• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
I've had this happen to me. A woman came in, tried ordering something that we didn't have, and had never had. Tells me I must be new, even though I had been there for almost 5 years at that point. Left a review on Yelp and I had to explain to my boss what happened, because she had said all these things about me being rude and a liar. I didn't get in any trouble, because my boss believed me, but I've seen people lose their jobs because of Yelp reviews.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
"This Asian lady was so rude and disrespectful. The lady got crazy for asking for popcorn chicken."

This reads to me as: "I didn't immediately get exactly what I wanted, so it's obviously the employee's fault and I'm justified in flipping my shit." Some people are just so self-centered and entitled that the moment they're told "no," no matter how politely, it suddenly turns into a vendetta. (This time, with extra helpings of racism tied into it.)

r/talesfromretail and r/TalesFromYourServer are littered with this stuff. It's not hard to treat retail and food service employees as human beings just trying to do their jobs. They're not trying to pull one over on you.

EDIT - And of course, reading the article there's also this:
On Friday night, in the middle of a dinner rush, restaurant owner Diana Vu McDonough says a woman with two children walked into her Long Beach restaurant and asked for popcorn chicken.

McDonough, who runs Lacquered restaurant with her husband, Scott, told the woman that the popcorn chicken was no longer on the menu but that she could make her chicken tenders instead. The woman insisted that the last time she visited, she'd had the popcorn chicken. This was the dish she wanted.

"I told her that must have been three years ago, because we subbed them out for tenders three years ago," McDonough said. "She walked out and got really angry with me."
The restaurant owner offered her a perfectly acceptable alternative to an item no longer on the menu. Instead the customer decided to pitch a fit and get all racist on yelp because she wanted popcorn chicken instead of chicken tenders. Imagine this being the biggest problem in your life, even in your week.

Last edited:

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's becoming more common, even in retail there are now door greeters and some food chain places like Chipotle, 5 Guys and whatnot are acknowledging every person entering the store. I don't know why it's become a thing, but I can see how some people like it and come to expect it.
That sounds like my own personal hell. Being greeted everywhere I go.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I mean if they get hurt it's because they won't make popcorn chicken. Haven't they seen the news? Why risk getting beaten up?"

What a jackass.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
This is more common than you think, and has certainly became more commonplace starting about the time orange took office.

I remember there was a review I reported about 2 years ago on Yelp, "The Asian lady was really rude and could barely speak English, If you're going to be in this country you should learn how to speak the language or don't be here", along with some other Xenophobic stuff, and the response I got from the review staff was, "After reviewing the case, the user did not break any of the guidelines."

It was only about one year ago out of the blue that I got a message from the staff to let me know that after re-reviewing the case, they have determined it did indeed break the policy. Gee, thanks Yelp for letting me know racist and Xenophobic comments aren't actually acceptable after all.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
It was only about one year ago out of the blue that I got a message from the staff to let me know that after re-reviewing the case, they have determined it did indeed break the policy. Gee, thanks Yelp for letting me know racist and Xenophobic comments aren't actually acceptable after all.
I have to assume notices like that happen because more people see and report racist/xenophobic comments the longer they stay up.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
Looks like the restaurant is getting some support. I went to read the yelp reviews and some of the newest reviews are saying how great the chicken tenders are.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
They reason many of these platforms are not into permanent bans is because their business model is based on a lot of eyeballs--it's an ad centric model. The end user is the product being sold to advertisers, who are the true customers to these companies.

So they remove stuff instead of outright banning for good.
bad reviews is also good for business for yelp since the restaurants will be pressured to pay yelp to show more favorable reviews.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
It's definitely a threat. These people think Asians are beneath them, so their message goes something like "know your place, or you're going to get put in your place."

Basically both endorsing the anti-asian hate crimes and threatening more of it. Yelp should have banned her ass.

Yeah that's how it reads to me.

This is more common than you think, and has certainly became more commonplace starting about the time orange took office.

I remember there was a review I reported about 2 years ago on Yelp, "The Asian lady was really rude and could barely speak English, If you're going to be in this country you should learn how to speak the language or don't be here", along with some other Xenophobic stuff, and the response I got from the review staff was, "After reviewing the case, the user did not break any of the guidelines."

Racism against Asians gets brushed off a lot during reviews/reports. Notice it on facebook, yelp, etc.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
man, yelp is such a garbage platform. I've literally seen businesses owned by poc attacked for the most dumb shit on that website, and this is no exception.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It is wild to me that Yelp did remove the review... But the same damn account is allowed to leave another 1 star review? Like the racist reviewer is gonna have a super valid review the second time around?

I mean it's Yelp. I know some people are sympathetic to them since they're lunch is getting eaten by Google, but Yelp was always shitty to businesses.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Person leaving the review does appear to be as racist as possible. 🤦‍♂️

Reading the other reviews there do seem to be some other problems there, food/attitude wise (which has nothing to do with race).

Multiple people talking about her cussing out employees, fighting with family/husband in front of customers and families. Some of them seem like typical overreactions, others seem honest and would worry me too in a restaurant setting.

From more than a year ago: "Good food overall, but awkward ambiance. Imagine yourself over at someone house for dinner and the couple gets into a fight. That's how we felt eating chicken when the owner started publicly yelling and humiliating her husband."

Earlier this year: "The food is good but overall, I'm quite disappointed. The first time I went, the owner was condescending and belittling to her workers right in front of the customers. This is unacceptable behavior to have towards anyone in general, but it's also extremely unprofessional. It got to the point that I felt uncomfortable and chose to move to the outdoor seating. "

"The food is okay, mediocre. the lady who owns the restaurant is really condescending towards her customers. She seems not happy with her employees in the kitchen either, so the atmosphere in there just seems odd to me. "

Also, the 3 years with no Popcorn/Chicken Bites isn't true based on the reviews from late 2019 and early 2020. There are people posting about how they were overcooked/hard around a year ago, and she responded about them. Reading the reviews is a wild trip.

Obviously none of this excuses any form of racism/hate.

Anyway, getting off topic reading through all the reviews, lol. Too many Asian people have to deal with racist trash. I worry about the small Chinese restaurant near me here in the South. I LOVE their food, and their 13 year old goes to school with my daughter. I really hope she's not being exposed to these idiots, but I know it's probably happening ☹

Last edited:

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Person leaving the review does appear to be as racist as possible. 🤦‍♂️

Reading the other reviews there do seem to be some other problems there, food/attitude wise (which has nothing to do with race).

Multiple people talking about her cussing out employees, fighting with family/husband in front of customers and families. Some of them seem like typical overreactions, others seem honest and would worry me too in a restaurant setting.

From more than a year ago: "Good food overall, but awkward ambiance. Imagine yourself over at someone house for dinner and the couple gets into a fight. That's how we felt eating chicken when the owner started publicly yelling and humiliating her husband."

Earlier this year: "The food is good but overall, I'm quite disappointed. The first time I went, the owner was condescending and belittling to her workers right in front of the customers. This is unacceptable behavior to have towards anyone in general, but it's also extremely unprofessional. It got to the point that I felt uncomfortable and chose to move to the outdoor seating. "

"The food is okay, mediocre. the lady who owns the restaurant is really condescending towards her customers. She seems not happy with her employees in the kitchen either, so the atmosphere in there just seems odd to me. "

Also, the 3 years with no Popcorn/Chicken Bites isn't true based on the reviews from late 2019 and early 2020. There are people posting about how they were overcooked/hard around a year ago, and she responded about them. Reading the reviews is a wild trip.

Obviously none of this excuses any form of racism/hate.

Anyway, getting off topic reading through all the reviews, lol. Too many Asian people have to deal with racist trash. I worry about the small Chinese restaurant near me here in the South. I LOVE their food, and their 13 year old goes to school with my daughter. I really hope she's not being exposed to these idiots, but I know it's probably happening ☹

none of those folks put out the no-chin signal to have her / restaurant fucked up because she was asian tho. The OG complaint didn't need to mention her ethnicity at all. Or the threats. She isn't an asshole more/less due to her being asian.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
none of those folks put out the no-chin signal to have her / restaurant fucked up because she was asian tho. The OG complaint didn't need to mention her ethnicity at all. Or the threats. She isn't an asshole more/less due to her being asian.

Just like I said in my post.

"Reading the other reviews there do seem to be some other problems there, food/attitude wise (which has nothing to do with race)."

" Obviously none of this excuses any form of racism/hate. "