• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
That's really because chronically online shonen fans love dick-measuring their favorite parts of their manga without regard to context.
You can compare things without trying to shit on one or the other. At the end of the day G5 does some new stuff for a transformation and it stands out, but just because Luffy is copying Bugs Bunny don't make it more than what it is. It's not above that level of comparison

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Me too, Clive especially is one hell of a man

I remember watching ToP weekly as it was airing, the online community around it was like an actual sporting event it was insane. Plus all the videos of people gathering in public for some episodes lol. It's one of my favorite anime memories. DBS did a lot of good.
Yea it really did feel like it ascended into sports level of online discussion. You actually had to be there to feel the excitement for the last few episodes people were obsessed.

We went through so many threads
Took over the dang site at times if it was a good episode. Shout out to reaction threads coming up as soon as episodes were over (defeating the purpose of an OT) that immediately spoiled who got kicked out.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
It doesn't really make him noticeable physically stronger or faster. That's why there was an emphasis on Ryuo and Advanced Conquers Haki. He's combining all that with the ability to turn organic and non-organic matter into rubber.
Luffy went from getting bodied by Kaido to his rubbery body being able to take hits from Kaido's kanabo. His durability shot up. Idk how you can say that's not noticeable

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I would honestly be surprised if Gear 5 didn't also boost his attack power. You can see Luffy tank hits in gear 5 that he couldn't take in his base form. If all his stats aren't getting a buff I'd be really thrown off.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Speaking of One Piece back in chapter 1069 Sakazuki has mentioned that he wished "those brats had talked to us first" when discussing Vegapunk getting Luffy to Egghead island. Makes me
Curious what he wanted out of that talk. Would he have tried to get the government to call off the hit on vegapunk if he knew someone would try to grab them?

Granted it's all predicated on the fact that Starw Hats didn't have a plan nor did they even know where they were going to next after Wano lol.

Oct 26, 2017
You can compare things without trying to shit on one or the other. At the end of the day G5 does some new stuff for a transformation and it stands out, but just because Luffy is copying Bugs Bunny don't make it more than what it is. It's not above that level of comparison

The comparison by itself isn't the problem. It's usually done with negative, toxic intentions. People end up taking things too seriously.

Luffy went from getting bodied by Kaido to his rubbery body being able to take hits from Kaido's kanabo. His durability shot up. Idk how you can say that's not noticeable
He was already taking hits from Kaido pre-G5. The only difference with G5 is that he took the hits and (literally) bounced back. In fact, most of the hits were treated as comedic because of the cartoon nature of the awakening.

I've seen people try to argue that it's not Toon Force.
Luffy spawning a pair of goggles out of his hair in his rematch with Lucci says otherwise.

I mean, there are layers to Toon Force. We haven't seen Luffy acknowledge or break the fourth wall yet. We haven't seen him break the manga panels or stretch outside of them and interact with a completely different panel.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Ultra Instinct was much more hype when it felt like a technique rather than a transformation, after the first time it basically devolve in the usual DBZ style "oh look how much stronger and faster it is, and let the peanut gallery reminds us every single time". The most memorable thing about it is the insert song.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Gear 5 is gonna be on the level of Ultra Instinct and that's it. The difference though is UI came out of nowhere. Gear 5 not only has been everywhere but if people somehow avoided it they had others hinting that something wild is gonna happen so they're fucked either way.

As dope as it is, I think people are overhyped themselves like they've always overhyped themselves. Like people are expecting Luffy to literally be in some 1920s Steamboat Willie stuff with current animation.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't understand why people care if One Piece or Dragon Ball is more popular

I mean I do understand but it's dumb lmao

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I think people are underestimating how huge of a difference it's going to have with motion and sound effects, like sure Gear 5 is not a complete surprise at this point, but the vast majority of non-manga readers have just seen some images of Luffy with standing white hair (which I suspect is the reason for a lot of the dumb Super Saiyan comparisons)

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Gear 5 is gonna be on the level of Ultra Instinct and that's it. The difference though is UI came out of nowhere. Gear 5 not only has been everywhere but if people somehow avoided it they had others hinting that something wild is gonna happen so they're fucked either way.

As dope as it is, I think people are overhyped themselves like they've always overhyped themselves. Like people are expecting Luffy to literally be in some 1920s Steamboat Willie stuff with current animation.
Yeap mhmm. That's what I want and while I know that what I'll get is probably going to be cool I also know that it's kinda unlikely that that's what I'll get. So I'm just trying to look forward to a well-animated beatdown.

Reminds me of how excited I was to see Gear 4 animated for the first time... and it fell short for me, mainly because the soundscape I imagined for it wasn't the soundscape that we got. King Kong Gun? I thought that shit should sound like a balloon rubbing against itself. I was incredibly convinced. Instead, we got ratcheting sounds. Sounds I know I've heard in other anime. And Dragon Ball sounds, too. I'd hoped punches would sound like basketballs (although I was at least pleased that Luffy's bounces kinda did).

Speaking of, never underestimate the power of soundscape...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upsm3E2NUI8

That shit is half the reason people loved Ultra Instinct tbh. The anime kept tellin y'all that the saiyans were as gods but this track made you feel it

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Same. I beat it yesterday and I feel empty, miss all the characters.
The "party" is just so so good. I know it's not a traditional FF party but I can definitely envision one lol

That shit is half the reason people loved Ultra Instinct tbh. The anime kept tellin y'all that the saiyans were as gods but this track made you feel it

I would argue the track is even more famous than the form lol. The amount of people who have shown me a tiktok with that song..

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
UI was way cooler as an "enhanced" form of base Goku than another hair color transformation

But I'll be here all day if I complain about Super

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Yea it really did feel like it ascended into sports level of online discussion. You actually had to be there to feel the excitement for the last few episodes people were obsessed.
The kamehameha grind was like a 3 at the buzzer for the win, just insane levels of hype online lol

Oct 26, 2017
I don't hate Super. I liked it a lot actually.

It just further exposed some of the weaknesses of modern Dragon Ball that I'm not a fan of.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
We are almost out of break month
KI5D1zC.gif

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
The movie arcs are awfully paced but the rest of Super is pretty cool. The tournament was good, with iconic moments towards the end.

The fact we still don't have a sequel series is baffling.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Young Kuzan putting the same dents Garp was.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeap mhmm. That's what I want and while I know that what I'll get is probably going to be cool I also know that it's kinda unlikely that that's what I'll get. So I'm just trying to look forward to a well-animated beatdown.

Reminds me of how excited I was to see Gear 4 animated for the first time... and it fell short for me, mainly because the soundscape I imagined for it wasn't the soundscape that we got. King Kong Gun? I thought that shit should sound like a balloon rubbing against itself. I was incredibly convinced. Instead, we got ratcheting sounds. Sounds I know I've heard in other anime. And Dragon Ball sounds, too. I'd hoped punches would sound like basketballs (although I was at least pleased that Luffy's bounces kinda did).

Gear 5 w thisis going to be hype

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxDgMHtQuLw

btw scan are out in spanish

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
This was used for Advanced Conquerors. I think it'll be an entire new track.

Damn, that's incredible. How long did this take you?
When everything is done it'll have my childhood sets from late 80s/early 90's. Many bricks from the 60/70s are used in the bases. Ships have been built for about 8 years before I ran out of shelf space, so the last 5 years started getting the diorama started. 12 more ships to add.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/W2F0wuU

Last edited:

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017

The music will go a long way and it better be good.

Oct 26, 2017
When everything is done it'll have my childhood sets from late 80s/early 90's. Many bricks from the 60/70s are used in the bases. Ships have been built for about 8 years before I ran out of shelf space, so the last 5 years started getting the diorama started. 12 more ships to add.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/W2F0wuU

I'm so envious that you have enough space for something like that.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.