Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't make any sense? What?

Dude, both systems play video games. We, as a gaming community, should be embracing, not excluding (due to some console warrior superiority sales bullshit), gaming devices.

It does make sense that's why NPD separates them. You think NPD group are console warriors? My whole life of 39 years consoles and hand helds have been considered different. Do you equate a landline to a cellphone? Should they start including phones in the sales charts? They also play videogames. Apple and Samsung would be number one each month.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
It does make sense that's why NPD separates them. You think NPD group are console warriors? My whole life of 39 years consoles and hand helds have been considered different. Do you equate a landline to a cellphone? Should they start including phones in the sales charts? They also play videogames. Apple and Samsung would be number one each month.
The primary use for a phone isn't gaming, while a stationary and handheld console is.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017

Different how?

Your example makes zero sense and 100% takes away from the point you're trying to make. The primary use of a cell phone is not for gaming while a handheld or console is. That is the clear distinction you are missing.

Secondly, I'm older then you, and having actually worked retail during the PS1, N64, PC and Pokemon explosion of the mid-90's, folks were buying GTA1/2, Banjo, WWE NWO, Goldeneye, MGS, GTA 2, Diablo right along with Pokemon and a variety of Gameboy games for their systems. They were all gamers and there wasn't a clear distinction between any of them. Kids loved their PS1 AND Gameboy. Adults loved portable gaming AND their N64.

Your post honestly reeks of console games >>>>> handheld games, and it's been a stigma we as gamers, and our business has been fighting against for decades.

And lastly, NPD should absolutely amend their so rankings to include handheld devices.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I won't speak for that poster, but I assume they are referencing the discussion around potentially declining sales/interest with the $70 price tag, especially for a PS5 only game with no PS4 version. This does, at the very least, temper that 'argument' (for now, still early). It however, doesn't take away from any individuals issues with the price jump as a whole, which I agree with it being shitty.

Ratchet to me is a must have, sales for Returnal might support the argument price was a factor for a new game at that price and how quickly it fell from the charts.

Holy shit, it was many years ago that game came out.

Now that's a stretch! Who buys a Switch to do anything on it than play videogames? What a bizarre comparison (talking about mentioning cellphones and landlines?).

Probably the cost. Usually more people are apt to buying or can afford cheaper consoles such as handhelds.
Switch is attracting console sales as well though, that's the only way I play for example, and it's the same price as the Series S.

Considering the restocks worldwide, seems like Sony decided to forget the USA for one month since they were so far ahead anyway.
Must be a tough job to decide how many units you allocate for each country tbh.

I would bet this month the USA is going to be Sony's priority. I feel like we have been witnessing some restocks right? I'm not from the USA but I feel like I read some stuff on twitter from time to time.

Interesting story from someone at EB Games. He said Series Xbox comes in more often than PS5 and the PS5 might be 20 units or 200 units, they never know what they are going to get and it's more random than Series Xbox (this is in Canada, not sure about USA). Could be once a month they tget them or once every 3 months.

He also said Sony is very strict on making sure those pre-orders are sold right away, less than 48 hours after they get them into customers hands. That means they have to call right away, no answer and next person on the list.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Dude, both systems play video games. We, as a gaming community, should be embracing, not excluding (due to some console warrior superiority sales bullshit), gaming devices.

We can embrace all gaming devices and still understand NPD's reasoning for putting consoles and handhelds in different categories. Companies have tended to approach them as different things, too, thus concurrent console/handheld lines.

Not a matter of putting one above the other, either. Just keeping the comparison between apples and apples, oranges and oranges. Funny, I thought the distinction was accepted by pretty much everybody.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We can embrace all gaming devices and still understand NPD's reasoning for putting consoles and handhelds in different categories. Companies have tended to approach them as different things, too, thus concurrent console/handheld lines.

Not a matter of putting one above the other, either. Just keeping the comparison between apples and apples, oranges and oranges. Funny, I thought the distinction was accepted by pretty much everybody.

When you're talking about sales though why is there a distinction? Handheld consoles and home consoles are in no way apples to oranges, it's more like red delicious apples to gala apples. Both apples, slightly different size, color and flavor.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Nice performance by Ratchet. More than double the sales (in dollars) of Ratchet 2016, which tells me it is either right around the same number of units or possibly even more as the PS4 title. That's with a much smaller user base and almost double the price.

Wow. Not bad for a series who's heyday was 3 generations ago.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
When you're talking about sales though why is there a distinction? Handheld consoles and home consoles are in no way apples to oranges, it's more like red delicious apples to gala apples. Both apples, slightly different size, color and flavor.

I like your example, and it better explains my feelings on the matter. Strictly speaking sales here, both are consoles, yet one is classified as a handheld console, so why the distinction?

I think it comes down to marketing all the way back from when Sega positioned the Game Gear as a "grown-up" option compared to the Game Boy. And Sony followed suit with the same type of marketing for their PSP.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Wouldn't sales be where the distinction matters most? They're different product lines, straight up. Tailored to have different appeals, price points, even audiences to some degree.

Are some under the impression that the blurb about the PS5's sales was excluding the Switch, too? Because it wasn't.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Different how?

Your example makes zero sense and 100% takes away from the point you're trying to make. The primary use of a cell phone is not for gaming while a handheld or console is. That is the clear distinction you are missing.

Secondly, I'm older then you, and having actually worked retail during the PS1, N64, PC and Pokemon explosion of the mid-90's, folks were buying GTA1/2, Banjo, WWE NWO, Goldeneye, MGS, GTA 2, Diablo right along with Pokemon and a variety of Gameboy games for their systems. They were all gamers and there wasn't a clear distinction between any of them. Kids loved their PS1 AND Gameboy. Adults loved portable gaming AND their N64.

Your post honestly reeks of console games >>>>> handheld games, and it's been a stigma we as gamers, and our business has been fighting against for decades.

And lastly, NPD should absolutely amend their so rankings to include handheld devices.

Where did I mention anything about the games being different or Superior or inferior? I think those whining about hand helds and consoles being in different sales categories are the ones with the issues and projecting on to others.
I'll ask again are cellphones and landlines the same? One market is significantly larger and different than the other.
Also most people don't use their cellphones for talking. A cellphone is primarily an entertainment device for most people hence the drive towards larger screens. The biggest games in the world are playable on cellphones. It seems it is you who has a bias against cell phone gaming.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't sales be where the distinction matters most? They're different product lines, straight up. Tailored to have different appeals, price points, even audiences to some degree.

Are some under the impression that the blurb about the PS5's sales was excluding the Switch, too? Because it wasn't.

You could say the same thing about the Wii vs the PS3 or 360, different product line with different appeal, price point, and audience. But it's still counted with home consoles. The distinction is entirely arbitrary.

We know the reason for the blurb was about the GBA, not the Switch, the issue is just that it still makes no sense to separate them like that.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Home console, handheld, VR are different classifications for hardware because... they are different.

Don't know why it's an issue. Is GBA a home console? No.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
You could say the same thing about the Wii vs the PS3 or 360, different product line with different appeal, price point, and audience. But it's still counted with home consoles. The distinction is entirely arbitrary.

We know the reason for the blurb was about the GBA, not the Switch, the issue is just that it still makes no sense to separate them like that.

It's not arbitrary at all, though. It's based on the fact that, historically, companies have marketed consoles and handhelds as separate product lines that are intended to coexist with one another and compete in different spaces. ("Product line," in this context, I mean to be a within-a-given-brand thing. Wii vs. PS3 wouldn't count. Not that this matters much, just clarifying.)

Plus, for all the differences between consoles, between handhelds, distinguishing those two categories is still useful in a number of ways: it accurately captures that consoles and handhelds have distinct traditions within these companies, it creates a steadier point of comparison (yeah, Wii was a pretty different beast from the PS3, but 1) Nintendo was at least answering the same question of what would make a successful console and 2) unsurprisingly, it was still a much closer point of comparison than the DS), and it's just a solid way to additionally organize devices within a given generation.

You don't need to distinguish them. Comparing consoles and handhelds can be interesting and useful, too. But it makes sense to do so in this context.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Or they did and Xbox just shipped more anyway?

Your post is the same as mine. Basically who ships more sells more. That's how these 2 consoles are at right now.

It's not impressive for now. Impressive is watching Switch at #1 for over 30 months. That blows my mind honestly.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
so interesting how high mass effect and MW2019 are on xbox but aren't in the top 10 on playstation

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Your post is the same as mine. Basically who ships more sells more. That's how these 2 consoles are at right now.

It's not impressive for now. Impressive is watching Switch at #1 for over 30 months. That blows my mind honestly.
I think is just that your comment came as pretty defensive when that user was simply surprised seeing Xbox sell more since that rarely happens

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

Your post reads like Sony shipped low. I was saying they could have shipped a lot.

Semantics and all that

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

What the hell? I was simply replying why the NPD classifies home console in a different category (at least why i think they are doing it, which makes absolutely sense in this particular case). I absolutely embrace every type of gaming devices.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

bonch00ski

Oct 25, 2017
it's one of the best games on xbox, they've done a good job giving it regular updates for years, and you can't play it on any other console
It is an amazing and very unique racing game. Nothing like it out there.
I also think alot of new Xbox gamers are jumping in for the first time getting ready for FH5.
It's a brilliant game that's why 😂
lol

How? Why shouldn't it be?

I should have clarified…

That statement was more of shock that a game almost 3 years old on Gamepass for years managed to chart. The game is fucking awesome I'm just surprised at this.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Xbox had lots of h/w pilfed for xcloud too. Good stuff by everyone.

this growth will support steam deck i hope

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
So
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart debuted as June's best-selling game, achieving the highest launch month dollar sales of any title in franchise history. Launch month dollar sales more than doubled those of the previous high, set by Ratchet & Clank in April 2016
This could mean Rift Apart got anywhere between lets say 2.01x to 2.99x dollar sales of R&C 2016 right? More than doubled, but not enough to say tripled :p

R&C 2016 = 222k * $40 = $ 8.88m at least. (data from the first page)
min for Rift Apart = $8.88m * 2.01x / $70 price = ~255k units.
max for Rift Apart = $8.88m * 2.99x / $70 price = ~379k units.

I guess the number is somewhere in between lol. Not sure if the 2016 number is retail only or includes digital though.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Press Releases Archives

The NPD Group is a leading provider of consumer and retail information, insights, analytics and solutions. For more than 40 years, we have been the single source for reliable consumer behavior data that helps our clients make smart business decisions.