higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Obviously this means you should scrap CoD 2025 and place all resources toward Pro Skater 3 & 4 HD

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how Infinity Ward gets to just get by scot free by not helping any of the other studios. They always get a full 3 years of development time with multiple studios helping them out but you never see them having to be rushed to put a game together in a short time frame.

In a way that's good for the employees but it seems so unfair to Treyarch and Sledgehammer who get fucked with shorter releases while IW gets seemingly special treatment.
Infinity Ward helped on the MWIII campaign.
most if the writing and cutscenes are IW

SpiralEngine

Jul 6, 2023
MS throwing more studios into the CoD mines to get next year's product out the door is the last thing I would want from all of MS's acquisitions, not that I was happy with them to begin with.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If CoD explodes and Microsoft is left holding the bag after giving Bobby Kotick a golden-gilded parachute the size of a football stadium, I'm gonna be pissed.

Oct 26, 2017
I was worried about this. Right now the rumor is 2025 is supposed to be another MW3 style game, but for Black Ops 2. At least it means 2024 is getting a ton of attention from Treyarch, could be the best one since 2019 at this rate.

Oct 26, 2017

I'm guessing the case was their history of treatment under Activision as a CoD studio.

MW3 was made in ~18 months and resulted in the cancelation of Sledgehammer's first project, a third person Vietnam game.
AW was the first three year dev cycle CoD, and has been a title Sledgehammer has routinely expressed interest in making a sequel to
WWII was a result of Sledgehammer being made to do a more traditional CoD instead of AW2
Creative differences resulted in Sledgehammer departing from doing Black Ops Cold War (probably another project they were made to do instead of AW2)
Vanguard was made in under 2 years
MWIII was made in 16 months

For comparison, Infinity Ward has always had steady 2-3 year development cycles, with other studios having projects canceled to support them (MW3 and Ghosts, the later resulting in NeverSoft merging with IW). Alongside that, Treyarch has been given a 4 year dev cycle (longest in CoD history) after being put on Black Ops Cold War.

Apr 3, 2020
I still don't understand how Infinity Ward gets to just get by scot free by not helping any of the other studios. They always get a full 3 years of development time with multiple studios helping them out but you never see them having to be rushed to put a game together in a short time frame.

In a way that's good for the employees but it seems so unfair to Treyarch and Sledgehammer who get fucked with shorter releases while IW gets seemingly special treatment.

IIRC, Sledgehammer had an issues with their project that was back then "supposed to be CoD2020" after the founders of the studio and key devs left the studio.

So Activision to save the cycle, told Treyarch to push their 2021 CoD a year earlier (Cold War), so to release the game in this timeframe, they got Raven and Sledgehammer to co develop the game, in return Treyarch got 4 years devs to develop their next CoD which will be this year's CoD.

So what I'm trying to say, it's just their luck, it's just happened they are ones after SHG game, but things happened.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
The big winner

bobby_kotick.png

The wheels were already falling off, which was apparent with Vanguard. Just about managed to keep the music going by sacrificing almost everything else till the deal closed.

The franchise needs a downtime and a proper reset, but don't think MS has the time for that. In all likelihood there will be further cuttings and downsizing while other MS studios are thrown into the fire to keep it going.

Last edited:

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
MS spent 70bn getting CoD (and other things), then lay off CoD devs, when the IP was already in trouble before the merger, jeopardising the brand further. I don't get it.

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is going on there? It was a well oiled machine for years
1. 3 jetpack games in row.
This had people hating Infinite Warfare and bomb
This forced Advanced Warfare 2 to dropped in favor of WWII
This also fucked Black Ops 4 over because they had to cut jetpacks and shit so late in development (some MP maps still designed for it)

2. Sledgehammer management ignored all feedback on WWII causing a well selling game to have the worst drop off for a COD.
Sledgehammer management is fired.

3. Sledgehammer refuses to get along and work under Raven on Cold War.
Treyarch has to turn around immediately after launching BO4 in 2018 and get under 2 years on Cold War(2020 being the first Covid year)

4. MW19 had enough content for a year 2 covering 2021, but Activision didn't use Covid to delay Cold War.

5. MWIII was supposed to be a DLC but they forced it into a full game.
So Sledgehammer had to turn around do it in 2 years(this is why Vanguard support was shit)

Activision won't go a year without a $70 release and Sledgehammer kinda screwed themselves sadly

Last edited:

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Maybe they should take a year off? Or has Microsoft confirmed they will continue to release a yearly title no matter what?

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Activision won't go a year without a $70 release and Sledgehammer kinda screwed themselves sadly

And it is kinda hard to justify passing on that 70$ annual release from a bean counter pov.
On the Circana Top 10 Year to Date 2023, MW3 is 2nd and MW2 is 7th.
There is this narrative of "CoD is a mess these days" on era, but mass market keeps buying.

From a consumer pov I really wish they would take a year off and revitalize the franchise but from a shareholder pov......
https://kotaku.com/call-of-duty-mw3-mwiii-sales-numbers-top-selling-2023-1851096501
Worst-Reviewed Call Of Duty Ever Has Already Outsold Zelda: TotK

View: https://media2.giphy.com/media/WOg0LrbAk6Srufhemo/200.gif?cid=95b27944q9h487wi5uu6fwutd88rrmdvynho1twx5kxn57xr&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=200.gif&ct=g

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Those dev cycles are barely sustainable. CoD does not need to be a yearly game anymore. Hell, I think this franchise needs a major shakeup as it's already overstaying its welcome, and I think sales data for the past couple releases can strengthen it