SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Every now and then I'm tempted to do that hacky stuff with my launch Switch and try to turn it into a Steam Link gadget, but I'd be the idiot that'd fuck up the process and brick the damn thing.
Yeah, I feel the same way. Like, it would be neat. But I would definitely mess it up somehow and break the whole thing. It's nice to know my launch Switch is more valuable due to it's hackability though!

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Don't let initial rage on ERA mislead you, this shit is going to sell out in minutes and will be difficult to get for months. I expect a lot of 180s to happen when this is released, people will praise larger OLED screen and other improvements.
A lot of people here are acting like the screen isn't even bigger, they're like "does the public even care about OLED? does the public even know what that is?" and like, maybe not, but the public does know what a bigger edge-to-edge screen is. This is basically the Switch XL and the XL version of the 3DS was very popular.

Era "not getting" something is usually a sign that it will do pretty well in the market.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people here are acting like the screen isn't even bigger, they're like "does the public even care about OLED? does the public even know what that is?" and like, maybe not, but the public does know what a bigger edge-to-edge screen is. This is basically the Switch XL and the XL version of the 3DS was very popular.

Era "not getting" something is usually a sign that it will do pretty well in the market.

I think people get it and don't want it. There is a large population that plays the Switch exclusively, or the vast majority of the time, on a TV.

I already play on a bigger screen. This is not like the 3DS where I could only play that handheld and so screen increases were meaningful.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think people get it and don't want it. There is a large population that plays the Switch exclusively, or the vast majority of the time, on a TV.

I already play on a bigger screen. This is not like the 3DS where I could only play that handheld and so screen increases were meaningful.

Whilst true, I would put good money on that population being very overrepresented online(especially on ERA)

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands

For me however, this is like a 3DS XL. I hardly ever play in docked mode.

For people who play docked, this new OLED Switch probably isn't worth it though.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

it depends, for existing main TV-docked users it isn't going to be worth it. But for first timers or people that play mostly in portable mode (and have launch day Switches with their battery getting older/have lower play time in general) it sort of is especially if you just trade it upwards and pay the difference.

when a customer goes into the store looking for their 1st Switch(non-Lite), they will be given the option of a $299.99 Switch with an 6.5" LCD screen, lesser audio, less internal storage, less improved kickstand or have the option of paying the $50 more to have a 7" OLED screen, double the internal storage, better audio and better kickstand with an improved dock. The slight price increase of $50 is not that large especially for someone putting down $300 already. Paying a little bit extra to get the "premium" device

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it depends, for existing main TV-docked users it isn't going to be worth it. But for first timers or people that play mostly in portable mode (and have launch day Switches with their battery getting older/have lower play time in general) it sort of is especially if you just trade it upwards and pay the difference.

when a customer goes into the store looking for their 1st Switch(non-Lite), they will be given the option of a $299.99 Switch with an 6.5" LCD screen, lesser audio, less improved kickstand or just pay the $50 more to have a 7" OLED screen, better audio and better kickstand. The slight price increase of $50 is not that large especially for someone putting down $300 already. Paying a little bit extra for a bit more of the "premium" device

You don't even need to favour/play mostly handheld. Any scenario where you use both docked/undocked means you get benefits.

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
I'm excited for this. I play in handheld mode often, and I don't have an OLED TV and likely won't have one until at least Black Friday or next year. The better speakers (despite rocking ATH-M50x's), more internal storage for future proofing my saves, better kickstand, and ethernet port are gonna be nice QoL upgrades for me.

Anxiously waiting for Best Buy preorders to drop.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the point of this thread was to have a bunch of pre-order links in the OP

Deleted member 5189

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Germany Era, alza.de (don't ask me, i have never heard about the retailer) is selling both models for 349€
Click

Alza.de
c/o Mailboxde.com GmbH, ID 47775
Äussere Weberstr. 57
02763 Zittau
Deutschland
Registriert beim: Amtsgericht München
HRB 227361

Hauptsitz in der Tschechischen Republik:
Alza.cz a. s.
Jankovcova 1522/53
170 00 Prag 7
Tschechische Republik
Tel.: +420 225 340 155

I looked at their imprint and that does not look very trust worthy...

de.trustpilot.com

Alza.de wird auf Trustpilot mit 4,7 von 5 als „Hervorragend“ bewertet

Finden Sie, dass der TrustScore von Alza.de passt? Berichten Sie von Ihren Erfahrungen und lesen Sie die Bewertungen von 7.104 Kunden.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If it's not up tomorrow I'm gonna assume this thing is going live at some random ass time between now and October 8th

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
And here I was thinking we'd see preorders available within 48hrs of an announcement.

I'm assuming, based on reports that this model entering production this month, Nintendo is waiting to see how many of these things are coming off the assembly before they can allocate preorder numbers to retailers. I'd guess we're a couple weeks away from that, maybe?

Oct 27, 2017
And here I was thinking we'd see preorders available within 48hrs of an announcement.

I'm assuming, based on reports that this model entering production this month, Nintendo is waiting to see how many of these things are coming off the assembly before they can allocate preorder numbers to retailers. I'd guess we're a couple weeks away from that, maybe?
Or how/when to get them where they need to go.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Correct. And then when it ships, or is ready for pickup, another charge for the amount is applied to the card.

Okay thanks, I have the money, but I just feel bad having nearly $400 locked up for months. It's why I canceled my walmart pre order for ps5 last year. In case of emergency (like what happened last year with ps5) I need to be able to cancel and not have money held up for a week :(

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
So this hasn't gone up for pre-order anywhere in the US right? Some pages have gone live but no one has taken orders?

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
So this hasn't gone up for pre-order anywhere in the US right? Some pages have gone live but no one has taken orders?

Basically. Though for some reason, some pages were still unfinished when they went up, like GameStop's which was still updating and adding more info to their pages today. Others like Target don't even have a page yet, but do have a promotion banner on their gaming section.

uk - simply games (bundles only)

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Up for pre order on Simplygames but the bundles are pretty crappy (at least for me)

UK Online Video Games and Entertainment Retailer | SimplyGames

SimplyGames - UK's top destination for the latest PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch, and PC titles. Dive into a vast selection of gaming consoles and accessories.

UK Online Video Games and Entertainment Retailer | SimplyGames

SimplyGames - UK's top destination for the latest PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch, and PC titles. Dive into a vast selection of gaming consoles and accessories.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if Amazon US is going to even offer preorders at this point. Could the chip shortages have anything to do with it?

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they will announce a date for preorders as we get closer to release. They wouldn't just drop them on a Thursday afternoon r-right?

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I forgot, did they announce when the preorders were going to go up for the previous releases? Launch, the lite, etc