Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Having control of the camera, if they work that in with the second analog, would dramatically improve the game. I hated how the camera was fixed to Link's back in SS. That and some other design choices/concessions really soured my overall impression of the game.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Nintendo has a strict policy of only one refund per account as a benefit. They will never let you refund anything digitally again.
Actually, they have a strict policy of no refunds ever.

I also got a refund on 1-2 Switch at launch. And several Wii U games. It's discretionary at the supervisor level. Always has been.

Also I like how that's the part of my post you quote, not the rest of my completely rational explanation for why it was inappropriate for you to be a jerk.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I really disliked SS when it was first released, aside from the graphics and music. The story seemed interesting, but the actual gameplay was iffy for me. If it happens, I'll pick it up and I think I'd enjoy it more than I did when it first came out.

Also, Groose amiibo when?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Just have to reign Fii in a bit (or include an option to disable her hints entirely) and I'm good... though last time I played I had a hard time trying to not climb everything. BotW spoiled me so bad...

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo could do an exhaustive Zelda collection, a box set if you will, and something like that would be well worth the purchase. But we know Nintendo doesn't do that, they love to drip feed. Even if they had conversions at the ready for Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker along with everything from the N64 and back, they would still drip feed it to us.
I'm sure one of their porting studios will whip something right up! Seriously, how do people still think this?
It seems Nintendo has a quite streamlined process to bring stuff to the Switch from the Wii U by now.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How would it even work? Switch's motion control doesnt hold a candle to wiimote let alone the nonsense attachment skyward needed to make it work.

Carcosan Stag

AVALANCHE
Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
I would love to play this on the Switch. I just booted up my Wii U yesterday and noticed I had Skyward Sword installed on it. Was really tempted to just start up another playthrough.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
How would it even work? Switch's motion control doesnt hold a candle to wiimote let alone the nonsense attachment skyward needed to make it work.

Actually, Skyward Sword made very little use of the IR sensor, which is the only real difference.

The Joycons already have a gyroscope, which is what was added by Wii Motion Plus.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually, Skyward Sword made very little use of the IR sensor, which is the only real difference.

The Joycons already have a gyroscope, which is what was added by Wii Motion Plus.

Either way, ill believe it when i see motion controls on switch done half as good as wii u. plus they still need to account for handheld mode.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
As far as celshading goes, it is a downgrade objectively speaking. And since it was celshaded to begin with, i feel confident calling it a downgrade, inspite of technological improvements.

Apparently neither the creators of the HD remake nor a bunch of other people happily buying the remake felt like it's a downgrade, so coming into a topic, selling this very clearly subjective opinion as objective fact is just hyperbolic.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Would be into playing this again on the portable with standard controls if possible. I do however remember being bummed on the lack of classic enemies in SS from the Zelda series. It could have had way more variety.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd love to see an HD re-release that had the same Quality of Life fixes as Wind Waker HD on the wii U. The sequential nature of the game and it's story can be left alone, even the environments themselves too. But , at many (too many) points in the game the player is tasked with widget hunts that seem designed solely to pad out the playtime , these need to be cut down , either make it simpler to get the widgets themselves, have fewer of them hidden on the map (say 10 instead of 15 or 20 instead of 40, that sort of thing). There's also a boss encounter that serves as an act break so the game forces you to deal with it many times and each time it takes just a bit longer but for a variety of reasons it's more of a chore than anything. This could probably be cleaned up in some way to be a faster part of the game. There's also a ton of optional widget hunts used to upgrade items and I feel like that too could be tightened up a bit , require less of each item to upgrade stuff and just lock out upgrades so you can only actually buy them after certain milestones within the game have been reached.

Finally and perhaps most importantly - find a way to make the game 100% playable on a pro controller so those who don't want to use motion controls can do so. Obviously the entire game would need to be adjusted and re-balanced to allow this but this NEEDS to be done to make this remaster really have a full shot. It would also offer a new experience for the 2 million or so people who DID play the original game. Above all else, offer options ! , maybe from the get go players can choose the play the game "classic Motion controls" "classic Balance" "fast balance" "hero mode on/off". I suppose a pass could be made on the graphics too but I don't think it needs much work there, perhaps clean up the ugliest textures while still keeping the intended water color look in mind , maybe increase the draw distance and of course run it at 1080p.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot if I bought this on the Wii U eshop...

Either way I'd be down for a Switch compatible version. I'd prefer Twilight Princess HD since I also own that one, but prefer that game and have barely played the HD version. I just never use my Wii U anymore.

My biggest complaint of Skyward Sword was the motion controls. Even just doing the minimum swinging, stuff like cutting grass became a chore. I noticed it immediately after getting the sword in that game and didn't get much further than that.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
The Switch games I played with gyro pointer support all had a resynch button that needed to be used a LOT. Which gyro controlled games have you played where it worked?

Original Wii Skyward sword pointer is the same with Switch. It has a resynch button just like the Switch ones. And gyro pointer works just fine. I like it in World of Goo and Art of Balance. Yes you have to reset the pointer once in a while but it does work pretty well. But that has nothing to do with Skyward Sword controls. Joycons have all the tech that wiimote plus has except pointer with sensor bar and SS doesn't use that much.

Last edited:

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure that Joy-Con motion controls are actually technologically equivalent or better compared to Wii Motion Plus. What Wii does better than Switch is pointer controls, due to the sensor bar and IR sensor. Skyward Sword didn't really use the IR and was mostly reliant on the Wii Motion Plus as far as I can tell, which means that the Joy-Con should be able to replicate the Wii experience.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I hope so. I absolutely loved it and would love to play through it again.

It took me about 5-8hrs to really get the hang of the controls, but when it finally clicked, it quickly became one of my favorite Zeldas.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty sure we do and "just fine" doesnt mean half as good as wiimote.

i tried mario aces and pokemon and theyre horrible in both.
Your experience still doesn't seem to line up with mine. What was horrible about it?
The Switch games I played with gyro pointer support all had a resynch button that needed to be used a LOT. Which gyro controlled games have you played where it worked?
This is no different from Wii games, in my experience. It's masked by the sensor bar assist, which has its own problems.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Your experience still doesn't seem to line up with mine. What was horrible about

I mean its not exactly a secret. Just look up any review addressing the ball toss or motion controls in either games and itll echo my sentiments. Im 16 hours into pokemon and still cant do an off center throw with any kind of reliability

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Had the game been something else than a Zelda, it would be remembered as one of the greatest Wii game.
Also, I'm not always a fan of motion controls, but those were absolutely fantastic in SS. The joycons being superior to the wiimotion plus, I can't wait to dive again in this game. I would even go further and hope that Nintendo san gives us the option for 1:1 motion controls in the next mainline Zelda.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure Skyward Sword is the right Zelda game to follow up Breath of the Wild. I think the fanbase that instantly fell in love with the tone and freedom of BOTW might balk at the linearity and restrictive nature of SS.

For me, SS was the point in the Zelda franchise that cemented the idea in my mind that Zelda needed a serious shake up. In a way SS feels like the ultimate Saturday morning cartoon version of Zelda and I love the parts of the game that give me that feeling. But for every aspect of the game I enjoy, there is another aspect to offset it that I didn't enjoy.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Cool then I'll have two new Zeldas thanks nintendo

I'm sure the porting studios have more capability than porting games thanks

Usually they don't have the manpower or talent to make an original Zelda game no. Get real with that crap. A studio can be technically great and not be creatively so, and this is a good way to go for them.

I'm not sure Skyward Sword is the right Zelda game to follow up Breath of the Wild. I think the fanbase that instantly fell in love with the tone and freedom of BOTW might balk at the linearity and restrictive nature of SS.

For me, SS was the point in the Zelda franchise that cemented the idea in my mind that Zelda needed a serious shake up. In a way SS feels like the ultimate Saturday morning cartoon version of Zelda and I love the parts of the game that give me that feeling. But for every aspect of the game I enjoy, there is another aspect to offset it that I didn't enjoy.

I agree with this. I think a collection would fit SS much better as it sets a different expectation for buyers. Unfortunately Nintendo seems to not be into that idea these days. A collection that included WW, TP and Skyward would fare much better.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this. I think a collection would fit SS much better as it sets a different expectation for buyers. Unfortunately Nintendo seems to not be into that idea these days. A collection that included WW, TP and Skyward would fare much better.
Nintendo wants to sell these remasters at full price, and no one is going to pay over $60 for a collection, so they'd rather break it up into individual releases spread out to cover holes in their release schedules.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Usually they don't have the manpower or talent to make an original Zelda game no. Get real with that crap. A studio can be technically great and not be creatively so, and this is a good way to go for them.

Crikey, I'm not seriously arguing for them to go out and make a brand spanking new AAA BotW quality title.

Give them some room to do something creatively other than port someone else's work.

What I'm asking for is something new, rather than rolling out these endless ports to switch.

If that means they just supplement a 'creatively better' team on the technical side so be it.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Crikey, I'm not seriously arguing for them to go out and make a brand spanking new AAA BotW quality title.

Give them some room to do something creatively other than port someone else's work.

What I'm asking for is something new, rather than rolling out these endless ports to switch.

If that means they just supplement a 'creatively better' team on the technical side so be it.

You make this sound like these port teams ask for a proper game but are treated only with ports. If SS port wouldn't be made they would port something else for someone. Not make a new game for Nintendo

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Skyward Sword is a prime candidate for a remake but unfortunately I think we'd just get a port.

I'd love for them to take advantage of the upgrade to Switch and make the sky and land overworlds seamless. If they can do that and fix the whole economy of the game, I think that would sort out a lot of problems the game had.
The controls are something people feel strongly about so if Nintendo just add all the different options possible I think it'd keep people happy.

My ultimate wish would be for them to make the Timeshift stones a bigger mechanic. It would be wonderful if you ended up collecting them so the entire game can be temporally shifted, basically like Ocarina of Time crossed with the instant wolf transformation from TP.

You could retcon the game so that Link takes the Timeshift stones to various temples around the world and makes an ocarina to use them. Wouldn't happen though unless they really have remade it.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
You make this sound like these port teams ask for a proper game but are treated only with ports. If SS port wouldn't be made they would port something else for someone. Not make a new game for Nintendo
I already replied to them about this, since it would almost certainly be Tantalus' work after their port of Twilight Princess and the fact that they don't seem to have anything major in their pipeline at the moment.

It's what Tantalus does, they port games or make shovelware (and they've done less and less of that lately). Of the two, working on porting and improving a Zelda game, or working on low tier shovelware... I think I'd personally pick Zelda even if it wasn't the most creative of endeavors.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
God everytime i hear or think about this game i get so annoyed. Its such fucking garbage. Half the game is filler and the fucking handholding. There is no way they can remove the filler without the game falling apart. I really hope they are making better use of their time. I don't even mind the controls. It worked for me but fuck was the game boring and monotonous.

Fuck Skyward Sword.

Tell us how you really feel.

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
Yeah no. I rather they'd use resources on a Zelda that's not so much filler and has those goddamn awful waggle gimmicks.

How about a Link's awakening remake Nintendo you know you want to!

Padparadscha

Alt account
Banned
Nov 26, 2018
Ah, Skyward Sword is a game that is near and dear to my heart, despite its flaws. Of all the games in the Zelda series, I think it has some of the highest highs and the lowest lows. When the presentation, controls, and setting all work together, it really sings, like in the Ancient Cistern, or the final battle. And despite BotW going in a very different direction, it's clear that SS features a large number of prototypical elements that would reach maturation in the next iteration: a stamina meter, sprinting, upgradeable gear, breakable shields, gyro aiming, the sailcloth, quick item swapping, etc. Unlike Twilight Princess, the game also has full confidence in its own narrative, characters, and setting, rather than relying heavily on Ocarina nostalgia. On the other hand, it's plagued by linearity, hand-holding, and some of the worst required tasks of any Zelda game(the tadstones, oh the tadstones). I'll still always love it because of the narrative, the art direction, the stellar design in the Lanayru region, and the visceral boss battles, but there's no denying there's a considerable number of things they could improve in any remaster. At the very least, I think they would remove the incessant interruptions to gameplay, as well as streamline some of the later, more tedious quests.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish it'd be more than just a remaster.

Imagine redoing SS with the BOTW engine where the worlds aren't as originally disjointed due to hardware constraints.

That would be soooo good.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently neither the creators of the HD remake nor a bunch of other people happily buying the remake felt like it's a downgrade, so coming into a topic, selling this very clearly subjective opinion as objective fact is just hyperbolic.
I also bought WWHD and i think it's a downgrade, i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one. It's a meaningless argument. Now you are arguing with subjectivity. That the creators thought it was a good idea, is also a bleak argument. It's really not a subjective opinion as you seem to think it is, since the style in WW is very clearly defined as celshading (so much in fact, that is has become the first true benchmark other celshaded games have been compared the following decade). And as such, it is clearly a downgrade stylistically, since it is a fact and not an opinion, that the HD remaster is not truly celshaded anymore. Sure it is in HD, sure it's widescreen and textures are high res, it has a more advanced lighting system. Technologically it's been upgraded. Stylistically, quite the opposite. Now you have, depending on the lighting and viewing angle, flat shaded elements with 3D shaded elements sticking out. The style is not coherent anymore, it is not uniformly celshaded. You may think it looks nicer, but that would be subjective. You can argue that ditching celshading is a conscious choice and as such calling it a downgrade would be subjective, it would be a fair argument, but given the fact that stylistically the HD remaster is still very much in the same ballpark as the original, i'm going to disregard it regardless :-)