ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
What's the most powerful handheld with a 4:3 screen right now? Still the RG405M?

I don't get why so many manufacturers go with 16:9 screens when PS2 emulation is barely a thing.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What's the most powerful handheld with a 4:3 screen right now? Still the RG405M?

I don't get why so many manufacturers go with 16:9 screens when PS2 emulation is barely a thing.
16:9 screens are probably easier to come by in quantity. More games work well in widescreen (native or hacked) than you might realize.

I've learned the extra pixels the 720p screens give you help out a lot with shaders displaying properly. I'd like for one of the 4:3 display devices to have a higher resolution for this reason, as they don't look great on 480p.

ternarybanana

Apr 5, 2024
Damn I really want Garlic 2.0 to hit. I bought into the RG35 line and it's on the border of being too small for me but the fact that the MM is further ahead in software makes me tempted. They're all so damn cheap and easy to impulse buy.
I just got an email about 2.0.2 alpha releasing. I think that's first sign of life in a few months, isn't it?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Desert Land
So after finally getting my RP4P, I'm really happy. I don't think I actually knew what I wanted, until I did some research.

I wanted pocketable but powerful, and the RP4P meets this criteria. I'm not missing out on many systems and I have my switch for switch games.

I'd say actually figuring out what you want from these devices is the hardest part.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I just got an email about 2.0.2 alpha releasing. I think that's first sign of life in a few months, isn't it?
It sounds like he still hasn't really done anything with Garlic since like November or so, but is going to start focusing on it now. I think 2.0.2 is just adding 28XX support.

If anyone wants to see what he said about Garlic:
GarlicOS 2.0.2 (Public Alpha)

Introduction

It's been a while since the last public update of GarlicOS, and I want to use this chance to say thank you for your continued support and patience.
The reason for the delay is simple: I'm a single man, working on many projects, with only 24 hours in a day to get them done. With other projects like Duo needing my attention, I was limited in how much time I could put into GarlicOS.
For those who keep track of my other projects, either here on Patreon or GitHub, you'll find that Duo has finally reached a point in its development where I'm happy to park it in favor of other projects.
It's stable, self-updating, and overall ready to be considered a finished product, sans potential future bugfixes, of course.
Which means I'm finally free to spend a majority of my available time with my favorite project again, which means we should be seeing significant movement over the next few months.
Now that we're all caught up, let's move on to the two key points we'll be focusing on in the foreseeable future.

Adding support for more devices

While I was busy with other projects, several new devices arrived at my doorstep.
Some were provided by OEMs themselves, but a majority of them came from community members like yourself, for which I am extremely grateful.
I've been busy batch-soldering them all up with easily accessible UART ports for debugging, which should make the trickier-to-implement parts somewhat less tricky.
I expect most of these devices to land on the supported device list within a matter of weeks, with Anbernic's RG28XX being the first of the bunch, landing today.

Adding hardware acceleration, WiFi, BT and other key features

GarlicOS has been labeled as Alpha software for a reason: many key features that people are accustomed to from other operating systems are still missing.
Support for these features is being worked on in a separate, currently private branch, alongside on-screen keyboard support and other prerequisites.
There is currently no ETA for these updates, but I will keep all of you posted on the progress.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like he still hasn't really done anything with Garlic since like November or so, but is going to start focusing on it now. I think 2.0.2 is just adding 28XX support.

If anyone wants to see what he said about Garlic:
Huh, that's great news. Good to hear it wasn't health issues that made him stop.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
At least we have some news that he's actively focused on it now. Hope it won't be too long but could be several more months I guess.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
35XXSP looks decent. Kinda wish they had been able to match the side buttons/switches like on the prototype, but whatever. Looks like it has some kind of sleep functionality when closing it, which is awesome. The SP doesn't have that. Hoping it's not too far away now.

I wish it had at least one analog stick.
Miyoo is making one with analog sticks.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
My Anbernic RG35xx-H came in the mail and I've had a couple days to play with it. I played some with the stock firmware, and some with Batocera v40. Some thoughts.

PROS
  • It feels a lot more sturdy than I expected. Some good, satisfying heft to it.
  • DPad feels better than the one on my AYN Adin 1
  • Very pocketable
  • Screen is nice and vibrant.
  • Batocera is a really pretty UI, and has awesome integration with boxart scrapers, retro achievements, and easily downloadable themes. It makes browsing games a lot more fun.
  • There appears to be a lot of CFW in development.
  • The size/form factor are a lot less of an issue as I thought. It's relatively comfy to hold, even with my long & lanky fingers.
CONS
  • The joystick is 100% in the way. It's driving me insane. I wish there was a version of this (horizontal) without the joysticks. I keep going back and forth on whether this is a deal breaker, or whether i can get used to it. Tempted to return it and get the RG Arc-S, but that one supposedly has very little CFW support. I don't want the RG 35xx+ because I like the Horizontal form factor more, but man that thing has the better layout by nixing the joysticks.
  • Stock OS feels janky. It definitely has the best performance, but it's not fun to use. On the flipside, Batocera feels amazing to use, but is missing a lot of performance and features of Stock OS. Hopefully it catches up. I've heard MuOS is good and might try that.
  • The MicroSD card that came with it already died. Luckily I had a Samsung one on standby.
  • The battery life isn't quite as good as I expected, but I think that has to do with Batocera needing to be optimised more. This will hopefully improve.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Finally received my RG35XXH and I LOVE it. But I feel I also want a vertical device for GameBoy and GameBoy color games lol (started with the R36S but the lack of WiFi killed it for me, want to use syncthing and retroachievements with my main Batocera device connected to the TV)

BUT I don't know if I should get a RG35XX Plus or a Miyoo Mini Plus:

In favor of the RG35XX:
  • It's basically the same device, so being able to install Batocera to it the same as the H and my main retro computer streamlines a lot (I'll set up an older raspberry pi for syncthing saves among devices)
  • It's a bit bigger, seems it will be more comfy.
  • More power in case I want to play something else outside of GB/GBC instead of going back to the H.
In favor of the Miyoo Mini Plus:
  • Tends to be cheaper during sales
  • It's a different device and everyone seems to love OnionOS. I'm definitely interested in trying it out!
What do you guys think?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Finally received my RG35XXH and I LOVE it. But I feel I also want a vertical device for GameBoy and GameBoy color games lol (started with the R36S but the lack of WiFi killed it for me, want to use syncthing and retroachievements with my main Batocera device connected to the TV)

BUT I don't know if I should get a RG35XX Plus or a Miyoo Mini Plus:

In favor of the RG35XX:
  • It's basically the same device, so being able to install Batocera to it the same as the H and my main retro computer streamlines a lot (I'll set up an older raspberry pi for syncthing saves among devices)
  • It's a bit bigger, seems it will be more comfy.
  • More power in case I want to play something else outside of GB/GBC instead of going back to the H.
In favor of the Miyoo Mini Plus:
  • Tends to be cheaper during sales
  • It's a different device and everyone seems to love OnionOS. I'm definitely interested in trying it out!
What do you guys think?
I think if you already have the RG35XX-H, you might as well go with something that differentiates it more. I'd pick the Miyoo Mini +, just to experience Onion OS. That way you have a very different device from your other one.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Anybody rocking stock OS on rg35xx plus/H?
I'm looking for somebody to test newest update with a dual sense ps5 controller. Mine is going insane with bad inputs, crossed and multi inputs etc. I wanna verify others have this issue.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so if I can wrangle more moolah, what are the options for something that can do a decent job of everything up through Dreamcast, Saturn, N64 and PS2 without getting into Odin prices?

Anything worthwhile at around, say, €$200? RP4P? Anything else?

Nov 23, 2023
How big is the RP4P compared to the Odin 2? Odin 2 is too big for me and I had an RP3 and heard the 4 was bigger than that one so I'm curious where it lands.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
Someone needs to copy the DS Lite. The same exact size and shape but now with some analog sticks.
I think the tech isn't there yet for something like that to exactly have respectable power or a real use. The AYANEO Flip DS for example is able to run even Gamecube games and it's still a chonky boi, and for actual DS stuff the solution is still probably a modded 3DS until a long enough time has passed to make FPGA emulation legal for those systems.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
Am I one of the last holdouts that has been following this thread for a while and watching the various videos but still hasn't bought anything yet? I think I'm close to buying something. I have the Analogue Pocket but don't count it as in the same group as these handhelds, mind you.
Yeah I don't don't FPGA fully counts since it's its own thing even though iirc there is support for just installing roms into the Pocket. I feel like the Analogue is pretty pricey for what it is too.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bought the RP4P and just made me want an odin 2 lol. Great device, just want a lil bigger screen

Anybody want to purchase mine DM me
The RP4P being smaller is a plus for me, because I already have a large screen handheld (Steam Deck) RP4 is about the same size as my phone so it can still fit in my pocket.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
The RP4P being smaller is a plus for me, because I already have a large screen handheld (Steam Deck) RP4 is about the same size as my phone so it can still fit in my pocket.
Yeah, I'm really curious about the size of the RP4. I have a 2+ and I hate it, and I'm pretty sure the size is a major factor, although not the only one.
I know the 4 is larger, but I have a really hard time picturing it. Like you, I want something smaller than the Deck, though.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm really curious about the size of the RP4. I have a 2+ and I hate it, and I'm pretty sure the size is a major factor, although not the only one.
I know the 4 is larger, but I have a really hard time picturing it. Like you, I want something smaller than the Deck, though.
If you have a keyboard in front of you, this might help for scale:

GNAPeZLWQAEfB6E

neonglow

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so if I can wrangle more moolah, what are the options for something that can do a decent job of everything up through Dreamcast, Saturn, N64 and PS2 without getting into Odin prices?

Anything worthwhile at around, say, €$200? RP4P? Anything else?
There's also the Logitech G Cloud that sometimes goes on sale in that price range. I bought a refurbished model for $180.
It can handle up to Dreamcast pretty well and has one of the best handheld form factors.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like our clamshell is finally here.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=EmxBwA9Z1xam-1td&v=Y23PPkftXIY&

Sonehow the video didnt flatter the transparent models as I was hoping. The silver one it is then.

PSP, DC and N64 performance seemed better than I would have expected, assuming this is using the same internals as the plus/H.

Also, I love how we've gone from "cool - this gadget can play all my old systems"' to "cool - this is perfect for GBA" or GB or w/e. All these devices mimicking a particular system. 😂

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I was just telling a friend of mine how I miss my SP, so I will totally buy one of these if reviews are good. I wish it was being made in the flame red color of my SP though.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Does anyone have any opinions or concerns around the question of MuOS vs Batocera on the RG35XXH?

MuOS is currently in a better state than Batocera on this device. It boots up/shuts down faster and has better battery life, and imo has better performance on the more demanding games (n64/DC here).
That being said, I like Batocera better. It's more "fun", if that makes sense. It's just really cool to use. MuOS's UI never really appealed to me.

Both of them are still in the oven, though. They'll be in great places in a few months I think.

That RG35xx-SP looks awesome. I LOVE that it is DPad only and doesn't have a joystick. I'm just weary of the build quality. The last Flip device we got from one of these companies was the Retroid Pocket Flip and it had a ton of issues with the hinge, which was surprising because Retroid usually is on-point with their build quality compared to the other brands in this space.

Last edited:

spectator

Jan 23, 2018
MuOS is currently in a better state than Batocera on this device. It boots up/shuts down faster and has better battery life, and imo has better performance on the more demanding games (n64/DC here).
That being said, I like Batocera better. It's more "fun", if that makes sense. It's just really cool to use. MuOS's UI never really appealed to me.

Both of them are still in the oven, though. They'll be in great places in a few months I think.

Thank you! That's about what I was expecting. I'm going primarily (exclusively?) Retroarch with this device and I don't really care about presentation/front-ends, so I think I'm gonna start with MuOS and see how I like it.