DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
Apple TV+ has opted not to continue with a second season of Constellation, its sci-fi psychological thriller series starring Noomi Rapace and Jonathan Banks. The news comes a month and a half after Constellation's eight-episode first season wrapped its quiet run on the streamer March 27.
Created and written by Peter Harness, Constellation stars Rapace as Jo – an astronaut who returns to Earth after a disaster in space – only to discover that key pieces of her life seem to be missing. The action-packed space adventure is an exploration of the dark edges of human psychology, and one woman's desperate quest to expose the truth about the hidden history of space travel and recover all that she has lost.
deadline.com

‘Constellation’ Canceled By Apple After One Season

Apple TV+ has opted not to continue with a second season of Constellation, its sci-fi psychological thriller series starring Noomi Rapace.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
The premise sounds super interesting. I'm mostly surprised Apple TV has another sci-fi show, even if it does sound very different from the others. I feel like they just fired a shotgun blast and decided to trim out the ones that didn't hit.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I mostly enjoyed it but the stinger at the end kind of soured me on the whole thing

Now with Dark Matter, I guess two Schrodinger's Cat shows are too many

Aug 17, 2022
I haven't seen it, but like almost every Apple show, I predict it was a cool concept, ruined by a super slow pace and annoying as fuck flashbacks to overexplain everything, while simultaneously not explaining much at all

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Constellation has to be the first Apple show with any hype to get cancelled. Wonder if the numbers were that bad or they just have too much sci-fi in the pipeline?

Apr 20, 2022
It was honestly shit. Cool idea but ot took sooo long for things to get put into motion and the last couple eps were mostly about closure between the mum and daughter but almost nothing to with the the big mystery of what exactly happend for the 2 astronaut to swap places or the events of years ago

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
tumblr_n1vni3szcL1rrx588o1_250.gif

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, that's cool. I liked it, but I didn't realize it was even going for being a multi-season show until that goofy ass stinger at the end. It was kind of boring after awhile also because you're just spending the whole season waiting for the characters to understand what the basic premise of the show is, but the viewer gets that info in like the second episode tops.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, that really sucks. I enjoyed it quite a lot myself and I was in to see where they went with it. It was also beautifully shot.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Struggled to finish episode 1 due to the pace and annoying editing, and I didn't go back. Now I don't need to, I guess.

The pace and editing of Dark Matter (as people seem to be comparing the two shows) is muuuuch better.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I really enjoyed s1. The vibes were immaculate and the cinematography was gorgeous. I absolutely loved how often it leaned into just unsettling and creepy tones.

Ultimately it fumbled some of the execution on the plot, I don't think the daughter was terrible but too much of the plot relied on her acting and she was the weakest in the show since it's hard to match up to people like Jonathan Banks and Noomi Rapace. It was a lot to put on her, and it didn't really work imo. I think it was also weaker for leaning into the Henry and Bud split rather than leaving it more background dressing around the focus on Noomi's character.

I'm still glad to have watched the season they put out just because I loved the vibes of the show so much. Creepy, borderline weird horror-esque science fiction show is very much my type of shit. It left off in a concluded enough place that I don't feel like the lack of season 2 retroactively hurts the show, as it can stand on its own.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I both really liked and was bored by this show. A bit too much time at the cabin.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
It was honestly shit. Cool idea but ot took sooo long for things to get put into motion and the last couple eps were mostly about closure between the mum and daughter but almost nothing to with the the big mystery of what exactly happend for the 2 astronaut to swap places or the events of years ago
Exactly this. Would be a good PKD short story but not a full series of hour long episodes. Space stuff and mystery were good. Cabin stuff didn't land for me.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Constellation, more like Cancelation.

But that's too bad, I was going to check it out. Now I'm kind of glad I hadn't gotten to it yet.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I are in the middle of this and it's just dull. No likable characters at all.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Wife and I watched the whole thing and while we enjoyed some episodes and some of the suspense, we found it mostly drab. Didn't care for most of the characters, felt like it dragged on too long. Not surprised.

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
Apple typically has some pretty great shows but hey sometimes not all of them work.

Hopefully that gets Silo s2 and Severance s2 out the door quicker...cuz I need more of that.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I haven't seen it, but like almost every Apple show, I predict it was a cool concept, ruined by a super slow pace and annoying as fuck flashbacks to overexplain everything, while simultaneously not explaining much at all

No flashbacks and the entire concept is fully explained though it does have some aspects that make very little sense because science doesn't support what happens.

It is pretty boring though.

Does the season resolve the story or does it end on a cliffhanger

It ends on a gigantic cliffhanger and resolves the current stories in a completely unsatisfying way. Don't watch.

Shogun was that as well (that does make me more likely to watch it tho).

Having read the book, while I'm sure you could do a season 2, it would be completely different and thus unlikely to happen.

Aug 17, 2022
You honestly nailed it. This show was a snooze fest.

Yep, it's a shame that it's so easy to predict modern shows now. So fucking glacially paced, stupid flashbacks or backstory to cover crap no one cares about or how X character ended up in Y situation. Silo was the same, despite a cool premise.

I only found out about Surf Dracula Syndrome recently, and this pretty much covers it.

A phenomenon in film/television series, most notably streaming series, where the main premise is drawn out to such a point that it takes an entire season or more to get the parts of the series the audience is actually interested in seeing.

For example, if a series is titled "Surf Dracula", a majority of viewers would tune in expecting to see Dracula surfing by the first or second episode. However, the entire first season would instead be tedious padding and backstory before finally ending with Dracula surfing in the last five minutes of the season finale.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with this. I came away from the first season feeling that it was a total waste of time despite some great production values and an interesting concept. The show would have been much better as a movie or a miniseries.

Apr 20, 2022
Does the season resolve the story or does it end on a cliffhanger
Nothing is resolved. By the end Jo and her daughter(s) come to terms with their situation but everything else is left up in the air. Jo doesn't know if there's a way back, it's never explained or hinted at why the shifts happen, how people can swap universes either in body or mind (Bud can swap minds but fuck if that's ever explained) etc. Basically all the sci fi stuff is ignored.

There's a cliff hanger and it's interesting set up for S2 but seeing as how previous swapping people have no real impact on the greater story it's probably best left cancelled.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Started good but slowed to a crawl and the ending sucked--made absolutely no sense. Not surprised it got cancelled.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible show, its one of the only shows in the past 5 years I regret watching and I've watched a lot. I was in because of sci fi, Noomi Rapace, and Jonathan Banks but it was a 2 hour story stretched to 7 hours. 100% I bet a pitch that got rejected over and over as a movie that finally got turned into a TV show but without enough gas to really do anything with the extra time.

Go watch instead Counterpart and/or Fringe, infinitely better workings of similar concepts. Dark Matter (2024) just started as well, I think on Apple TV+, and is a much better concept / execution.