• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Let's just say this, if you have entered the MC threads the last years and not had the same opinions that the majority of members here, you have been dogpiled just like I am now.
So most just lurk and don't dare too write, it's have not been very welcoming threads.

Edit: Not gonna respond more nowbut think about it.

Have fun with the thread going forward! I think you'll find your "contributions" much more accepted in the future!

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's just say this, if you have entered the MC threads the last years and not had the same opinions that the majority of members here, you have been dogpiled just like I am now.
So most just lurk and don't dare too write, it's have not been very welcoming threads.

You're here and just show that all you wanna do is shitpost and have not read up what the fuck happened.
Do us a favor and cry us a river elsewhere. It is getting pathetic how you self-victimize

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
As a lurker here, I feel the need to speak up.

So not only did CVX didn't get banned for a pre-meditated attack on Chris, they also get to remain a mod.

Bruno meanwhile got banned for a rather tame comment on twitter.

I'll let y'all fill in the pieces here. Most of the rules don't really apply to the mods.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017

You're really playing the transparent victim card with us?

Oct 27, 2017

Hey if you don't want to respond then don't but incase you read this:

Sure, in some cases you might get dogpiled. It happened before and it will happen again for sure. The community isn't perfect.

That being said, you are being dogpiled because you are wrong. People are pointing out why that is.

It is not about a one day ban. It is more than that.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

You shitposted and got rightly criticized for it. Stop playing the victim.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
The thing is if Chris and hes followers just accepted a 1 day ban, 1 day! This would been over long ago.

So your saying Chris is untouchable?

If you only knew how many ppl that have received q day or longer bans for nothing.

More like, sometimes they faulter, it's human.
No system is bulletproof.
But there's no reason too feel so hurt over a ban

More like people who decided to leave know that this will be a recurring issue and mods have no solutions going forward. You are just yet another perfect example.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No one is pretending that some innocent posters haven't been caught in the crossfire of hostility but how can you blame people for being defensive and snarky when you see the shit they have to put up with?

Oct 25, 2017
No one is pretending that some innocent posters haven't been caught in the crossfire of hostility but how can you blame people for being defensive and snarky when you see the shit they have to put up with?

My favorite deflection from these sort of posters agreeing that we deserved this was the fact someone actually tried to use you as a shield when you were actively disagreeing with everything that was transpiring.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
More like, sometimes they faulter, it's human.
No system is bulletproof.
But there's no reason too feel so hurt over a ban
This entire situation is solely on eras moderation team being absolutely unqualified to handle this thread. Chris being banned is the straw that broke the camels back for over a years worth of trolling going unmoderated in MC threads. The entire team knew it was an issue and still decided to sit on the issue and not find trust worthy individuals from the sales era community to help moderate this thread sooner. Instead they took action this week only to ban the person that pushed back against the trolling the hardest and imposing new rules that everyone that frequents the threads knew wouldn't help with any of the issues.

why stay here if this is how the people running the site choose to handle the threads issues?

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why so many people here are disappointed and want to leave but we need to realize that many people over the internet read these threads weekly and are entertained by the characters and takes we have here. I don't think Chris should leave here and he should return because people like to read these threads and he's an important part of the Japanese sales community. There are a lot of people we don't know who come in here every now and then and read the discussions. I think that's a lot more important than the mods making a bad decision.
I understand what you wanna say, but Chris nor anybody else should care about what random people on the web think or miss out, since he is the one who is putting all this work into these theards, unpaid, in his free time. And if he thinks he can't do this anymore without the least amount of respect and gratitude and have fun discussing things who are just as interested in these topics as him, he has every right to leave.
He doesn't own anyone anything, just like this staff doesn't really own us anything. But that has, like everything in life consequences

Raigor

May 14, 2020

You are being dogpiled because you write dumb shit that makes no sense.

Miss me with this victimism because it's not helping anyone right now.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So nice to see the leadership post go "we're sooooooo sorryyyyyyy :'(", slap the offending mod on the wrist, and then basically declare everything over and done with. It's like no one in power has learned a thing from every other community getting driven off the site!

Time and again, the staff have shown they have learned absolutely nothing from the old place. Instead, they close ranks to protect their own, and as we just seen, now that the damage has already been done, they don't give a damn.

It almost feels deliberate

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

See, I do agree very much with this. Some of the regulars could be a bit hostile and passive aggressive at times, but that behavior was explicitly and clearly caused by the long line of trolls that would go without action for so long. And then their alt accounts which usually showed up after they eventually slipped up.

But I'm a regular in these threads, so I can notice these patterns. I definitely get how outsiders don't notice those. Therefore the main problem here was that regulars were clearly not consulted here in order to impart any sort of understanding of these threads' dynamics.

Simply asking a couple regulars (many of us have clean records too) about what was going on would have avoided probably all of this.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017

Bro what are you saying? People are criticizing your comment and now you are pretending to act as if you're innocent and that people are dogpiling you. You can't just come in this thread and be condescending towards people who participated in this community.

A little bit of sympathy goes a long way.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

Don't put the blame on victims and act like they should keep quiet.

Oct 25, 2017
I also want to adress the supposed "toxicity" of this thread/community and the fact they aren't "newbie friendly". These are bold faced lies. I was a newcomer here and was treated with kindness and respect by everyone. When I had genuine question, everyone were quick to answer as they could and even provide resources such as GDL(Game Data Library), past MC Threads, CESA Whitepaper, etc. And regarding Chris specifically, he was incredible kind to me. Always answered me and provided data. All of that was achieved because I wasn't trolling people and wanted to truly be part of this community. Media-Create threads were the reason I came to ERA and is sad to see being erased because of moderation errors, malicious intent from cvxfreak, trolling and whatnot. In just a week, ERA staff killed years of data and community.

Think about what. Because there's data and data points the real situation. There's no my side and other side. There's just opinion based on data. If you come to troll, yes, people will correct you. There's no point of painting yourselves as victim when you aren't.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Long time lurker of sales threads for many years dating back to old site.

Real shame re Chris, would also appreciate a pm if he continues his sales work elsewhere.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
What that not true, Oregano nearly always has different opinions and still "fights" for this thread.
I'm also just a lurker and had stupid opinions and never got attacked for that.

Usually people are annoyed when people start to use "Japan isn't worth it" as a defence why bad sales are okay.

Not my experience, unfortunately. Aside from a few users, it feels like like I'm attacked by a gang of wolves by being positive about what I find positive (but they don't see it the same way that I do, which is obviously fine but no need for such aggressivity).

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If the moderation wasn't to actually try to right this wrong and fix this situation, we need a couple of things address immediately:
  1. Situation with Bruno needs to be clearly addressed.
  2. Chris needs to be reached out to be moderation and issued a proper apology.
  3. The community needs to be *trusted* and borderline insulting guidelines should not be slapped on the community with no community input.
From this you *might* be able to salvage the community and have it reform without too much serious damage to its membership but the faith in the moderation is and will be shot for the foreseeable future and everything/one will be on egg shells.

But this is the bare minimum.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
See, I do agree very much with this. Some of the regulars could be a bit hostile and passive aggressive at times, but that behavior was explicitly and clearly caused by the long line of trolls that would go without action for so long. And then their alt accounts which usually showed up after they eventually slipped up.

But I'm a regular in these threads, so I can notice these patterns. I definitely get how outsiders don't notice those. Therefore the main problem here was that regulars were clearly not consulted here in order to impart any sort of understanding of these threads' dynamics.

Simply asking a couple regulars (many of us have clean records too) about what was going on would have avoided probably all of this.

It's blatantly obvious they didn't have any interest in communicating with any of the regular posters, even after the whole thing blew up in everyone's face there was no attempt to communicate with the few of us that hadn't been unceremoniously banned.

dxspace

Oct 25, 2017
What bugs me is that Chris anticipated the trolling getting worse too. Yet he was the one who got banned initially.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
If the moderation wasn't to actually try to right this wrong and fix this situation, we need a couple of things address immediately:
  3. The community needs to be *trusted* and borderline insulting guidelines should not be slapped on the community with no community input.
From this you *might* be able to salvage the community and have it reform without too much serious damage to its membership but the faith in the moderation is and will be shot for the foreseeable future and everything/one will be on egg shells.

They would need to address the cvxfreak timezone thing as well and even then it's too late. Too many people are already gone.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

I'd also say a substantial amount of the other bans also need to be overturned from this thread on that day.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I understand why so many people here are disappointed and want to leave but we need to realize that many people over the internet read these threads weekly and are entertained by the characters and takes we have here. I don't think Chris should leave here and he should return because people like to read these threads and he's an important part of the Japanese sales community. There are a lot of people we don't know who come in here every now and then and read the discussions. I think that's a lot more important than the mods making a bad decision.
Era is just a forum, a mere tool for people to speak with each other and as such ultimately replacable. It's totally fair for a sub-community to search for or establish a new place if they don't think their discussions are being appreciated. This would be a loss for everyone involved - Era loses what gives these threads life, the sales community loses the discoverbility a large forum brings - but still a completely fair and understandable course of action.

Dec 21, 2020
Can bruno be unbanned? I'm not sure of what was said, but from what I gather it was criticizing the moderation of ERA with this whole situation, isn't a perma-ban rather harsh for that when at the moment the situation seems to justify such a post to criticize the way this is handled?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Did you consider just asking the community for input on why someone was reported for "trolling" and why the community maybe regarded them with some degree of ire? (This isn't the first time a troll has had long-running stay with no repurcussions despite everyone in the community knowing they were a troll.) And how said reported person was the one who set all of this off? Did this "coincidence" not set off some red flags that maybe, just maybe... they were actually trolling and goading posters to try to get them in trouble?

Basically says to me and everyone in the community that... you don't trust the community.

I get that we missed the mark on Caiops and I'm not disagreeing with your point at all. I'm trying to explain why there was a failure of the system to understand that Caiops was a troll. Personally, and this is because I'm a stupid person not speaking for a single other mod on the site, I find trying to discern trolls in Sales threads fairly difficult because you also are able to use real sales data to obfuscate your troll. And yeah, I get the response to that is "if you can't figure it out why do you have this job", I told you, I'm stupid. But I think sometimes the obviousness within the community does not come across to those of us who are dealing with multiple different reports in multiple different communities with nuances that we are trying to learn about given that it's probably impossible for our mod staff to have members who take part in literally every single community on this board. That's why the ticket with the screenshots from the Brazilian message board was a little personally frustrating to me -- so, it was known that this user was posting on a Brazilian message board talking about how they don't care about Japanese sales? Yes, that gives us the necessary context now in this thread to make a decision. But if you all know about and we don't, then we can't use that information. We can look at post history, but at some point, we are going to need more help than just a report that says "trolling."

Again, I can't talk for the mod team, I'm more just talking for myself about experiencing the report system from the other side after being on ***/ERA for a while.

I don't know if you'll find this post useful or just frustrating, I'm just trying to explain a little more of our side's context.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
This went entirely as expected, most moves would result in a bad outcome, except moves that have them take complete accountability, with real consequences, to the staff involved, though even that would not have fixed things and returned them as they were before, but it'd have left a better precedent. Maybe it'll come to that after enough pushback from the community, but that shouldn't have be required to reach that point.

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
Cvxfreak was asked to help with the thread because he's been following it for years and knows Japan and the industry as well as anyone does. He did his honest best to understand the issues in the community and privately consulted active posters. He admits now however that the concerns he brought to the staff were incomplete at best and ignorant of more severe and pressing issues at worst.

I do wonder who was consulted for this. If I may ask, which events lead you to put Cvxfreak to the task of following the thread? Was the constant reports on trolling, or the reports of "hostile attitude towards new members"?

Which were the "issues in the community" that moved you to act?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Long time lurker of sales threads for many years dating back to old site.

Real shame re Chris, would also appreciate a pm if he continues his sales work elsewhere.

Same. I rarely post in these threads but will come in every now and then, as I have for years to take a look at the numbers and the discussion. It'll be sad to see another community leaving this site.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Backseat moderation on an inflammatory comparison . Ban extended to permanent after doubling down via ticket
I'll stand by it.

CVX and their shit behavior lead to the destruction of a well established Community who has been alive and supported through its members for almost 10+ years, and across two major websites.

CVX doing so, with shitty intent which is provable and then not getting the retribution he deserves is no different than asshole Cops abusing their power to harm others and then expect the rules to not apply to them.
So making a comparison to a mod abusing his power in malicious intend and getting aways with it with a cop absuing his power and getting away with it will result in a ban? Way to de escalate things here.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been an avid reader of these threads for over a decade, but I don't post that much. I didn't post anything since this started rolling because I didn't think something good would come out of it. I'll continue withholding most of my opinions, but I'm not sure if there's a way to take the latest updates in good faith, what with weird irrelevant points about time zones and ignoring the biggest issues of the incident.
I don't really know if this community can continue, this whole ordeal has been a pretty major blow to it. Hopefully it will be able to rebuild, and hopefully I can take some part in it again, but I don't think there's much, if any, confidence that this can happen here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I van gi
I get that we missed the mark on Caiops and I'm not disagreeing with your point at all. I'm trying to explain why there was a failure of the system to understand that Caiops was a troll. Personally, and this is because I'm a stupid person not speaking for a single other mod on the site, I find trying to discern trolls in Sales threads fairly difficult because you also are able to use real sales data to obfuscate your troll. And yeah, I get the response to that is "if you can't figure it out why do you have this job", I told you, I'm stupid. But I think sometimes the obviousness within the community does not come across to those of us who are dealing with multiple different reports in multiple different communities with nuances that we are trying to learn about given that it's probably impossible for our mod staff to have members who take part in literally every single community on this board. That's why the ticket with the screenshots from the Brazilian message board was a little personally frustrating to me -- so, it was known that this user was posting on a Brazilian message board talking about how they don't care about Japanese sales? Yes, that gives us the necessary context now in this thread to make a decision. But if you all know about and we don't, then we can't use that information. We can look at post history, but at some point, we are going to need more help than just a report that says "trolling."

Again, I can't talk for the mod team, I'm more just talking for myself about experiencing the report system from the other side after being on ***/ERA for a while.

I don't know if you'll find this post useful or just frustrating, I'm just trying to explain a little more of our side's context.
This happens consistently within communities. The long time posters aren't consulted. Their reports are ignored. And suddenly, when the new people who are getting reported start reporting, suddenly the bans start to flow for the people who have been trying to get y'all to act for months.

This is a pattern and this gee golly shucks act ain't cutting it. It might be true for you, personally, as an individual, but it ain't true overall.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
The only way the community was going to be repaired was apologizing profusely to Chris and the community, followed by real accountability. I'm incredibly disappointed. The sales community can't possibly have confidence now.

Keep in touch everyone. If Chris decides to settle somewhere else, I definitely want to know.

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
If the discussion about sales is about to continue elsewhere, please send a pm too. I'd love to contribute in some form.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Wow just read some ot these pages. A great contributor (Chris as well as others) got banned then page 27 (I believe) transformed into a graveyard.

It has been quite a dark week for the site.

Oct 25, 2017

This! As you said, it's the bare minimum.
I do wonder who was consulted for this. If I may ask, which events lead you to put Cvxfreak to the task of following the thread? Was the constant reports on trolling, or the reports of "hostile attitude towards new members"?

Which were the "issues in the community" that moved you to act?
I also would want to know that too. Someone who barely posted on these threads at all is the chosen to be the moderator for these threads. Why? Yes, he has history sparking from SalesAGE but he wasn't a regular anymore and as we can see, had malicious intent. Why did the staff choose him at all instead of a regular and active SalesERA member?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man if I can get a hint where to follow MC shoot me a dm.
Same here please. Haven't posted in the mc threads in a while but always liked reading the opinions and analysis of a lot of the regulars, even before on the old forum.

Also I always enjoyed the work that mazi and others did in regards to OTs and stuff so I'm beyond disappointed to see the way they been treated and to see them leave in these circumstances.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand why it's so hard to at least unmod cvxfreak, is he that important to keep when clearly he had an axe to grind against some members here and seemingly deliberately decided to stir up shit ?

Oct 25, 2017
Can I ask what will happen to BrunoMB then? Because he was permabanned for less than that. If you want to keep Cvxfreak on, okay, I don't know enough about him so I will refrain from making a judgment on that, but surely BrunoMB's ban will be reversed then?
Yeah Bruno getting banned for simply name dropping an admin on Twitter, only for a mod to off site directly talk Chris that way and get away with it is absolutely ridiculous.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really wished for a miracle and an actual effort to save this community but thankfully I didn't get my hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.