Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Uh my next car is a Volvo EX90 fully electric SUV. You ok, man?
Oh i'm doing fine. Nice product, just a 2800kg car that requires a 111kwh battery to move. Perfect for the environment 💀 I see that some of the units will be made in China as well, absolutely perfect.

The battery is also 100% made in China 😭😭 I'm sure they followed all the best practices to ensure the production had a minimal impact on the environment.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I think what a lot of people figure is that if the car is only worth a few thousands dollars, which I'm sorry to say, your car is, then when it has a $3K repair bill, that means the car is technically "totalled" (as it needs the same amount of money in repairs to get running again as the entire car is worth). An insurance company would tell you much the same thing.

You're not wrong, but repairing it is still the cheaper option, and a Civic is a reliable enough car where keeping it going is worth it.

Yes, Volvo is Chinese. I suspect the poster knows this.

I wouldn't say they're Chinese, but they are owned by a Chinese company and some of the cars are built there. But they still design and build cars in Europe, and still operate somewhat on their own.

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
Yes, Volvo is Chinese. I suspect the poster knows this.
Volvo Cars remains headquartered in Torslanda in Gothenburg, Sweden. I understand a Chinese holding company owns them, but that doesn't mean the corporation is a Chinese entity or that their cars are suddenly designed in China now.
Oh i'm doing fine. Nice product, just a 2800kg car that requires a 111kwh battery to move. Perfect for the environment 💀 I see that some of the units will be made in China as well, absolutely perfect.

The battery is also 100% made in China 😭😭 I'm sure they followed all the best practices to ensure the production had a minimal impact on the environment.
This is an embarrassing post. I'm supposed to feel worse about driving my electric car than you feel driving an ICE car because my car uses parts from China and weighs more, due to the battery, and you're actually attempting to spread the old "worse for the environment" FUD while you're at it.

What is even going on in this thread? I'm out.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I agree...but US manufacturers aren't even trying. They seem to think EVs have to be fully loaded and cost $60k+. Just give me a low-end, 200km-range EV with no frills! The people yearn for a $20k EV for commuter use.

You'd think that. But all of the models that have been sold in America that are stripped, have very low range, and so on have sold like garbage outside of the bolt EV

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yes the West is changing, they are going to copy China and start banning foreign goods and services. China being able to ban Facebook etc while pushing Tiktok on the world was not going to last forever.
It will continue in the world, just not in US (maybe, I still doubt the ban will happen)

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
You really want me to explain why giving away EV license plates for free should be considered an indirect subsidy to EV makers?
Before doing that, I want you to explain a couple of things:
1. What does consistent treatment of gasoline and other carbon taxes look like in this calculation?
2. What percentage of EV sales in China does the free licensing scheme cover?

The second question is the more important one.

Last edited:

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I agree...but US manufacturers aren't even trying. They seem to think EVs have to be fully loaded and cost $60k+. Just give me a low-end, 200km-range EV with no frills! The people yearn for a $20k EV for commuter use.

Honest question - would this theoretical car compete with an off-lease $35k-$40k MSRP car with 25-35k miles on it, given a $4k point of sale rebate (money "on the hood") during a sale? I don't think it would.

The initial draft and the regulatory evolution of the incentives to US customers has been to make leases of new EVs very attractive (lower cap cost), and then sales of EVs coming off those leases more attractive.

This is all in keeping with one of the big pillars of the IRA-to build the cars in the US and meet the automakers in the US (which isn't just US automakers, but Japanese makes and European makes, many of which make their cars in the US already) where they are at-and create more unionized jobs. Key there is unionized, this part of the IRA was a big nod to union membership growth as part of a huge political fight by Democrats try to keep the union working class from polarizing to Republicans like the rest of the working class has.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Honest question - would this theoretical car compete with an off-lease $35k-$40k MSRP car with 25-35k miles on it, given a $4k point of sale rebate (money "on the hood") during a sale? I don't think it would.

The initial draft and the regulatory evolution of the incentives to US customers has been to make leases of new EVs very attractive (lower cap cost), and then sales of EVs coming off those leases more attractive.

This is all in keeping with one of the big pillars of the IRA-to build the cars in the US and meet the automakers in the US (which isn't just US automakers, but Japanese makes and European makes, many of which make their cars in the US already) where they are at-and create more unionized jobs. Key there is unionized, this part of the IRA was a big nod to union membership growth as part of a huge political fight by Democrats try to keep the union working class from polarizing to Republicans like the rest of the working class has.
The lease credit does not have a place of manufacture or sourcing requirement. That is why the Biden Administration was able to write regulations applying it to South Korean vehicles. In fact, various newspaper outlets were bragging about this feat when the regulations came out. You would have to: 1. compare off lease vehicles for both, where the only difference is the $4,000 used vehicle credit or 2. explain why the theoretical $20k vehicle would not be put up for lease.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
While I do understand how subsidies for Chinese EVs is "unfair" for our US automakers it's just hilarious how many bailouts and subsidies US automakers get as well...but we don't get cheaper cars we get stock buybacks to enrich the shareholders.

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
I can kind of see this happening with the way the wind is blowing. It also depends on how popular Chineese brands can get in the US before they start regulating.

There is a lot of the opposite happening atm in China towards western companies, essentially kicking them out of entire industries.

I saw a BYD for the first time this week and it looked really nice at a glance.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
The political environment has changed massively over just the last eight years. The free trade consensus doesn't exist in either political party. We won't even get into a trade agreements with Vietnam/Japan/The Philippines (we backed out of the trade provisions recently of one agreement in negotiation), these are like cornerstone countries in our Asian foreign policy.

What's happened is that working-class voters have polarized, they don't like free trade, and Republicans can't win without them and Democrats can't win without mitigating how much Republicans win the group by. Cheap EVs, and even the environmental/climate issue as a whole, are repeatedly not a working class isssue, it is an elite/professional class one. Thats why Donald Trump rails against EVs in his silly campiagn rallies.

I just want to piggyback off this post to highlight what's going on between Brazil and China, because this is a global issue. 12-18 months ago we had all this talk about the BRICS coming together, alternative to the dollar yadda yadda yadda. Well lets fast forward to today. Brazil's chemical industry, other industries as well, but lets just focus on chemicals, is under serious pressure. Capacity is down by more than a third, they're accusing China of dumping, so they're threatening retaliatory tariffs. The alternative is for Brazil to do nothing, import chemicals, which will negatively impact their industry, layoffs all around, govt stabilizers/support kicks in, govt has to fund the stabilizers/support in the short term via debt issuance.

You can see why Brazil doesn't want this excess Chinese capacity to enter they're market. China has a lack of internal demand, they have to sell they're production somewhere, or they're the ones doing the furloughs/layoffs/factory closures instead of Brazil. China can stimulate internal demand with targeted fiscal support to households, they chose not to. And so the dance continues.

Folks can laugh at the oligarchs getting dunked on, but at the end of the day, they're fine, they'll live, the folks downstream not so much.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Well lets fast forward to today. Brazil's chemical industry, other industries as well, but lets just focus on chemicals, is under serious pressure. Capacity is down by more than a third, they're accusing China of dumping, so they're threatening retaliatory tariffs. The alternative is for Brazil to do nothing, import chemicals, which will negatively impact their industry, layoffs all around, govt stabilizers/support kicks in, govt has to fund the stabilizers/support in the short term via debt issuance.
Is this an applicable comparison?

The proposed ban mainly targets EVs, because that is the main type of vehicle that China is exporting (and has a competitive edge in). We know what Chinese EV prices are like, because they have been exporting to Europe and Australia: $20,000 range for subcompact hatchbacks and $30,000 range for compact crossovers and compact sedans. The US has ICEs in this range, so it is really US EVs that need to come down in price to avoid being pushed out of the market.

The posters in the topic are against the US proposal because they want to phase out ICEs in favor of EVs, and they are fine with using Chinese EVs to do so. Similarly, they want to replace fossil fuels with renewable energy, and Chinese solar panels are welcome in this effort. I don't think either is a long-term sustainable option, but they are substantial improvements over the US taking however long it wants to decarbonize for geopolitical reasons. The posts here are driven by the recognition that a speedy transition out of fossil fuels will require cheap non-emitting replacements, and Chinese manufacturing is the most viable answer. That recognition drives much of the support for Chinese EVs (and solar). The thread would be quite different if the proposal targeted Chinese steel or cement.

What would be the comparable urgent need in Brazil's chemical industry?

Last edited:

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
which I'm sorry to say, your car is,

Don't be. I'm aware that it's not worth anything, but I don't care about that. I care about it's functionality. I've had it since 2006 and this is the first major repair that broke the $1k mark in 18 years.

If my next major bill doesn't come due for another 5 years, and then another 5 after that, I feel like I'm making out better than buying a new car that I can't afford. Now I have no disillusion that I can keep this going in perpetuity, but I'm going to make it last as long as I believe is feasible and hopefully this industry straightens itself out by the time I decide to shop in earnest.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an applicable comparison?

The proposed ban mainly targets EVs, because that is the main type of vehicle that China is exporting (and has a competitive edge in). We know what Chinese EV prices are like, because they have been exporting to Europe and Australia: $20,000 range for subcompact hatchbacks and $30,000 range for compact crossovers and compact sedans. The US has ICEs in this range, so it is really US EVs that need to come down in price to avoid being pushed out of the market.

The posters in the topic are against the US proposal because they want to phase out ICEs in favor of EVs, and they are fine with using Chinese EVs to do so. Similarly, they want to replace fossil fuels with renewable energy, and Chinese solar panels are welcome in this effort. I don't think either is a long-term sustainable option, but they are substantial improvements over the US taking however long it wants to decarbonize for geopolitical reasons. The posts here are driven by the recognition that a speedy transition out of fossil fuels will require cheap non-emitting replacements, and Chinese manufacturing is the most viable answer. That recognition drives much of the support for Chinese EVs (and solar). The thread would be quite different if the proposal targeted Chinese steel or cement.

What would be the comparable urgent need in Brazil's chemical industry?

My post was an add-on as to why even "traditional" trade partners are reluctant to deepen ties at this juncture, and I gave an example to illustrate, nothing more.
Yellen minced no words on how the admin feels over the last couple of weeks on EVs/solar, they repeatedly harped on having to absorb Chinese overcapacity. It'll be back and forth between the two, both sides trying to protect their workers/industry. I mean almost three years ago (maybe less) the admin blocked panels out of Malaysia, and a few other countries, that were set up as conduits to move Chinese panels into the US, a few months later they backtracked and opened imports again for 24 months. Things change, there's give and take, they're both trying to find balance.

Coolent

Banned
Apr 13, 2024
Chinese companies like BYD, Geely, Xpeng, Li Auto, NIO, will dominate the global car industry.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
About the safety being on-par with European cars: Yes and no.

The BYD CEO is on record for saying that they will not release a car in Europe or Australia unless it can get a 5-star safety rating. This has to do with their marketing strategy. They want to be known as a brand that sells a car for about the price of the base trim of their competitors (or slightly cheaper), but with the features of the premium trim. They do not want to be known as a brand of cheap cars. Chinese automakers that export their own brands to Europe follow similar strategies.

This means that the automakers will refuse to release a model that they think cannot get a 5-star safety rating, or they will re-engineer the car until they think they can get the rating.

Coolent

Banned
Apr 13, 2024
I wouldn't be surprised if BYD is building 5 million cars a year in 3 years, given they are likely to hit 3 million this year, which would make them slightly bigger than GM and Ford in terms of total cars sold.
The difference would be that the majority of that 5 million sales would still be inside China, which would mean BYD (along with the rest of the better run domestic Chinese automakers) will continue to take sales away from foreign joint venture (JV) automakers. In 3 years, I would say Mazda and Citroen's JVs will probably be toast, Ford and Hyundai Kia's JVs will be on the brink, Honda and Nissan's JVs will likewise suffer heavily, and even the big 3 JVs - VW, GM, and Toyota will have lost significant market share.
Outside of China, I would think in 3 years BYD will have gotten a pretty significant chunk of market in SE Asia and AUS/NZ markets, especially since their Thailand plant will be up and running churning out RHD drive cars for many of those markets. BYD would be poised to make a big push in Latin America at that time with their Brazil plant almost done and maybe a Mexico plant too. BYD will probably still only have a small foothold in Europe and zero access to the US market, but I think they'll probably be fine with that. Too much geopolitical risk in those regions, and BYD's bread and butter is still on lower end EVs.
Tesla is already backtracking on that Mexico factory and this supposed low cost Model 2 or whatever it is going to be called, probably with a lot of its resources directed at the high margin Cybertruck, and if Tesla is not careful, BYD is going to spread across every emerging world market and flooded them with low cost BEVs (and PHEVs) before Tesla even makes its own cheap EV.
It does seem crazy that maybe in 2026, BYD might sell 4.5 million cars in China and another 1 million cars outside of China, but I wouldn't be that surprised if they actually manage to do it. I mean who in 2020 would have predicted that BYD would be selling 3 million cars in 2023?

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
gotta love how the US and other western imperialist countries tell the rest of the world that free market is the solution for us, then try to protect their industries, then put trillions into their military and research, then tell us that the commies are bad because they try to do the same process in their countries

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Small, well-built Chinese EV called the Seagull poses a big threat to the US auto industry

A tiny, low-priced electric car called the Seagull has American automakers and politicians trembling.

The car, launched last year by Chinese automaker BYD, sells for around $12,000 in China, but drives well and is put together with craftsmanship that rivals U.S.-made electric vehicles that cost three times as much. A shorter-range version costs under $10,000.
But the rapid emergence of low-priced EVs from China could shake up the global auto industry in ways not seen since Japanese makers exploded on the scene during the oil crises of the 1970s. BYD, which stands for "Build Your Dreams," could be a nightmare for the U.S. auto industry.

"Any car company that's not paying attention to them as a competitor is going to be lost when they hit their market," said Sam Fiorani, a vice president at AutoForecast Solutions near Philadelphia. "BYD's entry into the U.S. market isn't an if. It's a when."
Outside of China, EVs are often pricey, aimed at a higher-income niche market. But Chinese brands that are not yet global household names are offering affordable options that will appeal to the masses — just as the U.S., European and many other governments are encouraging a shift away from gasoline-powered vehicles to fight climate change.

"The Western markets did not democratize EVs. They gentrified EVs," said Bill Russo, the founder of the Automobility Ltd. consultancy in Shanghai. "And when you gentrify, you limit the size of the market. China is all about democratizing EVs, and that's what will ultimately lead Chinese companies to be successful as they go global."
Inside a huge garage in an industrial area west of Detroit, a company called Caresoft Global tore apart and reassembled a bright green Seagull that its China office purchased and shipped to the U.S.

Company President Terry Woychowski, a former chief engineer on General Motors' big pickup trucks, said the car is a "clarion call" for the U.S. auto industry, which is years behind China in designing low-cost EVs.
After the teardown, Woychowski, who has been in the auto business for 45 years, said he was left wondering if U.S. automakers can adjust. "Things will have to change in some radical ways in order to be able to compete," he said.
BYD designs all aspects of its vehicles with cost and efficiency in mind. For instance, the Seagull has only one windshield wiper, eliminating one motor and one arm, saving on weight, cost and labor to install.

U.S. automakers don't often design vehicles this way and incur excess engineering costs, Woychowski said. Hoses, for instance, have to meet longstanding requirements in combustion engines for strength and ability to carry fluid under high pressure, many of which aren't needed for electric vehicles, he added.
So Detroit needs to quickly re-learn a lot of design and engineering to keep up while shedding practices from a century of building vehicles. The trick will be determining which procedures to keep for safety and quality, and which to jettison because they aren't needed, he said.

"You're going to have to come and be extremely serious about this, and you better park your paradigms at the door," Woychowski said. "Because you're going to have to do things differently."

apnews.com

Small, well-built Chinese EV called the Seagull poses a big threat to the US auto industry

The car, Seagull, launched last year by Chinese automaker BYD, sells for around $12,000 in China.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
...For instance, the Seagull has only one windshield wiper, eliminating one motor...

Maybe it would be a good idea to start cost cutting by using 1 motor for 2 wipers.
I believe that person has absolutely no clue about cars.

s-l640.jpg

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
The more small, electric, but safe cars on the road to replace large gas guzzlers would be a dream come true. But something tells me the US auto makers don't quite grasp the concept.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
«Why bother with green technology when huge countries like China will polute anyway?»

China pushes green tech

«😡»

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't get this whole overcapacity talk from US/EU. For example I think Chinese car companies had around 2,5% market share in Europe and 60% - 75% of that was in UK because of some big deal with car rent company or something like that. On top of that it seems like EU is off by it's own predictions by 10 million cars from it's goal to put EVs on the road and one reason is that European manufacturers are not making enough cars in needed speed. I guess EU simply can't compete with China and even with joint subsidies, it would eventually lose because it cannot manfufacture as cheaply as China, at least until they can caught up in the automation of factories.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
Wife and I have been down to one beater car for like 2 years. We both work from home so while inconvenient at times we have made it work. The prices here in US have just been unbelievable. Whether or not the Chinese vehicles are banned or tariffed to hell, I appreciate the disruption they are going to hopefully have on the status quo. The complete lack of budget vehicles from most of the major manufacturers is insane.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
What I find baffling about this discourse is that China has been manufacturing sub-$5k vehicles for years and this has never been a threat in the west because no one actually wants those cars here. They sell to a domestic and south East Asian audience and that's about it.

Fair or not there is a negative perception of build quality in Chinese manufacturing, no one who is looking at a Tesla is going to look at these budget vehicles as a serious alternative, at least not in America.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but they said it needs only 1 wiper motor while other cars need 2.
Which is complete nonsense.
It saves on one wiper arm though - which I'll point out is nothing new either. Quite a few smaller cars use(d) a single wiper design, like Audi A2. It's just that probably the minimal added complexity to have two wipers is worth the larger visibility that two wipers provide during the rain.

Fair or not there is a negative perception of build quality in Chinese manufacturing, no one who is looking at a Tesla is going to look at these budget vehicles as a serious alternative, at least not in America.
Used to be the case with South Korean cars as well, but look at things now. I'm not old enough to have seen it first hand, but I've been told that even Japanese cars had the same stigma in US at one point, which seems laughable today.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
What I find baffling about this discourse is that China has been manufacturing sub-$5k vehicles for years and this has never been a threat in the west because no one actually wants those cars here. They sell to a domestic and south East Asian audience and that's about it.

I know quite a few folks who absolutely will if the price is much lower than a Tesla. I'm positive the price would be way more important than who makes it.

Folks buy Chinese built stuff all the time.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

lol. If Tesla is the benchmark of build quality in the US, they really should be worried now.
www.theautopian.com

I Drove A Bunch Of Chinese Cars And They Are Amazing: How China Learned To Build Better Cars While The West Was Sleeping - The Autopian

Chinese cars have been in the news lately, as they — to many — represent a threat to the American auto industry. At the same time, they represent a potential relief in what many see as an overly expensive EV landscape, and thus a way to potentially get more people to give up gas guzzlers […]