• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just wonder how many bitcoins the telecom companies gave the people at the FCC.

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
So the pirating will likely go down in the new few years, mostly because you will not be able to connect to BT, eMule, etc. at all.
Not totally true... The last time they tried to attack P2P by blocking ports or payloads, P2P developpers answered by changing the software to have changing ports and encrypted traffic.

If they want to get rid of P2P, they basically have to block all traffic between people, because P2P can disguise as encrypted http for example.

That could be done without neutrality. Though that would kill online games, personnal broadcasting (from media to surveillance), vpn, basically anything that is not asymmetric traffic between customers and companies.

Or cost an awful lot with far from 100% efficiency on packets identification (my time in researching this problem is several years out of date, but I'm pretty sure there haven't been a breakthrough in this)

It's awfully hard to see the difference between A and B sharing a file with P2P and A watching an encrypted video broadcast from B (such as a surveillance feed)

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why aren't people rioting at this point?

The US government are going to be burning books and putting opposing politicians in prison soon.

The average person couldn't give a fuck about this, tbh. Any more effort than a frownie face on twitter and yeah fucking right.

I worked a call center a few months ago for the EFF making calls to local people urging them to fight against net neutrality repeal. It's heartbreaking listening to how stupid the average person is regarding this issue. Soul crushing, in fact.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Receipts on this? Is there something i can read?

https://www.doj.state.or.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/ag_letter_12-13-2017.pdf

One of the most important roles that we, the undersigned Attorneys General of California, District of Columbia, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Mississippi, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, and Washington, perform is to prosecute fraud. It is a role we take extremely seriously, and one that is essential to a fair marketplace. But, as members of a democracy and duty-bound officers of our states, fraud in the democratic process rings a particularly discordant tone in our ears. The 'Restore Internet Freedom' proposal, also known as net neutrality rollback, WC Docket No. 17- 108, has far-reaching implications for the everyday life of Americans. Regardless of opinion on any underlying matter, such issues should be met with the utmost integrity of the administrative process.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Not totally true... The last time they tried to attack P2P by blocking ports or payloads, P2P developpers answered by changing the software to have changing ports and encrypted traffic.

If they want to get rid of P2P, they basically have to block all traffic between people, because P2P can disguise as encrypted http for example.

That could be done without neutrality. Though that would kill online games, personnal broadcasting (from media to surveillance), vpn, basically anything that is not asymmetric traffic between customers and companies.

Or cost an awful lot with far from 100% efficiency on packets identification (my time in researching this problem is several years out of date, but I'm pretty sure there haven't been a breakthrough in this)

It's awfully hard to see the difference between A and B sharing a file with P2P and A watching an encrypted video broadcast from B (such as a surveillance feed)

If only what you said is true :( ISPs have long stopped identifying P2P traffic with ports, and encryption has never been a problem for them. With pattern recognition tools it is easy to find out which client is using P2P applications, then apply traffic shaping to the said client to limit the transmission. You are correct that an encrypted connection between A and B using P2P protocol is virtually indistinguishable from an encrypted video stream, but under the P2P scenario A is also actively uploading data to B, C, etc (peers contributed most), downloading data from D, E, etc, and doing round-robin to F, G, etc. (random peers), leaving a quite distinguishable trace to ISPs. You may want to check a paper here.

Also, ISPs in the United States, before the FCC ruling, throttled 50% of P2P connections; after the ruling the percentage dropped to 3%, then rose back to 12% in recent years. ISPs do have the intention and technologies to block P2P traffic, and it will become worse after Net Neutrality is gone.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I take it by P2P you mean things like file sharing, but isn't online play very similar albeit with much smaller data transfers appearantly?

Do ISPs also hate online multiplayer games or is that something that would be not affected?

DXLelouch24

Oct 28, 2017
I take it by P2P you mean things like file sharing, but isn't online play very similar albeit with much smaller data transfers appearantly?

Do ISPs also hate online multiplayer games or is that something that would be not affected?
man i wouldnt wanna be ISPs if they pissed off people like Bliizard Activision or any other major Game company, or the Game industry in general

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
If only what you said is true :( ISPs have long stopped identifying P2P traffic with ports, and encryption has never been a problem for them. With pattern recognition tools it is easy to find out which client is using P2P applications, then apply traffic shaping to the said client to limit the transmission.
Well, far from easy. At the time of the article you posted, I was working with two ISP from two countries and a backbone router maker to work on this, and if it was that easy, I doubt they would invest so much in research... I could have been one of the author of the article :) Though I was more into identifying attacks and not P2P at first (but P2P identification was an obvious backproduct).

You are correct that an encrypted connection between A and B using P2P protocol is virtually indistinguishable from an encrypted video stream, but under the P2P scenario A is also actively uploading data to B, C, etc (peers contributed most), downloading data from D, E, etc, and doing round-robin to F, G, etc. (random peers), leaving a quite distinguishable trace to ISPs. You may want to check a paper here.
That's true. But that's not something ISP can totally check/implement with ease (it's different when you can run normally an algorithm and when you have to decide on which packets are delayed and which are not in a nanosecond with limited memory ressources available).

You can obviously identify that someone has probably a peer-to-peer traffic (with limits... what about videoconferences? A streamer that also downloads?), though at some cost. But once you've guessed A is doing P2P, which packets are you throttling? All of them, including those that come from for example online streaming? I doubt it's commercially sound.

Imagine that everybody use a ssh tunnel for data, each ISP will basically see a huge traffic from their clients to a limited set of IPs. Every kind of traffic will be going through the same link, encrypted and shuffle. Good luck.

Also, ISPs in the United States, before the FCC ruling, throttled 50% of P2P connections; after the ruling the percentage dropped to 3%, then rose back to 12% in recent years. ISPs do have the intention and technologies to block P2P traffic, and it will become worse after Net Neutrality is gone.
No doubt, I don't discuss this. But what's interesting is how protocols can change to disguise themselves more to avoid throttling. And that will be done, if there's a need.

Besides, the server-client model for distribution is old and not adapted for current network (peering capacity issues). It would be expected that Youtube, online TVs and the like to use more and more P2P because it's efficient. So you'll need to distinguish traffic on the payload and not the behavior, and that's definitively a no-go...

Last edited:

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
Currently, packet size (among others) can be a tell, but no doubt you can disguise P2P to mimicking online play.

Edit: to be more precise, currently, it may not be the same protocol, not the same ports, not the same payload size, not encrypted (with often identifiable payload) and not the same network topology.

But P2P can adapt protocol, port and payload size. It could disguise the content, but providers can't do real payload inspection for all packets, and can't keep a whitelist up-to-date. And identifying topology can be a hard problem in practice (and P2P can partly change its topology too).

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Currently, packet size (among others) can be a tell, but no doubt you can disguise P2P to mimicking online play.
Hmm, yeah, but that wasn't really what I wanted to know, more like if ISPs have a reason to throttle online play P2P connections too, as in "if it's P2P it gets throttled", you know, maybe because they can't really differentiate between these things or just can't be bothered to, idk, but it's a curious question imo. And I also don't think they fear the wrath of the mighty gaming industry, they could just sell a gaming pack for 59.99 for these kind of services. Possibly...

PS: your edit is also interesting and a likely scenario for sure, I was just curious how this may or not may affect gaming.

It's probably hard to say right now I guess?

Last edited:

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, yeah, but that wasn't really what I wanted to know, more like if ISPs have a reason to throttle online play P2P connections too, as in "if it's P2P it gets throttled", you know, maybe because they can't really differentiate between these things or just can't be bothered to, idk, but it's a curious question imo. And I also don't think they fear the wrath of the mighty gaming industry, they could just sell a gaming pack for 59.99 for these kind of services. Possibly...

PS: your edit is also interesting and a likely scenario for sure, I was just curious how this may or not may affect gaming.

It's probably hard to say right now I guess?
Well, depends.

Currently, they can see the difference between sharing/streaming and online play and probably implement easily. So it would be their call (I fully expect more expensive options to get a lower lag, though... Pay to improve your online experience... though it's already the case)

If sharing is throttled and not online play, people sharing will try to disguise their traffic to avoid throttling. At this moment, ISP may have to choose to throttle nothing or everything. Hard to tell what they'll choose.

As for not being in conflict with EA and the like, I've seen ISP fighting Google (with e.g. Youtube) so...

Edit: they hate nothing, btw, and surely not P2P sharers (they were probably the best clients for larger plans at first). It's just they have the opportunity to play some against others to earn more money.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, depends.

Currently, they can see the difference between sharing/streaming and online play and probably implement easily. So it would be their call (I fully expect more expensive options to get a lower lag, though... Pay to improve your online experience... though it's already the case)

If sharing is throttled and not online play, people sharing will try to disguise their traffic to avoid throttling. At this moment, ISP may have to choose to throttle nothing or everything. Hard to tell what they'll choose.

As for not being in conflict with EA and the like, I've seen ISP fighting Google (with e.g. Youtube) so...

Edit: they hate nothing, btw, and surely not P2P sharers (they were probably the best clients for larger plans at first). It's just they have the opportunity to play some against others to earn more money.
Thanks for the answer, that's kinda how I see it too (but I'm just guessing here I don't have much knowledge about these things)

And yeah, I didn't mean literally "hate", could have worded that better probably. ;)

AnimalFather

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not a surprise by a mile...

I somehow hope EU will stand on this matter (it's unpredictable, sometimes great, sometimes a lobby groups paradise too).

there are nations like portugal that already killed NN, they extra charge for facebook i heard.

zzzz.jpg

mg]

Last edited:

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
I may be wrong, but it seems to be a cellphone plan without actual internet access... Net neutrality is for ISP internet plans. You can probably legally offer specific services over the internet without legal issue.

I'm not a lawyer though.