Status
Not open for further replies.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Ha

I should have posted it in the LG thread :)

This will make the thread happy there along with EvilBoris and Digital Foundry folks.

Now if only we could get an option to display the dashboard in HDR/Dolby Vision too...
Yeah, we're already discussing this there too ;)
This is a long awaited feature which will finally fix movies and media consumption from the console when VRR was always active before (by removing VRR gamma flickering and/or altered black levels on LG OLEDs for example)

Regarding the HDR/DV dashboard...why?
Just to remove the SDR<->HDR/DV handshake (1 second black transition)?
It's still an SDR native source which doesn't actually need to be auto-converted in HDR (mostly static UI elements also). I'm seeing nothing wrong with it honestly.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we're already discussing this there too ;)
This is a long awaited feature which will finally fix movies and media consumption from the console when VRR was always active before (by removing VRR gamma flickering and/or altered black levels on LG OLEDs for example)

Regarding the HDR/DV dashboard...why?
Just to remove the SDR<->HDR/DV handshake (1 second black transition)?
It's still an SDR native source which doesn't actually need to be auto-converted in HDR (mostly static UI elements also). I'm seeing nothing wrong with it honestly.

That 1 sec black transition or handshake is annoying. It's not that I want the dash in HDR or anything, just want to save what's left of my eyes vision 😅

Also makes the transition between games/dash then games and so forth seamless/less janky imo.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
That 1 sec black transition or handshake is annoying. It's not that I want the dash in HDR or anything, just want to save what's left of my eyes vision 😅

Also makes the transition between games/dash then games and so forth seamless/less janky imo.
Oh, ok, I get that.
Well, MS could also add this as optional as well (by leveraging the AutoHDR feature also for the dash maybe), it would be no harm at this point ;)

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, ok, I get that.
Well, MS could also add this as optional as well (by leveraging the AutoHDR feature also for the dash maybe), it would be no harm at this point ;)

Hope so! They have been adding so much requested community stuff so praying they do.

Hope it won't take forever though like saving multiple wifi passwords...still nothing on that lol.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Great interview with Caroline Marchal, CEO of Interior/Night (the developers of As Dusk Falls): SEGA dropping the game initially, the importance of having a publisher and investment at the same time, the huge support from MS, the delay due to the pandemic, the launch and the PR side, etc

View: https://twitter.com/gibiz/status/1572976333155606529?s=21&t=qobJZMLg4MSDZhCBbF9iFg

This was a really cool interview, appreciate it getting posted! Seems like MS helped quite a bit in the development - but also, she didn't say anything about how well the game did. Not sure if that was the intention of the question or not, but her answer was around how smooth or how full of issues the launch was. But yea, seems like they're only just now working on concepting their new game lol. Unclear if that means we won't hear from them for another 3-4 years or if they maybe have Book 3 already being worked on.

Great minds. MS could've money hatted over a 100 AAA third party titles this gen with $70B
I know this is a joke, but it is true. I know this is a joke, but ABK acquisition strengthens Xbox's position against other competitors. Moneyhatting 100 AAA third party titles this gen destroys the industry lol. (But it's not as bad because it's only timed, right?? 🙄)

Also, I don't know how much moneyhatting a AAA game should cost - but I think, on average, $25m should be sufficient? So, let's just say Xbox pays an average of $100m for each game instead lol - about the entire budget of a AAA game a few years ago. Which of course means that Xbox could moneyhat 700 AAA games with $70B. So. You know. REALLY destroy the industry. lol

I'll quote this since the thread I made died very quickly. To make a long story very short: I love that Microsoft has added a crapload of Like A Dragon (Yakuza) and Spike Chunsoft games to Game Pass and then followed that with same-day releases for brand new games. That work from Microsoft is leading to me playing Danganronpa v3 now, which I'm greatly enjoying. It would have been unthinkable to say the Danganronpa franchise would be on Xbox a year ago.
This is cool! Thanks for sharing this, interesting thoughts putting all of this together :)

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
So, as users of the pass and after the countless threads that talk about it, do you really feel that the d1 exclusives that have come out and will come out, are not premium?
For me they are not only in terms of budget, but also of variety and with each passing day I am more and more convinced of it

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
This was a really cool interview, appreciate it getting posted! Seems like MS helped quite a bit in the development - but also, she didn't say anything about how well the game did. Not sure if that was the intention of the question or not, but her answer was around how smooth or how full of issues the launch was. But yea, seems like they're only just now working on concepting their new game lol. Unclear if that means we won't hear from them for another 3-4 years or if they maybe have Book 3 already being worked on.

Yes, she talks about the launch going smoothly, according to MS, but from a technical perspective. Also that they had streams with more than 13.000 users watching/playing the game, but that's it about numbers.

I thought that it was interesting how the studio still has money to start working on a second project without depending on a publisher.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I ended up deciding against a new Elite v2 controller and went for a Play & Charge Kit instead. The ability to play up to 40 hours was probably my favorite feature of the Elite v2. Unfortunately, its RT bumper has just stopped functioning alltogether. Yes, I did enjoy the increased weight, the peddles, the bumpers and the grippy feel of the Elite v2, but I am just not ready to pay such a premium price again for a product that I used for under three years (albeit extensively). Repair prices by sending the controller in to Microsoft also weren't attractive with around 80 EUR. I also really enjoy the small refinements they've made to the Series X|S controllers such as the slightly smaller size, the share button and the nice grippy feel to it. As a bonus, if my rechargable batteries now ever die, I can swap them easily and it will cost me 23 EUR at most! 30 hours of battery life is what I'm supposedly getting with one charge. Sadly you can't seem to charge the controller on the nice Elite v2 stand, but that's okay, I can always get another one.

This all would have been a different story had an Elite v3 come out with new exciting features such as Gyro, tacticle bumper refinements or heck what do I know, aroma functions, lol. But a refined Elite v2 somehow tells me the Elite v3 is still quite far off.

Last edited:

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if grounded will have split screen co op?
Sadly it does not despite being so well suited for it. Sea of Thieves is another giant missed opportunity. Microsoft wants more family oriented games but isn't willing to implement the most requested family oriented feature.

At this point we can only expect local co-op in legacy franchises like Gears, CoD, and Halo (lol). Or Nintendo games.

If you have low latency with xCloud then throwing that up onto a second screen and playing with each other online is an option. Unfortunately for me my latency is horrible.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Got the last achievement in Tinykin today, and just to reitirate for anyone who doesn't know yet, but that game is freaking amazing! Some of the best level design I've seen in a game.

About two hours into Immortality now. Haven't really got a clue what's going on, but I'm enjoying it so far. Waiting for it to all come together.

yeah def on my list to start playing

Humam

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't make sense for Xbox to have all these games in development and for them to wait til E3 or TGA for announcements and updates. They have more than enough content to reveal, and specially if they have new IP being announced then those should have a proper 1 year marketing cycle rather than being announced at E3 and released in the fall.
They must know that they should have their own digital event or showcase or something.
Hopefully they have something planned for this fall.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
i don't think a traditional marketing campaign works for a game like Grounded tho. it's why we don't stuff like that for most survival games (subnautica, ark, valheim, etc). launch day is what is really important, and i'm expecting a ton of sponsored streams and things like that. we'll see. i'm expecting it to do big numbers :P

That makes sense also.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
So, as users of the pass and after the countless threads that talk about it, do you really feel that the d1 exclusives that have come out and will come out, are not premium?
For me they are not only in terms of budget, but also of variety and with each passing day I am more and more convinced of it
It's a dumb narrative that drives the discourse in a specific, unhealthy, way. Was Stray not premium? Meh. When you have multiple GOTY games coming out D1 on the service, I think that puts that notion well and truly to bed. (As well as commercial successes, like Slime Rancher 2 - though that's maybe a surprise lol.)

HAVE THEY FINALLY DONE IT?!?! Touch controls enabled for all games, in case I just want to pop in for a couple minutes without digging out a controller?!?!

Thanks SpartyCrunch

Yes, she talks about the launch going smoothly, according to MS, but from a technical perspective. Also that they had streams with more than 13.000 users watching/playing the game, but that's it about numbers.

I thought that it was interesting how the studio still has money to start working on a second project without depending on a publisher.
Yea, I'm quite interested in who this investor is and how (or like with what structure) they're funding development there. Seems like a pretty hefty investment if they could afford so much downtime without a solid plan ready to fire off immediately. Alternatively, maybe MS is still paying them for ongoing support for the game that she just hasn't announced yet. Who knows.

I would still be interested in MS picking up Interior Night (or Deck 9. Dontnod probably too big now.) But I wonder if this investor wouldn't be looking to sell their stake, even if the founders do. Who knows!

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I'll quote this since the thread I made died very quickly. To make a long story very short: I love that Microsoft has added a crapload of Like A Dragon (Yakuza) and Spike Chunsoft games to Game Pass and then followed that with same-day releases for brand new games. That work from Microsoft is leading to me playing Danganronpa v3 now, which I'm greatly enjoying. It would have been unthinkable to say the Danganronpa franchise would be on Xbox a year ago.

same, i would not be playing or have become a fan of NNK

Jan 4, 2018

I think that's the 4th longest run after Counter Strike GO (528), Warframe (429) and GTAV (401).

The amount of revenue generated lifetime on all platforms must be something else with ESO+. At the moment it's still the 12th best-seller by revenue on Steam (8th in the US).

And the thing is TESO doesn't even have a free trial or never moved to the F2P model (still priced 20$ in 2022). It's also has a very limited localization (subtitles: English, French, Spanish, German, Russian).

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
That Satya quote makes me think 'you want to play? Let's play' 😂

Yeah he's not fucking around. Looks like some of Ryan's comments might have struck a nerve. Business is business for sure, but calling someone out by name is a bit different.

It is slightly concerning though, as much as I support Xbox gaming, them going nuclear and buying another big publisher or two (Take 2, Ubisoft etc.) would definitely be a bit much.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Yeah he's not fucking around. Looks like some of Ryan's comments might have struck a nerve. Business is business for sure, but calling someone out by name is a bit different.

It is slightly concerning though, as much as I support Xbox gaming, them going nuclear and buying another big publisher or two (Take 2, Ubisoft etc.) would definitely be a bit much.

I dont think they can buy a Western-first publisher atleast for the next few years. Studios, maybe. At a stretch, someone like Focus Interactive. I think Sega is probably still in play but my guess is they will focus more on licensing since if ABK goes through, it actually increases the appeal of Gamepass to other studios ("be on the service that has COD and reap some ancillary benefit"

Oct 25, 2017
i thought that the monster hunter game from CA was much farther off

The Monster Hunter game seems wild, because that seems like a pretty full scale project from what we know of it, but if Project Belfry is next year's Pentiment (announced at E3, smaller scale, beautiful game with some fun new ideas), I wouldn't be mad at all at that becoming a new trend.

Belfry is much bigger than Pentiment. Pentiment is like a 13 person team affair, while Stoic is around 70 employees (maybe more?) right now

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
It feels to me that they covered it white to blend with everything else. Just picture it black for one second and you'll know what I mean.

Yeah, that's what I've been saying.
It just feels like a set design choice, even though they probably aren't allowed to do it in the first place.

20220923_132336.png

It's distracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.