• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the campaign, but I doubt I'd pay for the expansions at his point if they're not on GP.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
What's the point of preorders if you can't even generally match production to the preorders. Charge people a small deposit around when you spin up production to test commitment and then make the things that people want :<. That sucks :( I just started playing this game yesterday. Not sure I'm ready for another murder detective-ing game after something that ended up being warmer like Citizen Sleeper (and after other games like 999 and Danganronpa and even GTA SA), but.. it's been fun and weirdly lighthearted in some ways so far.

Yeah, it sucks. I pre-ordered it the minute it went live as well 😩 By the looks of it, lots of people (all of them..?) have had their orders cancelled too - Tiago and Jawmuncher both mentioned the same in the Xbox Asia thread. Makes me think they've just canned the Xbox CE release altogether.

adam3s

Mar 17, 2021
That does not make it a game as a service. Again, having that many updates is great but its not then focus of the game. Infinite's core is to be a service MS can make money off of consistently. SOD 2 is not that. Its a game that got longer support then anyone expected. Its not trying to continually gain new players and retain them to then make money off them. Aka what a GAAS is.

SOD 2 was also borked until the juggernaut update which did not launch until just shy of 2 years after launch. So comparing it to Infinite which is 6 months old is nonsense

I missed a word in my post. I meant to say "No, its not a true GAAS" hence me saying GAAS-like originally, sorry for the confusion. Although, any attempt to gain and retain players is to make money one way or another.

The game had issues at launch but no I wouldn't say it was 'borked' until the juggernaut update, it had plenty of bug fixes before then. Outbreak mode and Heartland were substantial updates that came within the first year or so.

Yes, Halo Infinite has only been out 6 months but they've announced this season is to last 6 months too and we know the roadmap, so unless there are some surprises coming, its not an unfair, let alone nonsense, comparison. I'll leave it there with Halo, hoping they do bounce back in Year 2.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think this is a "safer" thread for me to express my opinion 😂: I think Gotham Knights is being absolutely dogpiled and bashed in the recent video thread. Honestly, I don´t think it is THAT bad.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
famitsu
I think this is a "safer" thread for me to express my opinion 😂: I think Gotham Knights is being absolutely dogpiled and bashed in the recent video thread. Honestly, I don´t think it is THAT bad.
agreed normally polish happens in like the last leg of development so i reserve judgement till i actually play it like GOTG

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It's very underwhelming but yeah, I don't think it looks like a trash fire. If they can tighten things up it'll be a solid swimming in 7s.

I was hoping for a 9 but eh.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
This is why it is so tough for games previewed early with long demos. It takes so much extra work to polish a vertical slice. Lots of games aren't built for it. Lots of studios aren't built for it.

Jan 4, 2018
Speaking of studios under the Bethesda banner, have id software said or hinted at what they've been doing post DOOM Eternal? Is there even a single rumor or leak? We just crossed 2 years since that launched so you would think they're well underway with their next project.

I know there are some Quake rumors but personally I believe it will be DOOM 3. They're definitely not done.

"While this is the end of the story arc that began in Doom (2016), we planted a lot of stakes in the ground with that story," Martin told Polygon. "And we've been able to flesh out a lot of those things throughout the course of [Doom Eternal] and to do two DLCs. So that story arc will end, you know, from the time you woke up in the sarcophagus to the end of the DLC, but there are more stories to tell with the Doom Slayer, for sure."
"Could we tell a story about when [the Doom Slayer] first came to that place with the Sentinels, almost like a more medieval setting, a fantasy setting?" Martin asked.
"I think as you play the DLC [The Ancient Gods Part Two], too, you'll see lots of hints of what we could do moving forward. Maybe even in the future. Again, our hero is somewhat timeless — I mean, literally, he's immortal. So we could tell all kinds of stories."
www.polygon.com

Where does Doom go next?

This is the Doom Slayer’s world, we just kill in it

Hugo also revealed that the Dark Lord in The Ancient Gods wasn't the true big bad of DOOM and that there is bigger antagonist somewhere (the 'Mysterious Voice' in DOOM Eternal).

There's a bit of confusion around the Mysterious Voice in DOOM Eternal, who can be heard shouting "noooo!" after you defeat the Khan Maykr. Following an Ancient Gods – Part One patch, this was revealed to be Davoth, which was then reverted back to Mysterious Voice in the Part Two patch as it was inaccurate, according to Hugo Martin, the game's director.
Martin mentions in the stream that it isn't in fact Davoth and that it's the "idea that there is something beyond that could be overlooking all of this is what that voice is meant to tease and poke at." This voice is likely to be the creator of the Primevals and the true big bad of the DOOM universe, which we may explore in future games.
Martin also revealed in a stream that Davoth and Doomguy are both Primevals, beings assigned to look after specific realms.
culturedvultures.com

Where Does DOOM Go Next After DOOM Eternal?

The future of DOOM is up in the air following DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods, so here's what might go down in the story.

Also

The Father saved Samuel Hayden / the Seraphim from being killed by the DOOM Slayer at the end of TAG 1

And more (interesting read by the way)

"I compiled a list of things Hugo Martin has recently said about future Doom games and Eternal vs 2016, for those interested. Includes even more mech teasing"
"We will never make the same game twice" and "We haven't made our best Doom game yet"

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Indus better launch day one on consoles. Tired of waiting for late ports from Xbox for first party titles. Absolute 🤡 shenanigans if it's not.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I meant to quote one of the comments about the Gotham Knights demo, I'm predicting discourse around the demo will be a dumpster fire even if it's great 😬
Oh, I agree that Gotham Knights looks pretty bad.

I don't expect Starfield to look bad though, if it does... well, 😅

Consumer feedback is good. I cannot imagine how much worse Halo would be right now if it weren't for its delay. I hope Gotham Knights gets a delay, for the game's sake.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So whos head of ZeniMax? robert altmans son James is the director of publishing relations at bethesda softworks or somethin, pete hines is head of marketing, todd is creative director at bgs… cant find anyone on linkedin or whatever that leads the group to say report to Phil

Oct 12, 2020
I enjoyed the campaign, but I doubt I'd pay for the expansions at his point if they're not on GP.
I'd be fine if GP subscribers got a sizeable discount on expansions. But I loved the campaign so much that if the explanations were that level or even above…I'd likely pay full freight out of pocket.

Wish I could go back and discover and play that campaign again for the first time. Never had "map icon fatigue" even once with Halo Infinite.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
There is no way they charge extra for the campaign expansions.

That'd be essentially Xbox trying to find a loophole for not offering day one releases in Game Pass.

At worst make it Ultimate only but even that sounds insane.

Because, the campaign expansion will literally be a sequel to the game (it's even worse because the current campaign kind of feels like a large prologue to the next story)

All I ask for is new biome(s) and more encounter varieties.

For the next campaign, I need:
- Not just one biome but another map with more variety (sand desert in the south, snowy mountaintop in the north)
- New enemies AND returning enemies (Prometheans or Flood)
- At least one Scarab boss-fight
- More characters, a more epic feel - Infinite was intimate and it was fine, but we definitely need to steer towards the scale seen in Halo 2 or 3

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
So whos head of ZeniMax? robert altmans son James is the director of publishing relations at bethesda softworks or somethin, pete hines is head of marketing, todd is creative director at bgs… cant find anyone on linkedin or whatever that leads the group to say report to Phil
Todd Vaughn is the Matt Booty equivalent, but Bethesda has its own president (Jamie Leder) who would be reporting to Phil. Were as Todd would be reporting to Matt based on comments Pete Hines has made.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
There is no way they charge extra for the campaign expansions.

That'd be essentially Xbox trying to find a loophole for not offering day one releases in Game Pass.

At worst make it Ultimate exclusive but even that sounds insane.

Because, the campaign expansion will literally be a sequel to the game (it's even worse because the current campaign kind of feels like a large prologue to the next story)
For Halo? Possibly not.

For most other games? Yes.

Your monthly subscription is not where Game Pass will get most of its money from. Game Pass will get most of its money from people buying DLCs and expansions for single player games and skins and Battle Passes for multiplayer games. Game Pass' goal is to grow the userbase so much that they can subsidize people not paying $60 by people who buy a ton of extra add-on content.

Oct 12, 2020

Consumer feedback is good. I cannot imagine how much worse Halo would be right now if it weren't for its delay. I hope Gotham Knights gets a delay, for the game's sake.

I can't even begin to allow myself to envision a scenario in which Starfield is received as poorly as Halo Infinite's first long demo was. If that happens…I'll be taking a loooong hiatus from any online video game discussion hubs.

But Starfield has been in the oven so long I think chances are very good that it at least will show quite a few aspects that will have folks drooling in anticipation. Of course you will have a certain group of folks who will call it mediocre no matter the quality of what is shown.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Oh, I agree that Gotham Knights looks pretty bad.

Doesnt really matter if it looks bad or good tbh, there will be a tonne of concern trolling and hyperbole from console warriors regardless.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I would simply just not show off Starfield if its demo wasn't in excellent shape.

Not that we gotta worry. BGS knows this is their moment to come back swinging after FO76, and MS doesn't want a Halo Infinite repeat. I can't see either party forcing a showing if it wasn't up to snuff.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
For Halo? Possibly not.

For most other games? Yes.

Your monthly subscription is not where Game Pass will get most of its money from. Game Pass will get most of its money from people buying DLCs and expansions for single player games and skins and Battle Passes for multiplayer games. Game Pass' goal is to grow the userbase so much that they can subsidize people not paying $60 by people who buy a ton of extra add-on content.

Yes but I'm specifically talking about Halo.
A Halo campaign expansion that's a sequel to the cliffhanger from Infinite's current campaign absolutely HAS to be included in Game Pass and treated as a big day one release

Let's not forget a lot of people first subscribed to Game Pass with the idea that the next Halo campaigns would be part of it day one. That would go against everything they've been building.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I mean Destiny 2 expansions were on Game Pass at one point it could make sense for Halo Infinite ones to be included too. With the benefit of being first party creations

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Todd and the team are too veteran for me not to trust their excitement and confidence in the project. Also because of the little videos they've been releasing.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I actually would pay for the campaign expansions... hasn't it always been the case that the base game is the only thing on GamePass and expansions/DLC have to be paid for?

That's the thing that gets me.

If the next campaign expansion was actually its own game, it'd be day one on Game Pass.

But because this sequel is part of Infinite's ten-year plan and is then treated as a DLC, we should pay for it?

I never even wanted Infinite to be supported for 10 years in the first place, who asked for this?

I do think they're smart and the sequels to Infinite's campaign will all be part of Infinite but also part of Game Pass on day one. The first Game Pass subscribers are here for that after all.

However, I could see them make a Spartan Ops-like multiplayer coop story that is a paid add-on.

That's a side story, not Chief's journey.
If it's meaty with multiple interesting missions, my friends and I wouldn't mind paying 20-30 dollars for it.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
On god Infinite isnt going to be a ten year game. That was mentioned what like…. Once? By a guy who is no longer at 343?

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Dead by light horrorverse writer and R6 operator lore/writing/cinematic join Compulsion games : https://www.linkedin.com/posts/fara...=linkedin_share&utm_medium=member_desktop_web

8 Narrative designer worked on Compulsion New IP, this universe gonna be dense!

Todd and the team are too veteran for me not to trust their excitement and confidence in the project. Also because of the little videos they've been releasing.

Yup + the come back of more Skyrim structure which will simply massive in Sci-fi setting. Todd talked that they taking more on thinking about longevity for Starfield than Skyrim. Except it to be +10 year game all over again.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
On god Infinite isnt going to be a ten year game. That was mentioned what like…. Once? By a guy who is no longer at 343?

10 years, 5 years, 3 years, it doesn't change what I'm saying.

Any Chief campaign expansion that directly picks up where Infinite ends with potentially an entirely new enemy faction (hopefully) definitely seems like the next big thing in Halo.

And to me that means it must be part of Game Pass day one. Forza DLCs, Outer Worlds' DLC, Gears: Hivebusters are all an entirely different approach, and heck, even Hivebusters of all things (a small side-story that's a prequel to a multiplayer mode with none of the regular cast and story beats) was in a Game Pass tier.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
10 years, 5 years, 3 years, it doesn't change what I'm saying.

Any Chief campaign expansion that directly picks up where Infinite ends with potentially an entirely new enemy faction (hopefully) definitely seems like the next big thing in Halo.
Oh it definitely will.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Dead by light horrorverse writer and R6 operator lore/writing/cinematic join Compulsion games : https://www.linkedin.com/posts/fara...=linkedin_share&utm_medium=member_desktop_web

8 Narrative designer worked on Compulsion New IP, this universe gonna be dense!

Yup + the come back of more Skyrim structure which will simply massive in Sci-fi setting. Todd talked that they taking more on thinking about longevity for Starfield than Skyrim. Except it to be +10 year game all over again.

Just hoping consoles get all the mods day and date in the ensuing decade.

Closer selfie. Hype intensifying!

I don't know about you all...but i don't think you get this many people together in a room for a 5 minute demo.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I have a suspicion Fable scores higher, but Avowed will be more to my liking.

I'm hoping Playground brings something new to the table with their fresh look into RPGs. Obsidian's focus on branching narrative and dialog always seems to be a strength and a curse. It's what gives their games their charm, but it's also a Herculean effort that takes resources away from elsewhere.

Playground bringing fresh eyes to the RPG genre is one of the most exciting aspects of the project to me. Every RPG studio has their own unique feeling. Bethesda, Obsidian, CDPR, Bioware, Larian, etc etc all feel very distinct from each other in terms of how they go about designing and approaching those RPG mechanics. They're all RPGs, but each studio has their own style that tends to be in the DNA of every game the studio makes.

It's so exciting to get to see a new studio take a crack at it and what approach they take to it. We rarely see anything like it, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Playground RPG "'style" ends up being.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Fun to see the pictures, I feel like after this E3 we'll finally start to REALLY know what the future of Bethesda looks like at Xbox. And it drives home that it was a sensible partnership to make given the history.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I feel like that was still 2021 but i can understand this truly feeling like it with starfield and redfall exclusive gameplay plus more
I think 2021 was the pre show to this show. It was a great show but we really didn't have much gameplay or release windows past second half of 2021. I feel like we're going to see a lot more gameplay and release windows even for 2023 games this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.