• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
i bought a purple 2 2 years ago, by far the comfiest and coolest mattress I have ever slept on.

Sep 15, 2020
We recently replaced a full with a mattress from Costco - too firm for me but for the family members we bought it for, its been great.

It was originally $599 was on sale for $499 when we bought it. They priced it down to what it is now within 30 days and we were able to get $100 credit for it just filling out the form online.

Buydig was doing sales on Simmons Beautyrest BRX-800 model a few months ago. Grabbed a twin and a queen and they've been great. Discount brought it down to around $3-400, a little cheaper for the twin.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Ugh, I can't find any latex mattress companies that are in (or ship to) Canada who make firm mattresses. Does anyone have any leads? All I can find are latex mattresses that aren't firm, or latex mattresses that also contain memory foam or coils.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I hate my mattress, it was expensive and we bought it after a long search and it really was good for 2 months. Like the best mattress I've ever slept on.

But the memory foam, or whatever, doesn't bounce back and eventually you're sleeping in a divot.

I need to keep swiveling it around but even then it seems to go out of shape faster and faster. It's been two years or so, and we are already looking for a replacement.

What's stopping us from pulling the trigger is we don't know how to do it without getting burned again. we researched last time and still got a crappy one. So reviews and trying them out short term don't actually help when getting a mattress.

This is actually happening to me right now ;_; I bought a nice memory foam mattress and it's starting to have sunken spots I've only had it for like 1 1/2 years. I'm very annoyed right now.

The memory foam is supposed to contour to you body. It should keep a sort of imprint of your body where you sleep on it, it's keeping a memory of your body not the original square shape, it should bounce back a little bit but when you lie down again it should softly conform to your sleeping position. It should feel like a gentle embrace not a pothole.

If the foam is collapsing and sinking all of the place it's worth checking out with the store you got it from, most should have 5-10 year manufacturers warranty.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that why most of these mattress companies offer like a 90 day return policy?

If I recall for Casper and for similar companies, they just make you donate the mattress if you don't like it and they refund you in full.
Yup. They do this cause they know most won't go through the process of returning and trying a bunch of different beds. Me, hell no. If I'm spending that tour of money I'm getting my worth and gonna be sure. I went through Casper, tuft and needle, leesa and ended up with the Alexander hybrid from nest bedding. Foam sucks on its own, but together with spring outs amazing.

bigf00t

Jul 9, 2018
Ugh, I can't find any latex mattress companies that are in (or ship to) Canada who make firm mattresses. Does anyone have any leads? All I can find are latex mattresses that aren't firm, or latex mattresses that also contain memory foam or coils.
I'm in BC, and I bought a firm 100% latex mattress from a local foam shop called The Foam Zone. I suspect you probably have something similar in a nearby city, and they'd probably deliver.

It was one of the best purchases I've ever made. Cali King 6" thick for $1500, and 7 years later it's still as firm as day one. No sunken spots, no wear.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I'm in BC, and I bought a firm 100% latex mattress from a local foam shop called The Foam Zone. I suspect you probably have something similar in a nearby city, and they'd probably deliver.

It was one of the best purchases I've ever made. Cali King 6" thick for $1500, and 7 years later it's still as firm as day one. No sunken spots, no wear.

Amazing! Thank you - I'll investigate them. Bet they deliver to other provinces.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Mattress stores seem way too car dealership-ish to me. I just went into Sams club and tested some out and it was great.
I'm very happy with my mattress from Sams club and it was hassle free experience.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
It's overwhelming at first but there's a few unbiased resources you can rely on out there.

Mattress Ratings You Can Actually Trust : Top Rated Mattresses 2019 : Unbiased Reviews : Sleep Like The Dead

Mattress ratings you can actually trust. Sleep Like The Dead provides detailed, unbiased reviews and ratings on hundreds of mattresses based on over 26200 actual consumer experiences. Comprehensive comparisons are also provided.

Also you can try most brands in store, just be prepared to say no to salesman etc.

Ended up with a King Sealy Kelburn II. We love it.
Echoing this. With how involved I am (hell, let's just say we) with the gaming industry and reviews, it's so surprising to see an actual range of scores & ratings for products with a true F to A ranking.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, what's a good frame? In Canada. I'm looking at amazon.ca and every frame is 90% five-stars, 10% "this hunk of junk fell apart in a week."

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
We bought an organic latex mattress from a local place here in Seattle this year. I was not expecting them to be as expensive as they are, but it was definitely worth it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I went to try out a purple and according to the sales rep, all of their mattresses go up by $300 on the 19th. Prepare, the purplocalypse is upon us!

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Lots of reviews about the purple beds sagging after a couple years. I need a bed that will realistically last me a full 10 years and isn't stupid priced. Apparently sleep number isn't the quality I thought it was either.

Edit: Purple has a D rating on BBB. No thanks. Looking at a Tuft and Needle Mint right now.

Last edited:

Xairi

Oct 28, 2020
Yea hubby and I are in the process of moving to an apartment, and we're a bit overwhelmed

Oct 27, 2017
My purple arrived in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately I failed to realize my old mattress was not a queen. So I need a new bed frame. And I need to get rid of my box spring.

Steve9842017

Nov 7, 2017
We bought a Tempurpedic ProAdapt Firm (I believe it was the firmest bed they had at the time) a few years back and absolutely love it. It's hard going on vacation and sleeping on anything else at this point.

Try literally everything you can, and lay on it for as long as possible before committing. Even after picking this bed, we went back several times just to lay on the demo before pulling the trigger.

We tried a bed in the box company prior to this and while it was great at first, it quickly became way way too soft.

jleo

Aug 12, 2021
Ikea mattresses kinda suck. They sag in the middle.
I've had Ikea bed frames and mattresses at multiple price points, and I was so furious with the absolute shit quality of all of them (never, ever move your Ikea furniture) that I vowed to never buy any furniture there again.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
I just went to Ikea and bought their cheapest Foam Mattress. It's a lot better than the one I had since I no longer wake up with back or neck pains. To be fair that other mattress was like 20+ years old.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I love the reviews of beds that go "best sleep I've ever had!" Then follow it up with a "we've only had it for a few months.

Unless these reviewers have had the bed for 2+ years then their opinion is worthless.

I want to see how these beds are lasting long term. Because Purple has a D rating by the BBB and every long term review I've read says it's shit.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up getting a Dozy after visiting the showroom here in Toronto. The beds are locally made, and it seems like they provide good service. No-pressure sales technique, and they left me alone when I was trying out the beds which was nice. When I came back after comparison shopping a couple of weeks after my initial visit, I made sure to ask if they had any promos on, and they gave me a $100 discount which they said was from Canada Day. That was nice of them to do in September. I had come in hoping for a Labour Day promo, but I'll take it.

Unfortunately, ahead of delivery last night they informed me that the platform bed is back-ordered 3-4 weeks. I wish they could have told me in the store, Saturday. They offered to loan me a boxspring in the meanwhile but to "keep it in the plastic." I declined because I didn't want to bother with bringing it up two flights of narrow stairs. They also said they could process a refund, which I also declined.

It was pouring rain and the delivery dude (I think they work for Dozy directly) sprinted across the street with the mattress on his head like a pro. I was kind of worried it might get wet, but the bag encasing the mattress was fully sealed in heavy duty plastic.

The delivery guys did offer to carry the mattress up for me (hybrid spring/foam, so it was fully expanded on delivery) but I had my brother with me, so we just did it ourselves.

On hindsight, I should have taken it up the stairs in the bag first, rather than remove it from the bag on the ground floor. The bag probably would have made it easier to grip.

First night I slept on it pretty well, and woke up relaxed. Hopefully the bed doesn't sag or anything.

In anticipation, as well as malice towards my old bed, I completely dismantled it the day of. The frame was kind of busted. I plopped my new mattress back on the skeleton of the base of the frame, sans legs (which were broken) just to keep it off the ground for now.

Hopefully they don't give me the runaround on the platform.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Tuft & Needle back in 2016 and am still 100% satisfied with it. I have it on a Kopardal bed frame from Ikea which seems to be discontinued or out of stock at the moment. I recommend that frame if you can find it. It's a metal frame that is very sturdy.

bigosc

Oct 27, 2017
Never buy super high end mattress it's just a waste of money, when I was beds coworker at IKEA, I hardly ever pushed for mattresses that cost $899 and above. If you're a natural warm sleeper, avoid getting foam mattresses as they trap in heat, stick to spring or latex (unless you're a allergic to latex), if you're a back and side sleeper go with firm mattress, foam being the firmest and if you're a side and stomach go with medium firm. If you're lucky to have an ikea near you for foam go with morgedal it's the firmest and spring with haugesund for just a basic spring with no extra stuff needed and haugsvar the next one up with a small built in pillowtop inside but without all the extra crazy stuff.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
What a timely thread. My current mattress is about 8 years old now and after sleeping at my gf's a bunch on her King size, I kinda feel like upgrading.

I'll definitely check out Texas Mattress since they seem to have decent prices and good word of mouth.