modiz

Oct 8, 2018

View: https://x.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1754568149775581344?s=20

As mentioned in this article, currently, Call of Duty 2025 (20 months from release) does not have an assigned main developer. It's my understanding that it was meant to be SHG, but following on from the 16-month development cycle of MW3, they basically refused and didn't want to become a "year 2 support studio".

High Moon Studios was in the running at one point (unclear if it's still the case), which would have made it the 4th studio ever to mainline a Call of Duty game, but I believe that it's likely going to fall to Treyarch Games in the end.

Infinity Ward is already developing Call of Duty 2026 and Sledgehammer Games recently got the greenlight to develop Call of Duty 2027, as per my previous reporting.

This is just crazy to me.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
" It's my understanding that it was meant to be SHG, but following on from the 16-month development cycle of MW3, they basically refused and didn't want to become a "year 2 support studio"."

Can they....do that?

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have serious doubts that a studio wouls be able to refuse working on what their bosses tell them. But what a mess either way.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I mean, now that it's under Microsoft can't they just.... Not release a 2025 game? Does there absolutely NEED to be a 2025 CoD?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
" It's my understanding that it was meant to be SHG, but following on from the 16-month development cycle of MW3, they basically refused and didn't want to become a "year 2 support studio"."

Can they....do that?
I'm guessing that after managing to ship MW3 they have enough clout to at least say "No Thanks, let us work on a 3 Year COD".

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
They just refused? To be a fly on that wall...
And it's completely understandable, too. MW3 is an awful, awful game through and through, and you can clearly see that these devs tried their best with the time they had. Releasing a product like that must feel terrible for someone who appreciates their own work. You'd think that this would be a wake-up call for Activision to take a year off, or maybe even just extend Gulf War's lifecycle with an actual premium expansion like Zombies Chronicles to fill their schedule (think AC Valhalla releasing a third expansion pack to give Mirage, Red and Hexe more time), but things don't seem to be changing so far.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how Raven would do if they were ever given the lead on COD development. Their work on the COD4 remaster was stellar.

Can they....do that?

With Kotick gone and Activision under new leadership, I suppose it's possible.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
I get it. But they're going to fucking destroy the brand at this point
Oh I don't disagree, I still can't believe they thought changing MW2 DLC into MW3 was wise, but at this point it feels like every other COD game has huge development issues and they're just going to barrel through the issues rather than do the simple solution

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Just give this years CoD another year of support dont need a new 2025 release.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
fuck it, give the brand a big break and eat the cost to develop longer

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
Good on SHG. Hopefully MS considers a year off or something to get things rolling correctly for upcoming years.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
2024 is going to be historically bad for xbox, it seems.. Wow, just one bad news story after another

genericbrand

Oct 28, 2017
Feel like those dreams of Activision studios stopping being CoD support studios and back to making their own games is a distant dream

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
god the wheels were really falling off at activision. wonder how bad it would have gotten if microsoft didn't bail them out. makes the golden parachutes all the more infuriating

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
This is likely not the case since this action was probably done in advance but I wonder if this is the reason why SHG got shafted as much as they did in the layoffs.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If they're so desperate for a Call of Duty EVERY year, get a studio to remaster the original two Black Ops games or something. What they should've done with the original Modern Warfare instead of the weird piecemeal treatment 2009 got.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, now that it's under Microsoft can't they just.... Not release a 2025 game? Does there absolutely NEED to be a 2025 CoD?

CoD is a massive part of Activision's revenue. They can't just stop making them, ESPECIALLY now that the heat is on for Microsoft to pay off the money they spent GETTING them.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
And it's completely understandable, too. MW3 is an awful, awful game through and through, and you can clearly see that these devs tried their best with the time they had. Releasing a product like that must feel terrible for someone who appreciates their own work. You'd think that this would be a wake-up call for Activision to take a year off, or maybe even just extend Gulf War's lifecycle with an actual premium expansion like Zombies Chronicles to fill their schedule (think AC Valhalla releasing a third expansion pack to give Mirage, Red and Hexe more time), but things don't seem to be changing so far.
If BF7 does comes out during fall 2025 and COD is troubled again, they could not have asked for more.

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is going on there? It was a well oiled machine for years

For a time they got a healthy rotation where 3 studios got 3 years to work on their game, but one time a project didn't come together at the end and second studio got pulled on it to help and that threw wrench into entire setup.

I think best thing Microsoft can do is to even take a year off, but just to get back to that model of 3 years/3 studios.

Most importantly tho they need to bring black Blackout!!!!