Status
Not open for further replies.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
image0.png

Damn,it's big! 😮
Good. That means they didn't skimp on their tech. Lmao. We complain about wanting smaller consoles but the trade off is weaker CPUs etc. this makes sense as the first iteration just as the XSX is large as well. We are in for a good generation.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Everything ever made has a flaw.
limitations. Everything ever made has a limitation. Not necessarily a flaw. Two different things.

RROD was a flaw. Going with separate pools of RAM in the PS3 was a flaw. Using DDR3 in the XB1 was a flaw.

With these upcoming next gen consoles, I can't think of a single thing that is a flaw about them, I can see limitations, but not something that I feel is "wrong" about any of the choices they have made. These are both very well-made pieces of tech.

Well... if when they launch we start seeing system failure for one reason or the other then I would revise what I just said now.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
LMAO!!!!!!

This waste leak that was to be if that show was postponed by as much as 2 weeks lol. As we said, sony had to show it or not stuff like this would start making the rounds.

I hope they leak the hell out of it. So should have known better than to still be drip-feeding info on the hardware if its in mass production already.

It would be funny if our first glimpse of the backs from leaks like these.

Assuming this is actually a leak these guys posing with the thing for a pic seem very comfortable.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I think I got my mockup side dimension just about right lol :P
Now just to find out whether my guess for the back shape is right or wrong haha

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
As I said before everything ever made has a flaw. I believe PS5 had more compared to it's competition.

Of course you do.

Were you referencing the twitter conspiracy about RT not being related to clock speed and XSX having a 44% advantage because someone simply counted the CUs btw? The stuff that was literally, LITERALLY just made up nonsense?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Variable clocks on a console, 36 CUs when AMD RT is more reliant on CUs than clock speed, having the same bandwidth as a 5700 when you now have to share said bandwidth with the CPU and RT.
This is pure conjecture. You have nothing to back this up as some flaw. And you clearly don't understand how the clocks work.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I do own both, but I do prefer Xbox.

Does not make my point invalid.

variable clocks aren't like pc variable clocks. They're a way of making more use out of the headroom available rather than fixing at a lower baseline. If you've been following the thread thereare some excellent explanations and some hopefully thread marked.

can you share the AMD RT documentation as I don't recall it being made public and actually AMD haven't shown much in detail about it yet. I'd be particularly interested in the let that explains why it doesn't scale with both CUs and frequency like regular ALU operations which is what your comment implies

lower bandwidth is true but hopefully careful use of efficiencies like compression may help. But RT is also memory bandwidth hungry so it might be an issue. But then the BW/TF is about the same as XSX so maybe they'll have similar issues

Musician

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I think I got my mockup side dimension just about right lol :P
Now just to find out whether my guess for the back shape is right or wrong haha

Nice! Might i suggest adding something for scale?

Looking at the guy in the picture, the console looks to have some heft as well, doesn't it? The way he leans away from it like that.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Do we know the height of these guys? I mean no offense, but the size is really relative here.
I think shoes might be a better give away or estimating the guys watch for scale. I think those guys are wearing at least a size 8 shoe.

And me making a huge guess and eye balling it it looks like the system is 20 x 10 in size.

about as long as Sony's 1st blu ray player. But narrower.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
didnt they manufacturer some of the ps4 units in Japan? Wonder how many of the launch allotment get made there vs China.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think shoes might be a better give away or estimating the guys watch for scale. I think those guys are wearing at least a size 8 shoe.

And me making a huge guess and eye balling it it looks like the system is 20 x 10 in size.

about as long as Sony's 1st blu ray player. But narrower.
Naaaa man... no way its 20" tall.

14" - 15" at worst.

Again, this is one of those areas that sony could have just released a simple blog post for, with dimensions and pictures of everything. But nooooooo.... they've got us counting bananas and shoe sizes.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
What dimension in inches are you giving it?
38cm x 24cm x 10cm I think, just eyeballed from the USB/disc drive comparison pic we have and the renders we got.

Nice! Might i suggest adding something for scale?

Looking at the guy in the picture, the console looks to have some heft as well, doesn't it? The way he leans away from it like that.
Actually I did create a comparison in some older thread, lemme see if I can find it. Weight is gonna be 5 kilos or more I guess :P

UAyFhuG.png

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naaaa man... no way its 20" tall.

14" - 15" at worst.

Again, this is one of those areas that sony could have just released a simple blog post for, with dimensions and pictures of everything. But nooooooo.... they've got us counting bananas and shoe sizes.
I have the dimensions at: 344.4 x 87 x 162 mm. The depth is calculated through a different picture and is possibly wrong.
I calculated it with the usb ports, 27.7 x 7.25 x 13.5 usb ports

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Now they're saying the photo could be fake? lol. Sony should just come out with the official dimension already!
I know driving me nuts. I just saw someone else say that. Honestly I think it's between 13-15 inches (33- 38 cm) long and 7-9 inches (17-23 cm) wide and 4 inches (10cm) high.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
lol

Yeah, for the PS5 we need concrete confirmation. Good to hear anyway. To me, Sony just doesn't go into detail about every lil thing.
Its the fault of the naysayers.

Its like sony says they have tires on a car but because they didn't specify they are round people start saying they are square.

VR, RT, VRR are known to be part of RDNA2. So why they wouldn't be part of the PS5 is beyond me.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Ever since the initial tech PS5 deep dive I've been looking for rather close comparisons between graphics cards with a similar gap in compute units, memory bandwidth and clocks, preferably on the same architecture and while this latest one is imperfect and possibly not very applicable to PS5 and XSX, it may be the closest "match" I've seen so far. What I want to know is why Sony chose higher clocks vs more CUs since every single GPU architecture out there scales with CUs instead of clocks. Meaning a lower clocked GPU with more CUs always beats a higher clocked GPU with less CUs on the same architecture (see 2070 Max-Q vs. 2070 Max-Q Super to a shocking degree).

Basically I'm looking for a real life example that makes the decision viable and that hasn't happened so far. I want to say that despite that fact that I drop the name of the XSX a bunch I don't want to make that the centerpiece or the point of this post, I just want to get into Cerny's head when it comes to the decision to roll with 36 CUs and crazy high clocks and I need a more grounded and traditional Danny Glover to compare this Mel Gibson of a console to. This is about approaches and the decisions that led to them not necessarily about a power difference.

Well anyway, the comparison is:

The 16'' MacBook Pro 5500m 8GB vs the 16'' MacBook Pro 5600m 8GB

Ways in which the comparison works:

- same architecture (RDNA1)
- same thermal envelope for both GPUs and both GPUs also have the same 50 TDP limit
- CPU performance doesn't get in the way since it's an additional GPU option for the existing MacBook Pro and the CPU options are the same
- similar CU difference compared to PS5 vs XSX (24 vs 40)
- similar clock difference compared to PS5 vs XSX (1300 Mhz vs 1035 Mhz)

Ways in which the comparison doesn't work:

- HBM2 memory on the 5600m makes a huge difference and RDNA 1 scales extremely well with increased memory bandwith which distorts the comparison as there isn't such a big difference in memory bandwidth between PS5 and XSX
- this isn't RDNA 2 and RDNA 2 might scale better with increased clocks than with more CUs, since this is the direct predecessor of RDNA 2 on the same 7nm process it might still be as good as it gets right now
- games aren't specifically made to take advantage of the increased clocks vs more natural scaling in the PC space with more CUs

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Ever since the initial tech PS5 deep dive I've been looking for rather close comparisons between graphics cards with a similar gap in compute units, memory bandwidth and clocks, preferably on the same architecture and while this latest one is imperfect and possibly not very applicable to PS5 and XSX, it may be the closest "match" I've seen so far. What I want to know is why Sony chose higher clocks vs more CUs since every single GPU architecture out there scales with CUs instead of clocks. Meaning a lower clocked GPU with more CUs always beats a higher clocked GPU with less CUs on the same architecture (see 2070 Max-Q vs. 2070 Max-Q Super to a shocking degree).

Basically I'm looking for a real life example that makes the decision viable and that hasn't happened so far. I want to say that despite that fact that I drop the name of the XSX a bunch I don't want to make that the centerpiece or the point of this post, I just want to get into Cerny's head when it comes to the decision to roll with 36 CUs and crazy high clocks and I need a more grounded and traditional Danny Glover to compare this Mel Gibson of a console to. This is about approaches and the decisions that led to them not necessarily about a power difference.

Well anyway, the comparison is:

The 16'' MacBook Pro 5500m 8GB vs the 16'' MacBook Pro 5600m 8GB

Ways in which the comparison works:

- same architecture (RDNA1)
- same thermal envelope for both GPUs and both GPUs also have the same 50 TDP limit
- CPU performance doesn't get in the way since it's an additional GPU option for the existing MacBook Pro and the CPU options are the same
- similar CU difference compared to PS5 vs XSX (24 vs 40)
- similar clock difference compared to PS5 vs XSX (1300 Mhz vs 1035 Mhz)

Ways in which the comparison doesn't work:

- HBM2 memory on the 5600m makes a huge difference and RDNA 1 scales extremely well with increased memory bandwith which distorts the comparison as there isn't such a big difference in memory bandwidth between PS5 and XSX
- this isn't RDNA 2 and RDNA 2 might scale better with increased clocks than with more CUs, since this is the direct predecessor of RDNA 2 on the same 7nm process it might still be as good as it gets right now
- games aren't specifically made to take advantage of the increased clocks vs more natural scaling in the PC space with more CUs

Your off the shelf GPU isn't designed to clock much higher than its stock frequencies.

Sony didn't just take a 36CU GPU and clock it to thy kingdom come. The chip would have been specifically designed t scale properly it's targeted locks.

If you takes normal GPU, and clock it stupidly high, throttling would likely be your the biggest impairment to performance.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Your off the shelf GPU isn't designed to clock much higher than its stock frequencies.

Sony didn't just take a 36CU GPU and clock it to thy kingdom come. The chip would have been specifically designed t scale properly it's targeted locks.

If you takes normal GPU, and clock it stupidly high, throttling would likely be your the biggest impairment to performance.

This is true and it's also what makes comparisons so difficult. There are lots of fast and narrow vs slow and wide comparisons out there for RDNA 1 and Turing cards but I don't think any of them go for the same approach as PS5. I guess I'll just have to accept that we'll have to wait for launch to get a good idea about the pay off for this approach.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This is true and it's also what makes comparisons so difficult. There are lots of fast and narrow vs slow and wide comparisons out there for RDNA 1 and Turing cards but I don't think any of them go for the same approach as PS5. I guess I'll just have to accept that we'll have to wait for launch to get a good idea about the pay off for this approach.

I'm not sure what you're expecting to see here at launch.

The XSX and PS5 specs are so close that software abstraction is just as likely to result in resultant graphical/performance differences in real games as the hardware is.

Status
Not open for further replies.