Adum

May 30, 2019
I've heard it's different depending on the region but I always get more ads on my Xbox. Like I've gotten car ads and fast food promos in the past :/
It definitely is based on region, because I don't recall ever getting an ad on my PS5. Most likely because I live in an advertiser-irrelevant country.

solisolisoli

Jul 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
I'm not a fanboy but this is a good way to make me one. At least is not as bad as PS Plus being double the price now. I've got no console subscriptions at the moment and it's nice.

TimotheusNL

Jun 9, 2023
That's true. I haven't posted there because I'm mostly thinking of myself most of the time; as we humans mostly do as weak minded pack animals. However, I can sometimes take a step back and be objective in my thoughts. The observation still stands, care to comment on it besides my post history now that I've adressed it?

Honestly? No-one really cares about stickied threads. This has always been the case even back on GAF.

Your point really isn't as salient as you think it is.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
well the PS Plus thread is people largely saying "Yeah this sucks"
The Nintendo page is people saying "yeah this sucks"
This thread is a defense force arguing whether forced ads are actually ok.

The PS plus thread is about a price hike for a feature that's practically required in this day and age without good reason.
The Nintendo thread is anti-union speak.
And this thread is about an ad that shows up once on the boot of your console.

Not going to sugarcoat it, this thread doesn't really compare to either.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Sony increases price of PS Plus and explains poorly why there are no day one games (8 pages)

… because neither of those things were news. The PS+ price increase was first reported in a thread that neared sixty pages and Sony's reasoning about day one games has been clearly and consistently stated for years. It's not going to become controversial until Microsoft prove Sony's argument wrong.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
The PS plus thread is about a price hike for a feature that's practically required in this day and age without good reason.
The Nintendo thread is anti-union speak.
And this thread is about an ad that shows up once on the boot of your console.

Not going to sugarcoat it, this thread doesn't really compare to either.
Sure. But the persecution complex is why the thread is so large, something that neither of those other threads have.

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
I got prompts to play Starfield when logging into my Windows PC for a while. Obnoxious, invasive ad-pushing is really their thing now.

Last edited:

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I'm a little surprised people care this much. I thought it was a one second ad on boot.

Were bieng constantly advertised too so much this doesn't phase me at all. (Many love conferences/directs to advertised too more)

Is this just a "I hate call of duty" thing ?

I can't imagine the reaction would be as intense if it was a game people on era liked more.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little surprised people care this much. I thought it was a one second ad on boot.

Were bieng constantly advertised too so much this doesn't phase me at all. (Many love conferences/directs to advertised too more)

Is this just a "I hate call of duty" thing ?

I can't imagine the reaction would be as intense if it was a game people on era liked more.

They've already done it multiple times this year, not just with Call of Duty. There is clearly an "on launch" ad slot Microsoft has built into the console UI that they can trigger for any game they want.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
When I feel out of touch with reality I just come in and read something like this in Resetera, and life is good again 😂

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
They've already done it multiple times this year, not just with Call of Duty. There is clearly an "on launch" ad slot Microsoft has built into the console UI that they can trigger for any game they want.
The strangest part is that it is not universal across the board who are getting these ads. I have yet to experience any of the one mentioned (CoD, Starfield, Forza). And I am not alone in that.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Support Valve. Install Steam Client in your Linux PC. Escape Microsoft's ads.
ah yes

steam

no ads

*opens steam*

steam-news-popup.png

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first thing i see when i open steam is an ad for a sale or whichever game just launched that I have to close

You can launch into your library only and turn off the store pop up notifications. Not comparable.

I get this isn't a huge deal right now to avoid but you won't be laughing when they go further because they will. Full page ad, that's $$$$ and Microsoft are told to make $$$$.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised at all the casual dismissiveness here. A full-screen ad on boot that must be manually dismissed and defaults you to the buy button is clearly intrusive, in a way that Sony and Nintendo haven't really replicated. There will be people who see the prompt and will waltz into a purchase, these tricks are employed because they do work even if in a small degree. Or did we forget about the years of kids racking up credit cards?

To be clear it's not a huge thing, it can be dismissed really quickly, but it's an escalation that deserves to be called out. Not to get all slippery-slope but it's very easy to imagine this getting more annoying - loading up every time you boot, multiple ads you have to click out of, a timer before you click out of it, etc. - and it deserves to be called out before it gets there.

(Also yeah the Forza and Starfield ones were also intrusive. They are very slightly mitigated by those games being on Game Pass and the default assumption that if you're using an Xbox you're gonna have a Game Pass subscription, though that's its own can of worms).

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
You can launch into your library only and turn off the store pop up notifications. Not comparable.

I get this isn't a huge deal right now to avoid but you won't be laughing when they go further because they will. Full page ad, that's $$$$ and Microsoft are told to make $$$$.
Console has conditioned their consumers that they have no control. Fees for online play, block peripherals, block USB saves, pay to save (PSN), zero alternative to buy game codes (PSN), use of proprietary storage (XBox).

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Going to hard pass on buying any CoD games now that they're headed to Gamepass.
That's just being practical and the right way to do it. Only reason I'm in for MW3 is because I got the hookup on a code. I wouldn't recommend in good conscience that people pay $70 for what is a glorified expansion, especially when it could land on Game Pass shortly after the new year. At most, I'd recommend $35 via Game Share with a friend.