• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Just found out that in West Virginia they are only testing you for Covid-19 if you have traveled outside of the country, like community transmission isn't even a thing. Amazing. No wonder our state is showing a big zero on the infected list.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
Anyways, how are most transmissions done? Via respiratory droplets from a cough/sneeze?

I believe so. And the virus in those "droplets" can survive on surfaces for a decent amount of time (don't know if that means hours or what). Someone sneezes, coughs, or touches one of those droplets then touches anything else, it'll be sitting there for someone else to pick up.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
It's an evolving picture that is mainly driven by increasing deaths, increasing cases confirmed by healthcare services, and post-epidemic evaluations of total population infection. Involving recovered vs dead as a metric doesn't seem that useful, but if you do still want to do that don't go for the Italian one since they are in a stage where it is super misguiding because of incubation periods and time to recover, instead keep a continuous eye on Koreas number:

www.worldometers.info

South Korea COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

South Korea Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

They are currently at 17% and that's a number I expect to keep dropping as they discharge more people as well as test further. They have a very structured approach to it and are as far into the course of epidemic as you can be outside China.

Be careful about using the numbers from Korea because they have a very specific demographic split due the cult that had the most impact in spreading the virus. More young people and more women than we see in other countries. And that drives the CFR significantly down.

Edit: source

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On a positive note I do now actually think the US is doing a pretty good job at social distancing, without the help of any real federal or even state guidance. Offices are going remote, large events are being cancelled, schools are closing, etc.

This is all very good. I personally feel like 1000x better now that my office has turned remote.

Economically this is going to be very hard though for hourly workers.

We need paid sick leave nationally even for part time workers.

That is how you solve this and it is blatantly obvious. 2 weeks paid sick leave nation wide is the required economic stimulous.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
So how does self isolation work if you have a wife and kids? Do you need to stay away from them?
I have hayfever pretty frequently but this seems to have turned into a cold. Not sure if I should self isolate.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So how does self isolation work if you have a wife and kids? Do you need to stay away from them?
I have hayfever pretty frequently but this seems to have turned into a cold. Not sure if I should self isolate.

Ideally every person in the world would isolate themselves from every other. That's not realistic though.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I live in Columbus, Ohio, and it feels like the apocalypse. I'm so afraid. OSU just cancelled classes for the rest of the semester, a story breaks that perhaps upwards of 117,000 people in the state have it, and I'm no longer allowed to go to work for 3 weeks. Plus the grocery store felt like a doomsday with the line wrapped around the store.

COVID-19 Symptom List

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is sore throat a symptom of Coronavirus? Mine is slightly sore and scratchy this evening.
rAsCROq.jpg

Not the most common one.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've got some friends on a chat mocking social distance saying they are up for board games. Ignoring
We shut down our community board game night until April. I'm sure things will be kicking up around here to where we'll have to extend that, but between sharing all the game pieces and communal supply of food and drinks, it's just asking for trouble to keep it going.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Is sore throat a symptom of Coronavirus? Mine is slightly sore and scratchy this evening.
There is a lesser viral disease going on in the US now whose symptoms are sore throat (no coughing) and sometimes mild fever. My throat has been like this for 2 weeks now, and does get a bit scratchy in some evenings (no fever though). As long as you don't develop any of the common symptoms of COVID19, I would suggest you not to worry about it.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I've been working at a store for almost 2 years now and I've never seen it this crazy. Not even the usual crazy days like Christmas eve or other holidays come any close.

I'm probably gonna end up sick at the end of this if my city doesn't quarantine, because my workplace sure as hell isn't gonna close on its own.

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
How is Canada testing? BC has 53 cases, Washington has 450+ I believe. Are we not testing enough is this a realistic difference?

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis is shutting down all public schools, and I'm going to Indianapolis tomorrow. I think I'm fucked.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017

There's three main symptoms: fever, dry caugh and shortness of breath. You shouldn't get a test unless it's really bad or you have been travelling to at risk countries/been in contact with someone you know has it. But stay at home if you feel sick, only contact a doctor if it gets worse. Too many people are clogging the lines with irrelevant symptoms and slowing things for people who really need it.

From what I have read, stay in different rooms, use your own towel, ustensiles etc. Clean door knobs and stuff regularly and be the last one to use the bathroom.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
We shut down our community board game night until April. I'm sure things will be kicking up around here to where we'll have to extend that, but between sharing all the game pieces and communal supply of food and drinks, it's just asking for trouble to keep it going.

Exactly. I understand some people aren't up to date with things but after a market crash, mandatory work from home you'd think they'd read up. Communal board games at food/bar is only more risk averse than a cruise ship, concert or flight.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
It's an evolving picture that is mainly driven by increasing deaths, increasing cases confirmed by healthcare services, and post-epidemic evaluations of total population infection. Involving recovered vs dead as a metric doesn't seem that useful, but if you do still want to do that don't go for the Italian one since they are in a stage where it is super misguiding because of incubation periods and time to recover, instead keep a continuous eye on Koreas number:

www.worldometers.info

South Korea COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

South Korea Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

They are currently at 17% and that's a number I expect to keep dropping as they discharge more people as well as test further. They have a very structured approach to it and are as far into the course of epidemic as you can be outside China.

Yeah I'm completely convinced on the time it takes to fully recover versus the time it takes to die. A bit embarressed that I didn't see that as a variable. Very happy everyone pointed that out to me.

Looking at Korea does seem logical from the timeframe perspective. I'll keep an eye on their development.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Well I have another week of spring break as Omaha school districts are shut down. The district is providing packets for elementary while middle and high will have ungraded work posted online. There isn't much we can do since a lot of kids don't have a computer.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Where is this magical stash of tests on demand that wealthy/famous people in the US keep finding? Like, no, seriously, with it being so hard to get any tests yet in this country, is there some VIP number to call?

I 100% agree, it just exposes how unfair and uneven the healthcare system is. The worst was Gobert mocking the situation and possibly infecting a teammate, but the dude gets tested right away.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've just developed a fever and a had dry cough for 3-4 days. Fatigue and diarrhea have also been a problem the last couple of days. I've also had shortness of breath but I think that was hayfever or possibly even anxiety.

Anyway I'm in the UK so I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do at this point? I can't rock up to the hospital, but I also can't call the NHS? Really hope this is just the flu but I've never had it and wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm supposed to go to a book convention mid April in Atlanta that is estimated to be at least 800 people minimum. Wife has been planning it for a year and is super excited cause she's been before and I was going this year. Now I'm getting nervous...

Gizmo

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
I think it is time for me to message my VA doctor and get a note to work from home. I have a history of bronchitis and respiratory issues and can't risk getting this.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
I'm supposed to go to a book convention mid April in Atlanta that is estimated to be at least 800 people minimum. Wife has been planning it for a year and is super excited cause she's been before and I was going this year. Now I'm getting nervous...
It's not happening, accept it now. I'm sorry but this will not blow over by next month.