OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
oiN5u9J.png

Who is this person?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
By winter 2015, Barghouty says her complaints about Larsen had reached Nancy Ashbrooke, Vice's global director of human resources, who had claimed months earlier in a statement to the Columbia Journalism Review that sexual harassment wasn't an issue for the company.

"We haven't had any cases of sexual harassment to deal with," Ashbrooke wrote. (Ashbrooke was vice president of human resources at Harvey Weinstein's Miramax Films from 1991 to 2000, according to her LinkedIn page, a time when the now-disgraced producer was paying out hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal settlements to squash allegations of sexual harassment and unwanted sexual contact by employees and actresses.)

Jesus christ this is the most savage burn I've ever seen

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we interested in Patrick Klepek and Austin Walker's takes?

I'd rather hear Danielle Riendeau and Danika Harrod's thoughts on this.

Disgusting. No industry is safe
Why would you think any industry is 'safe'? The whole issue is that the kinds of metrics by which we judge people to be "good" or at least "not a sexual predator" are irrelevant at best.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i know gavin is a love or hate personality,
That's a really mild way to put it, considering the man is factually sexist, transphobic and antisemitic.
He's the proto "anti PC" contrarian who's virtually indistinguishable from an alt-right asshole.

So yeah, I'm sure there was no harassment under such a wonderful person.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we interested in Patrick Klepek and Austin Walker's takes?

I'd rather hear Danielle Riendeau and Danika Harrod's thoughts on this.

Yeah. After covering Louis CK, IGN and the old forum,it will be interesting to see how they react. It will be very disappointing if they fall in line with the corporate message, but also kind of understandable since it's their livelihood. But it would sure take away the bite from their rhetoric.

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah. After covering Louis CK, IGN and the old forum,it will be interesting to see how they react. It will be very disappointing if they fall in line with the corporate message, but also kind of understandable since it's their livelihood. But it would sure take away the bite from their rhetoric.
Abiding sex pests and harassers in your own backyard because you get paid by them kind of sabotages their whole identity as a media outlet.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I don't think this will stop me from watching those highly entertaining docu-films they do. Show me a workplace without sexual harassment and I will show you a liar.

It's tricky. I think if we stopped watching dubious content because someone was inappropriate or worse then there's literally be fuck all left to consume. There's stories the entire crew on Star Wars took advantage of Carrie Fisher on Star Wars...

Sexual harassment is a society wide problem, it's a human wide issue that will literally affect virtually every company in the world... It's not an easy problem to come up with ways to deal with what do we do as consumers about all this.

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
If Waypoint lets this slide then I feel like they're hypocrites. But also, VICE's not-so-distant past of hipster edgelord sexism can't have been unknown to the Waypoint crew.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Time for ReGals to start our own news network and put Rupert Murdoch out of business.

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
Vice frequently seemed a bit too Bill Maherish for my tastes. They also have lots of great content, but there is something off.

Well, he is a producer on the HBO series they do, so that's not too surprising.

This is yet another example that shows that in most cases, HR is not there to protect the employees.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
It was mentioned in the Waypoint forums thread, but there may be an internal investigation ongoing by Vice right now that would prevent them from speaking until it is finished. They may be able to make some personal statements on twitter or something, but maybe no big articles yet.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure waypoint would talk about this but legal issues might prevent them from doing so until they are cleared. Yes this does put them in between a rock and hard place because they have been so focal about things like this in the past. I'm interested to see what they will say (if they can say anything legally) about this.

SevKnight

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
City of Apples
I liked VICE better when they used to post daily content from their reporters abroad and their documentaries, before they went HBO and turned into a variety nightly news show.

Otheradam

Shinra Employee
Nov 1, 2017
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to accused Vice of misconduct. Like, it was a super hipster magazine first that became a media empire. They are basically the American Apparel of media.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
No industry?

No woman is safe. Keep in mind this shit happens everywhere, and when i say everywhere i mean it probably happens very close to you too. The women you know, the men you know, the ones you trust, think about them all.
Huh? You're saying nothing I already didn't say in my initial statement. Useless piggyback statement.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Huh? You're saying nothing I already didn't say in my initial statement. Useless piggyback statement.

I don't think it was a useless statement at all. They are agreeing with you, just saying that additionally women face the horrors of sexual harassment outside of any industry as well, from society and life itself. Sexual harassment is a problem in every industry because it is a problem with our patriarchal society overall.

It is valuable for one industry to have these issues come to the surface and finally be adressed, but it really is kind of playing whackamole until society addresses how we treat women and men when it comes to sexuality, consent, and equality.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

The waypoint members all tweeted this. Seems like legal put the leash on them and they're not speaking up.

Danika posted the tweet in the waypoint forums with this statement:

I apologize for the delay on this. I am speaking for myself and the rest of the team when I say: We do not condone harassment of any kind. While contractually we're unable to speak on this specific matter, we have been anxiously waiting for a statement. The VICE Union just published the following statement, which we echo wholeheartedly. We absolutely understand the frustration with the delay here, and we echo that frustration as well. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Well it sounds like they aren't denying anything and are standing with the victims, so that is a good start. I hope this means that they are going to deal with these harassers and maybe change up the culture that led to this situation.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Specifics about these allegations aren't needed but they can't speak on their own experience in general with Vice?

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

The waypoint members all tweeted this. Seems like legal put the leash on them and they're not speaking up.

Danika posted the tweet in the waypoint forums with this statement:

The Vice Union statement definitely seems to indicate they're not making much progress with the company itself. The use of words like "challenged", "worked hard" and "continue to demand" suggest intransigence on the company's part.

I think they should speak out, anonymously if necessary. Go to a legitimate news source if needed to do so.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no singular correct way for internal employees to handle a situation like this and expecting one group to follow another group's template 1:1 is very unfair.

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
There's no singular correct way for internal employees to handle a situation like this and expecting one group to follow another group's template 1:1 is very unfair.
My thoughts exactly. What the people at IGN did was courageous and commendable but I'm not going to blast anyone for not risking their livelihood in this economy.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Easier to applaud others than do it oneself, I guess. But who knows about the specifics of the situation. We'll see how it develops, but it's not a great look. I'll add the vice union statement to OP.

Being a part of a union might also limit what they can say (and is a difference between IGN and Waypoint). Generally, you want to work through the union on matters like this as collective action is more powerful (the entire point of forming a union).