JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
They gotta sort this shit out because it's been downhill for years now and the only schmucks they got talking highly of these games are the ones that get paid to and put in white-listed lobbies.

The recent talk they did about SBMM and other things was dire and the fan base isn't buying what these devs are selling. Microsoft buying them ain't going to magically make this better with how they handle there own IP.

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
For those asking if SledgeHammer could just refuse the lead for CoD 2025, remember that the recent Xbox layoffs had an outsized impact of SHG. I think the reporting said they lost 30% of their dev team?

If they did refuse, they were punished for it.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
CoD is a massive part of Activision's revenue. They can't just stop making them, ESPECIALLY now that the heat is on for Microsoft to pay off the money they spent GETTING them.

They should ask LucasFilm what happens when you have an annual mandate that must be kept at all cost.

Something's gotta give eventually I would think

Man I don't envy Phil

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They should ask LucasFilm what happens when you have an annual mandate that must be kept at all cost.

Something's gotta give eventually I would think

Man I don't envy Phil

The problem is that CoD is the cornerstone of Activision. It'd be like EA no longer releasing FIFA (or whatever the hell they call it now) and Madden. When you lose that, then what?

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between being a "year 2 support studio" and the lead developer.

Something seems very off here.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
How did they get this so wrong again?

Don't blame SHG for saying no to the short development time. MW3 was a joke because of this exact thing, so good on them for not wanting to just release another shitty product.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
This is such a tricky situation. The production is clearly a mess and yet the games sell 20M easily every year, just imagine what guts it would take to sign off on skipping a year. Any executive/producer at MS who can fix the CoD pipeline should get very rich very easily lol.

If BF7 does comes out during fall 2025 and COD is troubled again, they could not have asked for more.
People say this everytime BF comes out lol, and everytime people are surprised by the outcome.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
The problem is that CoD is the cornerstone of Activision. It'd be like EA no longer releasing FIFA (or whatever the hell they call it now) and Madden. When you lose that, then what?

If Lucas film were independent of Disney wouldn't that also be the cornerstone for their studio? Now that they are under the Microsoft umbrella you would think they could absorb a one year absence in order to save the brand just like Disney did with Star wars (actually Disney had a several year gap that's still on going)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If Lucas film were independent of Disney wouldn't that also be the cornerstone for their studio? Now that they are under the Microsoft umbrella you would think they could absorb a one year absence in order to save the brand just like Disney did with Star wars (actually Disney had a several year gap that's still on going)

The problem is that Microsoft isn't in a position to tank their revenue for a whole year like that. They just spent 70 billion dollars buying Activision. They actually need to make money off of that acquisition, not sit on it for a couple years to "save the brand" - a brand that makes astronomical amounts of money even when they fuck it up.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
This is such a tricky situation. The production is clearly a mess and yet the games sell 20M easily every year, just imagine what guts it would take to sign off on skipping a year. Any executive/producer at MS who can fix the CoD pipeline should get very rich very easily lol.

People say this everytime BF comes out lol, and everytime people are surprised by the outcome.
Hey, you cannot control what they do with the good fortune like when 2042 launched against Vanguard.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If I were a studio hit with a meaningful number of layoffs and was offered a contract for what I knew to be a crunch-level project timeline under even normal circumstances, I'd fucking refuse too.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
The problem is that Microsoft isn't in a position to tank their revenue for a whole year like that. They just spent 70 billion dollars buying Activision. They actually need to make money off of that acquisition, not sit on it for a couple years to "save the brand" - a brand that makes astronomical amounts of money even when they fuck it up.

That's fair. Lucas in contrast only cost Disney 4b and they made that back pretty quick

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda felt like Kotick was selling ABK just as he'd driven the wheels off it, Activision was nothing but CoD, Blizzard in arguably its worst position ever, and King at maximum achievable value for what they do.

Come to find out he also had a multi-year survival game at Blizzard burning cash and going nowhere, had massively over hired to prop up their GaaS content pipelines, and had the main framework of that pipeline, CoD annual releases, in complete disarray and on the verge of collapse.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
They just refused.

Also in very recent headlines: "30% of Slegehammer Games was laid off."

What was the order of operations to those events? And would any laid off people like them to reconsider their answer?

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
god forbid the humans behind the brand be given time to rest and create
When you get into the COD business, creativity kind of goes out the window. It's about having a product on shelves in November with a functional multiplayer. That's a billion dollar equation. And while I agree that it would be awesome for COD to take a few years off to freshen up, that's a different business model that does not apply here. Look at other threads to see how much pressure is under the XBox team to start making big profits. You don't do that by canceling COD's.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda felt like Kotick was selling ABK just as he'd driven the wheels off it, Activision was nothing but CoD, Blizzard in arguably its worst position ever, and King at maximum achievable value for what they do.

Come to find out he also had a multi-year survival game at Blizzard burning cash and going nowhere, had massively over hired to prop up their GaaS content pipelines, and had the main framework of that pipeline, CoD annual releases, in complete disarray and on the verge of collapse.
Sounds like Kotick sold MS a lemon.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
When you get into the COD business, creativity kind of goes out the window. It's about having a product on shelves in November with a functional multiplayer. That's a billion dollar equation. And while I agree that it would be awesome for COD to take a few years off to freshen up, that's a different business model that does not apply here. Look at other threads to see how much pressure is under the XBox team to start making big profits. You don't do that by canceling COD's.
no matter how much Activision or Microsoft might hope otherwise, robots are not making CoD yet

as long as humans are needed
humans can refuse

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol I don't know if they can, but Sledgehammer did well. They've been done dirty so many times.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Fuck this franchise and all the careers, mental health and physical wellbeing it's killing. Moreover, fuck Activision and every last cretin in charge that mismanages these studios.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
The CoD mines really are mines, right? The layoff gun pointed to your head and the pressure to deliver more and more with less people with less time. Nightmare stuff.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
They should have done the update plan for 2023 because that only created more issues for them.

2025 should just be skipped to give all the developers a year to get back on track.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to see what microsoft does on this decision. What studio gonna get pulled to help.

Rare?

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I don't blame SHG for saying fuck no to that, they just pulled off an insane feat on even getting mw3 over the line in at least a decent state. Does it have issues? Absolutely but dear god was it better imo than mw2 overall.

Aside from that, the fact they just had a bunch of staff laid off over bullshit reasons, they have every right to tell Xbox/MS higher up to kick dirt with that shit.

Still, seems another cluster fuck is coming if this isn't sorted soon and Xbox needs to sort this out or it's going to be a PR disaster for MS/Xbox.

Chippewa Barr