Joo

May 25, 2018
6 years of development, not that hard to imagine the project was almost done. Jez probably got this right
Yes, and that's precisely what Jez probably imagined and decided to report on, but he clearly didn't have much information. Maybe he just knew when it had started development and thought it must be close to being revealed.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Mike "I don't see sexual harrassment" Ybarra can eat shit and like it.

I feel so bad for everyone who's been laid off this year and last.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I swear, I understand that the whole tech/entertainment sector overhired during the pandemic like Disco Stu going, "if these trends continue, ayyyy!" but the people who made those bad decisions are too infrequently the ones being held to account.

Guess Ybarra has more time to push keys.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Sad to see Odyssey cancelled, it sounded promising.

But glad Ybarra is gone, dude seemed like a piece of shit.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the game wasn't close to being done.

Still, Xbox is losing another game with this development (Blizzard is an Xbox studio now). Wonder if Blizzard is working on another unannounced game.

Last edited:

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
!

Survival games are doing insane numbers, and there was a lot of optimism about Blizzard's Survival game. I can't wrap my head around this decision.

I'm a little confused by that, especially considering the timing with a similar game becoming a massive worldwide phenomenon in the last few days, but I wonder if the Microsoft team looked at it and realized that it was going to take a lot more time and wasn't worth it?

Well there goes one of the few exclusives Xbox could get out of Activision 🤷

What does this even mean? Lol

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Could the survival game have been some kind of heavily MTX thing or some kind of set up they want to avoid right now? Or it had another season pass like diablo or overwatch.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a Game of Thrones move and the Xbox people securing their higher up positions in the organization. Imagine keeping him around and that Survival game became a massive hit, after Spencer and co. have shitted the bad on a lot of releases in the past couple years ? Better to get rid of him asap.

I'm joking. At least to some extent.

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
Crazy to see the survival game cancelled, with indie survival titles coming from nowhere and blowing up in popularity(see Valheim and more recently Palworld) you would think this could be a ripe market to try and get into for some big AAA Publisher/Studio by creating a survival game with triple A polish and production value.

Like it happened with Battle Royales being dominated by Independent projects and games(Like PUBG) until Epic(Fortnite), Apex (Respawn, EA) and Warzone(Activision) came in with triple A polish and production. You could do the same with the survival genre. Strange no big dev has tried it so far.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Disappointed to hear the survival game did not make it. Was really looking forward to a survival game in the WoW universe or whatever it was going to be.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Ybarra being gone is definitely good for Blizzard as a whole, just a shame he's being axed at the same time a large chunk of Blizzard is being axed

TheBigJuice

Banned
Jun 29, 2023
If what Jason is reporting about Booty is accurate and Ybarra chose to leave instead of being pushed out presumably as a fall guy for the survival game, then some serious shit must be happening over at ActiBlizz.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It really felt like if Blizzard were ever to reassert themselves in the industry hierarchy again, a banger survival game in this current state of the industry would be the thing to do it.

I guess we'll never know now. The outlook for Blizzard looks dreadful. The decision to sell to Activision has been awful for them from the beginning and continues to get worse.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
As was mentioned in the Xbox thread, for a AAA Blizzard survival game to be cancelled after so many years of work Phil and the decision makers at Xbox must have come to a similar conclusion that Naughty Dog did with TLOU's live service game. That the dev resources and money it would've taken to sustain it for years and years to come was simply too much and not worth sacrificing the rest of the company for.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Acquisitions usually result in layoffs so I was waiting for fallout. I hope we don't see anything large scale but I expect we will. I also think Bobby probably left a pretty toxic and dirty company behind and I hope Spencer is up to the task of fixing morale and a bunch of floundering IPs. I think WoW is the only property that is not in bad shape which is fucked up because that was the one everyone expected to tank first. They better not let Metzen leave for fuck sake.

Edit: Never mind. I didn't see the thread on the almost 2k layoffs at MS.

Last edited:

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Good fucking riddance Mike.

Not surprised the survival game got canned, Blizzard cans a bunch of projects and likely shouldn't announce stuff like that so early.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
As was mentioned in the Xbox thread, for a AAA Blizzard survival game to be cancelled after so many years of work Phil and the decision makers at Xbox must have come to a similar conclusion that Naughty Dog did with TLOU's live service game. That the dev resources and money it would've taken to sustain it for years and years to come was simply too much and not worth sacrificing the rest of the company for.

Yeha the cancellation I am not concerned about. If it wasn't working it wasn't working. Its just combined with everything else I think makes it seem more worst than it probably is.

I posted before about how xbox should have just cancelled Redfall, so I cant go off at them about that really. Just everything else :P

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I guess someone dragged him out.

On a more serious note, him going from the "SO FUCKING GOOD I LOVE MY WORK" to "I'm leaving y'all" in less than two months is alarming.

Nah he was just putting on a face. I imagine he wasn't too thrilled to be working for the same company he had left not long ago (although that is me speculating).

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Wait... Jez Corden said the game was like 90% complete and would be announced soon? what the hell happened?
Sunk cost fallacy, why sink more time/money into a shit game that probably won't review or sell well. Better to cancel and move staff to greener pastures. This is true regardless of the game was a year away or 5 years away from releasing.

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
Odyssey was many years away from being done. More soon

Was it in dev hell? Did many people working on that team get layed off as part of the 1900 XboX layoffs?

Hopefully not but I hope if they are part of the layoffs that they land on their feet. Getting layed off in general must already be soul crushing in this enviroment(considering how hard it must be to find new jobs with tech companies tightening the purse) and on top of that you seeing 6 years of your work ultimately end up leading to nowhere as the project gets cancelled, must be very hard.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Ghastly shit. We seriously need to reckon with the fact that the industry is collapsing as we speak.
It's not collapsing, it's contracting. Blame capitalism.

The pandemic pushed a huge increase in revenues for entertainment like gaming and as we get into this contraction period where the YoY comparisons make companies look like they're doing horribly to stockholders, this is going to be the result.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
So cancellation of Odyssey might seem like a bad thing. But after Redfall, perhaps Microsoft learned a lesson. No one will ever know.

Ybarra definitely seemed to have some baggage. Again who's to say how much of a positive or negative this is.

Don't like that many people being laid off.

teemoisfun

Mar 19, 2021
Brazil
Yeha the cancellation I am not concerned about. If it wasn't working it wasn't working. Its just combined with everything else I think makes it seem more worst than it probably is.

I posted before about how xbox should have just cancelled Redfall, so I cant go off at them about that really. Just everything else :P
Does anyone know how many devs were working on Odyssey? I remember a prominent systems designer from Undead Labs got a senior role for that project.