Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather they give RE4 a rest, if they have to pick between 4 and or 7 due to their limited financial resources, go with a more recent game please

A proper version of 4 has never had a handheld release, and you could do it with less compromise than 7. 7 would be nice, but a technically sound version of RE4 on the go would be heaven

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy to play some Raid Mode with you when they're out. I'm in for both of these on day 1. Capcom seems to be doing these ports right and I enjoy Resident Evil. I'm in if we get more stuff like this too.

Edit: $20 each is nice too.
Sweet. I solo'd Raid in 2 on PC until the hardest difficulty and it got kind of boring. Got to level 100 with Wesker and everything, so just playing with someone else will be a breath of fresh air.

Add me! 1590 5112 0060

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
People figure they would have had a greater output on the Switch given how successful they were on the 3DS

They weren't that successful on 3DS, especially early on--people forget that they gambled big on 3DS early on, particularly with Revelations, and were burned pretty hard. The platform eventually picked up, not least of all due to Monster Hunter, but it's not hard to understand why they were more cautious this time around when you take 3DS and Wii U into account.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
They weren't that successful on 3DS, especially early on--people forget that they gambled big on 3DS early on, particularly with Revelations, and were burned pretty hard. The platform eventually picked up, not least of all due to Monster Hunter, but it's not hard to understand why they were more cautious this time around when you take 3DS and Wii U into account.

Forgetting Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition?

On-topic: I'll be getting this day 1 but I really wish Rev 2 wasn't a digital-only release. I'd have paid more for it to be physical.

IamAwake

Oct 27, 2017
Has it been confirmed that Revelations 2 will be $20? How big should I expect this to take on my sd card?

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Have never played Rev 1 and only played the first episode of Rev 2, the staggered release killed my interest tbh, wish they had have just released em all together. Framerate of Rev 2 doesn't bother me as long as it's stable. Also am I right in thinking there's no benefit in buying them together? I'll probably just get the first one and take it from there.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Good news I guess, but not really seeing the incentive to rebuy these games, especially when you can get a more complete RE collection on other platforms.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Didn't these start out as 3DS games? I always thought it was impressive how good they looked.
The first one was. The second was a cross-gen game from 2015 and didn't release on 3DS. The first game has been tarted up and ported to every platform known to man, it has been heavily updated from it's 3DS debut.

Good news I guess, but not really seeing the incentive to rebuy these games, especially when you can get a more complete RE collection on other platforms.
The incentive is the same as all multiplatform games on Switch: Portability.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the first one on the 3ds quite a bit. Thought it was a nice balance of horror and action. I'll probably end up waiting a bit for a sale or price drop to pick up rev2 though since I was already planning on picking up Doom and Skyrim.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The incentive is the same as all multiplatform games on Switch: Portability.
For sure. That's a seller for me too, but it's a harder sell to me when I can play almost every Resident Evil game ever made all on PS3. I love convenience. Portability is a great convenience, but so is library availability.

Now, if I knew REmake, 0, CV HD, and 4-6 were all coming too, I'd probably pick these up in a heartbeat. Even better if REmake2 (is that still happening?) came too.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think Revelations 1 is okay (it has a few stand-out moments, and Raid Mode is pretty fun) and Revelations 2 is great (it shows its mid-budget, but it won me over with its likable cast, number of memorable scenes for me, and stronger survival elements on its harder difficulties). I hope people give Revelations 2 a chance, I was surprised how much I personally liked it coming from the first game (though as anything it certainly might not be for everyone).

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
For sure. That's a seller for me too, but it's a harder sell to me when I can play almost every Resident Evil game ever made all on PS3. I love convenience. Portability is a great convenience, but so is library availability.

Now, if I knew REmake, 0, CV HD, and 4-6 were all coming too, I'd probably pick these up in a heartbeat. Even better if REmake2 (is that still happening?) came too.
I have absolutely zero doubt that they entire back-catalogue will make it's way to Switch eventually. We will get one or two more next year IMO.

REmake 2 is still happening (as far as we know), but I wouldn't take a Switch version as a given. We don't even know if it will be classic or 3rd person yet.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Revelations on the 3DS so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out. I didn't really play the second one at all outside of a brief run of Raid Mode.

Heck, I'll buy any Resident Evil game they put on the Switch for ÂŁ16 (or however much they end up being each) so just put them all on there.

I wonder if we'd ever get a The Mercenaries sequel. I can't remember how much of my enjoyment of that game was because there was nothing else to buy on the 3DS at the time but I remember spending an awful lot of hours playing it and the idea behind it is still really cool. I'd love to see a more fully featured version.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think Revelations 1 is okay (it has a few stand-out moments, and Raid Mode is pretty fun) and Revelations 2 is great (it shows its mid-budget, but it won me over with its likable cast, number of memorable scenes for me, and stronger survival elements on its harder difficulties). I hope people give Revelations 2 a chance, I was surprised how much I personally liked it coming from the first game (though as anything it certainly might not be for everyone).
yeah, Rev 2 on Veteran the first time was an incredible experience.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am getting sold on this, ive really been wanting to play RER2 with my girlfriend

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Which game has a better secondary / mercenaries type game in terms of both longevity and fun factor?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, Rev 2 on Veteran the first time was an incredible experience.

i'm happy I'm not alone. I usually play games on the hardest difficulty available first, I found out later Veteran adds some trickier enemy placement, but Revelations 2 on Veteran your first playthrough was the very fun kind of challenging in my opinion. It's helped the game allows for you to strategize a bit how you'll tackle a scene, there are hardly any scenes where you must kill an enemy to continue, and there's some good varied enemies in challenging but fair scenarios (there's a few times the difficulty spikes a bit, but these moments are almost always moments that make sense for the difficulty to spike in the story, and they don't spike so high as to become frustrating, at least in my opinion, partially because none of the scenarios feel unpredictable or unmanageable, it comes to you simply mastering, managing, and strategizing). Also while the game definitely shows its budget with its assets and such, I actually personally felt the level design was actually pretty on-point in Revelations 2. There's a number of moments they surprised me with clever level layouts to allow different sort of scenarios through the experience.

I wasn't fully sold on Revelations 2 during the first half of Episode 1, but in my opinion it gets better as it goes along and when you begin to get into the right mindset for the game. It was a big surprise for me.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Which game has a better secondary / mercenaries type game in terms of both longevity and fun factor?

This is a very good question, and here's my opinion having put 50 hours into both Raid Modes in Revelations 1 & 2.

Revelations 1 has the better Raid Mode. Revelations 2's Raid Mode has some GREAT improvements to Rev 1's Raid Mode, such as new and creative enemy buffs, a more expansive and addicting character upgrade system, and various fun touches like a 'hub lobby' you can mess around in when choosing the next level and some pretty fun timed community challenges. However, Raid Mode in Revelations 1 wins in the end because of the following:

-The levels are better and have more variety/better design to them (the Raid Mode levels in Revelations 1 feel like they had more effort put into them and include interesting twists and turns I won't spoil, and it's also worth mentioning for some reason in Revelations 2 almost all of the Raid Mode stages are areas from RE6. Now I don't have anything against RE6, but since most the levels are ported over they don't get to do as much creatively fun with them as the first Revelations).
-The difficulties are better (In both there's multiple difficulties per level, and Revelations 1 handles this MUCH better than Revelations 2. Rev 2 basically mostly superficially increases challenge, while Revelations 1 does a much better job throwing curveballs on higher difficulty level stuff to keep things interesting).
-The end game is much, MUCH better (this was a BIG killer for me in Revelations 2. There's a 'climax' reward in both. Revelations 2 has a 'Code Red" mode you unlock which just adds harder versions of all the levels you've already played several times without much new to them. Revelations 1 reward however is an open world version of the ship from the main game with multiple choose-your-path routes, multiple endings points, a hidden exclusive to this stage boss at the deepest part of the ship to work towards. It's a very fun challenge, and the new port even added a Hard Mode version of this stage. This made it a fun goal to work at, while in Rev 2 the reward just feels empty and not worth it).

My opinion, Revelations 2's Raid Mode has some great new additions in terms of enemy variety/buffs and character upgrades, I think the enemy selection is more interesting in general and the new buffs make them fun and it's more fun working out a build for your character(s) in Revelations 2, but Revelations 1 wins for having better levels with better design and variety, better replayability, and a much, much better endgame reward which is much, MUCH more fun to work at than Rev 2's.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Revelations 2 on the vita was not developed internally by Capcom, it was commissioned by Sony and ported by Frima Studio.

They did a good enough job in maintaining the look of the game considering the difference in power.
PSVita_ResiRevelations2_1.jpg

But the framerate was rough, constantly in the mid 20s and going down as soon as some enemies were on screen.

This one at least seems to be made internally, probably by some interns but still.

Like I know im looking at a vita game being blown up on a big screen, but like, im getting that RE4 port on that obscure console vibes from this, even the audio is craptastic.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm skeptical it'll run at a locked 30 fps, I guess people are forgetting how Rev 2 ran on PS4, and instead focusing on the 'well it got ported to Vita'.

It was a game that couldn't stay north of 30 fps on PS4, so expecting the Switch version to run better than 1080p 30fps and calling that a bare minimum or 'expected' is a bit nuts if you ask me.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-resident-evil-revelations-2-face-off

Yes it stayed well above 30 fps on Xbox One... but again, why the hell would we expect a Switch game to run at the same resolution and framerate (or better) than the XO/PS4 versions?

The game is poorly optimised, with a patch later improving performance. Running on the Pro with Boost Mode it hits 60 far more often.

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
What a damn shame REV2 is just a code.

I would have supported this otherwise.

Agreed. I won't support this crap just because Capcpom can't be arsed to opt for a higher capacity memory card. How is this gonna work in the future when games start to get bigger and bigger? Is every game gonna be a download code in the box? Yeah, no thx.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I won't support this crap just because Capcpom can't be arsed to opt for a higher capacity memory card. How is this gonna work in the future when games start to get bigger and bigger? Is every game gonna be a download code in the box? Yeah, no thx.
Blame Nintendo for not supporting devs/pubs by reducing the cost of the highest capacity memory card.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I quite enjoyed Resi Revelaitons on the 3DS, will get the double pack probably as I wouldn't mind replaying it without typos.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom said they were happy with Revelations 3DS sales and Mercs 3D sold better than they expected. SSFIV was a million seller, Ace Attorney a consistent seller and Monster Hunter basically kept them afloat and was continually breaking targets. Capcom wasn't burned by 3DS at all, it was quite the opposite.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom said they were happy with Revelations 3DS sales and Mercs 3D sold better than they expected. SSFIV was a million seller, Ace Attorney a consistent seller and Monster Hunter basically kept them afloat and was continually breaking targets. Capcom wasn't burned by 3DS at all, it was quite the opposite.

I guess Capcom won't be supporting PS5 and Xbox 2(?) considering how much PS4/XBO has burnt them.

Oct 27, 2017
What do you expect them to do? If they ship it on a bigger card that could add like $5 per copy shipped for a 32GB cart. Then you have to pay $59.99 for this collection

It's sucks but it's the nature of having a cartridge based console

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I wish they would add offline Raid Mode to Revelations 1. Raid Mode is so fucking good in Revelations 1.

The game is $20 and 23GB. There is literally no feasible way they could use a 32GB cartridge. The game would have to be like $40 to even consider it. We're lucky we're even getting Revelations 1 on a Cartridge.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Pointer aiming is not "waggle". You are doing it a serious disservice by calling it that.
Right but the problem is, "waggle" refers to something else entirely which has very negative connotations to anyone who doesn't know what you really mean.

It's been ten years and people still don't know how to use words and not actually use "waggle" for things that have nothing to do with "waggling" ... it's the worst. I wonder if we'll ever shake that off ...(no I don't because I know it'll never happen because when you can use the lazy derogatory term for something, you always will go for that).

So? The Switch version is based on the HD version of Revelations, on 360/PS3, which uses the same engine as Revelations 2. It shouldn't be 30fps.

HD version or not, Revelations is still a 3DS game built around 3DS limitations. Revelations 2 is not.

I wonder why it isn't mentioned but couldn't rev 2 be 720 60 in handheld as well?

Switch doesn't get more power in handheld mode, it gets less. So no. 100% no.

This is getting a physical release right? Can't find anything in the UK.

This is digital only in PAL regions because Capcopom. If you want a physical version (which only has Rev1 physical with a Rev 2 code anyway, no matter where you buy it), you'll have to hit up Japan or NA.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
While I get you somewhat, I'll share a quick story.

Last night my power was out for ~4.5 hours. Couldn't use the PC, Couldnt turn on the Tv, Couldn't use the PS4, but guess what? I picked up the switch and played some games to pass some time before bed.

Sure it may seem like a small corner case scenario, but discounting the ability to play portably is wrong.

I am looking hard at these. I never finished Rev 1 on WiiU, and I never played Rev 2. I liked what I played of 1, pretty sure I was more than halfway through. It felt more like a classic Resident evil type game.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Is Rev2 still download only? im only interested on buying a retail copy of the game, otherwise i can just buy it on steam

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
This is digital only in PAL regions because Capcopom. If you want a physical version (which only has Rev1 physical with a Rev 2 code anyway, no matter where you buy it), you'll have to hit up Japan or NA.
Thanks for the response, unfortunate that it's DD only here. May look into importing it then.