• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
All the viral videos that have come out of the shoplifting are crazy. People literally don't give a fuck because there are no consequences. The security can't do anything because of liability and the SF DA won't prosecute these types of crimes.

This one is across the bay in Alameda

also to be clear it's not just Walgreens/CVS it's any retail stores. The Gap downtown closed too. This video goes into it more:

Wow. This is so fucked up.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
All the viral videos that have come out of the shoplifting are crazy. People literally don't give a fuck because there are no consequences. The security can't do anything because of liability and the SF DA won't prosecute these types of crimes.

This one is across the bay in Alameda

also to be clear it's not just Walgreens/CVS it's any retail stores. The Gap downtown closed too. This video goes into it more:

Damn near every jurisdiction in the country has police that won't go after petty crimes. This isn't unique to SF.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I've heard from some people that the police themselves are letting things like this slide because they're at odds with the city government wanting to hold them accountable; so ostensibly they're "creating" a problem that they can later solve.

I have absolutely nothing to back this up though, could be speculation or conjecture.

I wouldn't be surprised. Police do this fairly often as they control crime statistics as it is.

Fake news, its just corpo greed!

These are felonies, except one that I can tell, so the fake news is the narrative that the DA isn't prosecuting enough misdemeanors. Seems like the police aren't enforcing the laws. Why? Not sure.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe don't steal. I've seen morons online having their friends record them stealing for social media clout. A lot of stores started arming their security guards because people heard there'd be no punishment for stealing. Imagine being a business owner and having thieves walk out of your store without paying. Stealing should be ok though right guys?

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Large scale theft isn't a problem in San Francisco, just a way to blame minorities and the poor.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The data in post 42 seems to disagree.
That post didn't show any national comparison data that I could see when it comes to jurisdictions prosecuting petty crimes. In my experience, you get to fill out an online form and that's about as far as it goes. Article also seems to show that crimes like shoplifting are down quite a bit in SF. Around 14%.

Just seems like there is more going on beyond petty theft issues causing a store closure.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Maybe don't steal. I've seen morons online having their friends record them stealing for social media clout. A lot of stores started arming their security guards because people heard there'd be no punishment for stealing. Imagine being a business owner and having thieves walk out of your store without paying. Stealing should be ok though right guys?

This is an odd take. I don't think anyone is saying stealing is a good thing.

Many of us don't trust large corporations, media at large, nor police to tell the whole truth.

And some of us, myself included, think the bigger problem is racial and wealth inequality in SF as well as the fact that wage theft from workers is far more costly than any of this.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's confusing to me that these conversations are always about the SF DA's policy and not the wild income inequality in the Bay Area
Income Inequality does not justify brazen theft. If you need to steal a loaf of bread to survive etc. sure that's one thing. raiding stores and grabbing whatever you can get your hands on so you can then sell it for 2-3 times the price on amazon is inexcusable and sure as fuck has moves well beyond any sort of moral justifications people may try to dig up

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Income Inequality does not justify brazen theft. If you need to steal a loaf of bread to survive etc. sure that's one thing. raiding stores and grabbing whatever you can get your hands on so you can then sell it for 2-3 times the price on amazon is inexcusable and sure as fuck has moves well beyond any sort of moral justifications people may try to dig up

Nobody is arguing that theft is justified, but there has always been a tangible link between crime in general and poverty rates.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm a little confused.

I'm not confused on whether Walgreens is a POS, so let's leave that out of the equation for a second.

Is there a rampant shoplifting problem in SF or is it overblown? We have posters who live there saying it's a problem, and others who say nah, it's not that big of a deal.
Well that depends. If someone lives in SF and has had to experience things? Yes, it's a problem. If not, it's not a problem, and hey, why aren't we talking about wage theft and income inequality instead?

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of retail chains have a "do not confront" policy for shoplifting now. If you catch or suspect theft all you can do is just quietly report it to the manager. At least in my experience, all the valuable stuff was locked up and if people stole minor items it wouldn't hurt the bottom line and it's not worth getting the cops involved.

I remember some of my conservative coworkers making a big stink about this, and how California was a lawless shit hole under democratic leadership or whatever.

Nov 2, 2017
"Shoplifting is out of control"

jku1av0qfqt31.jpg

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I know a lot of retail chains have a "do not confront" policy for shoplifting now. If you catch or suspect theft all you can do is just quietly report it to the manager. At least in my experience, all the valuable stuff was locked up and if people stole minor items it wouldn't hurt the bottom line and it's not worth getting the cops involved.

I remember some of my conservative coworkers making a big stink about this, and how California was a lawless shit hole under democratic leadership or whatever.
Because if someone has to physically defend the store's property and gets injured doing so the company could have a big lawsuit on their hands. They'll easily eat the shrink than risk that.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Because this thread isn't about that? Both can and are problematic.

One is far more problematic than the other. The media at large wants us to be upset over this but says nothing about wage theft which is far worse. We need to ask why that is.

I was being facetious. Lots of people who don't live in SF always looking to change the subject.

Well, why aren't the police doing anything about this? It isn't about misdemeanors since it's, according to the article in the OP, attributed to organized crime. It seems the idea that the DA isn't prosecuting misdemeanors isn't it. So what is it?

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
This isn't a Walgreens thing, its a staffing thing. All of these companies are complicit in the rise of ORC simply because there is no one on the floor to deter this kind of theft. It would be silly to think that all of ORC activities would be halted by having one more Walgreens employee on the floor, but it would certainly help in reducing some ORC hits.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling I'm not going to get an unbiased look at what is going on here.

Oct 29, 2017
That's not always the case with Walgreens theft.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Reading our local Nextdoor there have been topics about people seeing theft. Some real weirdos wanting employees to be allowed to tase people until the police arrive.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
All these brick and mortar stores blaming shoplifting for abandoning SF are full of shit. One dude with a garbage bag isn't bringing down multi-million dollar corporations.
how are you not factoring in rent cost at a store in san francisco? if it was a walgreens in any other place they would likely just stay open but i bet the rent in those locations is likely double or triple what they would be in other places.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
how are you not factoring in rent cost at a store in san francisco? if it was a walgreens in any other place they would likely just stay open but i bet the rent in those locations is likely double or triple what they would be in other places.

EDIT: Misread.

I do wonder about the other stores in SF. What are their rates like? Why are they still open?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this reminds me. my dad used to go thru walgreens trash (probably still does idk) and they throw away alot of good shit. im surprised shoplifters dont seem to try going thru store trash first as they tend to really throw out alot of decent stuff.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
^yeah zero'd and penny'd items are where it's at!
So you have a low risk, high reward way to make money for nothing, and everybody knows it. Even around where I live, a fairly suburban area "in demand" items like toothpaste and detergent and stuff have started to get locked up.

Whether that's enough to drive a Walgreens out of business? Dunno about that, but I'm sure it hits the bottom line and corporations will take any excuse to make cuts.
i remember when I used to work retail and we had some known thieves that would come in and take shelf full of clothes. it was a headache and just kept corporate up our ass all the time.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
i remember when I used to work retail and we had some known thieves that would come in and take shelf full of clothes. it was a headache and just kept corporate up our ass all the time.
At Costco we had people pull a "rear exit" all the time.

They'd load up a cart with a bunch of high value items, then dash for the exit in the back where there was a waiting car, made the alarm go off, but fuck all else happened.

I don't think they got caught once.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Fake news, its just corpo greed!
I dont really understand how this is relevant at all... its like the reverse alt-righter "if the police murder white ppl mainstream media doesnt care".
Are you a Walgreens shareholder by any chance
One is far more problematic than the other. The media at large wants us to be upset over this but says nothing about wage theft which is far worse. We need to ask why that is.
Weird how none of the articles mention the local community outreach Walgreens is funding, all the work they do to give back to the community

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Well, why aren't the police doing anything about this? It isn't about misdemeanors since it's, according to the article in the OP, attributed to organized crime. It seems the idea that the DA isn't prosecuting misdemeanors isn't it. So what is it?
I wasn't looking to answer that; I only gave the perspectives of people who live in SF wrt how much shoplifting is a thing vs common refrains from those who don't live there.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.sfchronicle.com

Is shoplifting forcing Walgreens to cut back in S.F.? Data on the closing stores puts the claim into perspective

The timing of Walgreens’ decision to close five stores in San Francisco led observers...

Boy these numbers sure don't add up to the shoplifting narrative as to why these stores are closing.
shoplifting is pretty much a rounding error for those companies, when they complain but don't talk hard numbers you know they are full of shit. like if they had the hard numbers to back the insinuation that shoplifting made those stores not economically viable you can bet your ass they would be out there with graphs and receipts.

Sorry for repeating myself from the last page but I don't know how else to say it -
Open the books and show us how much you actually lose on shoplifting or shut the fuck up.

edit:

Last edited:

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All these brick and mortar stores blaming shoplifting for abandoning SF are full of shit. One dude with a garbage bag isn't bringing down multi-million dollar corporations.
Millions of stuff is being stolen and resold, it's a thing and gangs hire homeless people to do it because they have nothing to lose.

There's a reason why Home Depot/target hire their own security, stuff gets stolen and there's no profit, if nobody cared then they wouldn't need security but they do.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
This is what happens when media uncritically regurgitates bullshit straight from corporate, and law enforcement PR departments. Petty theft definitely happens, and is brazen in some instances, but it isn't running these multi-billion dollar corporations out.

We had a thread about it a few months ago:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ta...response-to-theft-and-safety-concerns.454234/

Also, Citations Needed had a podcast specifically about this nonsense:
https://citationsneeded.medium.com/...c-panic-hits-san-francisco-media-b044c0f78bfa

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
So what is it, then? The OP doesn't give much commentary on what makes Walgreens different from Rite Aid in this regard. Is the speculation that they're just looking for an excuse to get out of SF?

The same thing that has Amazon laying off 18,000, Salesforce laying off 10 percent of their workforce etc etc. Its the economy. But this is a very very easy scapegoat.

This shoplifting issue is definitely a problem, Im not saying that it isn't. Just that the idea that a whole chunk of stores are closing solely because of it is likely bullshit. Zoom out a bit and google 'layoffs' and 'closures' and you will see this has been trending for many companies for a while now.

This is what happens when media uncritically regurgitates bullshit straight from corporate, and law enforcement PR departments. Petty theft definitely happens, and is brazen in some instances, but it isn't running these multi-billion dollar corporations out.

We had a thread about it a few months ago:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ta...response-to-theft-and-safety-concerns.454234/

Also, Citations Needed had a podcast specifically about this nonsense:
https://citationsneeded.medium.com/...c-panic-hits-san-francisco-media-b044c0f78bfa

Exactly. Its really troubling seeing the kneejerk reactions to this stuff solely because people were fed that sensationalist bullshit by news media.