• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
I don't know if I'm just sleep deprived from staying up til like 3am MDT every night so far waiting for these preorder links to go live here in the US, but I *think* GameStop's preorder page updated with a message saying "Coming Soon! Check back soon for preorders..." Not that I plan on ordering from them, but maybe we're finally getting closer overall?

It definitely updated! I went to sleep around 3 a.m. EST, and when waking up that was the first thing I noticed. It's the 2nd day in a row that Gamestop add details to the page!

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Man something clicked in me when I measured the size of my cock Switch Lite and compared it to what a Switch OLED screen would be, and it's a pretty huge jump I gotta say. That alone has made me want one more than the OLED itself. Fucking hyped.

It'd be a ~27% increase in size, that's pretty good.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I think it depends on the firmware you're on, but no, i think any launch switch up to a certain serial number is able to have the RCM hack.

Ebay will have you believing they're worth $400, i think regularly, for a switch that is confirmed to be able to have the RCM mod + CFW, you could fetch between $250-300 for just the console itself. Best way to check is to ebay "nintendo switch low serial"
Is there any way to check the serial number without the number on the bottom? I've had my Switch since launch day, but the sticker fell off. I'm sure it works, but I just want to be sure.

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
Is there any way to check the serial number without the number on the bottom? I've had my Switch since launch day, but the sticker fell off. I'm sure it works, but I just want to be sure.

If you've had it since launch day in 2017 you don't really need to check the serial number - it's hackable. But in the system settings you can scroll down to "System" and click on "Serial Information". It will show on screen there.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
Nintendo didn´t start to fix the exploit until April 2018, so if you bought it before that, there shouldn´t be an issue.

jordn613

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused by people acting like you can get a lot for a low serial Switch when it's apparently only around $250 max, according to some of the posts here. I'm sure GameStop will have a trade deal that'll get somewhere close to that towards an OLED model.

I have a very low serial Switch but unlessI can sell it for more than $250 it doesn't seem worth the hassle of dealing with shipping, PayPal fees (or eBay fees), etc

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
I'm confused by people acting like you can get a lot for a low serial Switch when it's apparently only around $250 max, according to some of the posts here. I'm sure GameStop will have a trade deal that'll get somewhere close to that towards an OLED model.

I have a very low serial Switch but unlessI can sell it for more than $250 it doesn't seem worth the hassle of dealing with shipping, PayPal fees (or eBay fees), etc

There's definitely some variability, but an ebay search for switch unpatched sold listings shows working tablets alone (no joy-con or accessories) go for $200+, with CIB systems 270-300+. Of course there's eBay fees but if you have the box and accessories, getting the MSRP back 4 years later isn't a bad place to be. Obviously it's a gamble though. eBay is full of scammers.

Apr 9, 2019
why are launch switches worth a lot? I do like the white...
How much? I have a launch switch I just never wanted to go through the trouble of selling on Amazon/ebay
Kinda late to reply, but the 2017 and some 2018 Switches are hackable through a hardware exploit accidentally left in by nVidia. It's not fixable through firmware updates, so the firmware it runs isn't important for these models (firmware only becomes a factor on later Switch units).

As far as price goes, I only started looking into it today but see used launch Switches in non-mint condition going for €350. That may go down when the SwOLED launces, but maybe not because the 2017 model remains the only easily hackable Switch. So if you play it well you might be able to upgrade for (next to) nothing.

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess I should retire my launch one until I wanna mod it. This oled one is coming at a good time, now only if preorders open soon... I want my dockable vita dammit

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Its a hardware exploit, so even if you patched the Switch, it should still work if its in the range of the first serial numbers.
Oh damn. Just looked at mine and its serial is XAJ7002etc. Does that mean I have one that someone could use for this hack? Because that would be pretty damn exciting for helping to cover the OLED upgrade cost.

Might list it on Era b/s/t first if that's allowed here.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
Oh damn. Just looked at mine and its serial is XAJ7002etc. Does that mean I have one that someone could use for this hack? Because that would be pretty damn exciting for helping to cover the OLED upgrade cost.

Might list it on Era b/s/t first if that's allowed here.
Posted a link with what serial numbers are fixed and not fixed like 2 pages ago, you can look for it there.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to derail, but what's the value in CFW on a Switch? I'm not talking pirated games...But like, can you use it as an emulation device? Or just custom themes and such?

I can't really see myself picking up the OLED model because it doesn't change anything from my current launch unit. But that may change if it's a powerful emulation station or whatever.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I can't decide if the SWOLED is going to be easy to obtain in the US, or if the fact that they're offering this at $350 without discontinuing the OG means that it's only going to be available in incredibly small quantities until at least 2022.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to derail, but what's the value in CFW on a Switch? I'm not talking pirated games...But like, can you use it as an emulation device? Or just custom themes and such?

I can't really see myself picking up the OLED model because it doesn't change anything from my current launch unit. But that may change if it's a powerful emulation station or whatever.
overclocking for better performance

Exophonics

One Winged Slayer
May 14, 2018
Hey OP,
Just want to say you're doing an amazing job keeping up with all the links and the threadmarks! Thanks!

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hackable launch edition Switch with the box in pretty much mint condition (some light scratches withstanding). If I could sell it for a decent amount and heavily offset the cost of an OLED model I'd be interested in trying it. Gonna look into it

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

Overclocking, patching games (say you want unbreakable weapon cheat in BOTW), homebrew games, emulation, etc...

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't decide if the SWOLED is going to be easy to obtain in the US, or if the fact that they're offering this at $350 without discontinuing the OG means that it's only going to be available in incredibly small quantities until at least 2022.
Don't let initial rage on ERA mislead you, this shit is going to sell out in minutes and will be difficult to get for months. I expect a lot of 180s to happen when this is released, people will praise larger OLED screen and other improvements.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't let initial rage on ERA mislead you, this shit is going to sell out in minutes and will be difficult to get for months. I expect a lot of 180s to happen when this is released, people will praise larger OLED screen and other improvements.

Agreed. Im in the hunt for one as well. Due to the new screen, I'll actually use it predominantly for handheld play. I have an OG, day one Switch.

When the 4k variant drops, I'll get that as well and leave that in docked mode.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I'm not wondering about relative ease of purchase based on the ERA/Twitter reception. It's more about the fact that it's $50 more and does the same things as the OG, and I think the casual market is more price elastic.

I guess my real question is about the initial supply, because I can imagine that there's many hardcore games who can't wait to check out that OLED screen.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I don't know but I hope so :)
Ah, I looked it up in the meantime, and yeah, they've got a price guarantee going, which hopefully means they'll adjust it accordingly. Seems like that'll only be the case once they charge you, though, so initially they're going to charge 399 and you'll get the difference in price back afterwards, which is ... eh, not that great compared to Amazon.

KAG

Sep 12, 2018
User Warned: Spam, Referral links
Hey OP,
Just want to say you're doing an amazing job keeping up with all the links and the threadmarks! Thanks!
Buah hahahahaha, although I'm not the OP here's a list of link's thus far.

MOD EDIT: Removed referral links

Last edited by a moderator:
us - many retailers

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
When you go to the Bestbuy or whatever other site just copy the new link and paste and go.

These are the US links btw.

www.bhphotovideo.com

Nintendo Switch OLED Model (White Joy-Con, White Dock)

Buy Nintendo Switch OLED Model (White Joy-Con, White Dock) featuring 64GB Internal Storage, Custom NVIDIA Tegra Processor, 7" 1280 x 720 OLED Touchscreen, 4.5 to 9 Hours of Battery Life, Outputs up to 1080p when Using Dock, Wide Adjustable Stand, Wirelessly Link up to Eight Systems, Play Console...

www.bhphotovideo.com

Nintendo Switch OLED Model (Neon Blue and Red Joy-Con, Black Dock)

Buy Nintendo Switch OLED Model (Neon Blue and Red Joy-Con, Black Dock) featuring 64GB Internal Storage, Custom NVIDIA Tegra Processor, 7" 1280 x 720 OLED Touchscreen, 4.5 to 9 Hours of Battery Life, Outputs up to 1080p when Using Dock, Wide Adjustable Stand, Wirelessly Link up to Eight Systems...

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Smyth Toys do actually have stock in btw .

Might have used the skimresources link by mistake. Altho I did open a new tab again. Am I boned?

Oct 25, 2017
When you go to the Bestbuy or whatever other site just copy the new link and paste and go.

These are the US links btw.

www.bhphotovideo.com

Nintendo Switch OLED Model (White Joy-Con, White Dock)

Buy Nintendo Switch OLED Model (White Joy-Con, White Dock) featuring 64GB Internal Storage, Custom NVIDIA Tegra Processor, 7" 1280 x 720 OLED Touchscreen, 4.5 to 9 Hours of Battery Life, Outputs up to 1080p when Using Dock, Wide Adjustable Stand, Wirelessly Link up to Eight Systems, Play Console...

www.bhphotovideo.com

Nintendo Switch OLED Model (Neon Blue and Red Joy-Con, Black Dock)

Buy Nintendo Switch OLED Model (Neon Blue and Red Joy-Con, Black Dock) featuring 64GB Internal Storage, Custom NVIDIA Tegra Processor, 7" 1280 x 720 OLED Touchscreen, 4.5 to 9 Hours of Battery Life, Outputs up to 1080p when Using Dock, Wide Adjustable Stand, Wirelessly Link up to Eight Systems...

Book fucking marked

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Every now and then I'm tempted to do that hacky stuff with my launch Switch and try to turn it into a Steam Link gadget, but I'd be the idiot that'd fuck up the process and brick the damn thing.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Will this thing ever go for pre-order in the US? Getting tired of monitoring this thing every hour.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Every now and then I'm tempted to do that hacky stuff with my launch Switch and try to turn it into a Steam Link gadget, but I'd be the idiot that'd fuck up the process and brick the damn thing.

I will say that modding a Vita, for example, is significantly trickier and more time consuming than the Switch.

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017
Same. I tried to Google some info on how to do it so we will see. I'd just like to know which resources are legit and such. I'd love to overclock it and Steam Link too.