entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
On Friday night, in the middle of a dinner rush, restaurant owner Diana Vu McDonough says a woman with two children walked into her Long Beach restaurant and asked for popcorn chicken.

McDonough, who runs Lacquered restaurant with her husband, Scott, told the woman that the popcorn chicken was no longer on the menu but that she could make her chicken tenders instead. The woman insisted that the last time she visited, she'd had the popcorn chicken. This was the dish she wanted.

"I told her that must have been three years ago, because we subbed them out for tenders three years ago," McDonough said. "She walked out and got really angry with me."

www.yahoo.com

Yelper brings #Asianhate to Long Beach restaurant owner

A Vietnamese restaurant owner in Long Beach was threatened in a Yelp review amidst a rise in Asian hate crimes and harassment.

d59b97cb157380b9216ac97985b8f402

Last edited:

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
It is wild to me that Yelp did remove the review... But the same damn account is allowed to leave another 1 star review? Like the racist reviewer is gonna have a super valid review the second time around?

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It is wild to me that Yelp did remove the review... But the same damn account is allowed to leave another 1 star review? Like the racist reviewer is gonna have a super valid review the second time around?
They reason many of these platforms are not into permanent bans is because their business model is based on a lot of eyeballs--it's an ad centric model. The end user is the product being sold to advertisers, who are the true customers to these companies.

So they remove stuff instead of outright banning for good.

Deleted member 92267

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2021
It`s interesting we`ve entered an era that people are actually happy with stores bluntly talking back to crazy customers (This is a good thing!)

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how that review can be taken as anything other than a threat of hate based violence.

How does this person still have an account, let alone be allowed to leave another review for the same establishment

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate where the reviewer being so specific on the employees gender and ethnicity. "This Asian lady, black man, etc, it's irrelevant in the review.

"Brite". Lol.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I hate where the reviewer being so specific on the employees gender and ethnicity. "This Asian lady, black man, etc, it's irrelevant in the review.
Yelp just sucks overall. It's notorious for having well off yuppies being ridiculously unreasonable on small, family owned establishments and docking them review wise for the most trifling things.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
As always, a lot of people enabling or doing this violence will use any fucking excuse and blow it up to an atrocity to justify a disgusting & potentially fatal response. The idea that this customer thinks the employee has to submit to giving her food that doesn't exist lest she call down the wrath of bloodthirsty white bigots is straight up inhuman & it's hard to even fathom a mind that would use these hate crimes as a threat to force the minorities targeted to dance for you. This woman could have given the meal of a lifetime but at the end of the day that fucking bigot would still lie on her on a whim because she can and seems to find entertainment in the psychic torture or outright death of Asian Americans.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
'Not to brite with all the Asian people getting attacked'.

Aside from the illiteracy, the veiled threat and gloating over a simple explanation and offer of an alternative is all kinds of vicious racism. 'Very foolish of you to not offer a dish you haven't supplied for years with all those violent white supremacists around'.

She leaps to that over not getting a simple food item without looking at the menu. Didn't take much for the mask to slip, it clearly wasn't even on to start with.

Jan 7, 2021
How I wish these trashbags were not anonymous and got lit up socially. Yelp could be a lot more useful if it's platform couldn't be used so easily to spread hate and misinformation.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
How sad is your life if you spend your time walking into random restaurants purely to start shit?

That person definitely issued a threat too, and probably got angry that the store owner talked back to them. I'd prepare to see them come back to vandalize or something.

Oct 30, 2017
"With all this Asian hate, the Asians sure ought to go out of their way to act extra polite toward people like me"

lmao

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
They reason many of these platforms are not into permanent bans is because their business model is based on a lot of eyeballs--it's an ad centric model. The end user is the product being sold to advertisers, who are the true customers to these companies.

So they remove stuff instead of outright banning for good.

But hey, section 230 has totally revolutionized the internet!

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you want to get murdered, give me popcorn chicken is something a non-racist sane person says all the time.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like is that a threat or something?
It's definitely a threat. These people think Asians are beneath them, so their message goes something like "know your place, or you're going to get put in your place."

Basically both endorsing the anti-asian hate crimes and threatening more of it. Yelp should have banned her ass.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
"With all this Asian hate, the Asians sure ought to go out of their way to act extra polite toward people like me"

lmao
Hell, not even just polite but absolutely subservient. Like an Asian person is forced to say the sky is purple if some random bigot demands it and if they don't, they're justified to be targets of outright abuse or slaughter.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely a threat. These people think Asians are beneath them, so their message goes something like "know your place, or you're going to get put in your place."

Basically both endorsing the anti-asian hate crimes and threatening more of it. Yelp should have banned his ass.
She.

Looks like she was using an alias or proxy to complain on Yelp to avoid being IDed as a bigot.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
These crazy ass, privileged white people literally cannot handle the word "No". Someone tells them no and they immediately resort to the most childish and hateful shit. Hateful vile woman.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Restaurants change their menu all the time... how can someone be this stuck up to throw a tantrum because of it.
Does she do this at other places too or was this only due to racism?

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Hello restaurant owner, please make me whatever the hell I demand even if it isn't on the menu, I will start a viral firestorm that will backfire conspicuously if you don't. Also Asians, am I rite?

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020

ERA, we do this all the time. I agree, Yelp has very questionable business practices. But that's not what's being presented here.

This isn't a 'Yelp is so garbage' problem, this is a 'people are so garbage' - distracting the conversation to specific sites (twitter, FB, reddit) where they all have the same root problem - people using it, removes from the conversation.

Fix mental health, fix education. Solve the root problem - people are hateful and suffering. Don't waste your effort going after platforms.

If you all can name one platform (Era included) that can keep up with moderation on a global scale without stepping into censorship - I'm all ears, until then, please stop focusing on sites.

Trust

Jun 10, 2018
Yelp is already garbage and their system is a plague for restaurant owners.

That person that left the review isn't too brite

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
ERA, we do this all the time. I agree, Yelp has very questionable business practices. But that's not what's being presented here.

This isn't a 'Yelp is so garbage' problem, this is a 'people are so garbage' - distracting the conversation to specific sites (twitter, FB, reddit) where they all have the same root problem - people using it, removes from the conversation.

Fix mental health, fix education. Solve the root problem - people are hateful and suffering. Don't waste your effort going after platforms.

If you all can name one platform (Era included) that can keep up with moderation on a global scale without stepping into censorship - I'm all ears, until then, please stop focusing on sites.
There's more garbageness to Yelp than moderation, tho. Their issues with small independent restaurants is well documented.

Unfortunately, they're so dominant restaurant owners can't ignore it.

Oct 25, 2017
The google maps reviews for Asian restaurants in my area always piss me off so much. People leave bad reviews because they don't get the down-home fake folksy hospitality that they get at cracker barrel or whatever. Everyone who leaves a review about a restaurant that includes a complaint that they weren't greeted as soon as they entered should be shadow banned from review sites.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Yelp reviews always feel like they're more about perceived service quality rather than the food itself. Social media hype also plays a massive role. People stereotype Asians and Asian restaurants as having bad service, so there is huge score deflation among asian restaurants. I've stopped paying attention to yelp reviews when it comes to anything outside of basic ass american style restaurants

Oct 30, 2017
There's more garbageness to Yelp than moderation, tho. Their issues with small independent restaurants is well documented.

Unfortunately, they're so dominant restaurant owners can't ignore it.
Yeah. And I mean.. the yelper is being openly racist on their platform. While swift and competent moderation certainly isn't easy, anything less than a ban in this situation seems unjust and worthy of discussion.

The vast majority of this thread has not been about Yelp. It's been about the racist customer. So I don't think you were muddying this person's behavior by putting the blame on Yelp.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reviews for businesses can get pretty lousy and can be 90% talking about how they were "treated" + 10% about the actual product provided. I think describing the service you had is fine, but a lot of them are like "well, the food was delicious and served on time... but then the waitress forgot to refill my cup once, so 1-star" which is frankly not a good review to me. People also tend to be really weird about Asian businesses being "unfriendly" - when I see them as simply more hands-off with table buttons to call the server if you need anything, etc.

This person just goes full mask-off though, Jesus

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Restaurants change their menu all the time... how can someone be this stuck up to throw a tantrum because of it.
Does she do this at other places too or was this only due to racism?

And over something as mundane as popcorn chicken.

If it's that big a deal cut the tenders up into little pieces.

Christ almighty.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. And I mean.. the yelper is being openly racist on their platform. While swift and competent moderation certainly isn't easy, anything less than a ban in this situation seems unjust and worthy of discussion.

The vast majority of this thread has not been about Yelp. It's been about the racist customer. So I don't think you were muddying this person's behavior by putting the blame on Yelp.
You're right. It was mostly an aside, but I can see how it can be taken as direct blame. I'll update to avoid confusion.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The google maps reviews for Asian restaurants in my area always piss me off so much. People leave bad reviews because they don't get the down-home fake folksy hospitality that they get at cracker barrel or whatever. Everyone who leaves a review about a restaurant that includes a complaint that they weren't greeted as soon as they entered should be shadow banned from review sites.

Wow this really happens? How bizarre to downrank a restaurant based on that...

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Self entitled idiot is what this person is.
I wish more and more places could start telling customers to fuck off without all the review nonsense.

I left retail as hard as I could to avoid people like this and I still ended up working for people that do the same.
Except now I can't even tell them to shove one, so it bottles up inside.

Sadly, this is probably 1 of tens of thousands of instances daily.
People are just shit heads when you're at work, mostly.

I'd love a job where I don't have to "serve" people, I don't even know what.

America seems like the WORST place to work in these industries relating to interacting with people.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Wow this really happens? How bizarre to downrank a restaurant based on that...
Eh, it's becoming more common, even in retail there are now door greeters and some food chain places like Chipotle, 5 Guys and whatnot are acknowledging every person entering the store. I don't know why it's become a thing, but I can see how some people like it and come to expect it.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like how she puts that their food is overpriced and ain't even all that great, but why did you go there though??? LOL.

They haven't had chicken popcorn on the menu for 3 years. Not that brite indeed.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Review reads like a third party wrote it. The story doesn't make much sense if that review is written by the 'asian lady'. Seems the restaurant owner is confused too.