• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1 year later, were you able to secure a PS5 or Series X?

• Yes, I bought a PS5

Votes: 1,172 37.1%
  • Yes, I bought a Series X or S

Votes: 425 13.5%
  • Yes, I bought both

Votes: 978 31.0%
  • No, but I've actively been trying

Votes: 105 3.3%
  • No, but I haven't really tried too hard

Votes: 259 8.2%
  • No, but I am not in the market to buy one

Votes: 219 6.9%

• Total voters

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Got me a DE direct from Sony on launch day. Arrived the day after launch.

It was stressful, but I persisted and got lucky.

I actually passed up on several standard PS5 pre-orders trying to get the more elusive Digital Edition. It was dumb, but it worked out for my dumb ass.

Last edited:

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was invited to buy a PS5 a couple weeks ago, and only very casually searched before that.

Oct 25, 2017
Won a Series X from Taco Bell and got it the day before launch.
I was finally able to buy a PS5 in June and pick it up on July 2 at Best Buy after many many failed attempts over the whole year.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
A friend of mine was so anxious to have one at launch he ordered 2 PS5, one of them digital. Both arrived, so I bought the digital one from his hands, 400 euros. Easy peasy.

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017
I walked into my closest JB Hifi store, had a chat to the dude at the games counter about the Series X, who said they were only receiving them randomly from Microsoft at that point with no warning (Jan 2021) he took my details down and said he would put one aside for me next shipment if he could.

I had one a week later.

Artistic

Jan 3, 2018
Bought Series X via resale two months ago.

Hoping to get a PS5 around Forbidden West release. Will be playing PS4 games on it first since I missed out last generation.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Bought both and barely had to try. I feel legitimately awful that so many on here have struggled. =/

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had four preorders. Three Disc. One Digital.

I'm still annoyed at myself for cancelling most of them instead of keeping to sell at cost, either to friends or on here. Especially since they decided once it released that NOW they want one. I offered for so long, I just don't have $1000 to have in "maybe." oTL

(Kept two orders, mine from GameStop, and cousin's straight from Sony; mine is Disc, his Digital, of his own choice)

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered a PS5 at through Sony Direct and got it at launch, no issues.

Pre-ordered a Series X through Amazon but they fucked me and delayed it to an unguaranteed late December window. Fortunately I was able to snag one from Walmart.com on launch morning which arrived that weekend.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I havent been able to get a PS5 but I wouldnt say I have tried too hard. I have just been sticking to legitimate sources and trying my luck from time to time. I have a certain amount of money squared away for it for a while now but I dont want to go too far over that on the console alone when there is not much that interests me to play and I dont have much time to play either.

I know it is possible, a co-worker has a digital one but had to pay 110,000 yen for it which is like a 1000 USD. I am not paying that to play PS4 games when I still have a working PS4. Once they are back on normal shelves, I will definitely scoop it up.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Yep, got a Series X right at launch. Nearly impossible to get a second tho. Looking since launch and no chance at all. Strange feeling. First time ever you can't get an Xbox of your choice here in Germany.

No intention to buy a PS5. I'm good with Xbox plus Switch.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
Was able to get 2 PS5s so far. The second seemed to be much easier to get than the first. No scalped purchases

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Got both pretty easily. Got my PS5 the day after launch from PS direct. And was able to snag a Series X from Best Buy for $430 back in April. Loving both systems

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Had plenty of chances, but haven't because I haven't been able to justify it honestly. I am very interested in the Series S, but all I play is Yakuza on Xbox so the XBO is perfectly fine for now.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Series X I got day 1. Passed on PS5 (actually cancelled it) because I thought getting both a launch was overkill.

Got a PS5 a couple months back. Funny thing was I put myself on waitlist at 3 places, picked it up elsewhere - but then all 3 places called me within 2 weeks to say my reservation was in. Must have just been a big batch all at once. I passed on the extras - but if I was a lesser person I could have had 3 to scalp.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Launch day bois!

Shot out to that user who posted that backdoor Amazon link in the PS5 pre-order thread; might've still been seaching to this day...

Edit: also it's been 10 months

Jul 26, 2018
Between me and my sister we bought five Ps5s in the first 3 months (one for each of us and three for friends and family)

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Miraculously got a PS5 preorder from Walmart. Thought for sure it was going to get canceled.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
ya got both day one thankfully. best buy pick up for ps5 and target delivery for xbox

bought both since trying to upgrade or build a pc is a shit show right now and i wanted something new to hold me over

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Got both day one pretty much entirely off the back of wario 64 and goofy ass amazon backdoor shenanigans.

K1ng P3n

Dec 15, 2018
Both consoles on day one! Actually I got 2 series X consoles because Amazon messed up! Lol

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
2x PS5, 2x Xbox Series S, 1x Xbox Series X.

Have sold all but one Series S because that was one I bought for a roommate that essentially became the Jackbox Party Pack 3 downstairs console exclusively. Didn't buy them to sell, just have had a weird relationship with gaming lately where I'm like why am I spending the majority of my free time doing this.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
No, but I haven't really been trying. I mostly game on PC, but I may try to get a PS5 if there's a true "killer app" for me in particular. Haven't really found that yet.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Wanted to buy a PS5 on launch but obviously i wasn't able to get one. Since then my hype has died out and since i really dislike the looks of the current model so i decided to wait for the eventual slim release down the line.
I mainly game on PC, so i want it only for some of the exclusives. I also have a lot of patience and a huge backlog so i don't mind waiting.

Regarding the availability, i could get one quite easily now. There's usually a re-stock every 2 weeks or so and everyone is posting in my fb gaming groups when they are available. Pre-ordering is also a good solution.

Xbox Series S is always is stock, but Series X seems to be quite hard to get. So far i've only seen them on scalpers.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
ps5de at launch, series x last december.

didn't have much trouble with either, though i guess if i had missed that first night preorder bandwagon for ps5, it would be different story.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a total of three PS5s since release.
One for my relative, one for my entertainment centre and one for the lounge.

Will probably gift my extra console to someone in my family.

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I've bought like 4 PS5s, all for friends/family at MSRP. Got myself an XSX and had the opportunity a few times to get more but didn't have anyone to give it to so I didn't bother.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 from an invitation on PS Direct at launch, XSX early in the year from Best Buy. The latter was thanks to Wario and Hotstock.