• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I read over the mod post. So here a question? What will you do about Morrigan?

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

Saying "if you post in support of us, you won't get banned" is a pretty big indictment here. And would explain the influx of trolls these last couple of days.
This is absolutely vile, what the fuck

Indyana

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously cannot comprehend how any group of people can agree with the moderation's course of action. I put myself in their shoes and try to imagine the best way out of this mess and I cannot fathom them agreeing on this. Who can call this a solution with a straight face? This is beyond ridiculous.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As if anyone needed more proof that what cvx did was intentional and not just a misunderstanding. Mods will always look out for their own above all else.

Colombo

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I'm basically been a lurker first at GAF all the way back when the PS2 used to stomp the GameCube in the weekly charts and switched over to Era along with nearly everyone else! I have contributed very little over that time as far as posting is concerned so I know my thoughts and opinion are not going to carry much weight but here goes anyway!

Please Chris I ask you to reconsider leaving or at least trial sticking around for a few more weeks before deciding!! Your work on the charts and your insight is really appreciated! I want to extend that to all the regulars here too!

I'm in Australia but Wednesday in the MC days and now late Thursday/early Friday for the Famitsu charts, is a weekly ritual for me and I must revisit the charts 20-30 times per week and read every page, sometimes more than once!! The latest MC thread every week is my weekly highlight and I don't want to imagine it without Chris being at the helm! Btw, the dedication shown by Chris week in week out is just amazing and greatly appreciated! So I ask again, please Chris don't leave! This place and any effort to continue the charts minus Chris is not going to be same and that thought is heartbreaking for me!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Way to take everything out of context, but nothing is new.

People wanted to post in support of the staff post, but literally said they were afraid to get dogpiled. So I said it's cool, if you go in there in good faith to defend us, and you don't attack people, you're good

But nah gotta twist it all out of proportion like always.

Anyway, all of this is very funny because I never even had anything to do with any of this. But none of you care, you just want your pound of flesh. Well congrats, you got it.

I'm done with this shitshow. Enjoy your new Sales site.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't gendered slurs ban-worthy? I definitely seen people here banned for using the c-word before, even when it was directed at evil human beings.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't conflate private whatever the fuck that is with the mod team.

The moderation is not a hivemind.

But we do need an explanation.
I just wanted to say that I appreciate what you are trying to do. I don't have faith it will lead to anything but it's always nice to see someone give it an honest attempt.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

People wanted to post in support of the staff post, but literally said they were afraid to get dogpiled. So I said it's cool, if you go in there in good faith to defend us, and you don't attack people, you're good

Anyway, all of this is very funny because I never even had anything to do with any of this. But none of you care, you just want your pound of flesh. Well congrats, you got it.

This doesn't help matters at all.

I'm trying my best here but can you not throw oil on a fire.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Okay, I read over the mod post. So here a question? What will you do about Morrigan?

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

Saying "if you post in support of us, you won't get banned" is a pretty big indictment here. And would explain the influx of trolls these last couple of days.
Ah, hm

Well!

This continues to be a very bad look!

I forget; someone got posted earlier for pointing out that a mod posted islamophobic stuff on the old site. Is this the same mod?

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Curious to find out the context for calling the people who want to know why cvx got a slap on the wrist 'cunts'

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

screengrabbing this was prectitable and honestly, pathetic. you people are just proving CVX and Morrigan's point that you can't handle something and literally started a witch hunt.

It's never going to end huh?

with this attitude of mobhunting anyone who isn't pro whatever is going on? good luck. go make your own forum or something.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017

I have been just lurking, but what the fuck is this response. How can a moderator just post this?

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm going to repost what I posted in the constructive community discussion thread in here, as I know a lot of people just don't visit that section, lol.

Whenever I see something like this happen to another active community here, I can't help but wonder if, in an attempt for the forum as a whole to be a bastion for everyone to escape from nazis and transphobes and all the other ilk of the internet, the super strict "no fun allowed" moderation approach just doesn't work when smaller issues arise.

For instance with the Media Create fiasco, you had a thread series that was enjoyed by many people, people who said they came to the forums just for those discussions. Recently, some of the regulars went to the staff and said "hey, we don't like how these people are tolling the thread, can you ask them to cool it?". Seems like a small and simple issue, right? In response, the thread gets locked and upon reopening, there's a nine point list of rules and guidelines to follow. Talk about an overresponse to an easily solvable issue!

I mean hell, we're posting on forum software that allows staff to ban members from threads entirely if they don't play nice. The proper response should have been...
"Hey, member X, we're getting reports from the regulars in the Media Create thread that you're a bit trolly, could you please cool it? If not, we might have to thread ban you from all future Media Create threads. Thanks!"
Instead we get a massive list of points and rules handed down from on high like this is some corporation and now human resources has just sent out a company wide memo telling everyone off.

I have always believed that light touch moderation in response to small, simple issues is the best. Like most of us old fucks, I've been on forums since it was illegal for me to be on forums because I was underage. The forums where moderators posted corporate sounding memos in response to the small issues weren't fun and drove people away. In fact, I've never encountered such a forum until this one.

I'd even go so far as to say we don't need as many staff members as this site has! Sure it's a massive forum, but so what? If something truly egregious gets posted, it's usually reported en masse, (as evidenced by the numerous times threads are closed while "we review reports"), and swiftly dealt with. You don't need 20+ moderators to do that. A small team of 10 would do.

My suggestion would be to let the biggest communities self-moderate. Have the staff appoint someone, not as a mod, but as a ward of the community, and they will act as a liaison with the staff to alert them, in addition to reports from the other regulars, when shit goes awry in said threads.

I'm sure some with vehemently disagree with most, if not all of what I've said here, but I wanted to say it anyway.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That doesn't even make sense. The slurs and condescension was uncalled for to begin with.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

B-Dubs . I mean honestly. And how many were banned for name dropping Morrigan ? Will they be allowed to beg you for their membership back, I mean "appeal their ban"?

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Ah yes. "Manbabies" is completely out of context.

Oct 25, 2017

So fast comes your defense huh. "oUt Of CoNtExT" yeah sure................
Again AliceAmber B-Dubs ColdSun Delphine ghostcrew Hecht JayC3 Nepenthe Poodlestrike Redcrayon The Woods Transistor what is the response for this? You all are just going to stay silent regarding this?

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

Yeah, this is terrible.

We deserve an explanation.

You won't get one. Mods will continue to shit on users off site with no repercussions but if a user shits on a mod off site they will get permanently banned.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019

So what's the context behind you calling members "manbabies" and "cunts" and having it out for somebody in mind?

Deleted member 99377

Banned
Jun 23, 2021

Feel free to post the receipts

Or do you not want to share with the "cunts" here

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Can the hole get any deeper at this point? I only lurk in these threads, but this is very disheartening to see.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care if you quit.

Did you have to throw dynamite into the building as you walked out...? Some of us are trying our damnedest to help this situation from a position that doesn't attack the moderation, this really doesn't fucking help matters.

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
All I am personally asking for right now is consistancy.

Rules are rules for a reason. If they need to be bent then we should know. This was one of the reasons people were feeling unhappy at GAF before the shit went down. The lack of communication.

But there is consistancy. Another mod will be slapped in the wrist...

Dec 21, 2020

Then, can you do the bare minimum to explain the situation? It's the least you owe for those messages. If it is a "misunderstanding" as you seem to be implying, then there must be some reason for why things happened and why you responded the way you did in that server. Help us understand you, its the very least that can be done. One other mod is helping us understand their position on the matter, hopefully you as well can explain your situation.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

🤡

Deleted member 55822

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
I have been silent until now. Because a lot of thing are going on and I decided to stay silent to see if things could be improved. Try not to take side and be as unbiased as possible.

With that said. In my personal opinion. Lack of communications between regular posters here and the staffs really drive the SalesEra to this state right now. Maybe it's not easy to do on a forum. But if this is in, say Discord. I would make a room and just talks to everyone. See what's going on, show us the proof. And discuss what we can do to improve it. And I would do this before banning anyone, period. Ban should be used a last resort unless it's really obivious that the action need to be done sooner than later. That's just my two cents on the whole moderaton process.

Now, it's really obivious that the damage had already been done and it's not going to be back. I feel disappointed about how the whole situation was handled. I can only hope it's going to be better in the future. But right now it's safe to say I don't have much hope if it's going to be the same as before. We can only just wait and see I guess.

I have only been following the Japanese sale thread for a few years, and I rarely say anything here because that's how I am as a person. Not sure if you could call me a newcomers, but when I say something that was wrong or isn't completely the truth. I can absolutely say that I didn't get passive aggresive comments from regulars here. (Which, real talk, I was shocked to learn that's how some people here think of MC threads. Because I didn't get that feeling at all. Though as everyone said we could use less hostile comments and inside jokes.)

And really, it's hard for me to think of what I'm going with this post now. It's 2AM at the time of writing this. So probably I need to sleep. But...
Media Create threads was the main reason I came to ResetEra in the first place, and seeing what's going on now it's just very devastating to witness. I barely knows anyone here, but thanks to all the regulars who provides insightful comments and resources regarding video game market, not just Japan, but other part of the world as well. And like others, I would like to get DM to join in a new MC place if there is one. I'm going to miss it, that's for sure.

PS. Even now I'm still not sure what to write in this post... It's just... hard to put into words I suppose.

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
By this point is pretty much evident there are a lot of users, admins, and mods that dislike the MC Thread and it's community.

I guess, Asia will save RestEra.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
screengrabbing this was prectitable and honestly, pathetic. you people are just proving CVX and Morrigan's point that you can't handle something and literally started a witch hunt.

with this attitude of mobhunting anyone who isn't pro whatever is going on? good luck. go make your own forum or something.
Someone with no prior record gets fucking permabanned over one critical tweet but we should be okay if the mods say 10 times worse stuff? That's hypocritical as shit

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Good lord this is shameful. I really can't say anything else others haven't. I've been following since the GAF days and, if you pay attention, it doesn't take too long to figure out who is frog trolling.

I'll echo the sentiment that if there's another MC discussion area that pops up, DM me.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 month): Highly inappropriate comparison to police brutality

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

So like the police? I guess that may be an unfair comparison when difference is that mods don't get paid, and therefore don't have paid leave.

Deleted member 39587

Banned
Feb 6, 2018

fuck you, you're a manipulative asshole and a shit moderator.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Someone should create a VG charts platform we can get this info now this all went to the shitter, think of a clever name for it, add a z in the name or something....

I lost all faith in moderation once I saw a bulshit thread that was only kept open in full console war mode because it was made by a mod, who did not wanted to admit how off he was on the original post.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

Yeah, to reiterate what I said earlier about Cvx's behavior: It shouldn't be too much to ask that staff doesn't talk about this kind of stuff outside of the forum with non-staffers, and especially not in semi-public places like Discord. It's understandable to feel frustration if you feel you're being wronged, but you can't act on the forum as the voice of reason while talking dirty about forum users to your in group. It seems things are a bit the wrong way around here where mere users get banned for voicing displeasure about staff off site, but staff attacking users off site doesn't need to fear the same consequences. It should be the other way around though, staff should be held to a higher standard as mere users, since a place like this is being kept together by the users's trust in its staff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.