• York

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus christ lmao, when you put it like that...

Even Toys for Bob which is Acti's smallest studio is bigger than a third of what MS already owned.

Eh, that's not what it says though, Toys for Bob is like 200 heads

But yeah. The consolidation war is the new console war.

To go back on topic... They may reach the number of devs needed for a One Piece AAA!

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
200.gif

Sakon, hello! Congrats on catching up. As a reward, who doesn't love lists?

Favorite Straw Hat Pirate
Favorite Non-Straw Hat Pirate/Outlaw
Favorite Marine
Favorite Villain/Antagonist/Opponent (can be the same as one of the two above)
Favorite Arc
Favorite Location
Favorite Punch

Looking forward to your answers!
Favorite Straw Hat Pirate: Zoro
I love that he doesn't say much, and a lot of the time he's just chilling or sleeping, but when shit matters he's always there to help his crew. He's got an attitude and can seem like a meathead, but that only makes his stand-out moments even more impactful. His loyalty to Luffy is respectable. He was, after all, the first person to join Luffy's crew. It also helps that he's a swordsman. And fights with three swords. I mean, c'mon… What's not to love?!

Favorite Non-Straw Hat Pirate: Shanks
This dude shows up in the first chapter of the manga, then doesn't show up for a loooooong time. I did not expect the story to play out the way it did in terms of its slower pacing. I'm pretty sure any other mainstream shonen wouldn't have the audacity to spread out the character reveals the way One Piece does. What we're left with is an insane buildup throughout the whole series where I'm constantly wondering what this guy's deal is in terms of power, but also his motivations/affiliation. We catch brief glimpses of his strength and influence throughout the story, but then we finally see him in action against Kid, and the result is swift, satisfying and hype as hell. I loved seeing this dude's portrait at the start of every single One Piece Volume, yet knowing next to nothing about him. There is a mystery to him, and I can only imagine what the emotional payoff is gonna be with him and Luffy 🥲

Favorite Most hated Marine - Sakazuki
One Piece is filled with goofy characters but I'm glad this dude is played completely straight. They really make you hate this guy. Murdering innocent men, women and children on Ohara and killing Ace. God damn. I love the visual of him and Kuzan fighting on Punk Hazard over the position of fleet admiral (even though we never see it). Someone, please take him down! >:( (Sabo, the flame-flame fruit is yours. You know what to do!)

Favorite Villain: Doflamingo
I heard bad things about Dressrosa's pacing, so I was surprised this ended up being one of my favorite arcs. (Let me just say I'm glad I read the manga). Having a compelling villain helps. One Piece had some good villains up to that point but Doflamingo takes first prize for me. He has a great presence and a messed up backstory. His worldview is fucked and serves as a perfect foil to Luffy's. Seeing Dofy at Marineford I never would have guessed the impact he would have in the story.

Side note: One of my biggest problems with One Piece is too many characters(villains especially) not dying or surviving when they clearly should've died. Doflamingo is no exception, but part of me is still excited to see him get out of Impel Down and fuck shit up lol. Battling against Celestial Dragons, or siding with them, perhaps? Anything can happen.

Favorite Arc: Whole Cake Island (this answer changes every week)
This is almost impossible to answer. One Piece is filled with great arcs, and they have both highs and lows. There are the legendary ones like Water Seven/Enies Lobby and the Sabaody/Impel Down/Marineford combo, but my personal favorite might be Whole Cake Island because of the personal stakes and it made me really feel for Sanji. I fucking hated the nosebleed AOOOOOGA shtick, so he was never one of my favorite characters. This single arc changed my perception of him. It was nice to see how much he was willing to sacrifice for his crew's safety and we also got to learn about his family backstory. Luffy and Sanji's confrontation made me emotional. After hundreds of chapters these people start to feel like your friends. Luffy vs Katakuri was epic as well.

Favorite Location: Wano
There are many otherworldly locations in OP, but I just loved the traditional vibes of Wano. I could hear the Japanese instruments in my head as I read, and the percussion during fights. I loved spending time here and getting to know the samurai. It's impossible not to feel connected to this place after spending so many chapters there.

Favorite Punch: Celestial Dragon punch
The repercussions were severe, but we all wanted him to do it. It's like the quintessential Luffy moment.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
It's impossible not to feel connected to this place after spending so many chapters there.
For some (in this thread even), the length was one of the reasons they disliked Wano as an island lol

On the other hand, I'd argue Wano was underused as an island. We spent way too much time on Onigashima which was just a glorified battlefield completely removed from Wano itself. Onigashima was about as interesting as the water surrounding Fishman Island in the Hody fight.
So in the end, really, we spent like 60 chapters on Wano (Oden's flashback was the last time we spent time in mainland Wano until the epilogue). That's about as much time as other major arc islands (Alabasta, Skypiea, Water 7) and significantly less than Dressrosa and Whole Cake Island.

Jun 9, 2023
Just finished FF16

This has nothing to do with the story, I'm just really sad now. Like, I'm sad it's over. Really sad, I loved the characters and now it's done. Now what?

Am I weird for being this depressed after finishing a game haha

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I knew it was coming but goddamn he's so fucking awesome. He's basically soloing the whole island by himself while trying to protect Coby and other Marines at the same time. If this is the end, well, it was a fun ride.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the most cohesive Square game I've played in like 20 years. Just simple, with great characters.

I just feel weird and empty right now, like I want to keep going but the game ended haha. So now I'm like, walking around my house upset and bored lol.

Lol! I know what you mean. FromSoft games get me like that. Same with Persona and Yakuza. After I beat one of them, nothing else tickles that part of my brain til the next one comes out.

I get over the mental block ofc, but some series just cater to my taste in a particular way and only *those* series will fulfill it.

May as well go for the plat in 16.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the grand scheme of things, how popular/iconic do you see G5 being when it comes to shonen transformations?

As much as I prefer OP over DBZ, SSJ is a stone cold classic.

Will G5 be the next big transformation in shonen?

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
In the grand scheme of things, how popular/iconic do you see G5 being when it comes to shonen transformations?

It's gonna be the biggest thing since Ultra Instinct for sure. It is also unique enough to make an impression. At the very least it's going to be THE Luffy transformation everyone thinks of going forward

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
For some (in this thread even), the length was one of the reasons they disliked Wano as an island lol
To me it just felt good reading the arc without having to wait for any chapters. That might have killed me lol. I guess I'm about to find out what that feels like from now on after having caught up 🥲I love reading people's differing opinions. Like I loved Fishman Island, for instance, but I have since found out a lot of people find it weak, the fuck? 😂

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be the biggest thing since Ultra Instinct for sure. It is also unique enough to make an impression. At the very least it's going to be THE Luffy transformation everyone thinks of going forward

Yeah I think the idea of it is enough to separate it from shonen contemporaries. How many other manga has a power up that feels adjacent to looney tunes? There can't be that many, are there?

Oct 25, 2017

People still remark how going G2 was a landmark moment for OP. I was there for G4/Snakeman as anime-only, but I don't really recall any hype leading up to them, not like this. I think with the much bigger momentum OP has these days as we head into the finale, the multimedia presence, ON TOP of the hype for G5... I can't say if it will top SSJ/2, but this is definitely going to make anime history with the production values that episode will have.

It also turns the shonen trope of "stronger form = more badass looking" on its head with how silly it is. That alone will have it stand out amongst all other shonen forms, let alone his other gears which more or less follow the same formula.

Oct 25, 2017

Getting the bias of being in a one piece thread out the way….
It won't touch ssj but it will be nice for one piece fans it'll be luffys new iconic look and it'll generate hype. I don't think it'll be a generation icon or anything of that nature

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Agree, I love both series but Super Saiyan is on its own level. I don't see Gear 5 hitting that but I've seen stranger things

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Favorite Straw Hat Pirate: Zoro
I love that he doesn't say much, and a lot of the time he's just chilling or sleeping, but when shit matters he's always there to help his crew. He's got an attitude and can seem like a meathead, but that only makes his stand-out moments even more impactful. His loyalty to Luffy is respectable. He was, after all, the first person to join Luffy's crew. It also helps that he's a swordsman. And fights with three swords. I mean, c'mon… What's not to love?!

Favorite Non-Straw Hat Pirate: Shanks
This dude shows up in the first chapter of the manga, then doesn't show up for a loooooong time. I did not expect the story to play out the way it did in terms of its slower pacing. I'm pretty sure any other mainstream shonen wouldn't have the audacity to spread out the character reveals the way One Piece does. What we're left with is an insane buildup throughout the whole series where I'm constantly wondering what this guy's deal is in terms of power, but also his motivations/affiliation. We catch brief glimpses of his strength and influence throughout the story, but then we finally see him in action against Kid, and the result is swift, satisfying and hype as hell. I loved seeing this dude's portrait at the start of every single One Piece Volume, yet knowing next to nothing about him. There is a mystery to him, and I can only imagine what the emotional payoff is gonna be with him and Luffy 🥲

Favorite Most hated Marine - Sakazuki
One Piece is filled with goofy characters but I'm glad this dude is played completely straight. They really make you hate this guy. Murdering innocent men, women and children on Ohara and killing Ace. God damn. I love the visual of him and Kuzan fighting on Punk Hazard over the position of fleet admiral (even though we never see it). Someone, please take him down! >:( (Sabo, the flame-flame fruit is yours. You know what to do!)

Favorite Villain: Doflamingo
I heard bad things about Dressrosa's pacing, so I was surprised this ended up being one of my favorite arcs. (Let me just say I'm glad I read the manga). Having a compelling villain helps. One Piece had some good villains up to that point but Doflamingo takes first prize for me. He has a great presence and a messed up backstory. His worldview is fucked and serves as a perfect foil to Luffy's. Seeing Dofy at Marineford I never would have guessed the impact he would have in the story.

Side note: One of my biggest problems with One Piece is too many characters(villains especially) not dying or surviving when they clearly should've died. Doflamingo is no exception, but part of me is still excited to see him get out of Impel Down and fuck shit up lol. Battling against Celestial Dragons, or siding with them, perhaps? Anything can happen.

Favorite Arc: Whole Cake Island (this answer changes every week)
This is almost impossible to answer. One Piece is filled with great arcs, and they have both highs and lows. There are the legendary ones like Water Seven/Enies Lobby and the Sabaody/Impel Down/Marineford combo, but my personal favorite might be Whole Cake Island because of the personal stakes and it made me really feel for Sanji. I fucking hated the nosebleed AOOOOOGA shtick, so he was never one of my favorite characters. This single arc changed my perception of him. It was nice to see how much he was willing to sacrifice for his crew's safety and we also got to learn about his family backstory. Luffy and Sanji's confrontation made me emotional. After hundreds of chapters these people start to feel like your friends. Luffy vs Katakuri was epic as well.

There are many otherworldly locations in OP, but I just loved the traditional vibes of Wano. I could hear the Japanese instruments in my head as I read, and the percussion during fights. I loved spending time here and getting to know the samurai. It's impossible not to feel connected to this place after spending so many chapters there.

Favorite Punch: Celestial Dragon punch
The repercussions were severe, but we all wanted him to do it. It's like the quintessential Luffy moment.
Ah fellow Wano location enjoyer I see! We ended up seeing a lot of really nice and varied locations in this arc with the different domains on Wano and some cool rooms in Onigaighima. Felt like we were somewhere new every 10 chapters and it only stopped once we hit Onigaishima due to so many events happening on the roof and performance hall.

I don't think it'll touch Super Saiyan since that one's too entrenched. If the anime absolutely smashes it out of the park, then I could see it as being one of the more iconic SJ transformations to people. They key pose for gear 5 that we saw for its full body reveal with Luffy laughing was absolutely fire though and that pose might be one of my favorites for any transformation in the medium lol.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I read Dragon Ball recently and was funny how SSJ was this mythical thing nobody was sure existed, but suddenly everyone had it including kids

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone remembers the middle powerup

Think of Ichigo and Naruto

ANd you think of Ichigo's bankai and Naruto's Sage Mode

Trust me i am something of a powerup expert

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Just finished FF16

This has nothing to do with the story, I'm just really sad now. Like, I'm sad it's over. Really sad, I loved the characters and now it's done. Now what?

Am I weird for being this depressed after finishing a game haha
Nakama, I've been suffering a major depressive episode ever since I finished TOTK last week. Nothing makes me happy anymore

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Ultra Instinct isn't as iconic as Super Saiyan, but fuck it I'll call that it's a better transformation.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised people even bother watching something they vehemently dislike beyond the first few episodes.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I've been feeling so depressed lately, I didn't want to do anything except stay in bed. Playing video games felt like such a chore. I decided on a whim to download and play a bit of Sonic Mania. I haven't really loved any Sonic game but I wanted something arcade-y.

spirited-away-spirited.gif

Goddam food for my soul. Bright, colourful and happy. I feel like crying. This is exactly what I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.