which is just an empty host.

Thanks a ton for your years of work. If you continue elsewhere, I would absolutely still be looking forward to seeing your work. Good luck with whatever you do in the future!

Unbura

Dec 23, 2018

Bro, you were amazing. You're one of the few people that kept track on sales than other places done, and it sad most people don't publicly track sales nowadays
I honestly wish you good luck for the future. Maybe you could find an independent place to track Nintendo sales.

Last edited: