MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
This looks like it might be a tough watch. Throat cancer has apparently destroyed his voice. Narrated by Val's son, Jack Kilmer.

In theatres (limited release): July 23.
On Amazon Prime Video (US): August 6.

MV5BNWUzMDA5MzMtYzU5Yy00M2U3LTg5YWUtYTk1NmY0ZDJhOGU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX480_.jpg

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When you hear his current voice... yeah that's tough. He really seems to make the best of it though

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
What happened to him is very sad but I presume his being a Christian scientist meant he didn't get timely treatment for his cancer.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's tough, indeed. Feel bad whenever I see him now - him and Tim Curry. They seem to be making the most of what was dealt to them, but it's still rough.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That trailer was depressing. Val Kilmer never had the career he deserved in my opinion. It sucks.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Yeah this is going to be a tough watch. Val Kilmer has always been one of my favourite actors. Heart-breaking to see him (or anyone) like this.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, had no idea about the cancer. That sucks. Will definitely watch this, but it's certainly gonna be rough.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I read on his wikipedia recently that he's recovered but as of now uses a feeding tube because he can't eat properly anymore. Feel for him. He's had a phenomenal voice. Once I found out he voiced Moses in Prince of Egypt, I was amazed. Loved that movie a lot. While of course he didn't sing, his voice as Moses is memorable to me.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Man, that's rough. When I was a kid, I thought that Val Kilmer was legit the coolest motherfucker in the galaxy. And as I got older, I came to appreciate his talent and charisma more and more. Hell, he was the main reason I rented that godawful Island of Dr. Moreau movie so many fucking times.

Oct 26, 2017
Glad this is a project. Love the man's work and was rooting for him ever since Michael Douglas opened his mouth about his condition on Letterman. These past few years have been fucking rough on the guy

Madmartigan is one of my fav on-screen characters

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
That's a massive amount of footage to have on your own life, but can you imagine the amount of good behind the scenes footage he's captured?

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Swear to god, after watching the making of footage of the interaction between Val and Werner Herzog on the set of Bad Lieutenant, I'd watch a whole movie about just that, so everything I see hear is just magical.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Val is such a unique dude. Seems like he loved playing weirder non-lead characters the most, even if he easily carried blockbusters himself when needed.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Not all the time to get to see this much into somebody's life and career. Shame about what the cancer did to his voice. I was happy to hear that he's still working in films despite it.

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
Aw man that was sad to watch. Crazy he never had a bigger career. I had no idea he had a tracheostomy but I am happy to hear he's been living cancer free for a few years now.

Oct 27, 2017
Val is such a unique dude. Seems like he loved playing weirder non-lead characters the most, even if he easily carried blockbusters himself when needed.
Yep. Leading man looks, charisma off the charts but leaned into character actor roles. He's had a great and interesting career but I don't think Hollywood quite figured out what to do with him.

Also everyone go watch Top Secret! right now

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I gotta watch this

I always found his performances very captivating to watch. He stole every scene in Tombstone, went toe to toe with Pacino and Deniro in Heat, was mesmerising in The Doors. He is also my favourite on film Batman/Bruce despite the film itself being not so great.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably one of his lesser known films and it's nothing spectacular by any means but I really enjoyed it and found it fun.:
81q46zDE5WS._SY445_.jpg

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
curious to know what happened to his career circa late 90s/early 00s. i heard he became pretty insufferable to work with up to a point

though the movie will obviously have a biased take on that time frame, if it even addresses it at all

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Probably one of his lesser known films and it's nothing spectacular by any means but I really enjoyed it and found it fun.:
81q46zDE5WS._SY445_.jpg
I stan for this movie endlessly - some nice on-location shots in London and Oxford, great chemistry and the story behind the making of the movie was intriguing too.

Its the music, however, that does it for me - I'd say that at least on a weekly basis, maybe even more, I listen to the Orchestral Score all the way through - it's a damn good piece(s) of work!

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, and heartbreaking.

If anyone is in the mood for a similar type of film, Soleil Moon Frye released a documentary based on a collection of her old home videos as well.

Oct 25, 2017
curious to know what happened to his career circa late 90s/early 00s. i heard he became pretty insufferable to work with up to a point

though the movie will obviously have a biased take on that time frame, if it even addresses it at all

Well, one of his best movies came out in 2005. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is so good

Oct 28, 2017
Will definitely give this a watch. Think it will be tough, but I've enjoyed all his other work and he's earned my viewership.

And as always, fuck cancer!

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This dude always came off as a little bit of a weirdo in his performances; I think that's why I've enjoyed his work so much.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
People often say about Brad Pitt that he was a character actor in a leading man's body and Val Kilmer sort of felt like the Proto Pitt in a lot of those ways. Had a way to really just play such diverse and sometimes unrecognizable roles, even though towards the end of the 90s he started to embrace the blockbuster/leading man type of roles a little more.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That trailer was depressing. Val Kilmer never had the career he deserved in my opinion. It sucks.

His early 90s trajectory to the 2000s where he ended up is an insane 180...The Doors, Tombstone, Batman Forever then Heat and straight downhill from there even though I did enjoy the Saint & Salton Sea later on.

He had a recent article done on him too and it really does seem like he's making the most of what he has now which is awesome. Enjoy life while you still got one ya know? Good for him.