• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1 year later, were you able to secure a PS5 or Series X?

• Yes, I bought a PS5

Votes: 1,172 37.1%
  • Yes, I bought a Series X or S

Votes: 425 13.5%
  • Yes, I bought both

Votes: 978 31.0%
  • No, but I've actively been trying

Votes: 105 3.3%
  • No, but I haven't really tried too hard

Votes: 259 8.2%
  • No, but I am not in the market to buy one

Votes: 219 6.9%

• Total voters

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're approaching the 1 year anniversary of the new console generation and it is still prohibitively hard to purchase one without going through 3rd parties to do so. I'm just curious as to what percentage of people who use Era were actively able to get one now that we've reached this milestone!
I was able to get both PS5 Disc Version and XSX on launch day via Amazon.com USA.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
I bought a PS5 and Series X at launch. Sold the Series X after a few weeks because I didn't really have anything to play on it.
Also got a 3070 FE recently, after trying for a few weeks. That thing was definitely harder to get than the consoles.

Earlier this year I also helped 4 friends to get a PS5

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I've managed to find a series x, but I've yet to see a PS5 available at RRP at all here in the UK

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
It's possible in the UK but looking at the stock bot activity you only get a chance every couple weeks. Maybe they have some in physical stores who knows. I kinda parked the idea of getting a PS5 until later.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Got a PS5 at launch. Bought both for family members earlier this year. And just ordered a Series S for myself cause there are finally some upcoming Xbox games I want to play on the TV, and not the PC.

Apr 12, 2021
Yep, got a Series X pre-order and got bumped to day one.

Recently got another pre-order for the Halo Series X bundle.

Missed out on the PS5, twice. :(

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
bought both day one. Sorry. Also a 3080 day one at retail price.

My punishment is waiting until Q2 2022 for a steam deck

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I have a different answer. I was able to get an XsX day one on MSRP ($500) through pre order. But since Jan-2021 I wanted a PS5 but couldn't find it with MSRP.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Xbox Series X through Amazon Italy in December at MSRP, and conveniently just before Brexit would have forced import tax.

Swapped out the power cable for a UK plug (from my One X) and it's been good to go ever since.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
The situation in Iceland is... dire. There's been maybe three order windows for PS5, launch included, and they're always gone within minutes. I don't think any retailer has even carried the XSX, ever. MSRP is just not an option here.

Which is to say no, I don't have either of the lads.

Kattlauv

Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Got a PS5 a couple of weeks ago. Didn't really care about it until now. Just wanted something new.
Don't need a Xbox, but I got a RTX 3070 close after launch.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any such thing as a waiting list after the console release? I'm tired of checking stock all the time and ending up disappointed. I just want to put my name into a queue to buy it when it finally shows up.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I was able to get 3 PS5s and 3 RTX 3000 series video cards last November/December as christmas presents for family. I spent a lot of time trying to get them, but I got pretty damn lucky.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Got a PS5 a few months ago, waiting for Series X to meet demand so I can get one. I'm in no rush since MS hasn't released anything I'm interested in yet.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Got my PS5 day 1, got my Pre-order from bestbuy before the pre-orders went live and even had a minute to walk away and discuss what game to purchase with it.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
I was able to get both, but they were in both cases special circumstances that most people didn't have access to. I bought the Series X first, and to secure my spot I went out to the local Gamestop at like 5 in the morning to secure my pre-order spot. The store manager Very Nicely Suggested that we pre-order stuff we had no interest in buying, simply because corporate was leaning on them very hard. I pre-order a few things but only ended up getting the console and the warrenty. As for the PS5, I actually secured an Amazon pre-order the day they went up, but I had no real desire to get the console at the time. Mostly I got it so I could pass it off to a friend. A few months later, I forget exactly when, Gamestop listed some bundles, and there was one that was not too terrible and had stuff I was most likely going to get anyway, namely the console, a spare controller, Demon's Souls, and Spider-Man Ultimate. Jumped on that, although I'm probably about to sell that spare controller.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, I mentioned this in another thread, but any Canadians looking for series s, Amazon Canada has had them in stock since yesterday. So people that might be in here looking for one can go try and get one

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't really tried too hard, but as far as I'm aware not a single store in the country has them in stock.

Scalper prices online seem to be around 100€-300€ above MSRP for the PS5, and lower for Xbox, so it's not totally impossible. But so far there aren't really any games that would justify buying from scalpers.

BobSaac2

Jan 6, 2021
Got a PS5 day 1. The full price here in Brazil was R$ 5000, but I paid R$ 3750 on mine, which was the deal of the century. (Cashback+credit card).

I was not sure about getting PS5 or XboxSeries X up until the Demon's Souls reveal. Also, where I live there is so many more PS owners than Xbox owners, and trading games make things incredible easy to keep playing new games without having to spend too much money.

Planning on getting a Series X if next the batch of exclusives from MS delivers. If not, maybe Ill end up getting a Series S (they are already gathering dust in Brazil, and there is so many deals, but i'll keep waiting).

Oct 27, 2017
Got a Series X at launch.
I really want a PS5, but I'm not sure if it is worth dealing with the hassle right now. If I get lucky and stumble on one I'd probably get it, but otherwise I might wait for a smaller redesign.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I got both at launch, but I'm trying to get a PS5/Series X for my friends, and nothing. Nothing! Can't find shit in Canada, unless I want to pay $1k with a scalper.

I finally got one of my friends a Series S instead, since that's the only console that's in stock now and then.

KilleyMC

Oct 27, 2017
Montevideo , Uruguay
Nah, I don't need either of them yet, especially not at the current retail prices in my country, around $ 1650 for a PS5 with disk drive and $ 1300 for a Series X.

Last edited:

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Two household PS5's and a Series X, One PS5 and the Series X on launch week, 2nd PS5 bought in December for my kid. All legit from retail.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I will buy a PS5 eventually...after they can shrink it to a size I can justify stuffing into my entertainment system. (Sort of playing the waiting game for more games I really want to play, too. Right now my only must-haves are Demon's Souls and FFVII Remake Intergrade.)

Planning to pick up a Series X (possibly an S if I feel like saving the money) this holiday.

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
I picked up both, though my PS5 digital pre-order was delayed several months. I also picked up a Series S for visiting my parents house.

Oct 25, 2017
Got both in 2020, and another PS5 from Sony direct which I purchased for a coworker.

I'm still proud of the XSX deal I got. There was a deal on Xbox gift cards on Amazon for Prime day in 2020 and I bought $500 worth and got 25% back on my Amazon visa card. So I paid $375 for my XSX.

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to pre-order both, but ended up cancelling the Xbox Series X order, because why would I need both?

Nevertheless, I got the itch to get a Series X this week when I happened to see that they were in stock (about to be in stock, at least), and ordered one. Not sure when it will arrive though.

So, hopefully I will have both before long.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I had a ps5 preordered, had to cancel it due to money, and now haven't been able to get a ps5 or xsx and have failed every time I tried to order one. I was able to pre order a Switch OLED though with minimal effort.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
I got a PS5 two days after lunch. now I am contemplating a series X just for emulation. but haven't been getting any thing available yet.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Got a PS5 and XSX at launch. Purchased two more PS5s legit from retail for friends since. Some people just aren't very good at buying things :P

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to get both day 1 luckily. Although I've had much worse luck with GPUs. I missed the initial launch of the 3080s and have been searching for one at a reasonable price ever since.

Jay-T

Oct 28, 2017
Where I live the XSX is easily found at MSRP. The PS5 however is only sold at scalper prices, so no I'm not buying one.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
have none, I would probably have bought a PS5 by now if I could just order it online but I have no interest in entering lotteries/checking stock or whatever

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I bought both at launch without too much trouble. I've been trying to get the Halo Xbox to replace my existing XSX but have been unsuccessful. Also have so far struck out on the SWOLED.

Oct 25, 2017
Got my digital PS5 by luck. After the Sony show took my son to GameStop for him to get a switch game. The store manager got a call from a different store and was told the PS5 was up already. She told the customer ahead of me and I got the digital I wanted.

The XSX I drove by GameStop after work. Saw the sign said 3 XSX and 2 XSS. Came home got something to eat. Drive up and sat in my car from 3am to 6am when the next person came. We stood outside, and waited. People came around 9am and the rest got claimed. We more people came at 11am when the store opened and got pissed that we all waited.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I got a PS5 in March and I got a Series X today. Both times I only got them thanks to stock alerts on Twitter.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Had both PS5 and Series X day one. Got a series S not too long ago (love that lil thing).

Just need a digi PS5 for the bedroom. Now.