• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
State of the market

June 2021 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories grew 5% when compared to a year ago, totaling $4.9 billion. First half 2021 consumer spending reached $28.9 billion, a 15% increase when compared to the same period in 2020.

Hardware was the growth driver in June. Hardware dollar sales increased 112% when compared to a year ago as PlayStation, Switch and Xbox console sales all gained.

Hardware

June video game hardware dollar sales jumped 112% when compared to June 2020, to $401M. This is the highest total achieved in a June month since 2008 ($617M). Year-to-date hardware consumer spending has increased 45% compared to 2020's first half, to $2.3B.

Xbox Series was the best-selling hardware platform in dollar sales for the month of June, while Nintendo Switch led in unit sales.

June dollar sales of Xbox consoles set a new record for the Xbox platform, besting the previous high set in June 2011.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform during 2021's first half in both dollar and unit sales.

PlayStation 5 remains the fastest unit selling console hardware platform in U.S. history (lifetime sales through 8 months in market, excluding portables).

Content

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
debuted as June's best-selling game, achieving the highest launch month dollar sales of any title in franchise history. Launch month dollar sales more than doubled those of the previous high, set by Ratchet & Clank in April 2016

Mario Golf: Super Rush launched as the 3rd best-selling game of June 2021. Launch month dollar sales were the highest ever achieved by a Mario Golf game. The previous high was set by Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, which launched for the Nintendo GameCube in July 2003.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 jumped from #51 in May to rank 17th on the June best-selling titles chart. The Switch version of the game was released in the U.S. during the month, accounting for most of the gains.

The June release of the A Pirate's Life content update helped push Sea of Thieves up from 36th a month ago back into the top 20 best-seller's chart. Sea of Thieves originally launched in March 2018

Software charts

E6a1sREVkAMHwou

E6a17jsUcAMhD61

E6a14pbVEAAUL_s

E6a11QiVgAUGh2Y

E6a1vTDVUAQxU_-

E6a1ypTVkAEuolA

Accessories

June 2021 spending on video game accessories fell 1% compared to a year ago, to $207 million. First half accessory sales reached $1.2 billion, an increase of 14% when compared to the same period in 2020.

Sony's DualSense Wireless Controller Midnight Black was the best-selling accessory of June 2021, while the DualSense Wireless Controller White led in first-half sales. Three of the top 4 best-selling accessories of June were DualSense Wireless Controllers.

Thanks to Mat Piscatella for the break down !

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looks like ratchet, mario golf and scarlet nexus had great debuts. congrats to xbox for having a great month too.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a good month for everyone, happy to see Xbox getting some success with both hardware and software.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch is selling so much it would make no sense to release a Switch Pro and handicap your own sales.
The Switch Pro or 2 will come when Switch sales slow down.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox had a great month for supply. GameStop and Amazon in particular were huge.

That June 2011 result was 507K Xbox 360's. ASP significantly lower though.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Great for Ratchet and Scarlett Nexus.

Genuinely good for Xbox too, shows the momentum the Series has. It's a stunning combination of hardware and services.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Kinda shocked about Scarlet Nexus. Bet Bandai are happy

It definitely has pretty good word of mouth going for it as well and is priced well on PC

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Great for Ratchet at #1!

Although not counted in NPD, I did my part with 2 Canadian copies.

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha, and some people here said Scarlet Nexus sold poorly before we got any data.

But congrats to the team behind that game. It's an excellent new IP, and given how well it sold both physically and digitally with only one week in June, I can't wait to see how much more stylish and fun it can get with a sequel.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Fantastic to see R&C top the charts, ps5 still maintaining that incredible lead and momentum over the competition, and the domination of sony accessories, 3 out of the top 4!

$70 price game haters in shambles, ooooof

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Ratchet looks to be deserved top spot for games, Mario Golf does not but I am part of the problem because I bought it.

This is a good month and hopefully many more like it where they are all doing good and people happy about all of them doing well.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Not bad for a game that is on a console that no one can still properly buy. Congrats to Insomniac.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Scarlet Nexus up there, and SOT sneaking on there is truly wild to see. That game has been an undeniable huge success, awesome.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
The Switch is selling so much it would make no sense to release a Switch Pro and handicap your own sales.
The Switch Pro or 2 will come when Switch sales slow down.

That's not really how it works.
You gotta always try to keep momentum, not wait for the moment is starts to slow down.

Which is exactly the reason there's still a new model coming soon even if it's one without performance improvements. Pandemic and chip shortages most probably made it so that Nintendo, like pretty much all other manufacturers, had to modify their plans.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
TL;DR : Records everywhere and for everyone
So good to see gaming doing so great. Now, if Sony and Xbox would solve the scalper issue, it would be perfect.
June dollar sales of Xbox consoles set a new record for the Xbox platform, besting the previous high set in June 2011.
Amazing to see, because Series X|S are very good consoles and I think Xbox turned their messaging and everything else around after the absymal Xbox One Vision under Mattrick.

Even more impressive when we consider there is supply constrains and without that and them putting consoles in the cloud, the numbers would be even higher.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart debuted as June's best-selling game, achieving the highest launch month dollar sales of any title in franchise history. Launch month dollar sales more than doubled those of the previous high, set by Ratchet & Clank in April 2016
Very happy for Insomniac about the success of the game. I look forward to the sequel and the franchise deserves more attention and I am happy they achieved that.

Sep 7, 2020
The industry continues to surge. I hope this continues. Good to see Xbox doing well too, especially with no big first party releases( not withstanding the new SOT content drop) until Flight Sim but after that, they should have new content every month.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Healthy market where all 3 are doing huge numbers, they could sell a lot more consoles if they were available!

Some PS5 stocks dropped this week in Europe, the stocks lasted less than 5 minutes.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha, and some people here said Scarlet Nexus sold poorly before we got any data.

But congrats to the team behind that game. It's an excellent new IP, and given how well it sold both physically and digitally with only one week in June, I can't wait to see how much more stylish and fun it can get with a sequel.
Weren't people just basing that on JP sales?

Game seems to be doing great in the west, very glad to see that, game's fun as fuck.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Great news for Rift Apart, outpacing 2016 is mighty impressive, hope to see more Ratchet, Clank and Rivet in the future, with Nefarious probably along for the ride as well.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Stock is obviously a big factor, but I wonder what impact Microsoft's E3 showing had on those hardware sales.

Their pipeline on Game Pass until the end of next year looks great, especially with Starfield and Redfall. A good showing for Halo and Forza Horizon may have had an impact too.